Team-BHP - Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/164474-tata-developing-premium-hatchback-altroz-edit-launched-5-29-lakh-110.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWAllstar (Post 4738607)
Ok that is overtly optimistic. In real world I guess Altroz should be anywhere between 10-14 kmpl for the petrol and 15-18 kmpl for the diesel.

Is Tata doing everything possible to cover all bases? This looks like a paid result to me.

Isn't the car really light (while being well built). It has got a 1.2 NA petrol and lazy tuned 1.5L turbo diesel. Besides, ARAI mileage figures are not the most accurate. Yep, your efficiency figures are what I would expect too.

Quote:

Ok that is overtly optimistic. In real world I guess Altroz should be anywhere between 10-14 kmpl for the petrol and 15-18 kmpl for the diesel.

Is Tata doing everything possible to cover all bases? This looks like a paid result to me.

It depends on what "real world" means. There were times I managed to eak out 25 kmpl from my Linea MultiJet over a distance of 400 kilometers. On a similar trip in my Nexon petrol AMT, I got 18 kmpl (Full tank calculation). The ARAI figure will always be closer to a sedate highway drive rather than a spirited city drive.

I daresay, an experienced driver who knows his/her car and can anticipate traffic movement can always match if not better the official figures on a highway road (in the plains).

In other words, most drivers in most conditions won't get the ARAI figures, but that's not a manufacturer's fault.

Quote:

It's the arai results. Pretty much every car i know has a much higher arai rating than actual rating. If i remember correctly, the ciaz ddis has a rating of around 28kmpl, doesn't mean that will be achieved everytime.

Quote:

What I meant was, the already exaggerated ARAI figures is more stretched. We all know the test is done in an ideal situation and keeping most parameters constant.

It is high time that they start test and giving out results simulating our average road conditions and traffic taking into consideration. We Indians are obsessed with average and more than 90% of the owners want the cost to be kept to minimal.

These days all brands are influencing the market with such unreal figures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWAllstar (Post 4738678)
What I meant was, the already exaggerated ARAI figures is more stretched. We all know the test is done in an ideal situation and keeping most parameters constant.

If you did mean that, it didn't come out very well. What didn't help was the fact that you said the manufacturer paid to get favorable results.

Besides, I don't see any indication of this result pushing any limit as rightly pointed out, there are cars that had higher ARAI numbers, at which stage your point becomes irrelevant to Tata or Altroz or this thread.

Quote:

It is high time that they start test and giving out results simulating our average road conditions and traffic taking into consideration. We Indians are obsessed with average and more than 90% of the owners want the cost to be kept to minimal.

That's not what their intention is. ARAI will show the upper possible limit and they can neither predict "your" environment nor want to simulate it. That said one has to keep optimum driving habits with an ambition to hit the ARAI mileage :)

Why do people get all sorts of doubts on Tata threads only?

Arai certified range for Kona is 452km which is far from the real range, which is far from ratings by other agencies, does it mean that Hyundai paid for to obtain the desired result? Did people get such doubts on that thread?

Okay, let's assume that the doubts/questions are not just about Tata but about all other OEMs, then why those questions appear only on Tata related threads?

Quote:

Originally Posted by destrukt (Post 4738474)
the dealer says there won't be any negotiations on Insurance and even handling charges.

Their stand is that it being a new car, these bargains will not be entertained.
I understand their position, but I have also read fellow BHPians' accounts on Seltos thread who could manage to bargain over these charges around the launch time.

Am I being too hopeful if I think dealer will come around and offer us these discounts?

There is no law stating that you have to purchase the insurance from them. You can ask them to match the price from outside. Please ensure to check IDV and other add-ons for your friend in case he is not experienced.

Tata must already be paying a pretty good commission to the salesperson to sell an Altroz (just like they did for the Harrier since it's a new segment and they can't afford to fail...much more than a Hexa would fetch them).

For the handling charges, you might have to get Tata involved (but I won't keep my expectations high). How much are they asking for if I may ask?

Unfortunately, even if you manage to get all this sorted I am not sure if your friend will have a good sales experience (being alloted a car later than it should be, not getting a colour of choice etc). Simple because the salesperson might try to pull a fast one just to get back at him.

This unfortunately is something I have come to expect of our Indian dealerships.

Posting about this on social media might be better than in Team bhp.

The products seems to be all good here. I went to the showroom in my neighbourhood yesterday & there were lot of people looking at Altroz and discussing about cancelling their booking with some competition and shifting here. However, the bigger challenge from Tata perspective would be to ensure minimal niggles and small issues in car- as has been the case. I agree that the car looks absolutely stunning in person - the design, proportions and colour all add up to make this look quite premium.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prakash_ajp (Post 4738687)
If you did mean that, it didn't come out very well. What didn't help was the fact that you said the manufacturer paid to get favorable results.

Besides, I don't see any indication of this result pushing any limit as rightly pointed out, there are cars that had higher ARAI numbers, at which stage your point becomes irrelevant to Tata or Altroz or this thread.

Seriously prakash_ajp. I agree with you 200%. Tata thread = bashing. People have even started bashing "ARAI published" fuel efficiency figures in a thread related to a product launch from Tata. The figures are not out of the world either. There are other products whose figures are 30% more and no one complains. Do they think those figures are achievable? :uncontrol

To be frank, looking at these figures, I think I can achieve better efficiency if I drive with a light foot on a highway. I have noticed in all my cars that I can achieve better highway efficiencies (compared to the ARAI figures) if I drive with a light foot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JithinR (Post 4738703)
How much are they asking for if I may ask?

It is 6500 quoted as handling charges. I guess this is something we can let go in order to keep the sales experience smooth.

But there is good amount of saving in buying insurance from outside or at least if they can match the quote from outside.

We will try to reach out to other dealerships and see if we can get any competitive quotes. Recent developments have made it little difficult because all Concorde dealerships have been taken over by Bafna here in Pune.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelguy (Post 4738696)
Why do people get all sorts of doubts on Tata threads only?

I take this as a positive sign here. TATA cars are making you think on things which were forgotten but are extremely critical.

Examples are
1. The mileage of Tiago when compared to Maruti Celerio, people started thinking about TATA's improvements. TATA indeed can make a difference.
2. When NCAP conducted crash tests with 5 stars for Nexon, safety was discussed which was forgotten in Maruti era.
3. When cars like Altroz showed upper hand over Baleno and i20 on multiple aspects, these things came in limelight (e.g Cruise Control and again safety)
4. After sales and services, since TATA lags behind, it needs to be discussed and perhaps to get that feedback to TATA in a way or other.

There are many more. So I (owner of Tiago NRG Petrol) do not think this is wrong. I am happy to sea a "desi" car manufacturer is progressing in a great way and feel to support that fully.

No doubts about refinement of the 3 cylinder petrol compared to the Tiago. I've not driven it yet but I've seen enough reviews from big channels and "real life" reviewers to comprehend that it is way more refined than my Tiago, which has bad vibes ( it is 2016 model ).

One thing they shoud take special attention to is the fit and finish, my Tiago is really well built ( build quality wise ) but fit and finish had some problems and the car developed some rattles, although not nearly as bad as a suzuki swift etc.

The diesel, in my opinion, ticks pretty much every box if i was hunting for a car, and the fit and finish is the last box it needs to tick, which i will need to check out the car personally.

Quote:

While this is okay.
Quote:

This is a pretty serious allegation. Care to explain how you came up with this piece of information? :Frustrati

Every other car's ARAI figures are exaggerated, some even more so than what's been shown for the Altroz.. Funny I never see you commenting out there. Why is that?

Quote:

Are you sure that's what you were trying to say? That's not what it looked like..

Quote:

These days all brands are influencing the market with such unreal figures.
It is high time indeed, but the alleging that the results are paid for? ARAI is an independent authority and conducts its own tests.

Quote:

Adding to what others have already said I dont think casual or baseless claims should be really entertained against any manufacturer for that matter.That being said directing your disapproval at the overly optimistic claims of ARAI makes sense , this is a general consensus in the forum as well . But isolating TATA and and accusing them of indulging in unethical practices without a shred of evidence isn't the way to go. If I may add my extensive test drives of the Ameo TDI never reached the published figures either ,no matter how much of a light foot I drove with but that doesn't mean I should jump the Gun and start accusing them of unethical practices even if said company has a history of indulging in them:)