Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2014, 21:35   #16
BHPian

Re: Is Maruti silently discontinuing the Ritz & Dzire AT?

Being the Market leader, if Maruti introduces AMT in other models, those too would sell like hot cakes and soon AMT would become the alternate word for automatic transmission atleast in the B and B+ segments. Conventional Automatics would appear to be rather "unconventional" at such a point of time.
Old 5th April 2014, 12:12   #17
BHPian

Considering the possibility of Tata bringing in AMT in Zest and Bolt, Maruti should be planning to take the competition head on with the Ritz and DZire AMT. Advantage of price and efficiency is too good to resist. Everything else takes a backseat in our market.
I am keenly waiting to see how AMT versions from different manufacturers compete.
Old 5th April 2014, 19:54   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Sorry for going off-topic. My only point is that why take bookings in the first place if the waiting period crosses a certain period, say 2 months. In such cases, the consumer will can have a rethink on the brand that he is going for and maybe after some amount of research can zero in on a competent model from another manufacturer. Providing a waiting period means he is many a time stuck to his decision.
When the customers are ready to book a car even after knowing about the huge waiting, then why would the company just refuse to book? That would be similar to shutting the door on the customers face. In that case, people would bash up maruti saying they are rude and arrogant by not accepting bookings. Also, if MSIL knows how many customers are in line, they can at least ramp up production and make the car reach the customer well ahead of the promised date. There are people whom I know who got their cars in half the waiting time committed for. At least they are all happy since their expectations are exceeded. Thats way better than shutting new bookings.

On the other hand, suppose they close bookings, later ramp up production and reopen bookings, the wonderful opportunity may be lost to a competitor. Hence, they won't like closing bookings for sure.
Old 6th April 2014, 13:08   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

On the other hand, suppose they close bookings, later ramp up production and reopen bookings, the wonderful opportunity may be lost to a competitor. Hence, they won't like closing bookings for sure.
Agree.And I don't think MSIL ever penalizes the customers if he/she chooses to cancel the booking at some point of time.AFAIK, the full booking amount is refunded. Atleast, that is what I have seen in a couple of instances. This goes a long way in creating trust and confidence towards the brand in the customer's mind. The same customer who cancelled the booking and went for another brand, is highly likely to return to MSIL a few years later for a second car, if he was satisfied with the cancellation/refund procedure. And this is exactly where Ford went wrong initially with Ecosport booking cancellation.

So as someone pointed out earlier, the customer is not really tied to the car for the whole duration of waiting period.
Old 6th April 2014, 13:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

I have some doubts about their plan for Ritz as well. Last week Mandovi guys were at my apartment with a demo Ritz, TD and offering deep discounts for booking it. I was wondering what is new with this car now? Looking back, it might have been a stock clearance attempt. Btw, I was not aware of Ritz coming in AT configuration and don't understand the connection with AMT conversion mentioned here. I dont think they are planning to convert their smaller MT models to AMT.

Last edited by vasoo : 6th April 2014 at 13:26.
Old 6th April 2014, 16:57   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I have some doubts about their plan for Ritz as well. Last week Mandovi guys were at my apartment with a demo Ritz, TD and offering deep discounts for booking it. I was wondering what is new with this car now? Looking back, it might have been a stock clearance attempt. Btw, I was not aware of Ritz coming in AT configuration and don't understand the connection with AMT conversion mentioned here. I dont think they are planning to convert their smaller MT models to AMT.
If Maruti does plan to add AMT to the cars in their stable, I feel it should stop at the B segment. Going above Ritz/Swift wouldn't be a good idea.

I guess they are trying to clear stock of the Ritz which is regular to see.

Anurag.

Last edited by GTO : 7th April 2014 at 16:06. Reason: Typos
Old 6th April 2014, 17:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Understand this thread is only about petrols and potential move to AMT.
Why is there no diesel AMT being considered?
AMT + DDiS = paisa vasool!!
Old 5th July 2015, 20:45   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

The Maruti Ritz has been silently discontinued by Maruti-Suzuki India Limited.

The production of the car has been stopped and it is available for purchase for cab operators for a limited period.

Is Maruti silently discontinuing the Ritz & Dzire AT?-2013marutisuzukiritztestdrivereview.jpg

Quote:
Internationally known as the Splash, the Maruti Suzuki Ritz made its Indian debut back in 2009 and turned out be a successful offering in the Indian auto giant’s lineup.

However, with the model discontinued internationally last year and replaced by the new Celerio, it was evident that the Ritz would also make an exit from the domestic market eventually, something that Maruti has seldom done with its products.

That said, the deed has been done and the automaker has silently stopped production of the hatchback in the country.

We spoke too Maruti Suzuki dealers across the country who confirmed the same and also stated that the bookings for the existing stock have been restricted to taxi buyers only. Private car buyers won’t be able to purchase the model anymore.

Unlike its existing products, the Ritz won’t be replaced by a new generation model and instead the Celerio will be plying in its place.
MotorBeam

Last edited by RavenAvi : 5th July 2015 at 20:48.
RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 22:31   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

The production of the car has been stopped and it is available for purchase for cab operators for a limited period.
With over 1 lakh kms on this small little car from Maruti, it was a great to be owning with absolutely no problems in those 3 years of living. With my personal experience, I can say that this car was very very well packaged for the size and price that satisfied all who didn't want the Sporty Swift.

IMO, it had its own killer in it that has made it reach this stage today - The shape and lack of features compared to competition has made it loose sales month-on-month.

I still love the Ritz and given a chance I wouldn't mind having my older car back with me for that relaxed, spacious, airy fee! I was expecting some kind of refresh to this car by the year end but didn't know it has stopped being produced.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 22:58   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I was expecting some kind of refresh to this car by the year end but didn't know it has stopped being produced.
With so many products planned by Maruti, it will have to exit some for creating segments and generate volumes.
IMO, the Mini compact vehicle (IM-4) will partly fill this in pricing.
Old 6th July 2015, 10:50   #26
BHPian

Having TDed both Celerio AMT and the Polo GT TSI, 30 minutes apart and more than once, it's a no brainer that the DSG AT beats the AMT hands down when it comes to shifting and power transmission (No, I'm not comparing the engines by any means - that would border being sacreligious).

The point is what kind of premium we are willing to pay to be able to enjoy the most advanced AT versus a simpler mechanism that needs some adapting (read shift-on-tap).

To elucidate further, the cost, reliability, serviceability of the DSG have always been under scanner, ever since they've been around. Agreed, the AMT hasn't been around for too long, but a Magnetti Mirelli box definitely appears to be easier on the pocket to service, repair or replace vis-a-vis, say a Skoda DSG gearbox, in case the situation warrants.

Good or bad, I'm not too sure, but at least IMO, I don't see Maruti rethinking the AMT for it's "premier" offerings.

Last edited by pannags : 6th July 2015 at 10:51. Reason: typo
Old 6th July 2015, 11:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Unlike its existing products, the Ritz won’t be replaced by a new generation model and instead the Celerio will be plying in its place.
Does that mean that the Celerio will get the 1.2?

Either way, Maruti is bound to lose the Ritz sales of 2-3K per month. I do not see people, who would have otherwise bought the Ritz, buying the Celerio now. I have a feeling that they would opt for the Grand i10 instead. Just my opinion.
blue_pulsar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 11:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

As per latest AutocarIndia magazine, Maruti is going to launch the Dezire Diesel AMT soon. So I think this rumor about discontinuing TorqueConverter ATs is true.
Old 6th July 2015, 12:27   #29
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is completely unexpected! I thought they were planning to do a "Ritz Tour", but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

I don't understand how the Celerio can be a replacement for the Ritz.

The Celerio weighs 810 ~ 900 kg, and is powered by 68 PS three-pot & 47 PS two-pot engines. On the other hand, the Ritz weighs 1005 ~ 1125 kg, and is powered by 87 PS & 75 PS four-pot motors. How can the former be a replacement for the latter? Just because both of them happen to be tall boy hatchbacks?

I think the Ritz happens to be the heaviest Maruti Suzuki hatchback we have had in India so far. It was one solid and chunky little tall boy which was extremely practical, with rear seat headroom in a league of its own. The average NBA player would have been able to sit comfortably upright on its rear seat, which is not something that can be said of many cars.

Apart from the very subjective looks, the Ritz also received step-parental treatment from Maruti Suzuki. It's facelift was very minor, the 4-speed automatic version carried a ridiculous premium over the equivalent 5-speed manual variant, and it did not get some much needed features like Bluetooth connectivity etc. It was almost as if the company had decided to punish the Ritz for not selling in the numbers they wanted.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 12:49   #30
Team-BHP Support

But I do see the Ritz website and that, the prices are still being displayed. Any official confirmation from Maruti?

The Official website too shows Ritz in MUL's car collection.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks