Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your A/C usage
yes, i use it almost 100 % in all seasons and it keeps my interiors clean 180 74.07%
yes, i use it only in summers 30% of the time on an average and when required like in rains 26 10.70%
Yes, only if people in the car demand it 13 5.35%
Yes, ocassionally when the heat is unbearable and it decreases fuel efficiency. 12 4.94%
No, It consumes a lot of fuel and decreases my fuel efficiency. 0 0%
Yes, Benefits of using A/C( clean air, clean interiors)) are more than not using the A/C( increased fuel efficiency) 80 32.92%
No, Benefits of using A/C( clean air, clean interiors)) are not more than not using the A/C( increased fuel efficiency) 1 0.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2006, 11:22   #1
BHPian

How much of A/C do you use in your cars and why!

Hi,

There are a lot of Team BHPians with cars ranging from the cheapest to the costliest and i reckon almost all of them have A/C( Air Conditioning).

Today i saw an octavia car whose interiors were looking dirty and it was not a taxi car. All the windows were down and obviously the outside dust and smoke had taken a toll on the interiors.

The first thing that came to my mind was that the owner was probably worried that the A/C usage directly proportional to reduced fuel efficiency and hence No A/C.

Do we as indians have a conservative mindeset in using A/C in our cars and do we feel it as a luxury.

How many of you drive your cars and use A/C sparingly/ or always and let me know whether the fuel efficiency ddetremines your A/C usage.

This is a multi choice question and you can chose 2 of them.

Last edited by muni : 23rd August 2006 at 11:31.
Old 23rd August 2006, 12:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

It also depends on owners' habits. e.g. smoker mostly may keep windows down. Also many people are more prone to car sickness with AC on. FE with AC on is more only in the city. On highway, with windows down it may actually reduce since open windows create lot more wind resistance.

Mostly AC will be used since difference in FE is hardly much when compared to other costs of running the car like interest, depreciation, driver, etc.
Old 23rd August 2006, 12:38   #3
BHPian

I use it 100%. In fact, I got rid of many allergies (temperature, dust & smoke) related problems when I switched to 100%.
Old 23rd August 2006, 13:05   #4

Ac For M800

Iam planning to get an AC installed for M800 is it okay for a second hand or a brand new one. Iam based at bangalore i would like to know the budget and also dealers info.
Thanks
Old 23rd August 2006, 13:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

what else we drive in a car. might take the scooter instead, if u r not using the ac.
Old 23rd August 2006, 13:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Personally, i hate using the A/C. Only switch it on when the temp is unbearable or when passengers demand.

Shan2nu
Old 23rd August 2006, 13:37   #7
Team-BHP Support

ICE sounds better with AC on so even when the climate does not demand it i drive with AC on or atleast the windows up.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2006, 13:41   #8
BHPian

drive with ac 100% on u dont feel tired and in mumbai traffic its a must i think with all the smoke emitted frm tempos etc..
Old 23rd August 2006, 13:42   #9
BHPian

I use AC always. Keeps interiors clean and the Mumbai road/street noise out.
Old 23rd August 2006, 13:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Personally, i hate using the A/C. Only switch it on when the temp is unbearable or when passengers demand.

Shan2nu
exactly.
i also opted for this option.
Yes, ocassionally when the heat is unbearable and it decreases fuel efficiency.
but i also misses the 100% power as soon as the comp kicks in.
Old 23rd August 2006, 13:49   #11
DRC
BHPian

I use it 100%, main reason is pollution and noise in Bangalore city. Its amazing how the noise and smoke is cut out the moment I roll up all the windows switch to AC.
Of couse at times, when on long drives in lush green areas like Malnad, I do roll them down to enjoy the closeness to nature.
Old 23rd August 2006, 13:55   #12
BHPian

AC is on 100% of the time. first reason being i like cold temperature & second being my wife's little allergic to dust & smoke.
Old 23rd August 2006, 13:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Use it 100% in my Baleno for the past 16 months since I bought it. This is after using a non-a/c M800 for 20 years. Apart from comfort, clean air and clean interiors, another plus point is that it cuts off the noise from outside, which can be pretty maddening inside the city.
And as far as seasons go, in Chennai, all we have is 3 seasons - hot, hotter and hottest.
Another advantage (during monsoons) of having the windows rolled up and a/c on, is that it avoids misting of the windscreen and provides clear vision. Also avoids slush from being splashed into the car (damaging the insides, roof upholstery etc) by other vehicles.
The FE might go down marginally, but I feel the benefits more than make up for that.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2006, 14:06   #14
BHPian

When the weather is nice and its not too polluted i turn the AC off. In Bombay this only happens late at night.

Also if someone is smoking inside.
Old 23rd August 2006, 14:06   #15
BHPian

Fuel efficiency is not my criteria to Use/not use AC the general comfort level is If the outside temp is 22deg I would never switch on the AC why? Because it is internationally accepted that the general ambient temp for humans to be comfortable is 23Deg above that AC should be on below that Heater should be on. To that direction the auto climatizers are a boon you do not have to bother to switch on / off the systems take cares of this for u

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks