Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2014, 15:40   #1
Team-BHP Support

Datsun starts testing GO+ MPV in India

Mod Note: Team-BHP's Datsun GO+ Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the review thread. Thanks!

After launching the GO+ MPV in Indonesia earlier this month, Datsun, the budget brand of Nissan, has started testing the car in India. Pictures put up on the internet show the car with its badges masked in the city of Chennai.

The GO+ is based on the GO hatchback which was launched in March. It is 3995 mm long, 1635 mm wide and 1485 mm tall with 7 seats. In Indonesia, the GO+ uses the same engine as the GO - 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder, petrol that puts out 68 bhp and 104 Nm of torque and is mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox. In India however, the car could also get the 1.5-litre K9K diesel unit that is found in many products of the Renault-Nissan range.

The interior of the GO+ is also similar to the GO hatchback. Equipment levels are low and include a mobile docking unit with USB charging facility and front power windows.

Datsun is expected to launch the GO+ in India in the second half of this year. The car's sub-4 metre length will make it eligible for excise duty benefits and should help Datsun price it competitively.

Datsun starts testing GO+ MPV in India-datsungompvspiedinindia.jpg
Datsun starts testing GO+ MPV in India-datsungompvspiedinindiarear.jpg
Datsun starts testing GO+ MPV in India-datsungompvspiedinindiarearquarter.jpg

Source: IAB

Last edited by GTO : 15th January 2015 at 12:51. Reason: Link to review
Aditya is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 16:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Datsun starts testing GO+ MPV in India

Thanks for the pics Aditya.

What remains to be seen is the pricing of the car. I hope they launch it at a price 20% lower than the Ertiga, as it is evident that the interiors and equipment levels aren't going to compete with the Ertiga, as also the Engine power as far as Petrol is concerned.
The Ertiga Vxi at approx 8L on road was a little beyond my reach and this may well be within my budget, but I will wait for the official review to see how the car behaves on road, especially highways.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 28th May 2014 at 16:06.
Old 28th May 2014, 16:38   #3
BHPian

Honestly, if we ask everyone here, there havent been many Go hatchbacks on the roads anywhere, atleast not in Mumbai. I highly doubt the potential for the Datsun brand in India with the Go and this MPV. I feel Indian janta has already rejected the brand.
Old 28th May 2014, 17:15   #4
RSR
Senior - BHPian

The return of the station wagon?

Although Datsun would want us to believe the Go+ is a compact MPV, it is more of a 5+2 seater station wagon/estate. It looks like one for sure!

We've had station wagons in the past - Maruti Suzuki Baleno Altura, Opel Corsa Swing, Fiat Siena Weekend (and its "cross" twin - Adventure) and Tata Indigo Marina. Even before that, there was the Tata Estate. There were a couple of much older ones too, which didn't become too popular. All of them failed to click due to different reasons. The perception factor also had a role to play in general - these highly practical cars were regarded as the utilitarian versions of their sedan counterparts.

The Go+ could in fact change all that and actually succeed. It does have certain things in its favour. It can seat seven (5+2) theoretically, but Indians would be tempted to carry more people (helped by the front passenger seat), it is compact (< 4m) with a tight turning circle, is drivable and peppy (68PS powering 794 kg), has a sorted suspension and dynamics, is fuel efficient and most importantly, is going to be very affordable.

Considering the sales potential of the car, Datsun should not omit safety features! Airbags and ABS should be provided at least as options, and seat belts should be of the 3-point ELR type. While they're at it, they should put a lid on the glovebox and provide better overall insulation. Split seats for the middle and last rows would greatly add to the practicality.

I wouldn't be surprised if this comes with a killer price tag and manages to outsell the Go hatchback.

Last edited by RSR : 28th May 2014 at 17:22.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 20:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Seriously, this is a sub 4m MPV? WOW - this must be a lot cheaper than Ertiga as it gets 16% benefit right away from the excise cuts. with lower equipment levels (GO being substantially cheaper than Ritz/Swift), I woundnt be surprised if the GO+ is about 50-60K more than GO!
Old 28th May 2014, 23:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

This by no means looks like a sub-4m MPV. COrrections welcome
Old 29th May 2014, 02:17   #7
BHPian

The Datsun Go+ will directly compete with Maruti Ertiga and upcoming Honda Mobilio. If the Go+ gets the 1.5 ltr K9K Diesel engine from Renault/Nissan, it will be interesting to see how it fairs with Honda's 1.5 Ltr I-Dtec motor.
Satshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 09:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
It definitely is.
Old 29th May 2014, 09:56   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
It may not look like a sub-4m MPV, but it is certainly being marketed as one.
Specifications are here:
http://www.datsun.com/en/models/go-plus.aspx

Last edited by Aditya : 29th May 2014 at 09:58.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 10:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

The GO+ reminds me of the Opel Corsa Swing station wagon that was sold here. That was the smallest station wagon model that I have seen.
From the pictures, this looks just a bit bigger than that.

This will not be competition to Ertiga or the Mobilio. In fact, this will be like one of those cars which was a rarity on roads.
Old 29th May 2014, 10:46   #11
BHPian

Renault-Nissan are planning another flop show. Don't get much excited, Datsun GO+ will be only launched with Petrol engine initially.
Old 29th May 2014, 10:57   #12
BHPian

Datsun should first launch the top end GO variants with all safety features & premium interiors! The petrol engine is quite a beauty to drive - could be the best midsize hatch if they give us the features.
Old 29th May 2014, 11:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Shouldn't this be compared to Maruti Eeco rather than Ertiga?

Both are below 4 meters, both have 1.2 litre petrol engines, both have skinny tyres, both offer hardly any decent features. The only difference I see is, Eeco is RWD. This means, Go+ should actually cost lesser than Eeco!
rohanjf is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 12:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Heck it's even shorter than the Swift seen next to it! Makes me wonder who Datsun is aiming to milk with this ludicrous 7 seat contraption. While at it, what's Nissan's whole strategy? So far it's been farcical to put it mildly, but this plus thingy is just pushing it, I reckon.
Old 29th May 2014, 12:27   #15
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Shouldn't this be compared to Maruti Eeco rather than Ertiga?

Both are below 4 meters, both have 1.2 litre petrol engines, both have skinny tyres, both offer hardly any decent features.
Spot on! The Go+ should not be compared to the Ertiga at all. My guess is that it would compete with the Eeco as far as pricing is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
The only difference I see is, Eeco is RWD. This means, Go+ should actually cost lesser than Eeco!
I don't believe RWD in a van or UV is something special that deserves to command a premium over FWD. It may deserve to command a premium in a luxurious sedan though (although AWD would be even better).

As basic as the Go+ would be, it should still have many more features than the Eeco. Maruti Suzuki haven't bothered to offer additional features on the Eeco, unfortunately. I don't think this is going to change.

The 7 seater Eeco, which can seat 7 adults in a squeeze, should be better for people carrying abilities than the 5+2 seater Go+. But it does not even come with an A/C (which is an expensive dealer option). Only the 5 seater Eeco comes with a factory-fitted A/C.

None of the Eeco variants get power steering either. Also, it gets neither body-coloured bumpers nor central locking nor front power windows nor a tachometer nor an MID. The Eeco doesn't even get an ECU-controlled, transponder-in-the-key immobiliser. The Go+ should get all these features (as they're already there in the Go), plus the basic mobile phone dock & front speakers.

With a longer front crumple zone and a much lower centre-of-gravity, the Go+ should be safer too. Maybe a bit more refined as well, since the engine does not sit under the front seats.

On paper, the Go+ should be better as a personal vehicle when compared to the Eeco. Perhaps it's time for Maruti Suzuki to upgrade the Eeco with additional features? Who knows, they may decide to take on the Go+ by introducing the 5+2 seater Wagon R:

Datsun starts testing GO+ MPV in India-image.jpg

Last edited by RSR : 29th May 2014 at 12:29.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks