Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2015, 00:03   #46
BHPian

Guys,Last month i got a shock when i noticed my two year old Duster has already started rusting.My third service was due so raised this issue with A.S.S. They took pictures of the vehicle & told me that they would send these pictures to higher authorities for approval & it would take 15 days for approval.

Yesterday i called up SA to follow up.He said i need to leave vehicle for atleast 3 days.I have not been told yet what they would be doing.Rust has started showing up on passanger side front beeding attached to the body near the roof & under the bonnet beneath the rubber close to the side fender.i am yet to inspect the vehicle other myself which i will do before giving it to the service centre.

I am worried as i have never expected this from vehicle which cost more than a million rupees.My concern is what areas i must be checking before giving it to service center.I will take pictures of the vehicle & will upload them here.By the time please advise me what should be kept in mind or anything i am missing out which needs to be done.My only hope is i am not alone in all this crap.But i have very meagre hope from our country's lousy recall policy. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd January 2015 at 05:30. Reason: Para space added
Old 2nd January 2015, 04:48   #47
Team-BHP Support

Re: India-built Duster gets recalled in UK for corrosion/rust issues. No recall in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
He said i need to leave vehicle for atleast 3 days.I have not been told yet what they would be doing.
Ask from any guy on the service floor whom you are friendly with. If you do live nearby or can keep a watch as to what goes on, well and good.

Delhi has dry weather and even then, rust is catching, there has to be an issue with the car [supplier/vendor/manufacturing process]

I would have lauded Renault/Nissan had they recalled their Duster/Terrano in batches and replaced critical parts which are rusting. Few pictures are downright scary.
Old 2nd January 2015, 06:55   #48
Senior - BHPian

Re: India-built Duster gets recalled in UK for corrosion/rust issues. No recall in India?

It may be recalled that several Dusters were inundated at Kochi during 2012 monsoon season when a dam was opened to let out water. The Renault stockyard which was on the bank of a river got submerged in water. This was exactly two years back, in 2012. Kochi Bhpian Mr Naveen had posted a picture of this in some related thread. When I was on the look out for a car, I got an opportunity to interact with a dealer person and was told that these cars were sent back to the factory. Doe this got any link with the issue?

Last edited by rajeev k : 2nd January 2015 at 06:57.
Old 3rd January 2015, 08:52   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
It may be recalled that several Dusters were inundated at Kochi during 2012 monsoon season when a dam was opened to let out water. The Renault stockyard which was on the bank of a river got submerged in water. This was exactly two years back, in 2012. Kochi Bhpian Mr Naveen had posted a picture of this in some related thread. When I was on the look out for a car, I got an opportunity to interact with a dealer person and was told that these cars were sent back to the factory. Doe this got any link with the issue?
Rajeev - even the new cars like the 2014 made AWD versions are also rusting. This is extremely disappointing considering the price of duster
Old 4th January 2015, 12:02   #50
BHPian

Guys,an update on rust issue.
The problem is mainly with the Beeding attached to the body, behind doors.
Its mainly with white colour.
Getting my vehicle back on monday.
Lets see what would be the outcome.
Attached Thumbnails
India-built Duster gets recalled in UK for corrosion/rust issues. No recall in India?-img20150103wa0003.jpg  

India-built Duster gets recalled in UK for corrosion/rust issues. No recall in India?-img20150103wa0004.jpg  

India-built Duster gets recalled in UK for corrosion/rust issues. No recall in India?-img20150103wa0007.jpg  

h.s.r is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 18:24   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

h.s.r. this looks like serious stuff and not merely paint bubbling. In my humble opinion, this needs complete removal of paint and undercoat followed by re-application on the affected areas.

Please keep us posted!!!
Old 4th January 2015, 18:49   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
Guys,an update on rust issue.
The problem is mainly with the Beeding attached to the body, behind doors.
Looks like the rust has eaten into the parent material . Re-painting will not solve the issue.
Old 11th January 2015, 15:49   #53

I find Duster cars do not have rubber beading on door contours from inside. Rather, it has a thick rubber beading on the body of car, where the inner outline of door touches. This leaves a big space of door outline and body surface exposed to air and moisture. Every now and then I find a thick layer of dust getting accumulated in this gap. I was checking if I can put an additional rubber beading on door for better insulation but didn't succeed to get any which fits here.Could it be a reason of rust formation here due to bad insulation at the doors?
Old 19th January 2015, 11:25   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by anexas06 View Post
Here's mine.

Original post at: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3607543

Have emailed Renault Customer Care. Let's see what they have to say.
Sorry for the delayed post. Family matters needed attention.

Well this is the reply I got after I sent them the pictures (an SA had called prior to this email with the same explanation) -

Dear Sir
With reference of your concern regarding the rusting on spindle/drive shaft/wheel hub/disk brake we check your concern in details and confirming you that all concern parts are casted ( Cast Iron ) so rust will never result to deformation and will never effect the performance of above mention parts.

With Warm Regards,

Monika Sethi
Customer Relationship Manager
Renault Delhi West,
(Unit Of Divine Autotech P Ltd),
16 Rama Road,
New Delhi - 110015,
Mobile: +91 –8588814686

It would be prudent to add that where I live the water is very hard and generally rust sets in much faster.

Still plan to have it checked at the service center on my next visit.
Old 19th January 2015, 13:44   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anexas06 View Post
Sorry for the delayed post. Family matters needed attention.

Well this is the reply I got after I sent them the pictures (an SA had called prior to this email with the same explanation) -

Dear Sir
With reference of your concern regarding the rusting on spindle/drive shaft/wheel hub/disk brake we check your concern in details and confirming you that all concern parts are casted ( Cast Iron ) so rust will never result to deformation and will never effect the performance of above mention parts.

With Warm Regards,

Monika Sethi
Customer Relationship Manager
Renault Delhi West,
(Unit Of Divine Autotech P Ltd),
16 Rama Road,
New Delhi - 110015,
Mobile: +91 –8588814686

It would be prudent to add that where I live the water is very hard and generally rust sets in much faster.

Still plan to have it checked at the service center on my next visit.
No offense to anyone, but a lady responding from an outsourced dealership! I wouldn't put my bucks there!
Need to let highers ups in Renault get notice of this and direct reply from them.

It reminds me of olden days Ambassador and Padmini

Last edited by devrajman : 19th January 2015 at 13:45.
Old 19th January 2015, 14:03   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
No offense to anyone, but a lady responding from an outsourced dealership! I wouldn't put my bucks there!
Need to let highers ups in Renault get notice of this and direct reply from them.

It reminds me of olden days Ambassador and Padmini
Any idea who? For what its worth I think it should be raised collectively; maybe by one of the Mods or somebody who probably has prior experience in such situations, to Renault for the benefit of everyone facing these problems.
Old 28th May 2015, 18:20   #57
BHPian

okay Folks, not directly related to this topic or maybe related if you can define what this chunk of loose, rusting cast iron is doing under the driver's side headlight; the headlight and front of the car is to the right. I saw a report of this in the Dacia Duster UK forum; mine is a 5 month old AWD, 110PS, RXZ variant
Attached Thumbnails
India-built Duster gets recalled in UK for corrosion/rust issues. No recall in India?-image.jpg  

Old 31st May 2015, 12:12   #58

Hi epijay, Looks like this plate is also made of cast iron. I checked my Duster engine compartment and can't find this iron plate. It seems for AWD variant, the engine bay has different positioning of components.
Old 15th May 2018, 18:42   #59
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epijay View Post
okay Folks, not directly related to this topic or maybe related if you can define what this chunk of loose, rusting cast iron is doing under the driver's side headlight; the headlight and front of the car is to the right. I saw a report of this in the Dacia Duster UK forum; mine is a 5 month old AWD, 110PS, RXZ variant
Saw this in my car as well a few days ago (also an AWD). I first thought it was some left over paint repair from a minor shunt, but then realized it might be a mass dampener. Its only on one side and its bulk suggests towards a dampening function. Thease are used for dampening out NVH from the chassis by their strategic placement throughout the chassis.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks