Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2006, 12:18   #31
BHPian

Guys,
Chevrolet Spark is just launched here in singapore.. May be they will plan the smae in India i would think.
Old 27th August 2006, 13:12   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
pretty good & sensible observation made.
the talk about honda or toyota competing with maruthi is only just a dream. these guys will not target the lower end of the indian market, which is really the bigger pie. in india, the masses are still economically very backward & even if the trend improves in the next 20 years, i cant imagine hondas & toyotas lining up with basic models like the alto or the 800.
Toyota Aygo may not be the most basic model or the bottom end of the mass sellers but neither is Santro which is selling around 11000 + units a month .... If aygo gets its marketing right I think Maruti/Hyundai has a reason to worry and not to mention 2008 launch of Spark.
Old 27th August 2006, 13:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

"Toyota Motor Corporation is planning to enter the small car segment in India , but has not yet finalised its plans . How ever with the aim of reaching a 10% market share by 2010 , its small car is likely to hit the Indian roads within the next 2 or 3 years . "
The Hindu August 24 -
That should cause for some sweat to Hyundai Santro / soon to be launched Zen (Wagon R platform based ) .

Old 28th August 2006, 15:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp
Toyota Aygo may not be the most basic model or the bottom end of the mass sellers but neither is Santro which is selling around 11000 + units a month .... If aygo gets its marketing right I think Maruti/Hyundai has a reason to worry and not to mention 2008 launch of Spark.
the sub 3 lakh car is the one in question. will toyota price its Aygo under 4 lakhs at least, if they want to compete with santro or wagonr ?
Old 28th August 2006, 15:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

Maruti dominates only in the lower segment cars with its bread & butter models like 800, Alto, Wagon. It has only a fair presence in the B & C segments with Swift, Esteem and Baleno.
Old 31st August 2006, 11:41   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
exactly my point... and i for one do not beleive in the 1 lakh car concept. i mean it would be like a bike modified into a car or some sort like that, i feel. how could u get decent components to make a car for 1 lakh ???

also the car will only add to traffic congestion. A slow moving car in the front is a pain in office hrs....imagine a one lakh car driving at 20 - 30....
Old 31st August 2006, 12:26   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharu
also the car will only add to traffic congestion. A slow moving car in the front is a pain in office hrs....imagine a one lakh car driving at 20 - 30....
as if we dont have enough tortoises in our cities already. the share autos in chennai are the perfect prototype of the 1 lakh car. if anyone's been around in chennai, will know what i mean. they are just metal cages with a tata ace like engine & they stutter & sputter smoke all around & move so agonisingly slow.
Old 31st August 2006, 13:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

Right , very soon India too will need something like higher tax on 2nd vehicle or something of that sort to restrict people from buying more than whats needed. Another alternative is to speed up the pace at which infrastructure expansion is going on which is a very distant possiballity . If they fail to they will soon witness traffic congestion in many more cities which can very adversly affect a citiy's growth . For example Cochin right now is facing serious traffic problem near peak our and this was never the case say 2 years back. If Tata launches 1 lakh car , God save India .....!
Old 31st August 2006, 14:13   #39
BHPian

Maruti has some solid advantages. Service and dealer network. After sales service reputation. Cheap and readily available spares. The network contributes in raising numbers sold and the reputation and the price advantage helps maintain the feeling in the buyer that his decision to select Maruti was right. The competition has to improve on all three fronts to really push Maruti to number two.
The disadvantage of Maruti is in the diesel segment. They have never been successful here. Maybe the Fiat engine deal will further increase their advantage, but that is only conjecture. The only competition in the near future is from the Tatas. Their research on diesel engines is obvious now in the Turbo V2. And if the 1 lac car becomes reality, Maruti shall have to sit up and take notice. I am sure they are already thinking on those lines.
Old 1st September 2006, 10:23   #40
BHPian

[SIZE=2]ACI latest issue has information with picture about new Baleno expected to be launched by Mid 2008. Maruti seems to be gatting serious about changing its image of old aged models company completely.[/SIZE]
Old 1st September 2006, 11:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_pinkoo
[SIZE=2]ACI latest issue has information with picture about new Baleno expected to be launched by Mid 2008. Maruti seems to be gatting serious about changing its image of old aged models company completely.[/SIZE]
, after the launch of Wagon R , I trust Indian design house a lot ,a real awesome job on that Wagon R. I hope they atleast change the rear lights for the time being and may be a face lift in 2008 . Baleno is a car that's underestimated just like Hyundai Elantra both VFM's not doing really well as it should have actually.
Old 1st September 2006, 11:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

The Maruti baleno should have been changed a long time back...i mean face lift.i really dont see why that car being so awsome hasnt been paid much attention too by maruti.A Major face lift would blast the sales charts.
Old 1st September 2006, 12:08   #43
BHPian

just for information, there would not be only facelift of Beleno rather there would be new platform namely S4X as indicated in the magzine. it looks really good in the picture. It is said that MARUTI will bring that against NHC with alomost same price tag (sub 7 L) as current Baleno. Also they are planninf to rplace Esteem also after Baleno, means most fresh models company. (New Zen and Multiject Swift are already due by year end)

Last edited by vivek_pinkoo : 1st September 2006 at 12:16.
Old 1st September 2006, 20:11   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hope they dont kill that tag Baleno , It really deserved much more respect than whats been given right now. and I also hope they dont make it fugly like the new city .
Old 2nd September 2006, 16:18   #45
BHPian

as of today, from what i see, Hyundai has a very good hold in the market, and if next, only to Maruti, while Maruti being a dying kinda company in the indian market, with models as lousy as a rat! except the Swift , ofcoz!

While on the other hand, Hyundai has all things new, new Accent on its way, New Santro on its way, New Getz, New Sonata already here, New Elantra by end next year, and the all new SantaFe to be here soon too! so in all segments, Hyundai has captured the market right out.

and soon they are planning to even get the Tucson with the 2lt CRDiVGT 6 speed 140bhp engine!

Toyotas are getting a bad beating from Skoda and now Honda. Camry beaten by Accord and Laura, Corolla beaten by Octavia and Civic!

Honda sure could be THE market capturer if it starts its small car operations quick.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks