Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2014, 17:52   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Karthikeyan to test Tata Motor's Cars for ride, handling, dynamics & more

My first instinct when I read the title was that this is just to make news rather than testing the dynamics of the car. Definitely more of a PR exercise than adding any significant value to the car. I still believe that Tata engineers & their team is much better at this work than NK.
The bottom line is that Tata is doing all it can and probably trying a little too hard to sell its passenger cars. Somehow, regardless of how the final product is, to their dismay, the numbers are not coming for Tata and they want to try everything out. Probably their desperate try before Bolt & Zest hit the counters.

Last edited by saket77 : 31st March 2014 at 17:54.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 18:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

I believe the time is just right as Tatas look to launch a fresh lineup in the second half and next year. As someone rightly said if I have to choose between a brand hiring SRK and a brand hiring NK I would go with the latter. And then again NK isn't exactly the brand ambassador.
I am surprised at some people's tendency to bash anything Tata. People said Nano was a branding disaster. So now they are hiring the best driver in India to have a look at things and give more credibility to brand Tata. Still it's bad for some.
And finally it's the attitude that has to change. With his experience of running in the F1 circuit if NK can tune the attitudes of the designers and test drivers and engineers towards providing a better FTD car I think it's much more of an input than personally driving the car.
Old 31st March 2014, 19:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I assume that all those who are skeptical can drive Indicas or Indigos better than Narain Karthikeyan.
That's precisely the point. If Narain Karthikeyan with his 'expertise' (I'm assuming he has some talent) can drive a current generation Indica better than a regular Indian, does that make Indica a better handler when you or me drive it? I don't think so. Just because someone who drives better than me finds a car okay doesn't necessarily mean I'll be comfortable with its handling.

On the other hand, if Tata Motors makes a car that wont go off-track if and when driven by my mom, I have full confidence that I'll be able to handle it easily.
Old 31st March 2014, 19:30   #19
BHPian

Whether its PR exercise or NK is actually adding some value to product development, I don't see anything wrong here.
If we cannot appreciate, at least we have no right to bash them on anything & everything.

Just take it as a piece of information & chill guys.
S.MJet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 19:32   #20
BHPian

I am pretty sure that Narain is already aboard Tata Motors PR machinery and is definitely giving inputs on the current vehicles including recent launches.

AFAIK Sumo Gold, Refreshed Indigo eCS, Vista D90, Bolt & Zest have all got inputs from NK during various stages and that is a huge positive for Tata.
Old 31st March 2014, 19:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

As much as I appreciate their effort and the intent, this is quite meaningless IMHO.

Not that NK doesn't know how regular passenger cars are, but the perception would be that his expertise is in F1. Hence the negative comments even in Team-BHP.

Even my initial reaction was that TATA needs to understand a normal persons POV, not an expert like NK when it comes to tuning the drivability of regular passenger cars. Its fine if they use his inputs for truck racing, but when it comes to regular driving, they could've simply chosen another face.

lol Its like hiring an rocket scientist from ISRO to make crackers for Diwali.

Anyway, whatever floats their boat.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 20:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Again some bean counter at work. They already have people in their arsenal, who are well versed in this field. Such a shame, they pay a ransom to someone when their own employees are capable of doing the job.

Spike
Old 31st March 2014, 20:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

I would say, appreciate TML's efforts and take NK's service as an 'value add' if at all it is.
Now I sincerely hope that NK's fees does not add the 'real' value to the cars, You know what I mean '$$'

Good luck TATA!
HammerHead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 21:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Why is such bashing and hullabaloo going on? Its simple, Tata Motors has been supporting NK for many years. If they choose to avail his service to improve the ride and handling of their products, what's the big deal ! He certainly knows a thing or two about dynamics.
fz_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 21:23   #25
BHPian

We are failing to notice that big, systematic changes are afoot in tata motors. It is not just this NK thing or the showing at the auto expo. There is already a distinct improvement in ASS, new company owned Concorde dealers are being setup, and dealerships are being upgraded. In any case, even before all this, the quality and reliability levels of the Vista, Manza, Nano and Safari Storme already displayed huge improvements in standards.

That is the problem with being a victim of double standards on a mass scale: you are always damned, irrespective of the actual truths about your performance.

Disclosure: I do not and have never owned any Tata vehicle, though I have friends who are happy enough with their Stormes, Nanos and Manzas.
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 22:02   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Ah! this does make me wonder...
If this is a publicity stunt, a poor one if that as NK was a horrid in F1 ; ), or if he will genuinely be following the production of a vehicle from start to finish.

On the other hand I do Indeed look forward to TATA Motors future, Which looks bright
if their showing at the recent auto show is anything to go by.
I think you are not following F1. you know that for NK, Tata motors was the only big sponsor and they have a very long time relationship. Now a days it's all about money in F1 to get a driver seat. Even if you have talent you need big sponsor for driver seat. Yes NK might not be as good as some legends of F1 but that doesn’t mean he is bad. I have seen his F1 race and with the car given he did his best. For example check Paul di Resta, he was a good driver and finished higher than Adrian Sutil last year but he is out of F1 this year, because he doesn’t have a big sponsor.
Sudan_NFS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 22:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Handling levels of a regular Maruti is what the customers expect from Tata Motors.Trying to achieve the satisfactory handling levels of an F1 driver might be just unnecessary over-spending. After all, Tata Motors would still sell the car with front disc brakes and rear drum brakes, and no ABS on base version even if they design a car that is satisfactory to Narain. What is the point of all this futile exercise? I feel this is just a marketing gimmick.
How did you assume Tata customers want maruti's handling level's?

How did you assume they are trying to satisfy handling levels of an F1 driver? Do you think it is possible for anyone to do that in a passenger car?

Lets assume this is a marketing gimmick, isn't this a positive one?Not many people follow F1, but image of narain as a F1 driver is etched in our minds, so the fact that he was not a very successfull F1 driver does not make any difference since he was the first person to reach that stage from india, which is a big big achievement.

Do you expect people to sell base version cars equipped with ABS and all round discs in our market?

Last edited by silverado : 31st March 2014 at 22:22.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 22:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Does Tata Motors think that improving handling and road manners would bring customers into the showoom ?

So if Aria could take a sweeping turn at insance speeds, would it outsell the Innova ?

It is a very well known and proven fact that Tata lacks in Quality and Customer service (A.S.S). instead of doing such gimmicks, they could very well invest in a good Customer care and much much better QC.

I would buy an Aria over an Innova or XUV5OO if it is reliable and the customer service team is friendly. I would not buy it even if it handles like a lamborghini Diablo, but is not reliable.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 31st March 2014 at 22:36.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 22:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
I think you are not following F1. you know that for NK, Tata motors was the only big sponsor and they have a very long time relationship. Now a days it's all about money in F1 to get a driver seat. Even if you have talent you need big sponsor for driver seat. Yes NK might not be as good as some legends of F1 but that doesn’t mean he is bad. I have seen his F1 race and with the car given he did his best. For example check Paul di Resta, he was a good driver and finished higher than Adrian Sutil last year but he is out of F1 this year, because he doesn’t have a big sponsor.
I do not follow F1 eh? ^_^...

Nowadays? No. It's been like that for a while now. They used to be called Gentleman drivers If I remember correctly, back in the day.
There are many drivers who bring talent and money to F1, ALO in his early years and still with Santandar.
He did his best with the HRT? If his best is being out classed by an older Pedro de la Rosa(Q-16/3 & R-9/0) at almost every Imaginable way then I rest my case. My rubbishing of NK is based solely on the fact he was a talentless being who was taking up perhaps a slot of a future ALO. The same reason I have a very low opinion of Max Chilton.

Now, This discussion isn't on my knowledge of F1 or the Incompetence of Narain Karthikeyan but his contribution to TATA, If any.
I will end this discussion with you here for I'm certain this is off-topic and against their rules.
Old 31st March 2014, 23:16   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Gents, can we for once learn to appreciate all the efforts that Tata Motors is making in giving the country and its people a car that we can happily, peacefully own and be proud of it. I feel even good things being done by the company are either being frowned upon or rubbished off as a publicity stunt.
NK might not have been greatly successful in F1, but lets recall that F1 is not an easy sport to get in to. He would have spent days at end preparing and training for it. The fact that the man reached such a pinnacle speaks volumes for him. Also the man didn't get a seat to the top teams and hence speaking such things about him in our respected forum is uncalled for.
Am I the only one or does anyone else also feel that we Indians have a habit of sneering at all things 'Made in Indian'
While Tata motors launched an ad for the vista performed by professional drivers who performed in a racing circuit ,Maruti suzuki tried to counter it by bringing out an ad for the swift which flew around the screen using computer graphics! Its my observation that the majority of people who pass derogatory comments regarding a manufacturer or their products have never owned or even driven those cars. They just pass comments for the sake of being noticed!
Passiondrive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks