Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2014, 21:24   #16
D4D
BHPian

Re: SCOOP: Renault Grand Scenic MPV spotted on the Bangalore-Chennai Highway

I thought Lodgy was the MPV for India. And looks like it. Lodgy was spotted testing in India, and rumor suggest that it will be launched in Jan 2015.

Grand Scenic is a "premium" Renault product and Lodgy is a Dacia product which is relatively cheaper.
Let's not get excited by the Grand Scenic until we see more.
Old 17th August 2014, 10:25   #17
BHPian

I think Renault Scenic will not come to India anytime soon. They are already gearing up for Lodgy launch. The trial production of Renault Lodgy has already started. In my opinion, this vehicle might have brought by either Renault or their competitor for component testing or bench marking.
Old 17th August 2014, 11:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

With Innova prices spiraling up every year with no feature additions to justify it, they can very well sell this in the 14L-18L range as a competitor to Innova. K9K series engines are equally durable as the D4D, as proven by the numerous Logan taxis on our roads.

Do some more R&D and by the time they are ready to launch, Toyota would have made Innova touch the 20L mark making this absolutely VFM.

It is too optimistic to think you'll get this for 8L-10L range. Even the Duster costs more than that.
Old 17th August 2014, 13:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
With Innova prices spiraling up every year with no feature additions to justify it, they can very well sell this in the 14L-18L range as a competitor to Innova. K9K series engines are equally durable as the D4D, as proven by the numerous Logan taxis on our roads.

Do some more R&D and by the time they are ready to launch, Toyota would have made Innova touch the 20L mark making this absolutely VFM.

It is too optimistic to think you'll get this for 8L-10L range. Even the Duster costs more than that.
I think everyone here is aware that this will not be launched in India anytime soon.

Sure the Innova will soon cost 20 lakhs and the Fortuner will soon be 35lakhs, but that didn't mean cars like the Aria, Pajero etc. were a success See the trend here, we are a very value driven market except when it comes to Toyotas
Old 17th August 2014, 13:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
See the trend here, we are a very value driven market except when it comes to Toyotas
I know it is unlikely to come here but this has certainly more potential than Fluence and Evalia combined - whether they want to label it as a European or a Japanese label. When they have these low volume models, what is the harm in trying it out? They certainly have a lot of unused capacity and the Datsun Go has just become the next Nano - so they don't have to reserve the capacity for the huge sales coming from Go since that is not going to happen either. Moreover, they don't have to compete with Maruti in this segment which is a huge relief for any automaker in India.

The only way Toyota would learn their lesson is if Honda decides to bring Odyssey here at a reasonable price. Considering Honda is struggling with capacity of its existing lineup and has a Jazz round the corner, they are unlikely to do anything threatening Toyota in the foreseeable future.
Old 17th August 2014, 13:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know it is unlikely to come here but this has certainly more potential than Fluence and Evalia combined - whether they want to label it as a European or a Japanese label. When they have these low volume models, what is the harm in trying it out? They certainly have a lot of unused capacity and the Datsun Go has just become the next Nano - so they don't have to reserve the capacity for the huge sales coming from Go since that is not going to happen either. Moreover, they don't have to compete with Maruti in this segment which is a huge relief for any automaker in India.

The only way Toyota would learn their lesson is if Honda decides to bring Odyssey here at a reasonable price. Considering Honda is struggling with capacity of its existing lineup and has a Jazz round the corner, they are unlikely to do anything threatening Toyota in the foreseeable future.
Might be the case with a sedan like the Octavia is to the Corolla. However, in the MPV segment, there is next to zero desirability factor. You just need a tough car made by a manufacturer like Toyota (atleast that's what the Indian market wants).

Just look at what happened to the Evalia or Aria. The latter being a far better offering in several people's opinion (especially in its new niggle free avataar) than the Innova
Old 17th August 2014, 15:13   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I guess we are just throwing in names of the popular MPVs around. The Odyssey for example is one of the expensive models from Honda (AFAIAK, the 2.4L petrol Odyssey costs more than the CRV will the same engine). And for Honda, most of these international models are available only in petrol. Even if they get a diesel, considering the direction which Honda is going in India, premium models in their portfolio will be a rarity.

From Renault, the realistic option at this point will be the renamed Dacia Lodgy to go against the likes of Ertiga and Mobilio.
Old 17th August 2014, 16:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I guess we are just throwing in names of the popular MPVs around. The Odyssey for example is one of the expensive models from Honda (AFAIAK, the 2.4L petrol Odyssey costs more than the CRV will the same engine). And for Honda, most of these international models are available only in petrol. Even if they get a diesel, considering the direction which Honda is going in India, premium models in their portfolio will be a rarity.

From Renault, the realistic option at this point will be the renamed Dacia Lodgy to go against the likes of Ertiga and Mobilio.
I agree that Odyssey if launched in India would be costlier than CRV and probably be pitted against Fortuner eventually. However, the free pricing that Toyota enjoys for Innova is also due to the lack of competition for Fortuner which helps them increase the price of both models to prevent overlapping prices. CRV being a 5 seater is no threat to Fortuner but a 7 seater might be; and that's the only way Toyota might be forced to do something along with price hikes. Currently, they just have Prado and Land Cruiser above the Fortuner and the hikes are just bridging that gap slowly.

Ertiga and Mobilio would enjoy the benefits of platform sharing, which Renault cannot get from Lodgy, which means they cannot undercut on pricing. So they might as well try to position them as a different segment with more features rather than presenting themselves as another costly alternative that looks cheap and failing to make a mark.
Old 17th August 2014, 16:42   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I agree that Odyssey if launched in India would be costlier than CRV and probably be pitted against Fortuner eventually. However, the free pricing that Toyota enjoys for Innova is also due to the lack of competition for Fortuner which helps them increase the price of both models to prevent overlapping prices. CRV being a 5 seater is no threat to Fortuner but a 7 seater might be; and that's the only way Toyota might be forced to do something along with price hikes. Currently, they just have Prado and Land Cruiser above the Fortuner and the hikes are just bridging that gap slowly.
OT: You are not getting what I trying to say. We are comparing a host of cars here just because those are MPVs. I mentioned, the CRV only for price reference, and not as a comparison. And how does a low slung MPV (almost like a sedan in height and GC) gets compared with Fortuner? Just because both have 7 seats?

Like in the sedan space, there are segment segregation in the MPV space (not so much in India, as we don't have enough models to compare). And I am not mixing up SUVs/Crossovers there.
Comparing a Grand Scenic/Odyssey with an Innova is like saying Renualt should reposition the Fluence to fight out with the Etios.

Quote:
Ertiga and Mobilio would enjoy the benefits of platform sharing, which Renault cannot get from Lodgy, which means they cannot undercut on pricing. So they might as well try to position them as a different segment with more features rather than presenting themselves as another costly alternative that looks cheap and failing to make a mark.
Its a cheap car, and even with a price point close to 9-10 lakhs Renault should make good profits. For example, in UK the Lodgy will come at a price point cheaper than the Suzuki Swift.
Old 17th August 2014, 19:57   #25
BHPian

SCOOP: Renault Grand Scenic MPV spotted on the Bangalore-Chennai Highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
OT: You are not getting what I trying to say. We are comparing a host of cars here just because those are MPVs. I mentioned, the CRV only for price reference, and not as a comparison. And how does a low slung MPV (almost like a sedan in height and GC) gets compared with Fortuner? Just because both have 7 seats?

Like in the sedan space, there are segment segregation in the MPV space (not so much in India, as we don't have enough models to compare). And I am not mixing up SUVs/Crossovers there.
Comparing a Grand Scenic/Odyssey with an Innova is like saying Renualt should reposition the Fluence to fight out with the Etios.

Its a cheap car, and even with a price point close to 9-10 lakhs Renault should make good profits. For example, in UK the Lodgy will come at a price point cheaper than the Suzuki Swift.

Exactly my point. I don't know why Honda Odyssey is being compared to Innova or even for that matter, Fortuner. Innova/Fortuner falls in different segment than Odyssey. Toyota Sienna is comparable to Odyssey. Both are full size mini vans, much bigger than Innova.

Even if Honda decides to bring Odyssey (highly unlikely), it will cost more than Fortuner for sure and hence no impact to either Innova or Fortuner (I believe comparison can't be made at all) and same will be the case for Sienna as well.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 17th August 2014 at 19:59.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 15:35   #26
Team-BHP Support

Does anyone know how this compares in size terms (external and internal) to the Innova?
Old 19th August 2014, 20:58   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Does anyone know how this compares in size terms (external and internal) to the Innova?
Browsed for the Scenic brochure in the Renault UK website and compared its dimensions (Grand Scenic) with those of the Innova ( Indian Brochure)

Dimensions Innova Grand Scenic
Overall Length 4584 mm 4573 mm
Overall Height 1760 mm 1645 mm
Overall width 1765 mm 2077 mm
Wheel base 2750 mm 2770 mm
Turn radius 5.4 m 5.5 m

For Internal dimensions i guess its better to check out the brochures and find out as it is easier i presume, the scenic brochure is BIG, attaching both brochures for reference

While it does not make complete sense to compare the Scenic UK model as, if at all Renault decide to launch it here, they might make slight changes, but this comparison is worth as a first look
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ScenicFamily.pdf (2.86 MB, 640 views)
The Observer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 15:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Scoop: Renault Lodgy spotted in India

IndianAutosBlog reader has spotted a test mule of this MPV being tested in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.

The test mule is heavily camouflaged, hence minimum exterior design cues can be identified. However, the Lodgy's design language (as appeared in international markets) clearly speaks of form over function.

One of the pictures reveal the interiors of the Lodgy. The dashboard is two toned - beige and black, housing circular air-con vents surrounded by chrome rings. Also noticeable is the storage area above the central console. The dashboard design seems identical to the one found on the Lodgy sold in international markets.

The Lodgy is based on the same MO platform which is derived from the BO platform of the Renault Duster. It is likely to be powered by Renault's 1.5 litre K9K diesel motor which currently does duty in several Nissan and Renault cars in India.

This 7-seater MPV will be Renault's 6th offering in India and will compete with cars such as Honda Mobilio, Maruti Ertiga, Chevrolet Enjoy, Nissan Evalia and Toyota Innova. The Lodgy is expected to go on sale in the first quarter of 2015.

SCOOP: Renault Grand Scenic MPV spotted on the Bangalore-Chennai Highway-spiedrenaultmpv.jpg

SCOOP: Renault Grand Scenic MPV spotted on the Bangalore-Chennai Highway-renaultlodgympvspiedgrille.jpg

SCOOP: Renault Grand Scenic MPV spotted on the Bangalore-Chennai Highway-renaultlodgympvspied1024x694.jpg

SCOOP: Renault Grand Scenic MPV spotted on the Bangalore-Chennai Highway-renaultlodgympvspiedrear1024x659.jpg

SCOOP: Renault Grand Scenic MPV spotted on the Bangalore-Chennai Highway-renaultlodgympvspiedinterior1024x548.jpg

Link to news article

Last edited by S2!!! : 17th September 2014 at 15:16.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 15:24   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
What color is that steering? It's an eyesore.
And weirdly positioned instrument cluster!
It's French. Being weird is a French national character!

On a serious note, I think India is ready for a premium MPV from a reputed manufacturer. Tata Aria failed because a) It was from TATA & b) Plain Jane styled

Looking at the number of high end Innovas running around, I think Renault may find a sizeable niche. Remember what we all said when Hyundai I20 was first launched??
Old 17th September 2014, 15:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

How does this tie into Datsun's plans with Go-Plus? I don't know why the Renault family will bring in 2 similar vehicles given that neither brand sets the sales chart on fire.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks