Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2006, 15:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
IMHO, the only company in India as of date that can seriously threaten Maruti in terms of numbers is TATA.

their Indica sales are growing each month, and with the imminent launch of the Dicor Indicas and Indigos, follwed by the JTD engined cars in 2007, this can only get better.

the future will be diesel and as of date, Maruti has only one serious potential contender- the Swift with the Fiat JTD engine.
ur absolutely right with the first part. but technology is a crucial factor where the tatas are way behind & that is where maruthi will always win. i do agree that tata will be 2nd only to maruthi.
Old 22nd August 2006, 16:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Accorsing to me by 2010 Maruti will be pushed down with respect to market share I guess right now MUL enjoys healthy 50+ % market share in india in couple of years if spark, tata's 1 lakh car launch go well and on time i am sure maruti has to struggle to push its car sales. thats the reason why company is giving big discounts from last 1 year. Their recent failure of few components manufacturing ( I heard this in couple of places not sure much about it ..) has lead to customers feel bad on products.. If MUL maintains quality very well it will be market leader else it will loose market share I feel. If tata improves quality and Hyundai pushes its sales and introduces new small cars i am sure they can over take MUL.

Ravi.
Old 22nd August 2006, 16:59   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

For as long as the Internal Combustion engine is viable in India, yes, Maruti will be the largest car co in India. It will be exactly akin to Hero Honda with majority sales coming from its entry-level/lower offerings. Maruti will never be a serious contender in the mid/higher segments.Period.
Old 22nd August 2006, 17:07   #19
mxx
BHPian

For many people who are graduating from 2 wheeler to 4 wheeler, M800 (or sometimes low end version of alto) are the choice. Now this is an area where maruti has no competition. This market belongs to maruti. And this makes up for a pretty good number of cars sold by maruti.
Old 22nd August 2006, 17:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx
For many people who are graduating from 2 wheeler to 4 wheeler, M800 (or sometimes low end version of alto) are the choice. Now this is an area where maruti has no competition. This market belongs to maruti. And this makes up for a pretty good number of cars sold by maruti.
exactly my point... and i for one do not beleive in the 1 lakh car concept. i mean it would be like a bike modified into a car or some sort like that, i feel. how could u get decent components to make a car for 1 lakh ???
Old 22nd August 2006, 17:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
As long as Maruti/Suzuki can provide cheap, reliable, fuel efficient and excellent after sales service, they have nothing to worry about.
Only Hyundai can compete with them. Toyota & Honda are still targeting their cars as luxury brands. It is hard to compete with Maruti's 20 years base in India.
Are we ignoring the OEM here? (apart from reliable, fuel efficient and excellent after sales service). Would like to bring out the importance of OEM.

Maruti & TATA now have an army of OEM with them. We need to look at who builds and carries an OEM team in the long term.

A car being the sum of many (OEM) parts, only those manufacturers will dominate who build their strategy accordingly.
Old 22nd August 2006, 19:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Maruti's target segment is first time car buyers, a lot of them upgrading from their two wheelers. That segment is price sensitve. For that matter, whole indian market is that way but entry level segment especially more so. Margins are wafer thin.

Maruti will continue to have largest Market share in terms of number of units shipped. The question is, what happens from revenue and profit perspective.

After reading this thread, I tried to get some revenue and profit data for the last five years for various companies. I wasn't very successful. I must admit, I have done exhaustive search yet. Any ideas how to get that data ?
Old 22nd August 2006, 20:19   #23
BHPian

Maruti will have to quickly position an answer to the 1 lakh offering from Tata. Otherwise, its entry level fiefdom is under serious threat
Old 23rd August 2006, 01:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon
Maruti will have to quickly position an answer to the 1 lakh offering from Tata. Otherwise, its entry level fiefdom is under serious threat
What is Tata offering for Rs.1L? A two seater? With Motorcycles costing close to this, I am not sure what they'll be able to offer for this price.
Old 23rd August 2006, 09:37   #25
BHPian

hi all there
]well i dont think that Maruti can stand that compitation of TATA for plan of Rs1L car. well its a diffrent thing that Maruti first aimed for that. and i sure that TATA can first fulfill that. Maruthi, it could not do that thier come ture in last 14years, will it now.????
But Yes, TATA can
Old 23rd August 2006, 11:05   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick.throttle
hi all there
]well i dont think that Maruti can stand that compitation of TATA for plan of Rs1L car. well its a diffrent thing that Maruti first aimed for that. and i sure that TATA can first fulfill that. Maruthi, it could not do that thier come ture in last 14years, will it now.????
But Yes, TATA can
Not sure about Tata 1L car's success but can say if Maruti plans to do this, it can do it far better than Tata. I still doubt capabilities of Telco's engineers. They are yet to come with a reliable car. Even if Maruti plans and launches a car after one year of launch of Tata's 1L car, it can beat Tata all the way. Maruti's trust can't be taken out of Indian souls.
Old 23rd August 2006, 11:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeis
Not sure about Tata 1L car's success but can say if Maruti plans to do this, it can do it far better than Tata. I still doubt capabilities of Telco's engineers. They are yet to come with a reliable car. Even if Maruti plans and launches a car after one year of launch of Tata's 1L car, it can beat Tata all the way. Maruti's trust can't be taken out of Indian souls.
what could they make for 1L ?? a cabin on 4 wheels or is it going to be 3 as we see in Mr.Bean ?? probably throw in a hero honda engine, a steering, some springs & u got urself a car. TATAs, if & when they do come out with the 1 L car cannot affect Maruthi or any other car company in any way, cos this would not be saleable in urban india. if at all they make sales, that would be in the rural areas for the farmers et al.
Old 23rd August 2006, 12:03   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
what could they make for 1L ?? a cabin on 4 wheels or is it going to be 3 as we see in Mr.Bean ?? probably throw in a hero honda engine, a steering, some springs & u got urself a car.
But if we consider our desi Bajaj Auto RE or Vikram or any other three-wheeler, we will realize that they have a price range of 1.3-1.7L. It is not an easier task to come up with a 1L car as it seems.

Quote:
TATAs, if & when they do come out with the 1 L car cannot affect Maruthi or any other car company in any way, cos this would not be saleable in urban india. if at all they make sales, that would be in the rural areas for the farmers et al.
Point. I agree. In urban India, Tata's 1L car will hardly make any difference.
Old 23rd August 2006, 17:20   #29
BHPian

This thread is veering off topic..More on: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...iesel-car.html
Old 23rd August 2006, 17:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
IMHO, the only company in India as of date that can seriously threaten Maruti in terms of numbers is TATA.

their Indica sales are growing each month, and with the imminent launch of the Dicor Indicas and Indigos, follwed by the JTD engined cars in 2007, this can only get better.

the future will be diesel and as of date, Maruti has only one serious potential contender- the Swift with the Fiat JTD engine.
No , I think Its hyudai that can really take it on be it finance or product ..... or may be Toyota but I dont think they will have a sub 3lac car in their stable

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks