Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Can Elite i20 make a good Sedan?
Yes 31 50.82%
No 30 49.18%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2014, 18:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rendering: Elite i20 Sedan (no plans for production)

Folks! Came across a good wishful "sedan" rendering of Elite i20 on Facebook page of I.A.B. So do you all think that it can be a good looking sedan to replace the Hyundai's Verna? Lets have the views folks!

Rendering: Elite i20 Sedan (no plans for production)-hyundaielitei20sedanrenderingfrontthreequarter.jpg

Rendering: Elite i20 Sedan (no plans for production)-hyundaielitei20sedanrenderingrearthreequarter.jpg

Quote:
Automobile manipulator Theophilus Chin has created a rendering that give us an idea on what to expect if Hyundai were to pursue the route that Volkswagen took for the Polo/Vento twins.

The Fluidic Design V2.0 language of the Elite i20, if extended to include a third box, could offer about 400 liters of space as against the Elite i20′s 285 litres.
Link: https://www.facebook.com/IndianAutosBlog

PS: Mods, I have started this thread separately as I did not know whether to merge it with Official review of Elite i20. However, if needed then please do the needful.

Thanks
ad3952n is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 18:05   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rendering: Elite i20 Sedan (no plans for production)

The brake lights look even better on the boot! Though we can't have a proper view, I guess this will still make a good looking sedan.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 18:11   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Agreed. To me, this version looks better than the actual production version of Elite i20. Replacement to Verna? May be not. Verna is a good looking machine in itself. May be a facelift to the Xcent, but only if Hyundai can compress this within the stipulated 4mts. regulation.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 18:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
... May be a facelift to the Xcent, but only if Hyundai can compress this within the stipulated 4mts. regulation.
Which I guess is impossible if they just add an boot to the i20. As the hatch in itself is around 3995mm(correct me if am wrong here?).

Only possiblity is going the VW way i.e. Polo+boot = Vento. But for that segment they already have a pretty successful car in Verna. I doubt Hyundai will want to change that for now.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 18:47   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai already has the successful sedan called Accent(called Verna in India), positioned exactly where i20 with an add on boot would rather be placed. Why would Hyundai bother with i20 Sedan?

Sub 4m Sedans including Xcent(i10 Grand based sub 4m Sedan) are an unique requirement for India, considering the strange excise tax regulations and our country's obsession for cars with boot. I find each and every Sub 4M sedan UGLY.
.anshuman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 18:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

I rather Hyundai keep the Elite as a hatch as that is what it is meant to be and does the best and let Xcent do its job as a 4meter sedan and Verna is already present to cover the next segment.

A sedan based on the i20 is like offering a bit too many models and cluttering their own portfolio.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 20:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Folks! I feel seeing it as a replacement to Verna is far fetched because to my layman knowledge the Hyundai Verna appears to be bigger in size than the "wishful" sedan of Elite i20. May be later on, say within 2-3 years this can come as a refresh version of the present Hyundai Xcent and correct me if I am wrong, this can compete to the Toyota Vios too.

Verna Vs i20 Sedan

Pic: http://www.maruticarsindia.in/wp-con...ndai-Verna.jpg

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Rendering: Elite i20 Sedan (no plans for production)-2011hyundaiverna.jpg  

Rendering: Elite i20 Sedan (no plans for production)-hyundaielitei20sedanrenderingfrontthreequarter.jpg  

Last edited by ad3952n : 21st August 2014 at 20:24.
Old 21st August 2014, 20:29   #8
BHPian

Well I don't like the idea of stretching a hatch to make it a sedan sans Vento.
But this rendering looks good. Although I don't think Hyundai have any space to squeeze it in between Xcent and Verna. They would rather be interested in getting a mini suv in this space.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 20:36   #9
BHPian

Well, it does look a lot better than the ugly Xcent. If Hyundai have any room left to slot something like this between the Verna and Xcent then why not. If Maruti can sell different generations of the same car simultaneously then there should be a market for this too.

Its an entirely different matter altogether that I would never make up my mind to put my money on these fancy tin cans by Hyundai. I'm sure the market however will lap it up.
suhas_raj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 20:39   #10
BHPian

Learning from the quick test drive reviews by BHPians, it seems like Elite i20 improved on many counts over the iGen i20. I tend to think the handling in Verna was similar to iGen i20, may be marginally better.

I may be far off in my thought, what if this can be replacement for Verna with bigger Diesel & Petrol motors under the hood?
Pam81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 20:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhas_raj View Post
Well, it does look a lot better than the ugly Xcent. If Hyundai have any room left to slot something like this between the Verna and Xcent then why not. If Maruti can sell different generations of the same car simultaneously then there should be a market for this too.

Its an entirely different matter altogether that I would never make up my mind to put my money on these fancy tin cans by Hyundai. I'm sure the market however will lap it up.
Well sir different companies make cars with different types of sheet metal. It is not just Hyundai who make cars using thin sheet metal. So I think it is unnecessary to blame them this way. Even Maruti Suzuki uses thin sheet metal and they are the no.1 seller in our market.

Please note I'm neither a Hyundai car owner nor a fanboy.
Old 21st August 2014, 21:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
It is not just Hyundai who make cars using thin sheet metal. So I think it is unnecessary to blame them this way. Even Maruti Suzuki uses thin sheet metal and they are the no.1 seller in our market.
In today's time bulky cars are not deemed as fuel efficient hence irrespective of brands the common consensus is to develop a design which proves eligible for the target audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhas_raj View Post
If Maruti can sell different generations of the same car simultaneously then there should be a market for this too.
Correct, I see the Xcent and Grand i10 being sold together. So, this can be a good option. However, it does need to be placed at the right position.

Quote:
I would never make up my mind to put my money on these fancy tin cans by Hyundai.
As far as metal sheet quality is considered, I feel all major brands have the same parameters designated for the thickness of metal to be used. Honda in it's City model uses thin sheet of metal (experience talking) but at the end it's selling as a hot cake.

One undeniable fact about Hyundai is that the fit and finish provided by them is really good.

Going by the looks of the i20 Elite Sedan, I feel it has got more acumen to come out as a sedan.

Thanks

Last edited by ad3952n : 21st August 2014 at 21:24. Reason: quote fix
Old 21st August 2014, 22:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Looking good, but it takes you down the years, feels a bit retro.

And replacing the Verna? I do not think so. Hence I voted against.

P.S: Good sedan not equal to good looking sedan. I was mislead by the thread title. Wait a minute, now we are talking about looks; and aren't looks highly subjective worth to be discussed on a new thread? Just my thoughts.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 22:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
P.S: Good sedan not equal to good looking sedan. I was mislead by the thread title. Wait a minute, now we are talking about looks
It's a wishful "sedan" rendering buddy of recently launched i20 Elite from Hyundai. Over here the term "good" refers to all the aspects i.e Looks, Performance et al.

Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 23:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

If Hyundai India is going to be designing the i20 elite sedan, then those tail lamps in the render, will never see the light of day!!
They will be similar to those seen on Xcent.
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks