Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2014, 23:10   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: AP to TS: Transfer of car registration from Andhra Pradesh to Telangana

The bifurcation of the erstwhile Andhra Pradesh into A.P. and Telangana has now resulted into two different series of motor vehicle registrations.
The pre-bifurcation motor vehicles should at the best be left alone with their original number plates intact.The erstwhile road taxes paid can be audited and the composite one-time tax amount from a particular retrospective date can be book transfered from A.P. to the new state, without making the motor vehcile owners run from pillar to post and become a harried lot.

This is because the RTO offices will remain the same in every district, the staffers will more or less be the same and the records will remain in the same premises for all the motor vehicles registered from that particular office.

This is quite idealistic, logical and prudent thinking, but the reality is quite different. Mind you, we are only creating new states within the same Republic and nothing else.

During the past bifurcations of Madhya Pradesh into M.P. and Chhattisgarh, all motor vehicles in Chhattisgarh were asked to re-register with CG number plates and with the appended district code of that respective district.The re- registered vehicles were allocated CG --(Dist code) and ZD series for all the old numbers.

I am not very sure about the Bihar and Jharkhand and the Uttar Pradesh and Uttarkhand bifurcations that also could have resulted into similar situations. However bhpian sgiitk has clarified in his post here that U.P. regisrtations have no hassles in the newly created Uttarkhand state.

Coming to the very old (not vintage, but classic as the date was 1960 ) bifurcation of Maharashtra and Gujarat from the erstwhile Bombay state, the older BY and BM registrations were left untouched by the Maharashtra government and till today (even after 54 years) we have Bombay registered number plates running legally withour any hassles, whatsoever. The records are still maintained by the respective RTO offices in Mumbai, Pune, Nagpur, Kolhapur and in many other cities.

AP to TS: Transfer of car registration from Andhra Pradesh to Telangana-dscn1331.jpg

AP to TS: Transfer of car registration from Andhra Pradesh to Telangana-landy9.jpg

AP to TS: Transfer of car registration from Andhra Pradesh to Telangana-dscn1580.jpg

This is how it should be actually, notwithstanding any sentiments or any other feelings, whatsoever.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 21st June 2014 at 23:14.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 12:55   #47
BHPian

Correct me if I am wrong. Since Hyderabad is also the Capital of new state of AP, isn't vehicles plying in Hyderabad technical plying in the state of AP? As far as the old registrations are concerned, I doubt it has anything to do with revenue rather everything to do with the egoistic political separatism that divided the state in the first place.

I am pretty sure there are going to be PILs filing up in the court to stop this ridiculousness of old vehicles having to change the state code.

FYI: Official news so far says that there is no decision yet on the change of number for old vehicles.
Old 23rd June 2014, 11:15   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post
Correct me if I am wrong. Since Hyderabad is also the Capital of new state of AP, isn't vehicles plying in Hyderabad technical plying in the state of AP? As far as the old registrations are concerned, I doubt it has anything to do with revenue rather everything to do with the egoistic political separatism that divided the state in the first place.

I am pretty sure there are going to be PILs filing up in the court to stop this ridiculousness of old vehicles having to change the state code.

FYI: Official news so far says that there is no decision yet on the change of number for old vehicles.
You can thank whomever you want for the mess but what is true is that this division has no precedent and therefore also has solutions that do not have a precedent.

First of all even though Hyderabad is the joint capital of the two states, it is declared that it is an integral part of only Telangana with facilities for governance such as legislature, secretariat and State head quarters given to the residuary Andhra Pradesh. So technically speaking if what the Chief Minister of the new state of Telangana says is true, even vehicles belonging to the government of post bifurcation Andhra Pradesh will have to have TS number plates. What makes things even more difficult is that some ministers at the behest of the CM of the New Andhra Pradesh are setting up their own ministerial head quarters in Vijayawada or Guntur. So why have this joint capital at all? I am sure it is not going to take 10 years to construct a new building for the assembly or find a makeshift one. The only reason that politicians from the other side have fought for Hyderabad as joint capital is to protect their own properties.

There are no PILs being accepted because of the fact that there is a go ahead with the bifurcation and post bifurcation processes given by the Supreme Court of India even though there are cases challenging the constitutionality of procedures followed in order to make the bifurcation possible. So courts are not likely to come to the rescue of hapless citizens. Also with jingoism being prevalent among the populations on both sides, I do not think there will be too much support to the argument that leave the old number plates as they are. The T CM has said that RC also has to be changed with the payment of a nominal fee of Rs. 250. Even the RTA is aghast at this and their pleas thus far have fallen on deaf years. Since the separatist movement was based in diversity in unity, the T CM does not want the word Andhra in anything that is in Telangana.

Even though someone had appealed that we should not talk about the politics and only talk about the repercussions of them for the registration process, I have gone ahead and talked of the politics because this is a clear instance of divide and rule and the creation of a new parochialism and citizens have to bear with all the difficulties that arise out of a process of governance which is itself rooted in this new parochialism.

So my point is that do not expect to find logical solutions to something which is a result of an illogical thinking on both sides. I guess we all have to brace for a new kind of politics and all the difficulties that come with them and hence we have no choice but to put up with inconvenience.
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:41   #49
Senior - BHPian

They should continue using AP for older vehicles. Have the new system once complete bifurcation (new capital) is done.

Last edited by noopster : 23rd June 2014 at 18:11. Reason: Please read the whole thread before asking questions already answered
Old 23rd June 2014, 18:20   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Whoa, that's a lot of work created for the RTOs in a slightly unbelievable timeframe. Would have been nice if the authorities had thought this through- this move seems to be recipe for diasaster.

I'm curious what will happen if the new state decides to change tax rates for cars and demands that owners of AP regd cars pay the difference. Then the fun will begin!
Old 24th June 2014, 17:42   #51

I went to the RTO a couple of days back for a friend's work to be done.
His case was quite a borderline one.
He went for registration of his new car after bifurcation but before this notification of change of code came in.
Now he did receive the RC book at his home address by post duly with an AP number.

We went to RTO to check whether to make a number plate with the AP number or is there a change because this is a new car.
The guy there was very cool about it & said no changes have been informed "officially" to them.
Even if they are informed, they would take 3-4 months to prepare and advertise these notifications in the public media like newspapers etc on the process to be adopted.

Right now - all is just hearsay based on some newspaper report.
Old 25th June 2014, 21:46   #52
BHPian

Legally speaking if the registration fee has already been paid levy of fee again for the exact same purpose (whatever the root cause) may likely be unconstitutional. It is a principal of taxing / pecuniary statutes (like criminal law) that no one can be taxed / sentenced for the same cause / offense twice. Courts are very strict about upholding this rule.

While there may be some merit to re-doing the registration with new numbers, codes, etc. there is no case for demanding the amount of registration fee again when it has already been paid. Will the Telengana government charge mutation fees for all land in the newly created Telengana for changing the Revenue Record address of all land parcels from 'AP' to 'TS'?? Can sales tax registration be levied once more from shopkeepers and commercial establishments for issue of new ST codes?? Will Telengana-domiciled lawyers be charged enrolment fees once again for enrolling with the Telengana Bar Council (when it comes into being) ???

This levy of registration fee again (if it is actually the case) is patently unconstitutional -- and there's a strong chance of it being struck down if legally challenged.
Kumar R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 05:50   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Legally speaking if the registration fee has already been paid levy of fee again for the exact same purpose (whatever the root cause) may likely be unconstitutional. It is a principal of taxing / pecuniary statutes (like criminal law) that no one can be taxed / sentenced for the same cause / offense twice. Courts are very strict about upholding this rule.

This levy of registration fee again (if it is actually the case) is patently unconstitutional -- and there's a strong chance of it being struck down if legally challenged.
+1 , totally agree with you, spoke to a relative of mine today who happens to be the Commissioner in one of the RTA office in Ranga Reddy District (Hyderabad Outskirts) , according to him no official communication has been received yet , apparently there is still lot of ground work that needs to be done , a notification will be announced in due course , however it is absolutely certain that re registration will not involve any government fees being payable again , changes in taxation if any in the future will not be implemented retrospectively as it would not stand a chance if challenged legally.

Just hoping that the common sense approach prevails !
vickzkool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 10:53   #54

Here's hoping vickzkool is right and people won't have to pay any amount again! Either ways, it's not going to be a smooth process and will take time. Any one knows why they went with TS instead of TG? "Telangana State"? TG looks/sounds more cool, no? Ideally they should just leave old vehicle numbers unchanged, as they should have with the police uniforms. No logic in spending so much money on unnecessary things!
Old 27th June 2014, 17:48   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittie View Post
Any one knows why they went with TS instead of TG? "Telangana State"? TG looks/sounds more cool, no?
Originally TG had been allotted to Telangana but it had to be changed because the numerology crazy Chief Minister of the State found that TG was not good for him and upon the advice of various numerologists and astrologers decided to ask for change from TG to TS. Please do not ask me about how numerology works. I really do not know why TG is cool and TS is not, to me they are just two letters of the English alphabet and this way or that is not going to make any difference.

This could be apocryphal but one of the English language dailies published from Hyderabad has claimed today that someone has gone to court challenging the move from TG to TS. The person's contention is that all over the country when the name of a state has been abbreviated to two letters, both letters were in the name of the state itself. Ex. Delhi is DL, Karnataka is KA, Tamil Nadu is TN, Kerala is KL etc. The petitioner contended that the letter S is not there in Telangana so it cannot be called TS, even if it means Telangana State. The High Court will take its own time over this and god forbid if they decide that TS is not right you can add an increasing number of new car and bike owners who will have to change from TS to TG.

Last edited by sadsack : 27th June 2014 at 17:51.
Old 28th June 2014, 10:19   #56

oh lord..are you serious? People have too much time on their hands to go filing such petitions in courts! yeah, it really doesn't matter what alphabet one uses... that way (for numerology), KCR should edit him name/spelling too :-p
Old 28th June 2014, 12:05   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittie View Post
Here's hoping vickzkool is right and people won't have to pay any amount again! Either ways, it's not going to be a smooth process and will take time. Any one knows why they went with TS instead of TG? "Telangana State"? TG looks/sounds more cool, no? Ideally they should just leave old vehicle numbers unchanged, as they should have with the police uniforms. No logic in spending so much money on unnecessary things!
Mod Note: The question you have asked has been answered earlier in this thread itself. (Refer post #25). In future, please go through any thread carefully before posting replies.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th June 2014 at 12:07.
Old 15th July 2014, 05:21   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsack View Post
Originally TG had been allotted to Telangana but it had to be changed because the numerology crazy Chief Minister of the State found that TG was not good for him and upon the advice of various numerologists and astrologers decided to ask for change from TG to TS. Please do not ask me about how numerology works. I really do not know why TG is cool and TS is not, to me they are just two letters of the English alphabet and this way or that is not going to make any difference.

This could be apocryphal but one of the English language dailies published from Hyderabad has claimed today that someone has gone to court challenging the move from TG to TS. The person's contention is that all over the country when the name of a state has been abbreviated to two letters, both letters were in the name of the state itself. Ex. Delhi is DL, Karnataka is KA, Tamil Nadu is TN, Kerala is KL etc. The petitioner contended that the letter S is not there in Telangana so it cannot be called TS, even if it means Telangana State. The High Court will take its own time over this and god forbid if they decide that TS is not right you can add an increasing number of new car and bike owners who will have to change from TS to TG.
The PIL has been dismissed by the High Court.

Quote:
The Hyderabad high court on Monday upheld the notification of the Centre as well the Telangana state government to use "TS" as the series for the registration of motor vehicles in the newly formed state.

The court was dealing with a petition filed by the Telangana Yuva Shakti, a political party represented by its president B Ram Mohan Reddy, who wanted the court to suspend the GO issued by the Telangana state government in this regard. He wanted TG to be used in place of TS.

The bench headed by Chief Justice Kalyan Jyoti Sengupta made it clear that the court did not find any violation of law in notifying the "TS" as initials for the registration of vehicles and dismissed the plea.
Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/38388465.cms
Old 16th July 2014, 08:52   #59
BANNED

For all who have to change their registration from 'AP' to 'TS'

Quote:
The Transport Department is coming up with a solution in which it will host the old number and the new number on its website

www.telangana.transport.gov.in.

The number will have a new State code of TS and the district code which will be in numerals.

The vehicle owner can access the page using the engine / chassis number as the password and take a printout, which will then be the proof of the changed number and get the new number plate.
SOURCE: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle6214290.ece

More confusion I can see in future.

Anurag.
Old 16th July 2014, 22:25   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
For all who have to change their registration from 'AP' to 'TS'

SOURCE: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle6214290.ece

More confusion I can see in future.

Anurag.