Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2014, 19:01   #1
BHPian

Rumour - Nissan launching GT-R in India

Guys, the wait is finally over. As reported by Hormazd Sorabjee(Editor-Autocar India) Nissan is Launching the Mighty GT-R aka Godzilla in India.

Rumour - Nissan launching GT-R in India-picsart_1404392669695.jpg

Rumour - Nissan launching GT-R in India-picsart_1404392798345.jpg
Twitter
KING DYSP is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 19:16   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour - Nissan launching GT-R in India.

Wow, Super News!

Wonder what will be the price tag in India?

At $100K in North America, it is a real value for money Supercar that can beat even the Porsche 911 Turbo S in several parameters

Last edited by bharatbs : 3rd July 2014 at 19:28.
bharatbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 20:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
Wow, Super News!

Wonder what will be the price tag in India?

At $100K in North America, it is a real value for money Supercar that can beat even the Porsche 911 Turbo S in several parameters
If that's what it costs in North America, it would be about double that cost in India. People in India are not going to spend that kind of money on a Nissan. They want an aspirational/prestigious brand for that kind of money.

It's an awesome awesome car but it's a Nissan.
asr245 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 20:29   #4
BHPian

Doesn't Tendulkar have one? I am so in love with this car. Screw the premium name. I'd love to see the face of a guy in a Porsche when I blow by him.

I am sure they'll have to tweak the suspension for India a bit. Other than that, from what I've heard of the GT-R, it doesn't require a lot of baby-sitting.
Mad Max is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 21:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Nissan's iconic GT-R will soon be officially available here in India. After years of waiting, the company has finally decided to bring the car here officially as a 'Halo' car.
Quote:
Initially shelved due to worries of poor fuel quality and service support, Nissan now seems to have gotten over those hurdles.
Quote:
The current car that will be imported here makes a chest-thumping 545bhp from its twin-turbo V6 motor, and has a claimed 0-100kph time of under 2.9 seconds.
Quote:
F1 driver Narain Karthikeyan has one and so does Sachin Tendulkar.
Quote:
Expected to come to India at a price of around Rs 1.2 Crore.
Autocar India
KING DYSP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 23:29   #6
PPS
Senior - BHPian

GT-R used to cost around 1.5cr OTR 2yrs ago as per some posts on our forum.
Also i believe Narain Karthikeyan sold his GT-R sometime back.

Name:  gt.png
Views: 3449
Size:  42.6 KB
PPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 01:19   #7
BHPian

I think private imports are about 25-30% more expensive because the GT-R is usually imported from the UK if I'm not wrong. In the UK it's already priced about 25-30% more than the US price. The US price is definitely a lot more than the factory price at which Nissan will import the car. I'm assuming it would cost around the 1.5 mark. I might be completely wrong though.
Old 4th July 2014, 03:25   #8
BHPian

Look at the pathetic state of our Roads, specially Mumbai. Where can you enjoy driving such a beast? Its like abusing every time you take it out on the roads here. Well, for people who have been wanting one should be happy to hear the news but Nissan should really think about bringing their other successful Sedans and SUVs here.
Old 4th July 2014, 04:32   #9
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

This is real good news - the GT-R can easily give the Germans and the Italian supercars a run for their money.

Off-topic : The "Godzilla" moniker was used last and died with the R34 Skyline GT-R. With the R35 GT-R - Nissan lost the Skyline name and the "Godzilla" moniker. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 4th July 2014, 08:23   #10
Team-BHP Support

As great as this news is for Automobile enthusiasts, I personally believe that Nissan should have considered something more practical like the Leaf. The GT-R is going to be north of 2 crores and at that price, it may not have too many takers considering that people look for cars by aspirational brands and Nissan just isn't one of them.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 09:03   #11
Team-BHP Support

/OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Off-topic : The "Godzilla" moniker was used last and died with the R34 Skyline GT-R. With the R35 GT-R - Nissan lost the Skyline name and the "Godzilla" moniker. Please correct me if I am wrong.
A lot of websites and journals still continue to mention the new GT-R as the Godzilla (Gojira in Japanese). I find no reason the nick would die anytime soon - it continues to be a monster from Japan.

Here is an old one dated Feb 2008 when the GT-R debuted in Au - Nissan GT-R: 'Godzilla' returns to Australia
Old 4th July 2014, 09:24   #12
BHPian

Here is the original Godzilla. The nickname was started in 1989.
Rumour - Nissan launching GT-R in India-1990calsonicnissanskyliner32gtrracecarfrontthreequarter.jpg
akshay380 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 10:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod_to_odd View Post
Look at the pathetic state of our Roads, specially Mumbai. Where can you enjoy driving such a beast? Its like abusing every time you take it out on the roads here. Well, for people who have been wanting one should be happy to hear the news but Nissan should really think about bringing their other successful Sedans and SUVs here.
The GT-R is one of the most practical supercars to own. Yes, we donot have the roads to enjoy such cars, but does that stop people from importing even costlier cars? No right?

Agreed, Nissan should consider bringing their other SUV's and sedans, but IMO there is nothing wrong in launching the GT-R in India.

Infact, the supercar market is maturing in India and I personally believe customers out in the market for a car in that price range would strongly consider buying the GT-R; and I'm not even talking about the plethora of modification options which are available for the GT-R.

It is called "The Supercar Killer" for a reason

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 10:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour - Nissan launching GT-R in India

I don't understand this halo concept. What does it mean? That someone impressed with the GT-R will end up buying a Sunny or a Terrano? Didn't Nissan already try their hand at a halo product with the 350Z? What did that do for them? I haven't see a single 350Z and that was (relatively speaking) decently priced with proper sports car looks.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 11:18   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rumour - Nissan launching GT-R in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I don't understand this halo concept. What does it mean? That someone impressed with the GT-R will end up buying a Sunny or a Terrano? Didn't Nissan already try their hand at a halo product with the 350Z? What did that do for them? I haven't see a single 350Z and that was (relatively speaking) decently priced with proper sports car looks.
Believe it or not, someone impressed or rather in awe of the GT-R could buy another Nissan product just as the Sunny or Terrano to be "closer" to the GT-R. They believe perhaps some small part or engineering might be shared across Nissan cars. Also, the perception that if Nissan can make the ultimate car- The GT-R they probably can make the best low end car too.
There are thread on this forum of BHPian's calling their Fiat Palio's "budget ferrari" just because Ferrari is a part of the Fiat group. (No offense to any BHPian here, nor am I mocking anyone in anyway just trying to explain a point here)

I agree with you on the 350Z, they fail miserably in leveraging brand value from that car. I don't think enough PR and marketing was done for it. With the GTR the PR will be far easier, hopefully they put enough marketing muscle into it and get the pricing right to get enough of these cars on the road. Most of all I hope they give proper service back up! The GTR does often develops issues given the amount of power it belts out. Nissan cannot expect their regular service guys to handle this car, besides training a set team of engineers in metro cities to handle this car they also need to have an exclusive team to handle it. Right from the service advisor to the technician. You don't want your GTR to be handled and drive around like a Micra at the service center.
Sahil is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks