Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2014, 13:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Mercedes GLA-Class launched at Rs 32.75 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
While looking at the prices one needs to bear in mind that GLA is still a CBU whereas X1 and Q3 are CKDs.

I am expecting a 2-3 lakh drop in price or considerable bump in features/engine once the CKD operations start, which they will sometime in 2015.

Its a great product, that dosent turn boring like the Q3 and has better feel unlike the utilitarian X1.

Mercedes gets brownie points from me.
No CKD operations for A, B and GLA Class cars anytime soon. The next and 6th CKD operation for Mercedes Benz India is the CLA sedan.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 19:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Had gone to the GLA pre-launch in UB City Bangalore last Sunday. The car looks good in person with big wheel arches. One good thing about baby Merc's is that they are fully loaded and feel like a Merc unlike X1 & Q3 which loose out on a lot of goodies and feel good factor. Uploading some pictures from the event.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes GLA-Class launched at Rs 32.75 lakh-20140929-12.34.07.jpg  

aseem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 22:14   #18
BHPian

It is a looker and it is priced on par with its competition the X1 and the Q3. The top spec X1 OTR bangalore is close to 45 lakhs and I think the GLA would cost around the same but the reality is that the X1 has loads of discounts almost all year long.

Interesting choice for prospective customers because the X1 is a hoot drive (rear wheel) loads of power on tap, more spacious Vs the GLA with mouth watering looks, cramped interior and less power and torque than the jetta.
Old 2nd October 2014, 09:52   #19
anb
BHPian

I feel the GLA is overpriced by a at least by couple of lakhs. GLA200CDI is too underpowered for the price. 134 bhp diesel engine for a Rs.40 lakhs vehicle is a joke considering cars with even less than half the price tag has more powerful engines.
Old 2nd October 2014, 18:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well well. I have seen a couple on the road in Delhi already. Its a smallish SUV, almost identical in size to the duster.
While it makes a lot of sense in India as this is just the kind of size that is manageable in City Traffic, the car does seem overpriced.
The Overpriced aspect is further highlighted when you go into a Mercedes Showroom and realize you can buy many of the larger cars for a little more money. The E & C Class are always available with mouth watering discounts.
My justification of comparing the price of the GLA with Mercedes Sedans is that most people buying cars at Mercedes, BMW and Audi are buying the brand and not necessarily shopping for a certain style of body.
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 19:03   #21
BHPian

Styling - Looks good on the outside. While quality wont be compromised, design of interior could have been better for an SUV(ish) car.

Performance - While petrol motor spec isn't that bad, diesel motor seems surprisingly underpowered for a car at that price.

Price - Yeah you get the 3 pointed star I know... Still it sounds a little too steep. Reminded me of the A class with underpowered diesel motor and a premium price tag.
Old 2nd October 2014, 20:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Well well. I have seen a couple on the road in Delhi already. Its a smallish SUV, almost identical in size to the duster.
While it makes a lot of sense in India as this is just the kind of size that is manageable in City Traffic, the car does seem overpriced.
The Overpriced aspect is further highlighted when you go into a Mercedes Showroom and realize you can buy many of the larger cars for a little more money. The E & C Class are always available with mouth watering discounts.
My justification of comparing the price of the GLA with Mercedes Sedans is that most people buying cars at Mercedes, BMW and Audi are buying the brand and not necessarily shopping for a certain style of body.
I felt the same way about the A3 as well. But perhaps this is launch hysteria and once things settle down and discounts come on the entry-level cars as well, normalcy will be restored and the leap to the next segment may become out of reach.
Old 2nd October 2014, 22:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Mercedes-Benz has launched the GLA crossover in India at prices starting from Rs. 32.75 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). The car is pitted against compact SUVs such as the BMW X1 and Audi Q3.

The GLA is available with a choice of two 4-cylinder engines - one petrol one diesel. The petrol unit is a 1991 cc motor that develops 181 bhp @ 5500 rpm and 300 Nm of torque @ 1200-1400 rpm. The diesel engine has a displacement of 2143 cc and produces 134 bhp @ 3600-4400 rpm and 300 Nm of torque @ 1600-3000 rpm. Both engines are mated to a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission.Mercedes claims fuel efficiency figures of 13.7 kpl and 17.9 kpl for the petrol and diesel engines respectively.

Attachment 1294870
Think MB too got the data wrong? 300Nm @ 1200-1400 for petrol?

Their brochure in pdf shows 1200-4000 rpm.

Few other things which is nice .. 183mm ground clearance and the audio, 450W Harman Logic 7 .

Note: They also have specs/details of GLA AMG in Indian brochure!.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes GLA-Class launched at Rs 32.75 lakh-gla.jpg  

Old 3rd October 2014, 06:44   #24
BHPian

With 134bhp for 40 odd lakhs, I am not sure how many takers would be there, especially when you compare to more practical old warhorses like Q3 and X1 already with a strong presence in the market. The pricing might have to be revisited if Merc wants to make a serious impact in this segment. It being a CBU also doesn't help in the pricing.
But, the car does look like a fantastic small beast. With those bold lines and butch styling, we surely have a looker on roads here.
Old 3rd October 2014, 19:23   #25
NKR
BHPian

1. I am also echoing the same thoughts.

2. One might go in for the Yeti (with German lineage) and shell out almost 12L lesser and still get 140 horses under the hood . On the flip slide you will not get the three pointed star.

3. I hope some one posts a detailed user review so as to get to know this car better.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th October 2014 at 18:04. Reason: Removing broken quote tag ;)
Old 3rd October 2014, 20:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

Note: They also have specs/details of GLA AMG in Indian brochure!.

That's because GLA 45 AMG will be launched in India very soon

Cheers
amansanc
Old 26th October 2014, 11:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

A friend told me the dealer at Kochi is getting around 42 cars this year and all of them are sold out. I am yet to catch one in person on road here though.
Old 27th October 2014, 14:00   #28
BHPian

The GLA45 AMG has been officially launched today~ Its priced at 69.6 lakhs (ex-Mumbai). Here's Top Gear India's review & pricing announcement from Overdrive
Old 13th November 2014, 12:50   #29
BHPian

Mod Note: Team-BHP's review of the GLA-Class has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion on the new thread. Thanks!

Took a test drive of the diesel style variant yesterday. The car looks fabulous in person. However, the seating and driving characteristics are woefully lacking. The rear seating is quite low and has very little thigh support on top of this. There is also no rear armrest in the style, even though it is mentioned in the brochure. I also found the rear back to be too straight. The engine on paper has almost the same characteristics as that in the Laura DSG, but the laura feels far more responsive than the GLA. Engine noise inside the cabin was also very high despite the radio being on. The suspension was a gem, and it took horrible roads with ease. Given that on-road Mumbai pricing is almost 43l for the style variant, I am unsure who the target market is. It doesnt drive well enough for self drive enthusiasts, and is not comfortable enough for rear seat passengers. Just my take on the car. Am going for the Audi Q3 test drive tomorrow, will update this post on how the 2 compare.

Last edited by GTO : 17th November 2014 at 08:56. Reason: Link to review :)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks