Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2020, 20:45   #1591
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Hi, are you quoting from personal experience or mere hear-say? I bought the first Nexon in Bengaluru in 2017 and have had no issues. Will you take my word for it and lay your fears to rest now? Service in my City has been great so far. And the cheapest cost of ownership
Well taking your word to lay my fears won't happen. I am in my 7th Tata car ownership and the latest purchase was in 2018.

You may be lucky enough to own a niggle free Tata. I myself have had 3 niggle free Tatas out of 7. I talk from my experience. If your experience tells you that your Tata is a niggle free car, mine says otherwise. Agree to disagree! Your experience won't change my opinion about Tatas in general. My 20 year tryst with the brand is the basis of my judgement. Peace.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 23rd January 2020 at 20:49.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 20:57   #1592
BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Hi, are you quoting from personal experience or mere hear-say? I bought the first Nexon in Bengaluru in 2017 and have had no issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Well taking your word to lay my fears won't happen...... My 20 year tryst with the brand is the basis of my judgement. Peace.
Well we took delivery of our June 2019 make Hexa on Jan 9, 2020. The car is currently at TASS Mangalore since Tuesday and I don't expect delivery before Monday. Basically entire 3rd week of ownership in TASS. Check my experience here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4736675 (Tata Hexa : Official Review)

So no point in debating this. Tata isn't the last word w.r.t. to reliability and niggle free ownership. They have goofed up my Hexa from the factory itself.

I did check out the Altroz and it seemed way more sorted than the Harrier at launch. Reliability and eye for detail lovers should stay away from initial batches of new Tata launches IMO. I mean they still cannot roll out niggle free Hexas which is technically a decade old product.
TROOPER is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 21:06   #1593
BANNED

Tata to launch Altroz automatic before the festive season in 2020

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-tataaltrozsilver.jpg
Quote:
It is a known fact that Tata is working on an AT variant and we have now learnt that it will be launched before the festive season kicks in this year, which is still a few months away. The automatic transmission won’t be an AMT and it is likely to be a DCT. The Altroz AT seems to be going through testing rounds still. A lot of customers have been asking for the automatic variant and its launch will give a good boost to the car’s sales.
Good that it is not an AMT, but what do they mean by festive season, which festival?

Source

Last edited by wheelguy : 23rd January 2020 at 21:08.
wheelguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 21:10   #1594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post

So no point in debating this. Tata isn't the last word w.r.t. to reliability and niggle free ownership. They have goofed up my Hexa from the factory itself.

I did check out the Altroz and it seemed way more sorted than the Harrier at launch. Reliability and eye for detail lovers should stay away from initial batches of new Tata launches IMO. I mean they still cannot roll out niggle free Hexas which is technically a decade old product.

OT, but please complain in strong language to the TASS helpline. You do not deserve this. I saw your post on the other thread, and it is sad. Please complain and ask their engineers to come from wherever they stay- they did come for a blower issue in my parent's Hexa in Ahmedabad from Pune within a few days. Your case is critical and needs to be addressed. Tata listens, although the decibel may need to be high. They are still better than Hyundai which has forced many visits to repair a powerloss issue in my parent's Xcent CNG without any solution.

I am sure that Tata will listen and give an appropriate solution.

On a separate note, if a Hexa customer faces this even today after the car's 3rd year, I wonder what the highly educated managers in charge of the customer experience department are doing. Building new VR screens and installing new decor in your showroom won't up your sales. You have already destroyed tonnes of shareholder money. The stock is already 1/3 of its value 3 years ago. Please hire competent mechanics to head your services team, instead of fancy MBAs. I cannot fathom how Tata managed to screw up every launch after spending tonnes of money on off road events etc. Even Jeep did better than them.

The Hexa is a better product than the Innova, Marazzo etc and yet it faces the challenge of credibility. Unless the fundamentals are addressed, the Altroz will end up the same way. See the number of Zest, Dzire and Xcent cabs today. The Zest is a far better product but cabbies will still prefer a Dzire or Xcent.

Please delete if inappropriate.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 23rd January 2020 at 21:21.
Nissan1180 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 21:18   #1595
BHPian

Re: Tata to launch Altroz automatic before the festive season in 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Good that it is not an AMT, but what do they mean by festive season, which festival?

Source
Has to be Dussehra/Diwali, so atleast 8-9 months away.

And by that time all the buzz around altroz will be gone.
sandhyab is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 21:22   #1596
BANNED

Deliveries of Altroz have begun.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-fb_img_1579794375406.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-fb_img_1579794377872.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-fb_img_1579794380120.jpg

PS: Regarding the QC issues, niggles, and service issues, I think Tata need to let go off the oldies from the company and its network who resist to give up their old habits.
wheelguy is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 21:48   #1597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post

Good to know it's no AMT. Tata, Mahindra and Renault should pull the plug on AMTs. The inherent delayed action AND jerky nature of AMTs takes away all the fun. Maruti has given automatics somewhat bad name in India by bringing in rudimentary AMTs just as Mahindra has given EVs somewhat bad name by launching underpowered Electric Veritos. Seeing Maruti going for AMTs in a big way, Tata and Mahindra followed suit, thinking Maruti never gets anything wrong in India. Nexon and XUV300 diesel with torque converter automatic would have taken the fight to Creta / Seltos diesel automatic camp.

That said, why DCT? Why not conventional torque converter or CVT? These two are by far the best types of automatic gearboxes as far as decent performance and longevity go. We have seen DCT/DSG issues crop up even in brand new Venues and Seltos', and not to speak of several in VAG and Ford cars. Please Tata focus on TCs/CVTs.
pgsagar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 22:10   #1598
Team-BHP Support

Tata to launch Altroz automatic before the festive season in 2020

I am SO happy they are not peddling AMTs into such a premium hatch. But Tatas + DCT??? Shiver me timbers. ...
Axe77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 22:11   #1599
Senior - BHPian

Tata doesn't know the meaning of the phrase "Beat the Iron when it's hot" By this festive season there will be better launches and Altroz will be all but forgotten! Why TML why? Is it that difficult to give an automatic gear box; may be it's still stuck in the commercial vehicle mindset or frankly it doesn't have the tech. They're still dragging their feet after so many months of the Harrier launch with no automatic gearbox. One needs to take lessons from Tata on how to kill a good product!! A DCT from Tata Wow! The service centers wouldn't have a clue!!

Last edited by Durango Dude : 23rd January 2020 at 22:31.
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 22:35   #1600
BANNED

The transmission is from Belgian company (owned by Chinese) Punch Powertrain, DT1 a 7 speed DCT which can be good for upto 200Nm torque. Surprisingly haven't heard about any car with the same transmission, although Peugeot group is planning to use it. Hope it turns out reliable. As much as I love driving DCT, I'm not sure about its long term reliability.
The Rationalist is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 06:25   #1601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
The transmission is from Belgian company (owned by Chinese) Punch Powertrain, DT1 a 7 speed DCT which can be good for upto 200Nm torque. Surprisingly haven't heard about any car with the same transmission, although Peugeot group is planning to use it. Hope it turns out reliable. As much as I love driving DCT, I'm not sure about its long term reliability.
Punch Powerglide is the same company that gave us that brilliant 6 speed TC used on the Hexa. If that gearbox and the tuning Tata did with it are any indication of what to expect, we are in for a real treat come Diwali.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 07:19   #1602
Distinguished - BHPian

I just noticed that the lower trims XE and XM come with 14 inch 165 section tyres. Damn, the XT and XZ come with 16 inchers and 195(petrol) and 185(diesel) sections. I think we haven't yet seen the lower trims in pictures.

It definitely would look odd to have such a stylish car ride on narrow, small wheels. That is quite some difference in tyre sizes. 2 inches in alloy diameter and 30mm in tyre width! Usually there has been one inch difference with other manufacturers (Maruti/Skoda with 15-16 inchers in their sedan variants), I think Tata follows the Hexa route here.

This alone should be the reason for many people to get the XT variant over the lower ones.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 24th January 2020 at 07:21.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 07:56   #1603
Senior - BHPian

I'm sorry this happened to you and can feel your hurt. I have had a good product delivered to me so I said that upfront. Altroz is a new launch and speaking negative about other products from the stable (on this thread) could potentially nip it in the bud. Being car fanatics, let's wish it success. Fingers crossed
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Well we took delivery of our June 2019 make Hexa on Jan 9, 2020. The car is currently at TASS Mangalore since Tuesday and I don't expect delivery before Monday. Basically entire 3rd week of ownership in TASS. Check my experience here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4736675 (Tata Hexa : Official Review)

Last edited by Sebring : 24th January 2020 at 08:15.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 08:33   #1604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post
It seems deliveries of Altroz have begun.
Captured this early in the morning today, with a temp registration print out stuck on rear windshield.
Attachment 1960029
The side shot makes me feel a small black cladding / rub rail near the lower crease in the doors would make it look (probably) better. Its a bit too plain in that region.
Old 24th January 2020, 08:53   #1605
BHPian

Quote:
Altroz is a new launch and speaking negative about other products from the stable (on this thread) could potentially nip it in the bud. Being car fanatics, let's wish it success. Fingers crossed
There will be many owners like yourself from the VAG stable too. I'm not hating on Tata or their products. If you go back and check all my posts from the past couple weeks you'd note I'm a Tata fanboy. Still am.

All I wanted to say is Tata isn't the last word with reliability and niggle free ownership. I expected niggles. Not complete breakdown in 3rd week of ownership.

Also, this forum isn't to advertise carmakers products. We are the ones who call a spade a spade. If Tata cannot build a decade old product satisfactorily, then it's their problem. And members and visitors alike need to be informed about how pathetic their QC still is after all the raving about 'gold standard'. An informed buyer will be more comfortable to deal with issues later on.

What's the point of this forum if we hold back on reporting a carmaker's drawbacks? Let's end it at this, and let the discussion on the Altroz continue.
TROOPER is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed