Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2015, 19:57   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Unauthorized IND plates declared illegal in Tamil Nadu. Crackdown begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
More interestingly, will these cops be able to decipher a genuine HSRP issued in another state?
It is easy (if you look closely) There are some alphabets & numbers written on the no plate and that doesn't appear printed by the IND ink machine, but otherwise.

How much is the challan for HSRP over there? I have seen variation in amount. In Bihar, we pay Rs. 335 for 4 wheelers, for 2 wheels it is between Rs 130 & 150, can't recall the exact figure. Heard it is much expensive in NE States.
Old 6th February 2015, 20:05   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How much is the challan for HSRP over there? I have seen variation in amount. In Bihar, we pay Rs. 335 for 4 wheelers, for 2 wheels it is between Rs 130 & 150, can't recall the exact figure. Heard it is much expensive in NE States.
Rs. 1147 in Nagaland, 1322 in Manipur and 2047 in Sikkim for LMV/4-wheelers!

Source: MORTH
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 22:39   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
It is easy (if you look closely) There are some alphabets & numbers written on the no plate and that doesn't appear printed by the IND ink machine, but otherwise.

Here it is 619 rupees for cars. Although they say 620 without batting an eyelid. So at 5000 cars everyday they are collecting 5k unaccounted everyday.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 00:20   #19
BHPian

Below is what I found in the Government Of Tamil Nadu State Transport Authority website:

1. The Government of India amended the Central Motor Vehicles Rules in 2001 making it mandatory to fix High Security Registration Number Plates in the front and rear side of all Motor Vehicles. This was done mainly to discourage criminals to change/alter the number plates of the vehicles that are used for committing crimes. A HSRP cannot be removed and re-used. It has a unique snap lock which ensures that the number plate is destroyed automatically, when it is tampered with or forcibly removed.

2. These Number Plates can be fitted only in Government approved Workshops. As a safety measure, they have reflective sheeting and are visible over a relatively long distance.

3. The Government of Tamil Nadu has decided to implement the project. The modalities are being worked out. The existing vehicles have been given two years' time to fix HSRPs.

Note the third point - There is no specific timeframe commitment given for the implementation of the HSRP. I wonder what would happen if I take my car with non HSRP compliant number plate to a state where HSRP is already implemented. Can I get away with saying that "my state is still working on the modalities"?
Old 7th February 2015, 11:28   #20
BHPian

Well, I got stopped today for driving with "Illegal Plates". I had to pay a fine of Rs.100. I guess I will have to cover the IND area with a white sticker.

Regards,
Amit
Old 7th February 2015, 14:16   #21
BHPian

Saw the drive on in vigor in Coimbatore, time for some emery paper and touch up paint.

Hoping that sense prevails and this misguided zeal dies down soon.
Old 7th February 2015, 15:35   #22
BHPian

The authorities concerned should first crack down the vehicles running with number plates in regional language. In a city like Bangalore , this is so common and can be noted on official vehicles including Police , KSRTC etc.. These type of number plates can be spotted on auto rickshaws, Cabs ,trucks with illegal amount of loads of
granite, stones , sand , water, rubble and what not! They drive like they rule and majority would not understand or read these number plates
decode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 17:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitKumarVinay View Post
Well, I got stopped today for driving with "Illegal Plates". I had to pay a fine of Rs.100. I guess I will have to cover the IND area with a white sticker.

Regards,
Amit
Help me understand this right - regular plain white number plates are OK, HSRP ones are okay, but IND number plates which look like HSRP but are not - those are illegal.

Correct?

Makes little sense, but if that's what the government is doing, then that's what one has got to obey.
Old 7th February 2015, 17:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Help me understand this right - regular plain white number plates are OK, HSRP ones are okay, but IND number plates which look like HSRP but are not - those are illegal.
Maybe the agencies authorized to produce/fix the IND plates were annoyed that they are being robbed of work by the identical plates being churned out by non-authorized agencies.
batterylow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 17:50   #25
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 9th February 2015 at 15:35.
Thebat is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th February 2015, 20:09   #26
BHPian

I was flagged down or torched down on the highway near Salem, I was coming back to Bangalore from Kerala. I made my point of driving the car with the same plates for the last four years but to no avail. The zest of the TN cops was only highway robbery. They were flagging down only out of state vehicles, on the day the so called judgement was passed. I am sure the court would have given a time frame for compliance. I questioned the highway robbers their motive of not letting drivers know about the rule when they enter the state at the borders, for this his reply was I should not enter TN with a KA vehicle. Finally felt that Rs.100 with all my curses was not worth wasting anymore time. Paid up and drove out of TN.
AJITHAAA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 20:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
a emery paper + paint job with a micro brush should do the job.
The only downside is that the whole letters look off-center of the plate, when the IND is replaced by white space :(

Anyway that is better than wasting money and time, being challaned for an IND sticker.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 20:26   #28
BHPian

Last week I was driving my car , a KL registered POLO from Palakad to Pollachi. Immediately after I crossed to TN I was signalled to stop at the first police check post. They asked if my IND number plate was issued by RTO, I said No. They said I will have to pay a fine and after some talk I ended up paying Rs. 100. Then I thought they were quoting some reason for taking money, now it seems the court has given police another idea for squeezing vehicle owners. Now I will cover the IND part of my number plate.

Last edited by GTO : 9th February 2015 at 15:25. Reason: Typos
rahulrajeev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 16:26   #29
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I don't understand the purpose of these high security plates.. Do they prevent a car from getting stolen & sold by thieves? How is a HSRP better than a normal plate? I really don't know...
Old 8th February 2015, 17:06   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Here in BLR, ToI reports that cops have raided NK Impex who are the leading suppliers for such duplicate plates. No word about targeting vehicle owners yet. Thinking of covering my IND sticker with a white label today.

http://m.timesofindia.com/city/benga...w/46160494.cms

Last edited by itwasntme : 8th February 2015 at 17:07. Reason: Spelling
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed