Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2014, 21:13   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbabu View Post
Slightly off topic, but other than the design "directions" of late, what gets to me really is that it is so hard to buy a new car that has black/grey interiors these days. Every one is after beige and it is a pain to maintain as well as when it gets older, if the plastic is of cheaper variety, it stands out like a sore sight. Anyone here feels the same way?

Very true. What's with this beige interior for Indians thing!

I am not a fan of beige interiors but sadly many cars don't come in all black interiors. All black should be given atleast as an option.
Old 13th August 2014, 21:34   #167
Senior - BHPian

Re: What happened to good looking cars?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
What's with this beige interior for Indians thing!

I am not a fan of beige interiors but sadly many cars don't come in all black interiors. All black should be given atleast as an option.
Ajay, As an individual's opinion, I feel all Black interiors make the cabin look dark and dull. Having a decent 2-tone interior scheme makes the cabin look elegant and bright.

See: Compared below are interiors of Honda City Ivtec:

1) 2 Tone:
What happened to good looking cars?!-2012hondacity.jpg

2) All Black:

What happened to good looking cars?!-thumb.jpg

In the above pics, a single tone interior makes the car's interior monotonous where as a 2 tone decent scheme makes the interiors appear pleasing.

Pic: https://www.google.co.in/search?q=Ho...h=667#imgdii=_

Thanks
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 21:45   #168
BHPian

Actually I was referring to the premium class of cars with soft touch materials, pure leather and metal accented interiors. When quality of materials are top notch, I think all black does not look dull but rather classy.

I do agree that beige does add an airy feel to cabin. For a change, sometimes I feel its fine too. But given a choice, all black with good quality materials is my personal choice.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 21:45   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbabu View Post
Slightly off topic, but other than the design "directions" of late, what gets to me really is that it is so hard to buy a new car that has black/grey interiors these days. Every one is after beige and it is a pain to maintain as well as when it gets older, if the plastic is of cheaper variety, it stands out like a sore sight. Anyone here feels the same way?
Quote:
Very true. What's with this beige interior for Indians thing!

I generally don't like beige, especially the Hyundai shade of it. And since they overdo it, you feel like sitting in a crap hole.

But I do not like all black interiors either, because it masks dirt. I would not like to sit on dirty stuff and be happy that I don't get to see it. I would like it if the dirt is visible so that I can clean it up. Spending time in dirty surroundings could make us fall sick eventually.

BTW, I really like the light grey interiors of my Ecosport, which is pleasant to look at, unlike beige, while not masking off dirt. It needs constant upkeep, but is more hygienic that way.
Old 24th August 2014, 14:58   #170
Team-BHP Support

Cross posting my rant from the Ciaz thread -

Why did the Gen4 Honda City designers ruin the futuristic design of the Gen3 Honda city with these two out-of-proportion cuts?

Only logic I can think of is that some top boss wanted a chiseled look, and it looks like one of the designers just took a chisel and literally just peeled off the edges of the model!

What happened to good looking cars?!-newhondacity01.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 16:53   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Ajay, As an individual's opinion, I feel all Black interiors make the cabin look dark and dull. Having a decent 2-tone interior scheme makes the cabin look elegant and bright.
In the above pics, a single tone interior makes the car's interior monotonous where as a 2 tone decent scheme makes the interiors appear pleasing.
Quote:
Actually I was referring to the premium class of cars with soft touch materials, pure leather and metal accented interiors. When quality of materials are top notch, I think all black does not look dull but rather classy.

I do agree that beige does add an airy feel to cabin. For a change, sometimes I feel its fine too. But given a choice, all black with good quality materials is my personal choice.
There is a common answer to both perspectives - most companies who started using beige overload in small cars recently have one goal - to deceive the customers into thinking that there is more space than it actually has, which is a selling point for the smaller cars. Go up one segment and you get feature-less 'big' cars where a lot of dashboard space is unused because of the lack of features. The manufacturers find the cheapest way to get away from it - paint it in black and beige 2-tone, add a chrome strip here and a silver accent there. Voila, you've got rid of the barren dashboard without giving any real features.

When it comes to the big cars, the space is definitely there and the manufacturers don't have to resort to gimmicks to make the customers feel premium nature. Black has a classy look when applied at the right place. Size does matter here. A black Mercedes S-class has a majestic look due to the colour but the same cannot be said about a black Nano or Alto (no offense to any owners)
Old 25th August 2014, 06:20   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Anyways, my opinion is only that it is not bad among the current crop of contraptions! For everything else, I've got this beauty- which for me stands right up there with the Lancers and the Skodas of the world.

Attachment 1268642
Attachment 1268643

Agree.

I had been to aadya motors for the check up camp last weekend and had an opportunity to check the new evo in flesh. Interiors have improved leaps & bounds but the excessive chrome & front grill which looks like an open mouth ready to gobble anything you throw at it has taken away the elegance from the Punto.

Evo sure does look bling, but the Italian beauty has been Indianised :banghead:

@crazy driver: Beautiful pics mate. She looks gorgeous.
suhas_raj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 10:43   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
There is a common answer to both perspectives - most companies who started using beige overload in small cars recently have one goal - to deceive the customers into thinking that there is more space than it actually has, which is a selling point for the smaller cars..

..The manufacturers find the cheapest way to get away from it - paint it in black and beige 2-tone, add a chrome strip here and a silver accent there. Voila, you've got rid of the barren dashboard without giving any real features
General perceptions indicate that 'beige' as a colour, and a cold-environment - a hotel room's thermostat adjusted and set to 18 degrees Celsius for example - is associated with 'luxury'. This is fairly skewed logic in my opinion, because a black interior can be considered equally classy and tasteful, if not more.

I find beige trim in most sub-15-lakh-cars to be bordering on repugnance. Not to mention the fact that they are dirt-magnets.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 11:29   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Why did the Gen4 Honda City designers ruin the futuristic design of the Gen3 Honda city with these two out-of-proportion cuts?

Only logic I can think of is that some top boss wanted a chiseled look, and it looks like one of the designers just took a chisel and literally just peeled off the edges of the model!
Add Toyota also in this Category.

When I first saw the New Corola Altis pictures, this was the first thing which knocked my mind. Overall car is good looking but these weird cuts on sides of bumpers turned it into downmarket looking car to my eyes.

Toyota has done it to few other recent models as well, though those models don't come in India.

What happened to good looking cars?!-toyotacorolla2014exteriorssideview21.jpg

What happened to good looking cars?!-toyotacorollaaltisexterior0471.jpg

Last edited by tbppjpr : 25th August 2014 at 11:30.
Old 25th August 2014, 11:41   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
General perceptions indicate that 'beige' as a colour, and a cold-environment - a hotel room's thermostat adjusted and set to 18 degrees Celsius for example - is associated with 'luxury'. This is fairly skewed logic in my opinion, because a black interior can be considered equally classy and tasteful, if not more. I find beige trim in most sub-15-lakh-cars to be bordering on repugnance. Not to mention the fact that they are dirt-magnets.
Suhaas, 100% agree with you on the dirt part. My car as you may have seen is a City Ivtec with the 2 tone interiors. Yaar, at-least 5 times a week these Beige interiors need to be cleaned to keep them in clean and pleasing look. I feel to make the Beige look good one needs to put in a lot of efforts.

For Black interiors, I feel the Benz looks smashing in it but my logic (to the best of my limited grey matter for science) is that the interior colors should be used as per the cabin size. Somehow, I feel really claustrophobic with all Black interiors of cars like Honda City and others of that segment.

Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 15:17   #176
BHPian

Even though its not about an Indian vehicle, this page shows how cars have gotten uglier over the decades - http://en.autowp.ru/toyota/land_cruiser_prado/

Prado 70 looks 'man'-lier compared to the current 150.
Old 27th August 2014, 15:21   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
To be honest, I still love the all black interiors.

They look a lot more classier.
Also, the ease of maintenance is a given!!
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 17:14   #178
Team-BHP Support

There was a time not long ago when one could buy a budget, entry-level sedan that was actually a sedan (and a handsome car), not some ugly contraption with an afterthought for a boot.

This is the last Hyundai design I liked (sorry, not a fan of fluidic or whatever they call their new philosophy, just looks like someone took an axe and went wild on a clay model).

What happened to good looking cars?!-20140318_185233_lls-copy.jpg

I'm still a sucker for clean lines, even boxy design. First-gen City and CR-V are still my favorite designs among all versions of those models ever sold in India.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th August 2014 at 17:17.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 03:40   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Okay I know I could get a lot of flake for this comment, but even I am not a fan of the current design, come to think of it even the Dolphin shape had clean lines and though not drop dead gorgeous, had a radical but clean design, it was predecessor to the neat Arrow design, I see similar design progression there.

What happened to good looking cars?!-honda_city_zx_gxi.jpg

What happened to good looking cars?!-whitehondacityzx.jpeg

What happened to good looking cars?!-honda-city.jpg

They could have progressed beautifully without the unnecessary extensive cuts, curves and chrome on the current one, if this is called India-centric touch, I blame Honda's (even Toyota's) understanding of peoples design, there can be a cleaner design even with all these elements.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 28th August 2014 at 03:43.
Old 28th August 2014, 08:45   #180
Senior - BHPian

The Arrow-shot 3rd Gen Honda City was the most European looking Honda City ever. It had clean lines, no chrome overdose, no unwanted bulky curves. Minimalist, sharp, clean and absolutely classy design. But many heads around me like the new bling-bling 4th Gen City!

IMHO, the new design is trying too hard to beat the Hyundai Verna and the design makes the car look much less solid than the 3rd Gen City.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks