Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2014, 21:29   #16
BHPian

Re: The curious case of Gujarat's 'green sportscar'

Browsed the website. They have stated PMDC (Permanent Magnet DC Motor) used for propulsion with carbon brushes and 97% efficiency.

My engineering understanding indicates PMDC to be a high torque motor but on continuous use the torque characteristics will degrade. It is widely used in motion control and power transmission applications or as servo motors. The high efficiency also seems to be a remarkable achievement. They are doing engineering wonder.
AshBabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 23:18   #17
BHPian

wonder who is taking whom for a ride here. Hope Modi's "Make In India" slogan is not made a mockery of by these guys. Also, Paypal based booking? Are they selling toy models? :P
Old 2nd December 2014, 00:34   #18
BHPian

This is a really curious case indeed.

Read this:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/19765143.cms

And the company website declares that its name is "Supernova-EV pvt Ltd."

But I am unable to find registration details of such an entity on the MCA website. However, there is a "Supernovaev Limited" registered in the UK. No "Dhanesh Shah" or "Shashibhushan Dayabh Vyas" could be found as holding a directorship in any Indian company with a similar name.

Whatever is this, this is really very very curious.
Yeldo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 03:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Someone saw the inflated share prices of Tesla and Ellon Musk's fortune and decided to do a cutprice jugaad in India. What he doesn't realise is that most Indian's have been there and experienced that!!

The 20 million share capital and paypal booking scheme would put most nigerian ebay scams to shame!!
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 05:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Went through the website about 10 times and the best joke i found was in Bookings section. HILARIOUS !!!

Dear Customers...!! We Accept Payments for Booking Our SNEV Cars through Paypal Account.
Online Booking window for SNEV Cars will Start Soon.....!! Keep Visiting the Website for Latest updates...!!

Regards,
h@r$h@l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:06   #21
BHPian

The idea is too good if they can come up with some realistic output. This one definitely looks like an graduate project. This should be projected as prototype seeking R&D budget from big shots rather than claiming it to be production ready.
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
" Body: Full Fibre Glass body with mesh. Soon to biodegradable"
Biodegradable? They did say the old east german trabant had a body made of cardboard but this was because of some recycled plastic manufactured from cotton waste used in its construction.

It'd be an entirely interesting thing if these fellows went ahead and built the first cardboard body car.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:44   #23
BHPian

Anyone who invests in this company might as well throw their money out of the window. A quick read of the website throws up gems like this:

Quote:
*SuperNova-EV has 20 million share capital available.
*Share Capitals are Available for first come first given Bases.
Quote:
SNEV-1
Use of electricity,Hydrongen+CNG and Conventional Power Resources as Fuel
Body: Full Fibre Glass body with mesh. Soon to biodegradable
SNEV-2 is even better --> it's an electric car powered by hydrogen and CNG. What? Even though SNEV-1 has 78 hp and exactly the same weight as SNEV-2 which has 120hp, both take 9.9 seconds to reach 0-100!

And then we have the gem of the SNEV - 3 car which has the same picture as the SNEV 1 and is a conventional fuel car with no air pollution, uses solar, bio-diesel, etc as fuel! Really? ``Solar,bio-diesel,etc'' - what is the etc bit? Nuclear, hydropower, windpower, arc reactor?

It's like the Nigerian scam. There was an article a year ago in the Economist that said that they use bad English and improbable schemes such as the ''Coco-Cola-Pepsi Lotto'' to only get the gullible.

Given that all their cars are ``soon to be biodegradable'' lets hope no one here sinks their money into this biodegradable money losing scheme.
djpeesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 14:14   #24
BHPian

I had visited the SNEV Stall at the Auto show recentely held in Gandhinagar. I got an opportunity to have a word with Mr Vyas.

He claimed he has done an extensive road testing in UK & India. He is also going to set up charging centers across various cities of the nation. The car indeed can do 800 - 1000 kms with one charge & the charging doesnot take more than 15-20 minutes. The models on display are hand made & were used for testing (the ones which are posted in the thread).

The production car will be a lot more finished looking. The seats in the display car were as low as an F1 car, its almost like you sit with your legs straight. Let just hope they come up with something better than DC Avanti with the finished product in terms of looks.
Old 2nd December 2014, 16:52   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I think car-making should be left to big players. Otherwise, the end result appears tacky, crude and dated-looking.
You know, I used to think the same until the Tesla Model S came along. This is a sedan that has successfully fought (& defeated) the best of the best cars (i.e. the S-Class, 7-Series & A8). The latest versions do 0 - 100 in 3.2 seconds!

Tesla was / is tiny & young compared to the German biggies. But Elon Musk did show how it can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera555 View Post
I got an opportunity to have a word with Mr Vyas.
Well, he would say that, wouldn't he? I'll believe him when I actually see results. Right now, he's got nothing to show for it except a shoddy prototype, verbal promises and a couple of loud claims on his website.

FYI: After spending millions of $$$ in R&D, global giants like VW, GM, Ford, Mercedes, Nissan & Toyota have EV cars that have <100 mile / 160 kph range. Tesla - the pioneer of EVs - has close to 300 miles. You can understand our apprehensions when a stranger with a hand-built jugaad car says his EV has a range of 1000 kms.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 17:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You know, I used to think the same until the Tesla Model S came along. This is a sedan that has successfully fought (& defeated) the best of the best cars (i.e. the S-Class, 7-Series & A8). The latest versions do 0 - 100 in 3.2 seconds!

Tesla was / is tiny & young compared to the German biggies. But Elon Musk did show how it can be done.
Yes, GTO you are right. But Tesla is on a complete different plane. This one looks extremely dated. Even roadside garage could have pulled off a better looking one, as far as astheitcs are concerned. It has that unmistakable mid-80s look.
Old 2nd December 2014, 21:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera555 View Post
He claimed he has done an extensive road testing in UK & India. He is also going to set up charging centers across various cities of the nation. The car indeed can do 800 - 1000 kms with one charge & the charging doesnot take more than 15-20 minutes. The models on display are hand made & were used for testing (the ones which are posted in the thread).
Words are easy to speak but execution is different game altogether.

I remember a project (15 years back) of Mahindra who were trying to develop battery operated small truck (like Tata Ace zip) in Coimbatore. The concept was taken from battery operated fork lifts. The motors were developed by Coimbatore based motor company and I was the motor designer. It was compound traction motor. Mahindra had built about 20-25 vehicles and tested it extensively. They tested these vehicles in Nepal (hilly terrain) also.

They had plans of establishing battery charging stations in each city. Their game plan was to eliminate conventional fuel load carrying trucks in the city. It would have been a revolution. But shortcomings in battery technology (charging duration) resulted in many issues. I think they shelved the project.

Not sure whether battery technology had improved to such an extent in the passing years. Also Mahindra with all their financial power were not able to execute the plan. It remains to be seen how this company will achieve it.
AshBabu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 13:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

http://www.thehindu.com/business/Ind...?homepage=true

With lots of stock money (basically who knows whose money), hopefully younger entrepreneurs will invest in greener vehicles more.
Old 3rd December 2014, 14:16   #29
BHPian

Supposedly the parent company, Golden Arrow Wireless is at least a Pvt Ltd company registered with ROC - Ahmedabad. Incorporated in 2006, has 2 directors.

https://www.zauba.com/company/GOLDEN...J2006PTC048734

It doesn't mean their claims are true or that they are genuine, just an additional bit of information
Old 3rd December 2014, 17:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Supposedly the parent company, Golden Arrow Wireless is at least a Pvt Ltd company registered with ROC - Ahmedabad. Incorporated in 2006, has 2 directors.

https://www.zauba.com/company/GOLDEN...J2006PTC048734

It doesn't mean their claims are true or that they are genuine, just an additional bit of information
It also says capitalized at 1 lakh, with the registered address being a flat in an apartment building in the ellis bridge area.

This one claims they have acquired 200 acres near Raipur for a plant.

http://www.projectstoday.com/news/go...r-cars-project

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks