Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your A/C usage
yes, i use it almost 100 % in all seasons and it keeps my interiors clean 180 74.07%
yes, i use it only in summers 30% of the time on an average and when required like in rains 26 10.70%
Yes, only if people in the car demand it 13 5.35%
Yes, ocassionally when the heat is unbearable and it decreases fuel efficiency. 12 4.94%
No, It consumes a lot of fuel and decreases my fuel efficiency. 0 0%
Yes, Benefits of using A/C( clean air, clean interiors)) are more than not using the A/C( increased fuel efficiency) 80 32.92%
No, Benefits of using A/C( clean air, clean interiors)) are not more than not using the A/C( increased fuel efficiency) 1 0.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2006, 14:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Personally, i hate using the A/C. Only switch it on when the temp is unbearable or when passengers demand.

Shan2nu
Me too...Hate the AC, also hardly require AC in Bangalore city drives...we prefer the natural cool breeze...
but when on the highway in TN or AP, heat of afternoon, I definitely puton the AC !!!

Abhi
Old 23rd August 2006, 14:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd
Also if someone is smoking inside.
The foul smell from cig smoke lingers on inside the car. Also, results in ash dirtying the car, plus the danger of upholstery getting burnt. I don't smoke inside the car and don't allow others also. If me or anyone in the car wants to smoke, I am more than willing to pull over to the side.
Old 23rd August 2006, 14:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

I love to use A/C 100%, but on my Palio 1.2 I lose quite lot of power the moment I put on the A/C. So I switch it on, only when the Heat is unbearable, other times I just use the blower with all windows closed to avoid the dust & pollution of Bangaluru.
Old 23rd August 2006, 14:29   #19
BHPian

I use A/C 100 % of the time. Keeps out dust, noise and keeps me sane
Old 23rd August 2006, 14:47   #20

I personally hate ACs, but it's unavoidable in some cases like when you are stuck in traffic on a hot day, it's raining very heavily OR when I listen to some of my favourite, real good songs like November Rain - GNR, etc. I just want to cut myself off from the world. In Pune, I think one needs AC only in summer, while in Bombay it's mostly all year around.
Old 23rd August 2006, 15:00   #21
BHPian

I don't think there are many car that do not come with a factory fitted AC, but one of the main reason for me to buy an AC car was to use its benefit to the fullest.

# S***w the FE, its a small sacrifice to a whole lot of benefits
# Keeps the dust ,smoke, pollutants, noise out.
# keeps your the interiors factory fresh
# Keeps you cool in Summers and cool (not cold, even if you don't have a heater) in Winters too.
# Because of the UV protection that even an ordinary glass offers prevents the upholstry from fading.
# Prevents thefts of mobiles at Traffic signal. ( Snatch and run ) They do this when your car is parked very close to other vehicle and they are sure that you can't open your door to go after them.
# prevents beggars from harassing you at stop lights.
# lately. prevents a lot of garbage like Ad pamphlets being thrown into your car.

Just to think af all these benefits and probably many more that you enjoy with the AC ON deters me from not using the AC. Of the 34K that I have clocked so far 33.5 K ,(if not more) is with the AC working all the time. "Comfort" is a relative term, but for me its priceless.

So long....

Last edited by varunroy : 23rd August 2006 at 15:02.
Old 23rd August 2006, 15:39   #22
Team-BHP Support

I always keep the AC on. If its too cold, the AC is off(Delhi winters) but the windows are never down. Sure it hits the economy but a loss if 1.5kmpl or so in a diesel car does not pinch much. Infact once during a long overnight power cut I slept for some time in the car. Since it was in an open spce there was no danger of CO poisoning.
Old 23rd August 2006, 15:57   #23
BHPian

I use it 99 per cent. Only if wife or kids are feeling queasy on long rides, though generally they do not, is the a/c switched off. In Goa the humidity demands use of the a/c almost round the year. One can forget the a/c only on a few days in December/Jan. Also cannot listen to music with windows rolled down.
Old 23rd August 2006, 16:33   #24
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Policy is simple... keep windows up all the time.... and use a/c if required depending on weather.

Its not just about, interiors, music, pollution.... but after a 1 hr drive without a/c your face would be full of dust .. hair all straight pointing UP... your shirt is wet b'coz of sweat... and you say you are going to office like this?
Old 23rd August 2006, 17:24   #25
Senior - BHPian

Earlier:
AC used to be on 100% of the time, irrespective of day or night. Also, ICE used to be loud enough to drown traffic noise.

After Free Flow installation:
AC on only in the day and I try to avoid it if the night is pleasant enough. All this just so that I can hear the music of my exhaust
And oh .. obviously my ICE plays much softer too ..
Old 23rd August 2006, 17:40   #26
BHPian

I generally don't use the A/C except for when its absolutely unbearably hot...for one, in my car, if I have the AC on, the fuel gauge runs as quick as the speedo..in the wrong direction!

yeah, but if passengers demand, I do put it on... cos not too pleasant to have somebody complaining all through the drive...no?
Old 23rd August 2006, 17:51   #27
BHPian

Use A/C most of the time unless want a whiff of fresh air. Helps maintain my white shirts, too.
Old 23rd August 2006, 18:46   #28
BHPian

AC on around 80% of the time - mainly due to the heat, din, noise, and to enjoy Don Williams playing on my JBLs!

I love rolling down the windows when I am on those beautiful roads heading towards Sevoke or Mirik - really the foothills, with the most beautiful greenery.
Old 23rd August 2006, 19:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Actually, it's become sort of a reflex action, a routine, if you will. Get in the car, start the engine, let it idle for a minute for the oil to start flowing and allow the engine to warm up, roll up the windows, and switch on the A/C.

Obviously, I tend to use it 100%, as the difference in power/FE isn't significant at all while running w/o A/C.

Funnily enough, I almost never used to switch on the A/C my Safari, since it sapped a LOT of power. And I never felt the need for it.....but now...
Old 23rd August 2006, 21:50   #30
BHPian

Bangalore u do not need a/c all the time, I smoke so its windows down for me most of the time unless you pass through a construction or bad roads. I definitely use it 100% when I have my family with me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks