Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2015, 08:16   #1
BHPian

Honda India: Extended Warranties available up to 7 years / 100,000 kms!

Guys, I've a Jan 2010 Honda City VAT model which is the previous one to the current model. I got a message from my dealer in Hyderabad that I can opt for extended warranty for my car. My car completed 5 years in Jan 2015 and is now into 6th year. My car did 45k km only.

When enquired, the person from the dealer informed me that Honda is offering extended warranty to those vehicles which are less than 7 years old or done less than 1 lakh km. He also informed that the ext. warranty for my car for 6th year would cost 10.9k and when in 7th year, I can opt for 7th year also again. He informed that this is from Honda. All the terms will be same as the ext. warranty which is applicable after 2 years of std. warranty. Anyone got such offer. Any updates on this are welcome.

Mods : Please move to appropriate thread if not relevant here. Thanks.
vvrchandra is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 11:21   #2
BHPian

re: Honda India: Extended Warranties available up to 7 years / 100,000 kms!

11k for 1 extra year warranty is too much, not worth it for a 5 year old Honda. IMHO, it's too expensive.

Last edited by GTO : 12th February 2015 at 15:14. Reason: Typo
Old 12th February 2015, 11:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

While it is a good move by Honda to repose faith in their product, we need to find out if shocks, ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, etc are covered under EW. If not, I don't think it is worthwhile.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 15:21   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
When enquired, the person from the dealer informed me that Honda is offering extended warranty to those vehicles which are less than 7 years old or done less than 1 lakh km.
Hmmm, learn something new every day. I initially thought the dealer is palming off some 3rd-party warranty to you, but I was wrong.

Fact is, Honda does offer extended warranties up to 100,000 kms / 7 years! It's call Honda Any Time Warranty. Also transferable to the next owner of the car. Uniquely, you can also buy it after your warranty has expired! Must say, mighty impressed with these policies.

Source

Quote:
Any time Warranty is a unique program and introduced first time in Indian Automotive Industry. This program gives you a coverage of "1 Year / 20,000 Kms". You can opt this program till 7 Years / 1,00,000 Kms from new vehicle sale date. The best part of this program is that you can opt this program even after expiry of Standard Warranty / Extended Warranty.

Under the Any Time Warranty the dealer will repair or replace any part which proves to be defective within the limits of warranty at no charges to the customer for parts and labor.
Honda India: Extended Warranties available up to 7 years / 100,000 kms!-capture.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
11k for 1 extra year warranty is too much, not worth it for a 5 year old Honda. IMHO, it's too expensive.
The probability of a part failing in the 6th year is a lot higher than in the 3rd year. I'm a believer of extended warranties and always take the maximum coverage available.

Related Thread: Link
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 15:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda India: Extended Warranties available up to 7 years / 100,000 kms!

Excellent step from Honda. Has this been introduced recently or was it in place from some time? I wonder how that makes customers feel who had to pay from there pockets for parts failing outside the standard warranty till now.

Also how much transparent will Honda be in honoring warranty for a 5+ year old car? The servicing schedules might not be followed to the book during such a long ownership period. Also the usual excuses of wear and tear will be accentuated in such cases. The dealership margins will also automatically go down if more and more parts are replaced under warranty.
Old 12th February 2015, 18:14   #6
BHPian

I have availed of Honda's Any Time warranty for my Civic, which has done 82K and is 5.5 years old.

Cost me 14.5K incl tax. Valid for 20,000 kms or 1 year, whichever is earlier. Suspension, mechanical wear and tear and replacement components not covered. Terms and coverage same as regular extended warranty.
Should be able to renew it again next year, if I don't cross 100,000 Kms till then.

At the time of entrance or renewal of this warranty, the car should not have crossed 100K kms or be more than 7 years old.

Took it for peace of mind, in case some costly electronics, including the ECM, Instrument Cluster, HVAC controls, electric motors and most importantly Automatic transmission go kaput.

These components can be criminally expensive and some of them may be difficult to source in the aftermarket shops.

Its expensive, but i would still go with an extended warranty as long as it is available.

rgds
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 21:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Also how much transparent will Honda be in honoring warranty for a 5+ year old car? The servicing schedules might not be followed to the book during such a long ownership period.
I had the same question. When I looked at the price list, there are two categories of customers. On category is - warranty in continuation & Service record OK, and the other is - Warranty Expired or Improper Svc records.

I don't know how this will work, as they are offering warranty even if your service records are not up to date.
Old 12th February 2015, 21:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

I received a quote last week. 7K, I felt was too high for a year. If it was for 2 years/20K kms, would have opted for it. I am not expecting to run more than 8-10K kms annually
Old 12th February 2015, 23:08   #9
Team-BHP Support

A very welcome move from Honda India IMO. Not only are they providing extended warranty for till 7 years, but there is also an option for owners without existing warranty coverage to join back in- at a higher premium of course.

This is previously unheard of in the Indian market, and I guess we should totally welcome this move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post

Extended warranty is an insurance policy negotiated for the owners by the parent company. The companies generally aim for a win-win situation were the owners, the parent company and the insurers are all happy with the deal. Owners get peace of mind, parent company gets the associated goodwill and the insurer will get monetary benefits similar to any other services provided.

Obviously - the coverage for the 6th and 7th year will cost more because there is a higher chance of failure and liability for the insurance company.

Among other things- even the resale value might get a slight raise as even 6 year old cars can be sold with extended warranty coverage now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Also how much transparent will Honda be in honoring warranty for a 5+ year old car? The servicing schedules might not be followed to the book during such a long ownership period. Also the usual excuses of wear and tear will be accentuated in such cases. The dealership margins will also automatically go down if more and more parts are replaced under warranty.
Honda is anyways quoting higher margins for extended warranty incase the owners doesn't have proper records. They might need to stick to the recommended schedules and services once the coverage period starts.

Extended warranty doesn't eat into dealership margins. And as mentioned above- the terms and conditions seem to be same as that of the regular extended warranty offered earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_stripes View Post

I don't know how this will work, as they are offering warranty even if your service records are not up to date.

I feel they might ask for a proper paid service to be done prior to the application of extended warranty to ensure the car is upto standards. The customer might need to stick to recommended schedules and intervals henceforth.
Old 13th February 2015, 02:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

I love Honda. The 7 year/100000 warranty covers your engine, transmission and power train in the US. Hope its the same there.

Engine
- Cylinder block, heads, all internal lubricated parts, flywheel, manifolds, oil pan, oil pump, timing belt if failure, cover and tension-er, valve train, water pump, engine mounts, seals and gaskets.

Transmission
- Transmission, transaxle, transfer, differential case and all internal parts; Seals and gaskets, torque converter transmission mounts, clutch master cylinder; slave cylinder, shift cable, seals and gaskets.

Drive system
- Axle shaft, propeller shafts, gears and internal parts, drive shaft, wheel bearings, retainers, universal and CV joints, rear axle hub and bearings, seals and gaskets.

Hyundai does this for 10 years i think.

The best part about honda is when you get certified you are still covered for this 7 years and 100000 mile plus a 1 year warranty on safety restraint system, fuel system, suspension and steering, brakes except the pads, electrical and sensors(everything and anything) doors and switches, heating, cooling and air conditioner, audio/video and navigational devices, fluids/oils and tear down time.
Old 13th February 2015, 13:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
I have availed of Honda's Any Time warranty for my Civic, which has done 82K and is 5.5 years old.

Cost me 14.5K incl tax. Valid for 20,000 kms or 1 year, whichever is earlier. Suspension, mechanical wear and tear and replacement components not covered.
I have two issues with this:
1. Who decides if a damage is mechanical wear/tear and on what basis. Especially after 4 years, any damage could be attributed to mechanical wear and tear. It is unlikely that a manufacturing defect surfaces after 4 years. So I am skeptical that any damage could be classified as "mechanical wear and tear" and the warranty claim rejected.
2. Honda has a ludicrous service schedule. Once in three months! I hate to go to them every three months just for a shoddy wash job, and letting them try to push unnecessary jobs (AC cleaning, Engine Protection etc.) on me. I have been taking my car in once in 6 months (though my car runs only 5-6K kms per year). If I do not stick to their "once in 3 months" schedule, they will most probably reject any warranty claim.

My 4 year warranty on the City expires this Aug. I don't plan to renew because of the above two concerns.
Bh.P is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 13:16   #12
BHPian

This offering of extended warranty has made me consider Honda for the first time. I might go in for a Honda for my second car.
Old 13th February 2015, 14:04   #13
BHPian

EXCELLENT move by Honda. They have, however belatedly, figured out how the India customer perceives and computes "value" for car ownership. This move will also lubricate their used vehicles market, where may potential buyers are wary of buying pre-owned Civics, Accords and CR-Vs- being wary of left high and dry.

More power to Honda !! Success seems to be stimulating the right brain-cells there :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
Honda has a ludicrous service schedule. Once in three months!
If I remember correctly from my Civic ownership days, that their official "service schedule" used to be 6 month/5000 Km whichever is earlier. However, the dealer (horrible Sundaram Honda- those days the sole dealer) used to push the 3 month thingie....they even found an innovative way to print the reminder in the service invoices as well. I thoroughly ignored them all and stuck to the official schedule- and a couple of parts were changed under warranty till the very end.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th February 2015 at 19:02. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 13th February 2015, 14:18   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
If I remember correctly from my Civic ownership days, that their official "service schedule" used to be 6 month/5000 Km whichever is earlier.
In my case, the service engineers tell me 6 month interval is ok for my usage pattern. However, the service center back office keeps calling me with a reminder every three months. I even sent an email to Honda checking on the recommended service interval. They confirmed via email that the recommendation is once in 3 months or 5000 kms, which ever is earlier.
It is purely a way to ensure their dealers are well fed via service revenues. This is Magnum Honda in Bangalore.
Old 13th February 2015, 14:31   #15
BHPian

Is AC gasket covered in extended warranty?

I have Honda Amaze whose AC gasket needs to be replaced due to an accident. Service Center suggested to claim the insurance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks