Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2014, 11:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour - Nissan launching GT-R in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Believe it or not, someone impressed or rather in awe of the GT-R could buy another Nissan product just as the Sunny or Terrano to be "closer" to the GT-R. They believe perhaps some small part or engineering might be shared across Nissan cars. Also, the perception that if Nissan can make the ultimate car- The GT-R they probably can make the best low end car too.
There are thread on this forum of BHPian's calling their Fiat Palio's "budget ferrari" just because Ferrari is a part of the Fiat group. (No offense to any BHPian here, nor am I mocking anyone in anyway just trying to explain a point here)
Fair point.

Quote:
I agree with you on the 350Z, they fail miserably in leveraging brand value from that car. I don't think enough PR and marketing was done for it. With the GTR the PR will be far easier, hopefully they put enough marketing muscle into it and get the pricing right to get enough of these cars on the road. Most of all I hope they give proper service back up! The GTR does often develops issues given the amount of power it belts out. Nissan cannot expect their regular service guys to handle this car, besides training a set team of engineers in metro cities to handle this car they also need to have an exclusive team to handle it. Right from the service advisor to the technician. You don't want your GTR to be handled and drive around like a Micra at the service center.
I seriously doubt Nissan will do anything special for the GT-R. A CBU product, and a niche one at that, is such a low-commitment item from a manufacturer that they'll balk at any extra cost associated with it.

The Micra mechanic who handles the 3-cylinder engines will probably just have to think he is handling two cars joined together in a V shape
Old 4th July 2014, 12:22   #17
BHPian

When Nissan launched its BNR 32 GTR (Skyline) back in 1989, it was priced (about US $25K - 30K) as an affordable sports car with supercar performance back then. It was way ahead of its league back then - This continued with the 33 and the 34 to some extent... I got my first R32 in 2005 for $25K in Australia so it held its price and its reputation well.

The pricing now (about $100,000) is anything but that; which is highly disappointing even in the US, Europe and Australia. While it continues to be phenomenal, its pricing is now being bench-marked against cars that offer similar performance (supercars) and its competition. It doesn't hold its price as well as it did back then and nor is it as easy to maintain as it used to be the case with the 32, 33 and the 34. I know of people in Australia who command close to $60K for a low mileage V Spec R32. I read of a R34 Z tune sold for $750 last month in Sydney and have become modern day collectors and hold more value that the current gen GTR.

Imagine the sales figures they could have achieved had the pricing model been the same as it was before 2002 when they decided to stop production on the R34.

Just hope that Toyota brings the 86 to India as an "affordable" sports car!
R32_GTR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 17:40   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
When Nissan launched its BNR 32 GTR (Skyline) back in 1989, it was priced (about US $25K - 30K) as an affordable sports car with supercar performance back then. It was way ahead of its league back then - This continued with the 33 and the 34 to some extent... I got my first R32 in 2005 for $25K in Australia so it held its price and its reputation well.

The pricing now (about $100,000) is anything but that; which is highly disappointing even in the US, Europe and Australia. While it continues to be phenomenal, its pricing is now being bench-marked against cars that offer similar performance (supercars) and its competition. It doesn't hold its price as well as it did back then and nor is it as easy to maintain as it used to be the case with the 32, 33 and the 34. I know of people in Australia who command close to $60K for a low mileage V Spec R32. I read of a R34 Z tune sold for $750 last month in Sydney and have become modern day collectors and hold more value that the current gen GTR.

Imagine the sales figures they could have achieved had the pricing model been the same as it was before 2002 when they decided to stop production on the R34.

Just hope that Toyota brings the 86 to India as an "affordable" sports car!
If they get the GT86 in India? Will buy it without a hitch! MSRP in US is $25,000.

Sorry for going OT.

Cheers!
muditgrover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2014, 16:54   #19
BANNED

$25000 + 110% of $25000 = 52500$
52500 + shipping + profit = ??????

Nissan 370Z USA Price = $33 K
India Price: 55 Lakh
HyperRetard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 13:27   #20
Team-BHP Support

Nissan is likely to launch the GT-R in India by the end of 2015.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Old 14th August 2015, 08:34   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Rohit Garg for sharing:

Quote:
was going through some stuff over the internet today when I found about the Importation of 2 Nissan GTRs from Japan & UK into India this year. The one imported in May 2015 from UK to Chennai is most likely for the testing purpose. There are already some speculations about it launching in India in the Q4, 2015 or early 2016. Being a regular follower of Team-BHP, I thought that this information is of some use you to people. Screenshot of the same has been attached below. (Source: ZAUBA.com)
Rumour - Nissan launching GT-R in India-gtr.jpg
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 09:32   #22
Team-BHP Support

Looks private Imports , else why will Nissan get from UK ? I believe manufacturers normally prefer to get stuff direct from manufacturing country which should be Japan for this car , Plus 62 Lac assessable Value - we are looking at 4 Crore Ex Showroom prices

this value is even higher than Maybach recently imported
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour - Nissan launching GT-R in India-screen-shot-20150814-9.30.24-am.png  

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th August 2015 at 09:34.
Old 14th August 2015, 11:40   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Looks private Imports , else why will Nissan get from UK ? I believe manufacturers normally prefer to get stuff direct from manufacturing country which should be Japan for this car
UK plant might be running under capacity for RHD units hence maybe easier for them to source from there. Yes, the flagship plant is preferred for CBU imports but the parent companies probably take a call keeping internal constraints in mind to see which location makes most business sense.
Old 14th August 2015, 13:55   #24
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Rohit Garg for sharing:
Was watching the scoop section of the Autocar Show last night where Hormazd Sorabjee mentioned that Nissan has postponed their plans to launch the GT-R in India. They are looking at launching the next generation GT-R here sometime in middle or late 2016. He also mentioned that they won't be sold through existing Nissan showrooms (i wonder if they have any showrooms in Mumbai, last i heard 2 of them shut down ) but will have a flagship showroom of their own!
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 14:23   #25
BHPian

Quote:
UK plant might be running under capacity for RHD units hence maybe easier for them to source from there. Yes, the flagship plant is preferred for CBU imports but the parent companies probably take a call keeping internal constraints in mind to see which location makes most business sense.

Since when did Nissan start assembling the GT-R in the UK plant? As far as I know, they only make it in Japan. So Nissan should probably be getting their car from Japan only.
Old 14th August 2015, 14:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

Current MSRP in Japan is around JPY 95,00,000 which translates to less than INR 50,00,000. Considering all import duties and taxes at 150% of MSRP, total comes to INR 1,20,00,000. Add transportation, dealer margins, margins for Nissan India etc. Still, wondering why the price touches INR 2,10,00,000. We Indians sure are a bit unfortunate when it comes to imports.
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 09:56   #27
BHPian

http://www.livemint.com/Companies/5H...nd-Patrol.html

Looks like Nissan plans the assemble the GT-R here
Old 6th December 2015, 02:47   #28
BHPian

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/scoop-nissa...e-units-658082

Now it looks like they've lost the plot again

Is this a joke?

Most Viewed