Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2020, 20:32   #1576
BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Being a VW fan, I'm happy for a change that Tata has launched a Polo killer. The only thing left going for the Polo is the DSG.
Anyways the other Polos especially 1.0 MPI have committed suicide

To beat Polo GT TSI, Altorz will have to do a lot more than just JTP. And I don't see it happening in the next 2 years.

The current iteration of Altroz can maximum damage the market share of Elite i20, Jazz and Glanza. Figo and Polo are anyways not doing great. To outsell Baleno, it will need a lot of help from Tata's after sales service.

After all 'safe cars' are only new to we Indians.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 22nd January 2020 at 20:34.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 20:49   #1577
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Being a VW fan, I'm happy for a change that Tata has launched a Polo killer. The only thing left going for the Polo is the DSG.
The rumoured autobox for the Altroz is a dual clutch tranny. Will be a big step up from the AMT. Irony will be the Altroz will have a nicer automatic powertrain than the pricier Nexon!

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-altroz-415147
Old 22nd January 2020, 20:51   #1578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
I saw a top end gold color Altroz with black roof on my way back from work. It is jaw dropping awesome . The rear does not feel overdone at all and seamless integrates with the roof color.

I take my statement back, VFM be damned, just go for the top variant with black roof
Or just get the roof wrapped black

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Anyways the other Polos especially 1.0 MPI have committed suicide

Too beat Polo GT TSI, Altorz will have to do a lot more than just JTP. And I don't see it happening in the next 2 years.
I wonder how’s the TDI faring though? Hopefully Tata comes out with a JTP or similar version that’s as powerful as the Abarth Punto was. Plonking that engine inside the Altroz wouldn’t be a bad idea. Wishful thinking though!
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:30   #1579
BHPian

Very good Petrol pricing, though not sure if it can match Maruti's/Hyundai's 1.2 Litre engines, Tata's sales and service is a bit of a miss. Also a big negative is the lack of an automatic.
Old 23rd January 2020, 11:36   #1580
BHPian

What does the Customization pack include?
Old 23rd January 2020, 13:21   #1581
BHPian

It seems deliveries of Altroz have begun.

Captured this early in the morning today, with a temp registration print out stuck on rear windshield.

Later on saw the owner drive it away too.

The Gold color certainly stands out, and in a good way. And is very classy.

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altroz-1.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-altroz-2.jpg
OrangeCar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 13:27   #1582
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post
The Gold color certainly stands out, and in a good way. And is very classy.
I felt the same when I saw it in flesh.

But this is one colour that would age very badly if you don't have a covered car park at the residence / office.

Remember the sunset orange & sea blue of earlier Tatas? (ref: Sumo Grande)
They looked faded so easily if the upkeep isn't good.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 14:31   #1583
BANNED

Seems good pricing considering the features on offer and competition. Only issue is difference between petrol and diesel pricing. Buyer may go away from diesel due to price and from petrol due to 3 pot.
Old 23rd January 2020, 16:33   #1584
BHPian

Pricing is good along with safety at its best in class, sufficient features, trendy exteriors, Tata has launched yet again a good product.

However, I still feel Indian OEMs fail to add atleast one or two innovative features in their offerings.
Of course there are a bundle of good features in Altroz but they are not new for a 2020 launch. Every single feature is minimum 5 years old in the market. Has anyone noticed a unique feature to advertise which can be considered market first (keep aside the 5 star safety rating for now) to showcase their innovations? Why be always quick followers?

Indian market is highly volatile and people want a feature or two to brag about the product which is clearly missing in Altroz (correct me if I am wrong)

Additionally, their sales and service, the least spoken the better. Recently Tata showroom closed in my town and the nearest Tata service is 50kms away. Even though a great car, not many would buy due to service concerns in the region and this is a big hit for Tata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishchugh View Post
I think Tata can learn a bit from Maruti. They could have launched it on "introductory" prices which is supposed to be revised in 3 months time. This way they could have offered diesel at 1.2 Lakh premium and judged the response. If there are tackers increase the price, if not its better to sell at lower price than not at all.
I would disagree to launch at a lower price.
Reason is, when Tiago was launched, its pricing was good. However after some time Tata revised the pricing which led to a lot of discussions. Together with cost increase they had to cut on features. A lot of features went missing after first launch to stay profitable.
Owners side by side in traffic with same model, one having less features and had to pay higher prices than the other, its not a nice feeling.
UB_007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 17:06   #1585
BHPian

The price difference of Rs. 1.6 lacs is huge. I am sure difference cannot be that much. a difference of about Rs. 50K to Rs. 75k is alright. I remember when I had bought Indica Turbo, the difference between top-end of turbo (diesel) and Xeta was less than 50K (ex-showroom). It may be that the Tata Motors is putting more focus on petrol model
Old 23rd January 2020, 17:11   #1586
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
Indian market is highly volatile and people want a feature or two to brag about the product which is clearly missing in Altroz (correct me if I am wrong)

Really?

If that was the case, Maruti won't have 10% of sales that it currently has.

Customers want a good looking, safe, necessary features laden(airbags, abs, AT box, good in-car infotainment to name a few), niggle-free peace of mind car with more than enough space, adequately powered and efficient engine and an affordable price tag.

Innovation takes a back seat to the masses. They want a car that can effectively take them from point A to B without much hassle.

I guess Tata did a great job except for 2 bummers

1. Lack of AT
2. First gen models of any Tata product is bound to have minor niggles and even if you are patient enough to work through those minor flaws, Tata A.S.S at majority locations will want to test your patience.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 17:37   #1587
BHPian

The diesel prices should be compared with competition and not with the petrol variants. The diesel variants are still VFM and that is what matters.
jayguar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 18:47   #1588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
2. First gen models of any Tata product is bound to have minor niggles and even if you are patient enough to work through those minor flaws,
Sorry, I have to disagree to that first part of your second point. Barring Harrier, all recent Tata cars have been decent to solid, namely Tiago, Tigor and Nexon. So, it's not so certain as your put it.
prakash_ajp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 18:48   #1589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
Has anyone noticed a unique feature to advertise which can be considered market first (keep aside the 5 star safety rating for now) to showcase their innovations? Why be always quick followers?
Well, the 5 star safety rating is a very useful and life saving 'Feature' by itself. Of course, the problem is that the majority consider stuff like touchscreen the size of a TV, or maybe an app that will make the car dance etc. as features.
racer_ash is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 19:19   #1590
Senior - BHPian

Hi, are you quoting from personal experience or mere hear-say? I bought the first Nexon in Bengaluru in 2017 and have had no issues. Will you take my word for it and lay your fears to rest now? Service in my City has been great so far. And the cheapest cost of ownership
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
First gen models of any Tata product is bound to have minor niggles and even if you are patient enough to work through those minor flaws, Tata A.S.S at majority locations will want to test your patience.
Sebring is offline   (15) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks