Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:51   #376
BHPian

Re: Fun & Interesting Trivia on the Indian Car Scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
I guess this must be here as well-

Tata Nexon currently has 36 variants, which is the most for budget cars atleast!
I remember reading 2-3 years ago, that Tata has too many gaps in their product portfolios, and that maybe they are worried about cannibalizing their own sales and they should NOT BE. Also, many comparisons claiming that certain variants are not VFM or too higher priced... Well ... NOW ... I am sure we will find people complaining that these are too many!
Well, you can't please everyone. BUT - at least seems like people ARE putting their money where their mouth is and Tata is trying their best to please more people.

Although, honestly, I am of very poor opinion of Tata Sales personnel & showrooms (not service) - they are anyway very lethargic, not properly dressed, not enthusiastic and lagging in their knowledge. With this - one can only hope they won't bungle up bookings.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 20:36   #377
BHPian

Quote:
I guess this must be here as well-

Tata Nexon currently has 36 variants, which is the most for budget cars atleast!

The next car to have most number variants should be amongst the Hyundai-Kia crossover trio, i.e. the Creta/Seltos/Venue/Sonet! at around 20 variants each.
But they definitely didn't make quite the buzz that Kia made. Reason being all their variants were available right from Day-1! Tata took its sweet time, till the buzz slowed down, and now even if it has 99 variants, not many would take notice.
Old 23rd September 2020, 00:57   #378
BHPian

Hello Fellow Bhpians, a newbie here! This is my first ever post on Team-BHP so please bare with me for some unintentional/noob mistakes if any
Quote:
Well, with due respect to the Tata Motors' ambitious strategy to have a Nexon Variant available to cater every person according to their budget, this strategy is more of a waste of energy and resources imho.
The reason behind is :-
1. Nexon XM variant, which is considered to be the most value for money in it's line up has some some very entry level basic features only i.e 4 Speakers, Power Windows, Electrically Adjustible ORVM's, and a very tiny screen for infotainment system which almost can be seen as non-existent due to it's wierd positioning in the dashboard.
2. By spending 1 Lac INR extra , you get XZ variant which has feature additions limited to just Fog Lamps, 7 inch Touch Screen Infotainment, 4 Tweeters, Rear A.C vents and that's it. Heck even paying this much premium you still miss out on Driver Armrest, Rear Seat Armrest, Auto AC, Alloys (Even the tyre size is same as XM @ 195/60/16 instead of 215/60/16 in XZ+), Rear Defogger+Wipers.
The above mentioned features except Alloys are all present in the Sonet at 39000 Rupees less! (Comparing with HTK+).
{Nexon XZ- rs. 8,84,000}
{Sonet HTK+ - rs. 8,45,000}
3. The Nexon XM (S) variant which is priced between the XM and XZ (@8,36,000) i.e 52000 INR more than XM only gives you Sunroof, Auto Headlamps+Wipers, Steering mounted audio controls and that's it !
Imagine buying Nexon XM(s) with a sunroof for that premium feeling, but no Touch Screen (to connect your phone via Android Auto), No Armrest (to give your elbow some relief) ,No auto-ac (to feel pampered?), No Fog lamps, No Alloys (to show-off your sunroof equipped premium car to your neighbours)
My Opinion - Instead of introducing XM(s) variant just for the sake of giving a sunroof and increasing(confusing) the lineup; add a Sunroof in the XZ variant with just some basic additions such as Driver Armrest, Alloy Wheels, Auto AC in addition to the already existing features in XZ so that a customer buying XZ can atleast flex his car with some swag and not feel bad about the features that even Altroz XT has (cough* cough* a cruise control? eh!) [Although that might be too much to expect :0 ] and increase the price of XZ accordingly such that the premium be justified at least and not criticised!

-Rambo-RS
Rambo-RS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 07:07   #379
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Let's get back to discussing trivia please. The Nexon's variants have been discussed enough. Any further posts will be deleted. Thanks for the support & understanding
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 11:57   #380
BHPian

Not sure if this belongs here but this used to bug me a lot.
No transmission filter on OLX website with there HUGE listings.
So with least expectations pinged them about it and I'm glad that they implemented it.
Celebrating my "mini win"

Fun & Interesting Trivia on the Indian Car Scene-whatsapp-image-20201102-11.49.26-am.jpeg
Fun & Interesting Trivia on the Indian Car Scene-screenshot-20201102-11.49.41-am.png
RavSam is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 00:05   #381
BHPian

Updating this thread with an interesting but disappointing fact that the country's best selling cars in 10-25 lacs price range(Creta and Seltos) are also the best way to die upwards of Rs 10 lakh!

The Kia Seltos is the least safest car to purchase above 10 lakhs!

The Seltos scored a rubbish 8.03 points in adult protection and 15.00 in child safety, which is much lower than the previous two least safest cars priced above Rs.10 lakh, i.e. the Maruti Ertiga and Renault Duster!

While the Renault Duster managed marginally better scores in child safety than the Kia Seltos at 17.7 points, both the cars are far better than the tincan Seltos in terms of adult safety with the Duster scoring 9.00 and Ertiga scoring 9.25, which are much better than the Seltos's 8.03 points (Renault Kwid IV scored 8.28 points!)

The Seltos gets even more disappointing as it scores just 15 points for child safety (Same as i10 Nios)! The Duster meanwhile scores marginally better with 17.75 points and the Ertiga enters the league of likes of the Tata Nexon with 25 points upto its sleeves!

What is even more horrifying is that the Seltos shares it's platform with the Hyundai Verna, Hyundai Creta and the Hyundai Elantra as well!
theAutomaniac is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 00:52   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Updating this thread with an interesting but disappointing fact that the country's best selling cars in 10-25 lacs price range(Creta and Seltos) are also the best way to die upwards of Rs 10 lakh!

The Kia Seltos is the least safest car to purchase above 10 lakhs!
Mate I get it everyone is frustrated including me, I saw a very long comments section war on social media with a top journo in a leading magazine company and you wouldn’t believe it this person called people buying cars in the lower trims ‘Keyword Warriors’ to be precise blaming them for buying base variants, I was left aghast at this! Goes on to say that tata and Mahindra would be at the top of the table if the keyboard warriors were buying their safe cars.

There is a separate thread on road safety for this let’s keep discussing there, it has no relevance in this particular thread.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 15:11   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Mate I get it everyone is frustrated including me, I saw a very long comments section war on social media with a top journo in a leading magazine company and you wouldn’t believe it this person called people buying cars in the lower trims ‘Keyword Warriors’ to be precise blaming them for buying base variants, I was left aghast at this! Goes on to say that tata and Mahindra would be at the top of the table if the keyboard warriors were buying their safe cars.
Exactly! A lot of influencers are still supporting the Seltos! Except PR payments, I can't think of any reason behind this!

Quote:
There is a separate thread on road safety for this let’s keep discussing there, it has no relevance in this particular thread.
Even I know that this is a little off-topic, but then, it kind of counts as interesting trivia

Last edited by ajmat : 12th November 2020 at 21:49.
theAutomaniac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 16:48   #384
GTO
Team-BHP Support

From Jalopnik - This Indian car has the best spare tire bolt-tightening instructions you've ever seen

Quote:
“Tighten the Bolt until ‘TAK’ noise is heard 3 times,” the sticker on the wrench reads, and I can’t think of a better, more obvious, or intuitive way to make sure bolts get tightened enough.

This toolkit is from a Tata Harrier, Tata’s new flagship SUV. I checked out the Harrier’s owner’s manual, and it looks like their onomatopoeic approach to tire changing instructions shows up there, too:
Fun & Interesting Trivia on the Indian Car Scene-1.png
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 17:00   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember seeing this somewhere, Sirish Chandran had shared it. Earlier I thought it was the Thar but now it’s clear which car it is, the Harrier!

Fun & Interesting Trivia on the Indian Car Scene-1e28296795144ce48f9c9fcc1193a51f.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 19:01   #386
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Volvo bought 8% of Eicher as part of their tie-up for about Rs 100 crore in 2007. It sold this stake for a whopping 3615 crores in 2015 . Probably made more money from this stock deal than selling trucks & buses in the same period!

Source (Book Launch | Indian Icon - A Cult called Royal Enfield)
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 11:23   #387
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hard to believe this happened, considering that Maruti controls 50% of the market and the company has annual revenues of almost 100,000 crore rupees today.

But Sanjay Gandhi's Maruti - and the original reason that Maruti exists today - went into liquidation in 1977. Maruti became Maruti only because of Indira Gandhi's blessings. Mrs. Gandhi didn't want another bankruptcy & just had to have her son's dream come true. Doors were opened, permissions granted and no stone left unturned. Direct competitors were denied permission to collaborate with foreigners (e.g. Tata wanted to partner with Honda in the mid 80s). Approvals were given only when they knew the end result will be poor (Premier 118 NE) or won't compete with Maruti (HM Contessa).

Last edited by GTO : 9th March 2021 at 11:28.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 14:02   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tata wanted to partner with Honda in the mid 80s
Wow, that is the story behind the Honda Accord my grandpa(who spent 35+ years with Tata Motors) helped import. Thanks for sharing, GTO. Though he worked on exporting trucks & buses (from Kolkata), he still remembers the Honda Accord (in the 80s) as if it were something from outer space.

I’m glad we’ve put those days behind us and Tata is making sexy cars today.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 9th March 2021 at 14:03.
landcruiser123 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 15:25   #389
BHPian

Quote:
But Sanjay Gandhi's Maruti - and the original reason that Maruti exists today - went into liquidation in 1977. Maruti became Maruti only because of Indira Gandhi's blessings.
Not for a political discussion but it is of interest that Sonia Gandhi was MD of Maruti Heavy Vehicles(MHV).

Quote:
Whereas Sanjay Gandhi was drawing a salary of Rs. 48,000 per annum plus perquisites as managing director of Maruti Limited, Sonia Gandhi, his sister-in-law is drawing a salary of Rs. 30,000 per annum plus one per cent commission on net profits from MTS and drew an additional Rs. 13,000 from MHV from 8.7.1974 to 23.1.1975, Sonia Gandhi, however, resigned as managing director of MHV in favour of K.L. Jalan who was appointed as managing director with effect from 1.11.1975 at a salary of Rs. 4,000 per month for a period of five years.
Source:
https://www.indiatoday.in/magazine/c...672-2014-08-06
rajesh1868 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 14:07   #390
GTO
Team-BHP Support

How's this for trivia? The only anagram in India! From the Taigun thread:

Quote:
Trivia = this is perhaps the only anagram of a name we have in India. That is, Tiguan can be rearranged as Taigun (exact same alphabets).
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks