Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2014, 13:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

The curious case of Gujarat's 'green sportscar'

Ahmedabad based Golden Arrow Wireless Pvt Ltd showcased an electric sportscar prototype at the Auto Show Gujarat 2014. Named the Supernova Electric Vehicle (SNEV), the production plans for the green car are already in progress. According to Shashi Vyas, founder of Golden Arrow Wireless, the company has signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the Madhya Pradesh government to set up a manufacturing plant.

Vyas stated that the car will be offered with a choice of 3 batteries- lead acid, lithium ion and super-capacitors. The lead acid battery supposedly has a charge time of 8 hours. The lithium ion batteries and super capacitors have a claimed charge time of 2 hours & under 5 minutes respectively. The car is said to have been developed at the company's plant in Aslali, Ahmedabad. The SNEV can hit a claimed top speed of 150 km/h. However, the brow raiser was the tall claim of a 1000 km range.

The claimed charge time for some of the battery types and stated range would make the SNEV almost as convenient to run as a regular petrol car. This is exactly why it is hard to believe these statements would hold true in the real world.

The Tesla Model S for example needs 20 minutes to provide a 50% charge through its high speed supercharging stations. The claimed range for the Model S is 275 miles (Around 440 kms) at a speed of 65 mph (105 km/h). This begs the question "At what speed does the SNEV have to be driven to achieve the 1000 kms range?" The prototypes themselves appear to be rather crudely made with an ample number of panel gaps and inconsistencies throughout the bodywork. This also raises questions on whether the final product will be safe to drive. The showcased vehicles may have been prototypes, but they do not give the impression of a sportscar that is anywhere near ready for mass production.

Vyas added that the company wants to set up production facilities in Raipur, Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Gujarat. Golden Arrow has supposedly raised Rs 500 crore from investors for the project & will require around Rs 2500 crore to set up the manufacturing facilities. Vyas also stated that the SNEV has accrued 250 bookings & deliveries can begin at the end of 2015 if the ARAI approval goes through.

Currently, the Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) does not have any set guidelines for electric sportscars. The ARAI is in talks with the centre to set up the framework for such vehicles. Once on sale the SNEV could be priced between Rs 15-25 Lakh.

Looking for an Indian Sportscar? Take a look at the DC Avanti

Images courtesy: The Brunei Times

The curious case of Gujarat's 'green sportscar'-articlesindiaeconomyauto_14112900085182.transformed.jpg

The curious case of Gujarat's 'green sportscar'-articlesindiaeconomyauto_14112900085207.transformed.jpg

The curious case of Gujarat's 'green sportscar'-articlesindiaeconomyauto_14112900085158.transformed.jpg

Last edited by Tushar : 1st December 2014 at 13:21.
Tushar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 13:18   #2
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The curious case of Gujarat's 'green sportscar'

?? Wow figures wise those are excellent numbers that would make it the no 1 electric in the world. Unrealistic to expect a small unit to have achieved these. Right now they may at best have lead acid or possibly li-on options and the speed and charge time figures may be future projections. Possibly aiming at being bought out like the Reva.

Electric car technology is quite separate from what is needed to actually make cars. Can't envisage this company having the car making knowledge.

Last edited by ACM : 1st December 2014 at 13:20.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 13:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am taking this with a ton of Salt.
The company doesn't even have a website, no credentials listed.

I would definitely be interested in knowing who are their investors and where is their plant located?
speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 13:59   #4
BHPian

Based on technical details these two looks superb. The running cost is so minimal that even spending 20 odd lakhs is fine, considering that its a coupe. But the biggest flaw that I see is the design which looks quite dated. Both of them looks like concepts from the 80's and 90's. Anyway lets hope for the best. And if the car can meet the company's tall claims then we can see the first sucessful EV in India.
Old 1st December 2014, 14:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

The wheels seem to be the heaviest part in the car (other the an Person) !. Should have used a some car's body shell to start at least.

Would be interested to know the power storage/delivery specs for the different kinds of storage. How long would a super capacitor deliver power? (power density).
Old 1st December 2014, 14:50   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Looks like a jugaad from a local garage, making tall claims like Ramar Pillai .

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
The company doesn't even have a website
Look at the url on the side of the car : company website. Read it when you're in the mood for some jokes.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 14:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think car-making should be left to big players. Otherwise, the end result appears tacky, crude and dated-looking. As though put together in a roadside garage. I do appreciate his efforts but I doubt there will be many buyers for a 90s looking car. A hatch may be, but a sportcar? I don't think so.
Old 1st December 2014, 16:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Look at the url on the side of the car : company website. Read it when you're in the mood for some jokes.
Oops, I missed that link. I was searching for Golden Arrow Wireless Pvt Ltd.

Nothing but another scam in the making.
The features and specifications has some funny specs and the body is biodegradable

Actual quote from the website

" Body: Full Fibre Glass body with mesh. Soon to biodegradable"

speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 17:04   #9
BHPian

The website is too hilarious!!

Actual quote from website-

"Several layers of redundant safety and protection systems"

Redundant, really?!
Redundant hai to lagaya kyun?!
Old 1st December 2014, 17:11   #10
BHPian

The car has UK plates.

The curious case of Gujarat's 'green sportscar'-snev.jpg
mikem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 18:16   #11
BHPian

In this day and age, funny to see such creations being celebrated. If this was made by some individual in a a garage in the 1980s, then ok, appreciate the effort. Create HYPE and even a donkey will pass for a supercar in this country. Lame. I mean the wheel arches are not even perfectly circular, for crying out loud. An autorickshaw had better biuld 20 years ago.
Old 1st December 2014, 18:54   #12
BHPian

'Some say' that these guys were way ahead of their time. They began designing EV sports cars in the 1970s, even before the big auto manufacturers could grasp such a futuristic concept. Since all their efforts were focused on fine-tuning the car, they unaware of the Internet until quite recently. This totally explains the dated looks of the car and website, doesn't it? Anyhow, I have already sent my initial booking amount to them via PayPal and await delivery of my electric supercar.

Just like how our ancestors had designed airplanes few millennia ago in the Ramayana (i.e. pushpaka-vimana) way before the Wright brothers, the SNEV is just another fine example of Indian innovation.

P.S. This post is not meant to disparage Indian innovation, but a rant to convey the fact that just putting a sticker saying "sports car" doesn't necessarily make it one.
ashwin489 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 19:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
Just like how our ancestors had designed airplanes few millennia ago in the Ramayana (i.e. pushpaka-vimana) way before the Wright brothers, the SNEV is just another fine example of Indian innovation.

Well, you are entering dangerous territory here. And considering that the innovators proudly exhort "Made in Gujarat", I am sure they have strong backing for this "project".
civic-sense is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 20:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
The website is too hilarious!!

Actual quote from website-

"Several layers of redundant safety and protection systems"

Redundant, really?!
Redundant hai to lagaya kyun?!
Nothing wrong in that. Redundant systems are in place to seamlessly transition if the main one fails. Standard practice in electronics.

Other than the car shell etc, hopefully the drive train and all is pretty sophisticated. They have wishbones both front and back. Someone should test drive these and they should come out with the details. Not sure what is hidden by not doing it !

Last edited by srishiva : 1st December 2014 at 20:48.
Old 1st December 2014, 21:17   #15
BHPian

This was hilarious, thanks to whoever found this joke. Wont be surprised if there are some gullible types who end up 'investing' in this & some more who pay a Paypal advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks