Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2015, 11:52   #1
Team-BHP Support

Volkswagen to launch new Beetle in India; car imported for homologation

Volkswagen is planning to launch four new models in India over the next two years. Among the vehicles that are lined up, is the new Volkswagen Beetle. Now, the company has imported one unit of the car from Mexico for homologation.

Volkswagen to launch new Beetle in India; car imported for homologation-nbs150166rldig3000x1948.jpg

According to the information provided by zauba.com, the Beetle has a 1.4-litre TSI engine. This is the same engine that Volkswagen uses to power the Jetta sedan. The Beetle also uses the same PQ35 platform as the Jetta and features retro looks. This will be Volkswagen's halo product in India. The company will not expect to sell too many units of the car.

The Beetle will be positioned against the Mini Cooper. It will be brought to India via the CBU route.

More information on the Beetle is awaited.

Volkswagen to launch new Beetle in India; car imported for homologation-untitled.png

Last edited by Aditya : 26th May 2015 at 11:59.
Aditya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 13:04   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen to launch new Beetle in India; car imported for homologation

Fantastic news, Aditya! No car makes you smile like the VW Beetle.

It'll definitely do better than the 2nd-generation which was launched in India in 2009. The market has become more mature since and the premium segment - especially - has grown.

What's also really important is that, unlike the lame 2.0L 115 BHP petrol of the earlier car, this new Beetle has been imported with a 1.4L TSI. It makes 158 BHP in the Beetle.

Just don't price it as ridiculously as the Mini Cooper. VW is bringing it in too late (global launch was in 2011), better make it worth the wait.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 13:36   #3
Team-BHP Support

The new Beetle has been spotted testing in India.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Volkswagen to launch new Beetle in India; car imported for homologation-beetle.jpg

Source: Autocar India
Aditya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 08:40   #4
BHPian

First batch of 40-50 Beetles has already landed as per Zauba! One can definitely expect a late november - early december launch.
Senna4Ever is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 14:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

All-new Beetle's India-spec brochure leaked!

VW Beetle's brochure has been leaked before its launched in the India.

Volkswagen to launch new Beetle in India; car imported for homologation-newvwbeetlefrontthreequarterbrochureleaks900x506.jpg

Volkswagen to launch new Beetle in India; car imported for homologation-newvwbeetlesidebrochureleaks900x439.jpg

Volkswagen to launch new Beetle in India; car imported for homologation-newvwbeetleexteriorfeaturesbrochureleaks900x506.jpg

Volkswagen to launch new Beetle in India; car imported for homologation-newvwbeetlefeaturesbrochureleaks900x506.jpg

Volkswagen to launch new Beetle in India; car imported for homologation-newvwbeetlecompletespecsheetbrochureleaks.jpg

Source: IAB
S2!!! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 15:15   #6
Team-BHP Support

This Beetle looks much more sportier than the older Beetle. The older one appealed more to the fairer sex than the guys. This might change things around a bit.

It finally has a decent engine now as well. It was funny to see the regular VW cars have better engines than their most expensive product. The 2.0L 115BHP motor with an old torque converter was a joke at 30 lakhs.

With the A class, Mini Cooper they are treading on dangerous territory if they increase the price too much.

OT: If the Beetle can get the 1.4 TSI engine with 158 BHP and a 7 speed DSG what's stopping them from getting this combo in the Jetta. The Jetta's 1.4TSI petrol is a dud in the market and they are completely dependent on the diesel. A well priced Jetta with this 1.4TSI and 7 speed DSG will bring the fight to the Elantra and Altis and perhaps even take away some sales from the Creta.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 17:30   #7
BHPian

Wouldn't the Polo GTI get similar features as compared to this and probably with the 1.8 engine?

If imported as a CBU, the GTI could end up costing a bomb as well. Hopefully they will launch that soon enough though.
Old 17th November 2015, 17:37   #8
Team-BHP Support

Volkswagen has announced that it has opened bookings for the Beetle in India. Prospective customers can book the car either through select Volkswagen showrooms across India or online at www.bookmybeetle.in. A limited number of cars will be available and the booking amount is set at Rs. 1,00,000.

Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 20:14   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just don't price it as ridiculously as the Mini Cooper. VW is bringing it in too late (global launch was in 2011), better make it worth the wait.
What could be the RIGHT price GTO? 20L on road? With pseudo SUVs and crossovers like Creta and Scross getting priced close to 18L, can we expect a gem of a car like this to be priced around 20L price point?

I personally believe anywhere around the 25L on road (Bengaluru) should be a good price point. Should bring good crowd to the VW showrooms.
Old 18th November 2015, 11:35   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFan View Post
What could be the RIGHT price GTO? 20L on road? With pseudo SUVs and crossovers like Creta and Scross getting priced close to 18L, can we expect a gem of a car like this to be priced around 20L price point?
In your dreams .

When a locally assembled Jetta Highline costs 24 lakhs, there's no way a CBU Beetle will come at 20 lakhs. I'd say the pricing will be 30ish lakhs.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 15:17   #11
BHPian

Is it just me or is the new beetle actually longer than the older one? It seems to have lost the iconic 'bug' shape in the process of making it longer, perhaps to make it fit Jetta's platform. That may be a mixed blessing as it may now appeal to more guys than girls, as Vid6639 has rightly pointed out, but also be less 'Beetle-ish' than before.
Old 18th November 2015, 22:48   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Even though I am not a VW fan I'll say the car looks beautiful. I had an unusual experience with VW and the Beetle when the earlier model was introduced 6 years ago and wonder if VW will allow prospective buyers to test drive their new Beetle before deciding on purchasing it. My experience was as follows - In 2009 I went for my first and last visit to a VW showroom. My interest was in testing and buying the Beetle to replace the Corsa as my daily commuter. And the VW dealer in Gurgaon (called Volkswagen Gurgaon on MG road) refused to permit a test drive saying emphatically that the Beetle is so iconic that VW policy says it cannot be taken for a test drive. These were his exact words. I explained I was willing to buy it the same day (the cost then, I think, was Rs 22 lakhs) provided I was given an hour's drive...but no sir. The discussion went on for about 20 minutes but he was adamant that orders from the top were very clear. Over the years I have personally bought several cars (and one second hand scooter) and this was without doubt my most unusual experience ever. I wonder if others have had similar experiences with VW. In fact it left me with a bruised ego. I wonder if this is VW's policy or was this one silly dealer mis-behaving. I think those were his orders from the top because I look, dress and talk like a middle aged man. He could not have possibly mistaken me for a 22 year old wanting a joy ride.

Old 20th November 2015, 17:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The new Beetle has been spotted testing in India.

Attachment 1398605

Source: Autocar India
The Beetle Is a headturner wherever it goes. My post is actually not about that but about the Enfield Bullet in the foreground that seems to belong to a Language Zealot. How can these bikes be allowed on the road? There is a law against this but is anybody implementing it?
Old 21st November 2015, 10:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohooper View Post
The Beetle Is a headturner wherever it goes. My post is actually not about that but about the Enfield Bullet in the foreground that seems to belong to a Language Zealot. How can these bikes be allowed on the road? There is a law against this but is anybody implementing it?
The Beetle is now no longer beetlish. With the new shape it looks like a morph between the beetle and the earliest 911 (which was derived from the beetle).
However I agree, it looks good, in its own way.
Regarding that vernacular number plate, Maharastra is full of this stupidity, similar to Karnatata, the number-plate is completely illegal but even cops do it, so who will bell the cat?
Old 21st November 2015, 11:57   #15
BHPian

This sure is a late Indian entry! I happened to be in Malaysia when the beetle was launched there in Sept 2012, at a grand scale. The venue was the famous KLCC Towers/Twin towers. If my memory serves me right, this beauty was priced at MYR ~150K i.e. INR ~22L (forex MYR:INR at 1:15). Attaching a few pics from the event.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen to launch new Beetle in India; car imported for homologation-dsc_0062.jpg  

Volkswagen to launch new Beetle in India; car imported for homologation-dsc_0065.jpg  

Volkswagen to launch new Beetle in India; car imported for homologation-dsc_0077.jpg  

Volkswagen to launch new Beetle in India; car imported for homologation-dsc_0012.jpg  

Volkswagen to launch new Beetle in India; car imported for homologation-dsc_0014.jpg  

Volkswagen to launch new Beetle in India; car imported for homologation-dsc_0053.jpg  

KomS_CarLog is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks