Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2014, 00:29   #61
BHPian

Re: What happened to good looking cars?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
When exactly did Hyundai Santro fit into the good looking cars list.
Agree on all other cars.

Have Agree with Aim120. The Santro was a horrible looking car (personal opinion obviously). When they debuted the santro, matiz and indica - the indica was the looker followed by the matiz and the santro being quite the ugly duckling.

The product however was superior, so was the service and the results are for all to see.
Old 31st July 2014, 00:52   #62
BHPian

Like most others even I agree, previous generation cars were definitely more good-looking than the current gens.

But, the theory doesn't apply to all cars. There are also cases where newer models are more beautiful than their predecessors, but very very few.

I loved how the first gen Sumo looked; a proper butch angry looking SUV. There are many other previous models which I like, but the one closest to my heart and the one which hasn't got any replacement till date is the 1st gen Skoda Octavia.

I mean, just look at it, clean no-non sense design, look at it from any angle its just beautiful, be it the front, side profile, rear. Looks solid like a tank, and those vRS alloys, remain the best alloys till date for me. Kudos to those who have still maintained it well and making our roads more pleasurable with such eye candies

Img Source: T-BHP Official Octavia review.

-Bhargav
Attached Thumbnails
What happened to good looking cars?!-skodaoctavia46.jpg  

Octane_Power is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 04:08   #63
Team-BHP Support

What happened to good looking cars?!

Agree with the general sentiment on the thread, the present generation of cars really can't hold a candle to the design elegance of the earlier generation.

However, I am also surprised at the extreme negativity surrounding the Xcent. Cut-throat phrases thrown like 'Xcent was the maximum I could take'. For once- I felt hyundai got the better of the sub-4m constraints compared to the competition- with cleaner lines. I am not a fan of the fluidic design philosophy and pretty much liked the absence of excessive design elements here-

What happened to good looking cars?!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1406759068.803655.jpg

Agreed it is no lancer/ linea, but then, atleast IMHO- it's no DZire/ Vibe/ Quanto either.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st July 2014 at 04:15.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 08:44   #64
Team-BHP Support

Just two cars which spring to my mind

Octavia vRS

Ford Mondeo

These can give a run to any car, today, as far as looks go. And helps, that they were fast and a very good driver's car as well.

The Pajero and the new Pajero Sport, well...we all know the answer. What was wrong in plonking the new engine in the Pajero SFX?

In all honesty, I like the looks of the Storme, not really prefer it over the Safari, but do like it.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 09:12   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Just two cars which spring to my mind

Octavia vRS

Ford Mondeo

Thanks for reminding of Mondeo.

I used to be a teenager when that car was launched and boy, I was sold. I dreamt of owning one in my life. Never thought it would die so early.

Those black interiors and taut lines, it can still make you juices flow for sure
Old 31st July 2014, 10:24   #66
BHPian

My opinion is that those new Japanese and European designs are still holding good. Those who were done completely in India/modified in india are not up to the mark in terms of designs. Example Amaze, Dezire etc..
Indian designed cars are good when it comes to cost of ownership and maintenance.
Old 31st July 2014, 11:00   #67
BHPian

Not to forget the first generation Ford Endeavour and the current facelifted one. I loved the 1st gen and simply hate the present one with the 'trendy' peeled back headlights.

My personal favourite for timeless designs is the 1994 BMW 7 series of Tomorrow Never Dies and The Transporter fame. Wikipedia entry:

735i

Last edited by isiv : 31st July 2014 at 11:02. Reason: image
Old 31st July 2014, 11:40   #68
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The examples shared so far have been good -> bad, or bad -> good.

Here's a unique one. How did Mahindra possibly go from:

Bad....

....to worse?
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 11:53   #69
BHPian

I love the old-Zen for its shape, and also love to drive the car, sitting low, elbow on the window sill, and two fingers on the steering wheel.

But, how many of us would still buy it? (I would)
The norms have changed. The doors cannot be so thin anymore. The car with such low floor would not ride over any humps in Bangalore. My mom would not want to sit in the back seat. I cannot fit more than one suitcase in the boot.
I am 4 inches taller than my Uncle who bought the Zen. The fresh grad out of college in my office is 4 in taller than me, and a clean 20 Kilos heavier.
Last week, my colleague from US was in my car (Alto), and had his knees upto his chin.

The Zen, the old Alto were all never made for the Europeans. They were built for Japanese people, following Japanese standards. And it sold well in India for a while.

Now, Suzuki sells more cars in the US and Europe than ever before. And they sell in India as well. So, a single platform for all the markets is like a boon for the company.

Now, how many engine options do you want to fit into one car? Swift houses a 1.2, a 1.6 and a Fiat diesel. And it also comes in 2 door, 4 door styles. All of it in the same car? Then you ought to have some extra spare space in the engine bay, and also make some space for the Indian luggage.

And now considering the side impact beams, pedestrian safety, tall European passengers, more rear leg room for my mom, Bangalore road humps etc, the Swift is an absolute example of accommodating everything in one car.

And when it came to the super Mini's the Zen had to grow taller to make that extra space, and the result was the Estilo. Even the Minicooper has the country-man as the most locallized Indian car.

This was the Maruti story. Now the Europeans and the Americans. All these guys are of the 1 platform philosophy, trying to make the exact same thing. 1 hatch back, 1 sub 4 meter (Specially done for India), 1 Sedan and then load some gills and a C-segment car is also ready.

The sad part is that the consumer never gets what he wants. The one car fit all is such a boring theme.

In India, we also don't have these small scale manufacturers who would do just 15 cars a month Kind.
I feel, there is potentially a very huge market if someone wants to dare.
A convertible, a roadster, an open top Jeep, a supermini, a re-moded old Maruti 800, a two door hatch, all built to suit Indian tastes, by Indian companies.
Is this not possible? Are there no profit margins?

Or, are we not enthusiastic enough?
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 12:32   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The examples shared so far have been good -> bad, or bad -> good.

....to worse?
Totally agree with you. I never liked Quanto because it was a sliced version of Xylo and appeared cramped up. Mahindra's forte has been 4x4 vehicles and the SUV segment but Quanto was a result of changing times and competition with other existing brands. Just for the sake of having a so called "new model" Mahindra simply launched it. Where was their R&D team? Infact, rather than rolling out a Quanto, they could have re-worked over the front profile of Xylo.

If I am not wrong GTO then except for Scorpio, Bolero and XUV-500 none of the designs by Mahindra flourished in the private owner's mind as all of them ultimately became cabs.

On a lighter note, Was Quanto competing with Premier Rio by any chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wondering how a beautiful looking car like this, Became quirky like this:
GTO, Skoda Octavia's design is actually a timeless one no matter how bad their image is and once I also commented that irrespective of the brand's image, a well designed Octavia is still a head-tuner but don't you think that Laura is a fairly well designed car? I find the 2nd generation Laura to be far aggressive than the 1st generation. To my eyes the 2nd generation Superb looked ill-designed but the 1st generation Skoda Superb was really elegant in my opinion.

Thanks.
Old 31st July 2014, 12:34   #71
BHPian

Why was this ever taken out? Thank god they didn't screw up this beauty by doing a facelift. Quietly retired.

What happened to good looking cars?!-marutiudyogbaleno1378_1.jpg

IMO, Baleno, Lancer & 3rd Gen Honda City were great looking cars in the past decade.

As people mentioned, current mindset is to make the car look rich, shinning by adding 'Chrome, crease, cuts'. The 3Cs which makes current cars ugly.

Thanks.
nggk5mr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 12:49   #72
Senior - BHPian

Changing requirements of road safety regulations, aerodynamics and a general sense of design upgrade is what has brought this change. Take it this way - what you're seeing these days is what the junta wants!

Look at the cars of the future, for example. See how weird they get? Sharp, edgy, stark and in your face?!

As much as we would want the old and gold designs back, be prepared for the worst is yet to come!

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 31st July 2014 at 12:51.
Old 31st July 2014, 12:50   #73
Senior - BHPian

I feel we are being unfair to the sub 4m sedan segment. Its actually a whole new segment got created specifically for India because of 1. Tax Slab 2. I want a car with a boot

So they are currently just begining to Evolve and require more time before we see things like EcoSport
Old 31st July 2014, 12:59   #74

Simple Lines. In 2003 there was the Opel Vectra.
Attached Thumbnails
What happened to good looking cars?!-opelvectra06.jpg  

What happened to good looking cars?!-opelvectra005.jpg  

What happened to good looking cars?!-opelvectra003.jpg  

shyam163 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 13:08   #75
BHPian

This car although it may have never been sold in india. The challenger still looks good though
Attached Thumbnails
What happened to good looking cars?!-dodgecharger14.jpg  

What happened to good looking cars?!-2012_dodge_charger_srt8.jpg  

Ferrariwell is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks