Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2014, 17:04   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fun & Interesting Trivia on the Indian Car Scene

Learnt something new today from this forum itself and posting it back here as the information qualifies as a trivia. Call it the beauty of the forum.

Not many, including me, knew that Maruti Suzuki used to produce Maruti 800 AT; yes, with automatic gearbox, since the late 80s. The car was produced 'on request' for the disabled and a certificate of disability was required to order it from the factory
Old 21st April 2014, 17:32   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Not many, including me, knew that Maruti Suzuki used to produce Maruti 800 AT; yes, with automatic gearbox, since the late 80s. The car was produced 'on request' for the disabled and a certificate of disability was required to order it from the factory
I've heard about it but don't know any actual owner/car. Any details about the auto box of 800 like if it was 2-speed or 3-speed and so on? Also, any idea what was the premium charged for auto?

If I'm not mistaken, they continued this till they launched Zen and Esteem Automatics with the 3-speed auto box around 94 or 95. I'm not sure if they sold "made to order 800 ATs" once they had automatics in their regular line-up. Can anyone confirm?

Last edited by zenren : 21st April 2014 at 17:33.
Old 21st April 2014, 17:39   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I've heard about it but don't know any actual owner/car. Any details about the auto box of 800 like if it was 2-speed or 3-speed and so on? Also, any idea what was the premium charged for auto?

If I'm not mistaken, they continued this till they launched Zen and Esteem Automatics with the 3-speed auto box around 94 or 95. I'm not sure if they sold "made to order 800 ATs" once they had automatics in their regular line-up. Can anyone confirm?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...automatic.html
By this post, I am to believe that the M800 AT was manufactured at least as recent as the year 2000! Not sure though.

Edit: Got to know about the 800 AT by this thread:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...automatic.html

Last edited by saket77 : 21st April 2014 at 17:41.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 18:18   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...automatic.html
By this post, I am to believe that the M800 AT was manufactured at least as recent as the year 2000! Not sure though.

Edit: Got to know about the 800 AT by this thread:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...automatic.html
Thanks saket. It looks like a 2-speed automatic.
Old 21st April 2014, 23:07   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post

Also the first bike I know to sport a analog tachometer was CBZ. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Sorry, but I think that is not correct. RD350 had tachometer way back in the eighties itself. Even years before CBZ was launched Kawasaki KB100 RTZ had analog tachometer. KB-125 which later replaced the KB100, also had analog tachometer.And you missed Bajaj Caliber too,which had tachometer in all variants/iterations.

Quote:
I think CBZ was the first of the modern bikes to switch back to the international 1-down/4-up pattern after most bikes in India used all-up or all-down patterns with the see-saw gear levers. First generation Pulsar 150s had all down pattern I think.
Not entirely true. Yamaha bikes always had the universal one-down - three/four-up pattern.

I think the first modern bike to sport a 1-down/rest-up pattern from a manufacturer not otherwise following the universal pattern for its models was TVS-Suzuki Shaolin- not CBZ.

CBZ was just the first bike from HH to get the international pattern.

Talking about the Enfield diesel, I remember my friend's uncle had one. He used to tell that the heat produced from the diesel engine is so intense that over a period of time,it literally blackens the skin on that part of the legs which is exposed to the engine, particularly if the rider is wearing traditional dress like dhoti.

Taurus diesel had a power output of just 6 bhp.Don't remember the torque figure though.

I think HM was the pioneer in introducing "steering mounted controls" way back in the eighties itself.
The whole turn-signal control itself was mounted on the steering wheel. And we talk so big about getting some audio controls on the steering these days.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 00:16   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
Sorry, but I think that is not correct. RD350 had tachometer way back in the eighties itself. Even years before CBZ was launched Kawasaki KB100 RTZ had analog tachometer. KB-125 which later replaced the KB100, also had analog tachometer.And you missed Bajaj Caliber too,which had tachometer in all variants/iterations.

Not entirely true. Yamaha bikes always had the universal one-down - three/four-up pattern.

I think the first modern bike to sport a 1-down/rest-up pattern from a manufacturer not otherwise following the universal pattern for its models was TVS-Suzuki Shaolin- not CBZ.

CBZ was just the first bike from HH to get the international pattern.
Thanks Vinod for correcting me. I have never driven any of those bikes. Including Bajaj Caliber.

Also you are right on Yamaha, Yamaha bikes had 1 down 3/4 up gear shift pattern from the beginning. I have never heard or read of Yamaha having a different gear pattern.

Cheers

Last edited by voyageur : 22nd April 2014 at 00:17.
voyageur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 08:15   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napo View Post
What a wonderful thread!

TATA Sierra would be my pick of the lot. Wiki mentions that it was the first automobile to be designed and produced in India. It featured some firsts for Indian cars, such as the adjustable steering.

Who can forget the rough and smooth advertisement
Trivia on trivia - the Tata Sierra print ad tag line is lifted from a Dire Straits song titled "Ride Across the River".
Old 22nd April 2014, 08:57   #173
Senior - BHPian

Remember the old Fiat Siena ad which says "Get Noticed"? My friend sold his Siena because he was getting noticed only by the Service Center

Here is a list of punch lines for Cars. Source - http://fi.ge.pgstatic.net/attachment...4f7b05caf2.pdf

Hyundai Sonata - Redisover luxury
Opel - The flight of German engineering
BalenoAltura - Sleek silent spirited
Mercedes Benz - The future of the automobile
Hyundai Accent - Affordable luxury
Tata - Improving the quality of life
Fiat - Driven by passion
Maruti Esteem - Move ahead in luxury
Honda City - Gem of an engine, Jewel of a car
Honda City - Makes perfect sense
Mitsubishi Lancer - Own the road
BMW - The ultimate driving machine
Santro - India’s favourite family car
TATA Nano - Khushiyon ki chaabi
Maruti Versa - Two luxury cars in one
Ford Mondeo - Refined aggression
Fiat Palio - Technology. To the max
Opel Astra - The science of comfort
Fiat Siena - Get noticed
Wagon R - Feeling at home
Mahindra Scorpio - Nothing else will do
TVS Victor - More smiles per hour
Accent Viva - Rev your imagination
Honda Accord - End of discussion
Bajaj pulsar - Fear the black
Tata Safari - Make your own road
Tata Indigo - Spoil yourself

Last edited by jinojohnt : 22nd April 2014 at 09:00.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 10:09   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

The owner's manual for my 800 MT has information about the AT version too. The manual seems to be India specific, so no point of printing information for AT if they're made to order. Also, the manual for my 1987 Van has info. about an AT version too.

There's an 800 AT in Shivaji Park, Mumbai. That's the only M800 AT I've ever seen.
Old 22nd April 2014, 10:22   #175
BHPian

Very Informative Thread!!

I remember Palio and Cielo needed to press knob to engage the reverse gear, anybody knows the first car introducing this useful feature?

Wanted to share one instance - When I was in market selling our Palio , the potential customer had decided to take a spin. I was talking to his friends for 10 mins roadside, suddenly received a frantic call mentioning that the traffic is blocked near to Deccan river side road as the reverse gear is not working

Useful for some doesn't mean its universally suitable
sanstorm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 10:24   #176
BHPian

[quote=jinojohnt;3418357]Remember the old Fiat Siena ad which says "Get Noticed"? My friend sold his Siena because he was getting noticed only by the Service Center

Here is a list of punch lines for Cars. /QUOTE]

To add a few more:

Bajaj Caliber - Hoodi Baba
Bajaj Scooters - Hamara Bajaj
Opel Corsa - Achtung Baby
Old 22nd April 2014, 10:27   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Here's an Ad of the silver plus sourced from our very own TBHP. Never knew it was from Enfield until I read your post. Was it pitted against the TVS 50?

Attachment 1231714
Dad & grandpa both worked in Enfield.

We had 2 Explorers - both given from the company. It was supposed to be launched before TVS 50 but Enfield India had a management change and the new management were not dynamic enough. Meanwhile TVS 50 was launched and became a superhit and there were no takers for Explorer and the Silver Plus. All these bikes came from Enfield's tie-up with Zundapp!

Interesting trivia - Enfield was supposed to tie up with Ducati and talks were underway but they proved inconclusive. This was back in the 80's.
Old 22nd April 2014, 10:42   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Remember the old Fiat Siena ad which says "Get Noticed"? My friend sold his Siena because he was getting noticed only by the Service Center

Here is a list of punch lines for Cars.
I also vaguely remember "secure in a Siena" being used at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanstorm View Post
I remember Palio and Cielo needed to press knob to engage the reverse gear, anybody knows the first car introducing this useful feature?
I don't know the first car to have this, but Opel Corsa had the same feature, only difference is you had to pull the sleeve about the gear knob to engage the reverse. And people have had similar experience with my Corsa too.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 22nd April 2014 at 14:03. Reason: Please use the EDIT button instead of creating successive back-to-back posts.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 10:59   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmrsm View Post

To add a few more:

Bajaj Caliber - Hoodi Baba
Actually, no.
Caliber 115 was Hoodi Baba
Caliber was The Unshakeable.

I still have my 12 year old 2nd generation Caliber (which co-existed with Caliber Croma) which my mother bought for me during my engineering. Sadly, this version of Caliber existed in the market only for a brief period (some 6 months or so).

2nd generation Caliber had vast improvements over 1st generation. The differences I remember compared to my engineering roommate's 1st generation Caliber are:
- improved gear box
- better quality switches - the indicator switch would go back to centre after switching on and had to be pressed to switch off. Older Caliber's switch had to be pulled back to centre position to switch off. Also, engine on-off switch (was unique for Bajaj bikes back then) felt a lot lot better.
- better paint - my bike's red colour is metallic, compared to almost maroon of older Caliber

Caliber Croma came with different paint scheme (there was some Grape colour option). It also had dome kinda headlights instead of round ones (like CBZ). Croma was there for even shorter duration in the market. Soon they were all replaced by Caliber 115. The 115 had tyres with smaller radius if I remember right. It stood shorter compared to Caliber - probably making it easy for shorter people to ride.
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:01   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki used to produce Maruti 800 AT; yes, with automatic gearbox, since the late 80s. The car was produced 'on request' for the disabled and a certificate of disability was required to order it from the factory
Looking back, Maruti is the culprit here to associate an AT as something for the disabled people only. This was probably a major reason why AT trend didn't catch up sooner in India. It was pitched in as something for the 'disabled' in those days and the 'perfect' people didn't want to associate themselves with it.

At least some people still feel that using an AT means they are not as skilled as the others who use MT, thanks to the mindset of our orthodox society where it is a shame to admit you are not good at something even if you are an expert in dozen other things that matter. If your excuse is that you were abroad for many years and got used to driving ATs, that is something they'll accept. Anything else means you are incompetent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I also vaguely remember "secure in a Siena" being used at times.
I remember those Siena ads where they showed a child sleeping peacefully in the rear seat. I think this caption was used in those ads.

Last edited by zenren : 22nd April 2014 at 11:09.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks