Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2015, 15:03   #751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
Do we have any link for this video?

The video has been posted below in this thread. Posting the link again for your benefit.
Old 5th July 2015, 15:38   #752
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

S Cross seem to be test driven on reasonably rough terrain during the media drive.

So this could be a one of the differentiators between a large Hatch and a Crossover

Quote:
Quote:
S Cross makes us look for an excuse to go down the untrodden
The S Cross doesn't shy away from challenging surfaces with its 180mm ground clearance
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-cjjbfztucaavyda.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-cjixts8ukaa5oar.jpg

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-capture.jpg

https://twitter.com/adixxon

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th July 2015 at 16:07.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 16:02   #753
Senior - BHPian

I agree with some folks here that the Overdrive review wasn't that great. I felt the reviewer was trying too hard.

Here's a better review from Auto car, thanks to Renuka Kriplani's presentation skills.
blue_pulsar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 16:04   #754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Guys, I must admit that I haven't followed the thread from the beginning. I am slightly going to go against the tide.

What so premium about this car? It looks like Maruti decided to sell this car out of the Nexa showrooms,so it is premium? I find the car very ordinary. Obviously haven't driven the car, but saw the overdrive video. The car he says understeers. There is no surge of torque felt. Typical Maruti? This is to please Arai?
It's on regular suspension set up.
Doesn't look a million bucks.
No dual aircon.
Most of the other features are any way present in hatches a segment below.
Having a 1.6 diesel is not premium enough.VW & Hyundai has been selling 1.6s for more than a decade and haven't ever badged the Verna or Vento as premium.
If Maruti gets this premium marketing bit wrong, this car will fall on its face. Their showrooms shouldn't look better than the car.
Don't forget it may reduce the footfalls to the regular showrooms and might have a sales impact on the other models.
If this sells extremely well,then we can safely assume that the Indian car market is mature.( it's that kind of a car). Correct me if I am wrong.
Cheers.
It is sad to see a lot of members bash a car for no reason other than perhaps a false sense of feeling like an expert that a moderated forum such as ours gives. Hope I am wrong but the trend of comments that serve no other purpose than criticism, suggest otherwise.

Anway, here goes:

The lack of a sudden kick may be due to the way the engine is tuned for more linear torque delivery which is always preferable not just for mileage but for tractability and driveability of the motor.

Macphersons up front and a torsion beam at the rear. If well tuned, what is so wrong about that suspension set-up? Works for the Octavia, worked on the Fiesta...Accord came with double wishbones but nearly everything else in the segment apart from the Sonata and Camry, could-out handle it easily

Understeer is clearly attributed to the JK tyres. Handling otherwise, has been state to be far superior to the rest in the segment

Dual-Zone climate control is a nice gimmick to have, sure, but honestly, is the lack of it that much of a downer? There are still loads of cars out there that don't even come with climate control. Infact when the 6th generation Jetta was launched, it lacked climate control. When the BMW 1-series was launched, it too came only with manual aircon and no climate control.

The car has generous amounts of space, more space at the rear than a Duster, has great build quality, well put together interiors, is very ergonomically designed in the way that the boot is shaped and in the way all controls easily fall to hand and how easy it is to flip the rear seats down, a stonker of a diesel motor in the form of the DDIS 320, a slick 6 speed gearbox, is stated to have a planted solid feel, stable ride even at high speeds, can take on bad roads, has front and rear disc brakes, impressive dynamic capabilities, a well tuned EPS unit that offers decent levels of feedback and quick accurate response, very contained body-roll, leather seats, reverse camera and sensors, HID automatic headlamps, automatic windshield wipers, an entertainment system with every connectivity option you could desire, auto-dimming IRVM, KESSY etc. in a car that is expected to retail for under 15 lakhs, 8-12/13 by most estimates, these are fairly premium qualities

Last edited by IshaanIan : 5th July 2015 at 16:28.
IshaanIan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 16:18   #755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
It is sad to see a lot of members bash a car for no reason other than perhaps a false sense of feeling like an expert that a moderated forum such as ours gives. Hope I am wrong but the trend of dissatisfied comments suggest otherwise.

Ishaanlal. I guess you did not get my point. I am no S Cross basher. I in fact like what I see so far. I was only trying to say that Maruti is taking this Premium tag to far and it could hurt if they get it wrong in our unforgiving market. Any way that's my opinion. I don't consider myself an expert and clearly asked for the experts like you to correct me if I was wrong. Anyway thanks for a detailed response.
Old 5th July 2015, 16:23   #756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ishaanlal. I guess you did not get my point. I am no S Cross basher. I in fact like what I see so far. I was only trying to say that Maruti is taking this Premium tag to far and it could hurt if they get it wrong in our unforgiving market. Any way that's my opinion. I don't consider myself an expert and clearly asked for the experts like you to correct me if I was wrong. Anyway thanks for a detailed response.
Sorry perhaps I was wrong to have judged so hastily just got annoyed at how easily people resort to criticizing a product. Anyway I wouldn't say it hurts for them to advertise it as a premium product given the premium qualities it offers at its price range. Either way, it is far better than a few things they have done in the past. Anyone remember the "RallySport" Swift VXi/VDi with painted wheelcaps and a few stickers?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 5th July 2015 at 16:24.
Old 5th July 2015, 16:41   #757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't look a million bucks.

Most of the other features are any way present in hatches a segment below.
Having a 1.6 diesel is not premium enough.VW & Hyundai has been selling 1.6s for more than a decade ....
What looks like a million bucks car?
I have heard this for so many cars but I could never explain anybody on what to look in a million buck car. VW and Hyundai are selling 1.6 l sedans for more than a decade but what does that have to do with Scross?
Old 5th July 2015, 18:35   #758

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

118 Bhp for 320nm car means, the top end is not that strong. Typically 320nm Diesels with VGT these days are tuned for around 140-150hp. Weak Low end + Relatively weaker Top end= Narrow Power Band.
Sounds about right.

I guess all of it now comes down to how Maruti does the gearing. A shorter gearing would to some extent mask the lag-ridden low end which might be a boon to city driving. A longer gearing might help the mid and top range, but exacerbate the trouble of city driving with lag.

A spot on trade off in gearing would probably enable the user to experience all of the sweet 320Nm of torque as and when needed.
Old 5th July 2015, 18:37   #759
BHPian

I guess word premium is what cought the attention of most. From Maruti's prespective, they have not been quite successful in selling 10+ lac segment of cars so far inspite of having good products and now they are trying to change that. They have been bashed for too long for not being premium enough to sell in that segment.

SCross looks promising and they are just trying to win the confidence of the masses by calling it premium. They just want to reassure that at a higher price that too can put in better quality of materials in the car.
Old 5th July 2015, 19:19   #760
Distinguished - BHPian

S Cross TVC airs in IFFA 2015 'S Cross awards'- Colors channel - starts at 7:00 pm today

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th July 2015 at 19:23.
Old 5th July 2015, 19:30   #761
Team-BHP Support

I was watching, till they showed a car "decorated" with autographs all over !
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 20:03   #762
Senior - BHPian

You know, I saw the Autocar review, they said the S cross needs corrective inputs to the steering while going at high speeds, Renuka said its not unsafe but would have been better if the inputs were not needed at higher speeds. I find this strange. Maybe a case of overinflated tyres which manufacturers love to provide when a vehicle is given to magazines for testing as it reports better 0 to 100 and top speed numbers, not to mention, mileage figures.

I find her opinion strange because Maruti is a MASTER when it comes to getting the steering right, look at the Swift, Celerio and most of Maruti's models. The steering fine is amazing.

This is just a thought, maybe I might be wrong.
Old 5th July 2015, 20:40   #763
Distinguished - BHPian

The Suzuki S-Cross features 97% of localisation content for the DDiS 200 (1.3L Diesel), and only 67% of localisation content for the DDiS 320 (1.6L Diesel), reports Motorbeam.

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-marutiscrossfeatures1.jpg

Quote:
The smaller engine has been badged as DDiS 200 while the bigger one is called DDiS 320. The DDiS 200 engine produces 90 PS of power and 200 Nm of torque and is mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox. The S-Cross DDiS 200 features 97% localisation which means that Maruti could price it quite aggressively.

Talking about the other engine, the DDiS 320 in the Maruti S-Cross produces 120 PS of power and 320 Nm of torque. The S-Cross DDiS 320 comes with 67% localised content because the engine and transmission are completely imported.

The crossover is high on fuel efficiency with the DDiS 200 motor generating 23.65 km/l while the DDiS 320 powerplant give out 22.7 km/l.
Motorbeam

Last edited by RavenAvi : 5th July 2015 at 20:41.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 21:45   #764
BHPian

Guys don't know if anyone else noticed it but the design of the S-Cross alloys look similar to the design of the alloys on the pre facelift dzire. It looks like they just took the same design and increased its size

Last edited by ampere : 6th July 2015 at 00:04. Reason: Corrected as requested
Old 5th July 2015, 22:39   #765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
S Cross TVC airs in IFFA 2015 'S Cross awards'- Colors channel - starts at 7:00 pm today
From Today the S Cross TVC goes live, S Cross telecast and unveils it to the Indian audience.

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-capture.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-11665562_1683859175159211_4257976596060693590_n.png
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-11666019_1683859261825869_266387532129267320_n.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th July 2015 at 22:47.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks