Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2014, 01:20   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Yeti Facelift launched in India at 18.63 Lakhs

Glad that you've, and continue to enjoy your Yeti Mr. Balan.

It is definitely a great little car. It's a versatile, solid, desirable little vehicle. It does have its draw backs such as interior quality. I've always felt that the interior finish and fit was more 10 lakh Polo than 20 lakh Octavia. Maybe there's a reason for that? Perhaps Skoda designed it around the model of a rough-use car given that it's the sort of car people may put through a little abuse? I'm not quite sure.
The other grouse I've had with it is that there was no proper top-of-the-line variant with a sunroof, DSG 'box and the kitchen sink.

But the Yeti had a trump-card and that was its price-tag. It straddled the segment right below the Laura / Octavia and the Vento / Rapid. You could even get a 4x2 version, and let's face it, 90% of the people will take it on a defined kaccha road through the estates of Coorg or Chikmaglur at the most. My friend's trusty Swift managed it recently and I'm sure the Yeti 4x2 would breeze through it. It's lighter than the 4x4, probably drinks marginally less fuel and may also be a tad easier to drive, owing to the lighter clutch, as reported several times. But most importantly, it was priced pretty damn well. Or maybe the Duster was priced alarmingly close to it, and thus seemed like a raw deal next to the well priced German engineering that the Yeti is?

But with the new Yeti having received minor updates internally and externally (yes, I do like the new Corporate look but the old Yeti has some character and a little charm courtesy those funky round lights), the price has literally sky-rocketed! I mean, 26 lakhs for what is essentially the same package it used to be is something I can't seem to justify. I see no reason in it whatsoever.

Cars like the Duster that looked too expensive are suddenly appearing to be reasonable. The XUV looks like an even more VFM package now (only considering it because it too is in the 15-20 lakh bracket). The Yeti was and still is a great car. You could consider it over a top-end Duster or a XUV, but the revised price-tag takes the Yeti and plonks it right in the middle of some serious company like the Fortuner and Santa-Fe. Yes, the Santa Fe too is priced quite high, but Hyundai can sort-of justify it because it's a phenomenally substantial step over the obviously dated previous generation Santa Fe. However, I'm not sure if Skoda could, with this new face-lift Yeti.

What this huge-price-hike has done is taken the Yeti out of the mid-budget SUV / Crossover segment and plonked it tantalizingly close to the premium SUV-Crossover segment. Which the Yeti clearly is not when you consider the fact that it misses out on the features / equipment and sheer quality that helps justify a 26 lakh price tag (for the record, the Fortuner too doesn't justify its ridiculous price, but at least it's absolutely bullet-proof and carries appeal, sorry, people )

Don't get me wrong, the Yeti is a great car. Even Jeremy Clarkson raved about it when it hit the market, and he usually looks at reasonably priced cars with great dislike, bordering on contempt.

Think of it this way. With the base-X1, the Q3 S and the Countryman a few lakhs away, wouldn't you consider them when you look at a 26 lakh Yeti? You would, wouldn't you? Could you have considered the these three cars a year earlier, when you were looking at a Yeti at 18 lakhs? I certainly wouldn't.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th September 2014 at 01:25. Reason: typo
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 02:21   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

The current generation Yeti with DSG and Panoramic sun roof for 26l on road, I will surely buy it over the Q3, X1, Mini countryman, Volvo V40, Mercedes GLA. Skoda should have launched the international L&K Yeti as the top end model at that price in India.

Come on Skoda, redeem yourself by getting the 2L tsi Octavia VRS to India soon (wishful thinking)
robimahanta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 07:40   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Think of it this way. With the base-X1, the Q3 S and the Countryman a few lakhs away, wouldn't you consider them when you look at a 26 lakh Yeti? You would, wouldn't you? Could you have considered the these three cars a year earlier, when you were looking at a Yeti at 18 lakhs? I certainly wouldn't.
When it was 18L, the price of base X1/Q3 were too in 24-28L. Lets see what's now ( Bangalore OTR):
Base-X1 ~ 37L
Q3 S ~33L
CountryMan D High ~ 41L

All the above are FWD variants. If someone wants to buy a competent AWD crossover (putting aside the brand) within the 20-30L brackets, what do we have (NONE, actually one or two):

Yeti AWD ~ 26L
CRV AWD (petrol) ~ 31L
Captiva AWD ~ 33L
Santa Fe AWD ~ 36L
Q3 Quattro base ~ 41L
X1 xdrive ~ 43L
Volvo XC60 AWD ~ 66L
CountryMan (no AWD variants)

In the past 2-3 years, the price had escalated significantly for all brands, so there is no point singling out a specific brand, just because it appears 'little'.

Last edited by iTNerd : 15th September 2014 at 07:48.
Old 15th September 2014, 07:52   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
When it was 18L, the price of base X1/Q3 were too in 24-28L. Lets see what's now ( Bangalore OTR):
Base-X1 ~ 37L
Q3 S ~33L
CountryMan D High ~ 41L

All the above are FWD variants. If someone wants to buy a competent AWD crossover (putting aside the brand) within the 20-30L brackets, what do we have (NONE, actually one or two):

Yeti AWD ~ 26L
CRV AWD (petrol) ~ 31L
Captiva AWD ~ 33L
Santa Fe AWD ~ 36L
Q3 Quattro base ~ 41L
X1 xdrive ~ 43L
Volvo XC60 AWD ~ 66L

In the past 2-3 years, the price had escalated for all brands, so there is no point singling out a specific model, just because it appears 'little'.
Just a small correction there. X1 is RWD and we don't have the xDrive variant in India.

Most of us here are not berating the Yeti for its appearance or size. Even a base Ambiente/Ambition variant of the Yeti will have better quality than the top-of-the-line Duster/Terrano. And the Elegance/L&K variant available in Europe can easily trump some of the more expensive crossovers. The grouse I guess is mainly for Skoda missing a chance, as the current line-up in India is neither here nor there.

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th September 2014 at 08:04.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 08:17   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Just a small correction there. X1 is RWD and we don't have the xDrive variant in India.

Most of us here are not berating the Yeti for its appearance or size. Even a base Ambiente/Ambition variant of the Yeti will have better quality than the top-of-the-line Duster/Terrano. And the Elegance/L&K variant available in Europe can easily trump some of the more expensive crossovers. The grouse I guess is mainly for Skoda missing a chance, as the current line-up in India is neither here nor there.
My bad, meant to write, they are not AWD!

Quote:
I am not sure how true it is, but the new MD talked about the very low preferences of the Active/Ambiente variants in the past, and that most of the sales of the Yeti were from the Elegance top variant. I hope they do bring the lower trims with the smaller petrol turbo and 1.6D. At the price point 14-18 lacs, it could be a game changer in the exploding and expanding pseudo SUV sales.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 09:17   #96
Team-BHP Support

As mentioned in other posts, I nearly bought one, I actually went to the dealer with a cheque book in hand but something did not click although it was a brilliant car

A friend of mine picked up a used one for Rs 12 Lakhs. That is brilliant value and for that money, I might have fallen for it. He is a wildlife enthusiast and uses it for rough use and revels in it. He also has a volvo XC60 which he bought used for a little less that a new Yeti

A cousin of mine was planning for a Yeti 4X2 but went for an EcoSport - his reasoning was that the different in price did not justify it.

Its nothing about the product, its the price. If it was positioned a little below the Octavia, it might have takers

Last edited by ajmat : 15th September 2014 at 09:23.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 09:23   #97
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I have written elsewhere that what I was seeking was function, ergonomics, a little form, lots of safety and lots of comfort.

I was actually ready to buy the Duster because I only wanted something in that sort of price range. Unfortunately for me, both the Duster and the EcoSport came almost one year too late and more importantly neither came with 4x4 which for me, was a desirable.

Fortunately for me, I broke my own mindset and went hell for leather, negotiated on and bought a Yeti. I ve not looked back since.

The only reasons for which I would consider a Duster (with AWD of course) is because it is marginally larger, higher off the ground and in general, cheaper, so one can beat it about much more than one would, the Yeti.
Old 15th September 2014, 09:42   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The X1 launched in 2010 at 22 lakhs ex-showroom (Base). Today the base model is 31 lakhs.

IMHO the price difference between the two has remained similar. Its not just Skoda who have raised prices - the exchange rate has affected all manufacturers. What was 44 to a $ then is now 61, which is more than 35% increase - to expect prices of CBU/CKD kits to remain constant in such a scenario is being extremely optimistic.

Last edited by Steeroid : 15th September 2014 at 09:45.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 10:04   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Just take the Haldex intelligent AWD system. Skoda offered that level of AWD traction only in 4x4 V6 Superb in India which is their flagship model. The other cars in which the Haldex AWD system was featured in India were Freelander 2 and Volvo XC 60 both which costs more than double the price and belongs to a higher category. Means you can't even dream of Haldex AWD system (be it any version) in a car anywhere near this price bracket.

A person who is looking at an all round car with good built quality, who needs huge FTD factor, enjoys manual shift, is tech loving to appreciate the advantages of Haldex traction system, etc. can invest in a Yeti without thinking twice. I am one of the first Yeti owners in India and got it OTR for around 18.7 lakhs in 2010 soon after the launch. Driven around 57K Kms now and Yeti still impresses me with every drive.
Agreed to what you shared but even after this face lift, it is the 4th generation Haldex system that has been used while the 5th generation system which is much more reliable with less parts and complexity is available and has been used by several manufacturers for past few years.

Reliability and availability of spares has always been Achilles Heel for Skoda, why can't they just provide something which is more reliable and easy to maintain.

Assume a Skoda with DSG and 4th Generation Haldex together appearing in a market like India where companies fail to honor warranties on their products !

Skoda has to either make fool proof technology or will have to pitch in for better consumer satisfaction with their product.

Cheers
Old 15th September 2014, 10:09   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Agreed to what you shared but even after this face lift, it is the 4th generation Haldex system that has been used while the 5th generation system which is much more reliable with less parts and complexity is available and has been used by several manufacturers for past few years.

Reliability and availability of spares has always been Achilles Heel for Skoda, why can't they just provide something which is more reliable and easy to maintain.

Assume a Skoda with DSG and 4th Generation Haldex together appearing in a market like India where companies fail to honor warranties on their products !

Skoda has to either make fool proof technology or will have to pitch in for better consumer satisfaction with their product.

Cheers
FYI, the new Yeti Outdoor 4x4 features the Haldex Fifth Generation AWD.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 10:13   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The X1 launched in 2010 at 22 lakhs ex-showroom (Base). Today the base model is 31 lakhs.

IMHO the price difference between the two has remained similar. Its not just Skoda who have raised prices - the exchange rate has affected all manufacturers. What was 44 to a $ then is now 61, which is more than 35% increase - to expect prices of CBU/CKD kits to remain constant in such a scenario is being extremely optimistic.
IMO There is absolutely NO justification for it to be priced at 26 lakhs when the Octavia (loaded with waaayyyyy more features and equipment + better interior quality / fit-finish) is 2 lakhs cheaper. The Octavia even has the ground-clearance now.

Skoda has no business pricing the Yeti higher than the Octavia. Period.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 10:21   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Base-X1 ~ 37L
Q3 S ~33L
CountryMan D High ~ 41L

Yeti AWD ~ 26L
CRV AWD (petrol) ~ 31L
Captiva AWD ~ 33L
Santa Fe AWD ~ 36L
Q3 Quattro base ~ 41L
X1 xdrive ~ 43L
Volvo XC60 AWD ~ 66L

In the past 2-3 years, the price had escalated significantly for all brands, so there is no point singling out a specific brand, just because it appears 'little'.
Well let me correct you on the X1 caz I have been in the market and it was one of the car I considered. The X1 Sportline (one without the Xenon & sunroof) has a whopping 8-10 lakhs rupees discount on the ex-showroom price depending on your negotiation skills. So in Bangalore it comes at about 29.xx on road.

So we can argue for the sake of argument but why would someone buy a Yetti at 26 lakh on road when they can get an X1 for 29.xx with BMW secure?

Call it as we may, Skoda is not a BMW or an Audi. However their pricing strategy seems to be going the BMW/Audi way. If only their ASS and customer service too went that way.

Skoda as a brand is considered budget brand in European countries. However for Skoda to price their cars like BMW or even close to it needs sanity check on their end.

Last edited by aseem : 15th September 2014 at 10:44.
Old 15th September 2014, 10:58   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Well let me correct you on the X1 caz I have been in the market and it was one of the car I considered. The X1 Sportline (one without the Xenon & sunroof) has a whopping 8-10 lakhs rupees discount on the ex-showroom price depending on your negotiation skills. So in Bangalore it comes at about 29.xx on road.

So we can argue for the sake of argument but why would someone buy a Yetti at 26 lakh on road when they can get an X1 for 29.xx with BMW secure?

Call it as we may, Skoda is not a BMW or an Audi. However their pricing strategy seems to be going the BMW/Audi way. If only their ASS and customer service too went that way.

Skoda as a brand is considered budget brand in European countries. However for Skoda to price their cars like BMW or even close to it needs sanity check on their end.
well, if that is your reasoning, I can also easily say, in few months, the Yeti 4x4 would be available 5-6 lakhs discount at 20.xx on road Bangalore (depending on your negotiation skills)! In fact, that is what I did in later 2012 - got it for 17.xx on road with deep ~4 lacs discount.

Quote:
I don't know about you and others, but if I need a crossover with AWD/4x4 capability, why would I even consider the base non-AWD X1/Q3 and pay premium? I will NOT pay a 7-11 lacs premium for a under-featured soul-less 4x2 crossover just for the 4 rings/kidney grills. At the price-point I bought the Yeti 4x4 simply for the reasons below:

Skoda Yeti Facelift launched in India at 18.63 Lakhs-yeti.jpg
Skoda Yeti Facelift launched in India at 18.63 Lakhs-yeti-2.jpg
Skoda Yeti Facelift launched in India at 18.63 Lakhs-yeti3.jpg

If I own a X1/Q3 or Q7 for that matter, I don't think I would have the nerves to even take it to unpaved roads the least. With specific to X1 RWD, for me its even plain use-less as I often go to the Himalayas all round the year where there are snow, slush, mud and rocks etc. the RWD X1 will be traction less in tackling those slippery terrains than say a Q1 FWD, forget the Yeti 4x4.

Last edited by iTNerd : 15th September 2014 at 11:24.
iTNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 11:05   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
IMO There is absolutely NO justification for it to be priced at 26 lakhs when the Octavia (loaded with waaayyyyy more features and equipment + better interior quality / fit-finish) is 2 lakhs cheaper. The Octavia even has the ground-clearance now.

Skoda has no business pricing the Yeti higher than the Octavia. Period.
I'm sorry but there is nothing "period" about that statement - it is highly questionable on a number of counts. Firstly you're comparing across two segments, and secondly you're comparing a 4WD (and a capable one too, ground-clearance notwithstanding) with a sedan.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 11:23   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
FYI, the new Yeti Outdoor 4x4 features the Haldex Fifth Generation AWD.
Is it launched in India? I think "No" only the Elegance trim has been launched and the AWD is still the 4th generation; correct me if I have mistaken.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks