Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2015, 20:56   #1
BHPian

New car used as a cab before delivery

Ever wondered what happens with your car before delivery?

So today around 6 PM, my father and I were on our way home from office. We spotted a brand new Swift (red colour) running on red plates (which gave a hint that its a showroom car) which was being driven pretty rashly, so I took a look inside the car while overtaking it. Now its pretty common in Gurgaon and other cities where drivers misuse private cars for petty gains, by giving rides to random people on the road for a petty amount. This is exactly what the Swift driver was doing.

Its very annoying to see such a practice being followed by these drivers, and I got really angry seeing it being done with a brand new car. So I decided to ask my father to follow him so that I can click some pictures of his "pick ups" and "drop offs" to show it to the owner of the car, since we had decided to follow him till the end.

We started trailing him and within minutes we reached the IFFCO chowk red light. The door opened and a person got out, paid the driver and went away. The car started moving again and stopped again after a while, some people got out of the car and some more got in, money was exchanged and fare was negotiated. This kept happening until we reached the Chattarpur red light, where the driver made everyone get off and drove into a Maruti Suzuki dealership parking lot (Rohan Motors Chattarpur).

I went inside the dealership to tell the dealer about what was happening with their new cars and met a salesperson named Pradeep. I told him what I had seen and he told me that the car was in transit from their storage facility to the dealership as it had to be delivered the next day . I asked him to make me meet their manager but he told me that the manager wasn't there, and when I asked him for the manager's number, he refused to share it with me. Since the salesperson wasn't interested in helping me (I was actually helping them) I just left the dealership and decided to share it here. I feel there is no better place to share the incident.

I'm attaching the pictures in the sequence as it happened. I couldn't click pictures every time he picked and dropped someone.

New car used as a cab before delivery-img_3301.jpg

New car used as a cab before delivery-img_3302.jpg

New car used as a cab before delivery-img_3305.jpg

New car used as a cab before delivery-img_3307.jpg

New car used as a cab before delivery-img_3308.jpg

New car used as a cab before delivery-img_3309.jpg

New car used as a cab before delivery-img_3310.jpg

New car used as a cab before delivery-img_3311.jpg

New car used as a cab before delivery-img_3315.jpg

New car used as a cab before delivery-img_3314.jpg

New car used as a cab before delivery-img_3318.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th May 2015 at 11:51.
Shivjeet is offline   (164) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2015, 21:02   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: New car used as a cab before delivery

This is ridiculous. I suggest you complain to Maruti. The dealer is as much at fault here for taking no action, as the driver.
Eddy is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2015, 21:39   #3
BHPian

It is a common sight in Mumbai to see to be delivered Thar Di's and Bolero pick up's ferrying people for money. So this is not something new, and it's not just one Thar. There will be a fleet of atleast 3-5 Thars or pick ups.

Last edited by GTO : 5th May 2015 at 09:42. Reason: corrected typo
dean5545 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2015, 21:46   #4
BHPian

This is absurd! I have to appreciate your efforts trying to inform the dealership about this. To think about it, a family will be happy tomorrow to bring home a *new* car. If I found out my *new* car was used for anything like this, I'd be very cross.

I second Eddy, please shoot a mail to MSIL and include a link to this thread.

Cheers!
Cartman
Cartman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2015, 21:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivjeet View Post
This is shocking and ridiculous on part of the dealer. Now that you published these snaps, I hope this gets noticed by Maruti and they take strict action against the dealer.

I am sure this practice would be prevalent in other cities as well and there would be No way for us to ascertain whether a car use misused. We have read so many instances where car left for servicing was misused.

There was this instance of Audi Q7 which was given for servicing at Audi Service Center, Mumbai was being driven and misused by that ASC.

If this can be done to a luxury car like Audi, misuse of Maruti car is no surprise.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-tracker.html
damager21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2015, 22:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
This is ridiculous. I suggest you complain to Maruti. The dealer is as much at fault here for taking no action, as the driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
I second Eddy, please shoot a mail to MSIL and include a link to this thread.

Cheers!
Cartman
Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
This is shocking and ridiculous on part of the dealer. Now that you published these snaps, I hope this gets noticed by Maruti and they take strict action against the dealer.
I have sent a mail to MSIL and included the link to this thread. Also copied Rohan Motors, who is the real culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
It is a common site in Mumbai to see to be delivered Thar Di's and Bolero pick up's ferrying people for money. So this is not something new and it's not just one Thar they will be a fleet of atleast 3-5 Thars or pick ups.
This really needs to stop, so I suggest you click pictures the next time you see it happening
Shivjeet is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 00:09   #7
BHPian

This is absolutely ridiculous. Given the response you got from the salesperson, it seems they also might be involved in this entire racket, and not just this particular driver. I shudder to think if this is how my car was treated before it was delivered to me.
Really appreciate your effort in following this guy and clicking the pictures as evidence, Shivjeet. I sincerely hope Maruti takes note of this and takes some strict action.
abhii176 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 00:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Running errands for the dealership or for the SE's personal work or utilizing as test cars is way too common everywhere using new cars with the red plates. But picking up fares with new cars by dealership personnel is rather, a new exposure.

Two weeks back I saw an accident involved new Polo with the red plates lying near Haripad on NH 47. These dealers then deliver these abused cars to poor unsuspecting buyers. Further they disconnect the speedometer sensors while using the new cars for such clandestine purposes.

It appears that the manufacturers are also hand in glove with the dealers, and turns a blind eye towards this racket.

Kudos for the excellent work in catching it red handed.

Last edited by rajeev k : 3rd May 2015 at 00:18.
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 00:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I second Eddy's opinion, MSIL takes consumer feedbacks / complaints very seriously, beyond our imagination.

Once a dealer in Pune crashed my 800 in the workshop. Upon shooting a mail to the territory manager, Dealership had to take the necessary actions in order to avoid such instances in future. Higher ups from the respective dealership explained me the same by inviting me to their workshop.

Believe me, the dealerships also take the Customer satisfaction surveys very seriously these days.

I would really advice you to pursue the matter till the end.

We (consumers) should demonstrate courage to stand firmly against such malpractices.

PS: Who will be responsible in case such vehicles meet with an accident? Driver will simply run away and the dealers would rub off their hands blaming drivers. On the other hand, Passengers also need to be aware of consequences of choosing non-registered / Insurance-less vehicles as their mode of transportation.

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 3rd May 2015 at 00:43.
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 00:37   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Appeciate the efforts. Good that you clicked the pics so that you have proof. One thing you missed is the pic of the driver - that would have made sure, he never ever does it again. Also good that you mentioed the SA's name - that guy is gonna come under fire! Hope this thread makes to the t-bhp home page soon.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 00:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is terrible and a new low for dealerships, who are know to use new cars for TD, inter-showroom duties and what not..

It's pretty sad as the new owner would not even know his car has been subject to picking and dropping off random people. Great job capturing this Shivjeet and I hope Maruti takes this up very seriously with the dealership.

If this thread/images somehow manages to reach the new car's owner, I hope he gives the dealership hell.

Last edited by k_ajay : 3rd May 2015 at 00:58.
k_ajay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 01:08   #12
BHPian

I definitely could've clicked the drivers picture but I didn't want him to get suspicious. This guy was stopping at every damn metro station and I had to slow down, which could've got him thinking but he was too stupid. He even took old routes that are crowded so that he could find more passengers.
Shivjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 02:02   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivjeet View Post

So today around 6 PM, my father and I were on our way home from office. We spotted a brand new Swift (red colour) running on red plates (which gave a hint that its a showroom car) which was being driven pretty rashly, so I took a look inside the car while overtaking it.
Though I ain't from your city, I have just shot a mail to Maruti Suzuki along with the thread link. Let's shoe they replace.

They have to accept their fault and get the dealership punished heavily so that no other dealer should repeat such misuse.

A new car to any family or any individual is a dream come true. The first crank, first drive etc are so memorable that it would just shatter their enthusiasm and dreams if one comes to know that the car was misused earlier as a cab.

Such practices need to be curbed by all manufacturers.

IMO let's share this on FB tagging Rohan automobiles too.

I am now worried as we are in line waiting for a delivery of a Alto k10 AMT. Don't know what's happening with our car .
a4anurag is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 07:42   #14
BHPian

Anyone tagged this atrocity on Maruti's and the dealer's FB wall or on Twitter? If not, maybe we should do that. This is just an obnoxious new low.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 08:03   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Not just the cab part, its sad how rash cars are driven when at hands of these drivers. These happens when cars are given for service too.

Anyways, have messaged on Facebook this link to Maruti. Will update of any reply.
mpksuhas is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks