Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2015, 22:27   #16
BHPian

re: BMW to drop prices due to increased localisation. EDIT: New prices announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Where did 10-14 lacs come from?
From the below thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-bmw-audi.html

2013 Delhi on-road for F30 = 33.64-44 (2012 price was lower)
2015 Delhi on-road price for F30 = 42-48.32

That is roughly increase of 8.36 lakhs in two years, with 2012 it should be close to 10 lakhs. Agree some of this is due to the increased taxes as well.

Last edited by bharatbs : 9th July 2015 at 22:34.
Old 9th July 2015, 22:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
From the below thread

That is roughly increase of 8.36 lakhs in two years, with 2012 it should be close to 10 lakhs. Agree some of this is due to the increased taxes as well.

I don't think the prices compared are for the same model. Even if this comparison was between different models at different times and lets say the unfair comparison shows 8.36 lakhs hike for the sake of argument, stretching it upto 14 lakhs? That's madness.
Old 9th July 2015, 23:14   #18
BHPian

re: BMW to drop prices due to increased localisation. EDIT: New prices announced

Not surprised or too delighted by the move. BMW had inflated its prices too much anyway, and this is just something that shouldn't have been required.

Anyway, considering you can get anywhere from 5-15 lakh discount on these cars, this price cut might not impact the final buying price too much. The price for such cars depends largely on your haggling abilities and the dealer you're dealing with.

I hope Mercedes follows suit, especially with that absurdly priced C class. That car needs at least a 3-4 lakh rupee price cut. Its too underpowered and cramped to cost so much. Audi however seems to get it right with pricing. I hope it remains the same with the new Q7 as well
Old 10th July 2015, 00:08   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
I don't think the prices compared are for the same model. Even if this comparison was between different models at different times and lets say the unfair comparison shows 8.36 lakhs hike for the sake of argument, stretching it upto 14 lakhs? That's madness.
You don't seem to have reviewed the prices

2012 Sept (team-bhp, ex-showroom) => 2015 May (Carwale/Gaadi, ex-showroom Bangalore)

28,90,000 => 36,50,000 = 7,60,000 Prestige
31,50,000 => 40,60,000 = 9,10,000 Luxury line
36,90,000 => 40,60,000 = 3,70,000 Sportsline

How can the ex-showroom price of F30 rise by up to of 9,10,000 in 2.5 years when commodities like steel has declined dramatically in the last 12 months?

In Bangalore the on-road for 320d luxury line was 51 lakhs last month without discounts. I am remember it being around 36 when it was launched.

Last edited by bharatbs : 10th July 2015 at 00:12.
Old 10th July 2015, 00:14   #20
BHPian

FYI, luxury line and sports line had variations of trim levels from the time of launch till date. So you cannot make a straight comparison of just the price. And still, 10-14 lakhs price hike claim is not yet seen anywhere mate. Banglore taxes are higher and so makes cars dearer by a few lakhs depending on the price of the car.
Old 10th July 2015, 02:38   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From the below thread

The 2013 on road price I'm certain is the Prestige which was launched that year. 2012 price would be lower, but was raised 2 lacs after the introductory pricing was over, and features were added to the sportsline and luxury line.

Quote:
You don't seem to have reviewed the prices

2012 Sept (team-bhp, ex-showroom) => 2015 May (Carwale/Gaadi, ex-showroom Bangalore)

28,90,000 => 36,50,000 = 7,60,000 Prestige
31,50,000 => 40,60,000 = 9,10,000 Luxury line
36,90,000 => 40,60,000 = 3,70,000 Sportsline

How can the ex-showroom price of F30 rise by up to of 9,10,000 in 2.5 years when commodities like steel has declined dramatically in the last 12 months?

In Bangalore the on-road for 320d luxury line was 51 lakhs last month without discounts. I am remember it being around 36 when it was launched.
The starting price you have quoted I'm quite certain is not Bangalore, but Delhi prices which were quoted in the press releases when they were launched. Luxury line and Sport line have always been the same price, how can their starting prices be 5 lacs difference?

Also in the case of the Luxury line where you got 9 lacs difference, I've mentioned this in my previous post. It was launched with inaugural pricing, and without a sunroof and hifi audio for 31.5. After that prices went to 34 odd, which was just about 6 months after launch if I'm not wrong. Then they have got up to 39 ex showroom, possibly crossing 40 in Bangalore. The on road price being 51 purely is the state governments fault because of the high road tax.

Also the luxury line you speak off at 36 was the luxury plus, with sunroof and hifi audio, bmw apps and navigation, and a reversing camera which made it quite a bit more loaded than the normal luxury line. That was discontinued when the extra features were added to the sport and luxury line.

My only point being, the price increase has been a fair amount, but a large amount of it is due to taxes. And also their price increase has been less than Mercedes and Audi.
Old 10th July 2015, 03:48   #22
BHPian

Import duties? What are they importing when they are localizing the whole thing here?

Anyways, buying a second hand BMW makes a lot of sense than a new one.
Old 10th July 2015, 07:27   #23
BHPian

Rumour: BMW to drop prices thanks to increased localisation EDIT: New prices ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Import duties? What are they importing when they are localizing the whole thing here?

Anyways, buying a second hand BMW makes a lot of sense than a new one.

When they launched F30, it was CKD. Localising does happen to an extent, but nowhere near "the whole thing". If you look at the car prices all over the world, India is among the most expensive to own one, only because of the import duties and taxes here. Govt plays a big role in making the expensive cars much more expensive when they reach our shores. Companies have a lesser role is making it so expensive than our Govt.

Its true that a second hand makes more sense because of the high depreciation of these cars. But Indians have been forced to pay such taxes and duties always because of our policies. Not everyone can or will wait till they get a good deal on a second hand car. There are many who opt only brand new cars no matter how much ever value for money a used car might be. The taxes and duties are to blame for a new car to be so over priced here.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 10th July 2015 at 07:30.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 10:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Hasn't the price of the BMW F30 increased by roughly 10-14 lakhs since its launch in 2012. So why are we celebrating a 1 lakh decrease in price? (1 lakh is ~2% decrease in price)

Further steel is big component in any car and international steel prices are at an all time low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
10-14 lakhs? F30 launched in second half of 2012. Prices have gone up since then I know but when did it shoot up so much?

Bharat is spot on. Ajaypjayaraj, yours might be a 1 off case.

I bought 2 F30 320d's back to back. 1 in January 2013. This was a base model that we got for 26 lacs ex showroom. The second we bought in March 2013 was a luxury line with custom saddle brown interior on which they restricted that discount as it had to be specially imported. This was 32.25 ex showroom.

Now 26 months later the prices are at least 20% higher. That's an insane amount of increase. In absolute terms that's almost 1% increase per month.

I was also offered a 520d for 36 lacs ex showroom by a delhi dealer during the same time. The 5 series seems to have undergone a higher price bump.

This remains the key reason for BMW going from no. 1 to number 3 within these same 26 months.

Mercedes has a more convincing product line at the moment with the C looking and feeling like a 40lac plus car. Partly because it's all new. Partly because they've filled the gap very well with CLA. BMW on the other hand continues to offer insane discounts on almost all their cars.

My take - wherever you're located, go to a delh dealer and bargain. 6-7 lacs discount on 320d is not unheard of. They pick up cars in large lots for bulk discounts from the company and then tend to pass that on to the customer on slower moving inventory.
Bluebeem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 10:17   #25
BHPian

I think BMW decreasing the price has more to do with poor sales than to do with local assembly. Speaking to the dealership here in kochi, they were desperate to get the vehicles moving.
nitinmurali is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 10:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
You will be surprised to know how much import content there is even in Maruti and Toyota products.

Most manufacturers import high tech components whose low turn over does not warrant local manufacture - ECU, Engine and Gearboxes (either built up units or CKD). Some even import critical steel panels. In low volume models (German car particularly), the Windshield, brakes and some transmission components will be imported.
Old 10th July 2015, 10:27   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Bharat is spot on. Ajaypjayaraj, yours might be a 1 off case.

I bought 2 F30 320d's back to back. 1 in January 2013. This was a base model that we got for 26 lacs ex showroom. The second we bought in March 2013 was a luxury line with custom saddle brown interior on which they restricted that discount as it had to be specially imported. This was 32.25 ex showroom.

Now 26 months later the prices are at least 20% higher. That's an insane amount of increase. In absolute terms that's almost 1% increase per month.

I was also offered a 520d for 36 lacs ex showroom by a delhi dealer during the same time. The 5 series seems to have undergone a higher price bump.

This remains the key reason for BMW going from no. 1 to number 3 within these same 26 months.

Mercedes has a more convincing product line at the moment with the C looking and feeling like a 40lac plus car. Partly because it's all new. Partly because they've filled the gap very well with CLA. BMW on the other hand continues to offer insane discounts on almost all their cars.

My take - wherever you're located, go to a delh dealer and bargain. 6-7 lacs discount on 320d is not unheard of. They pick up cars in large lots for bulk discounts from the company and then tend to pass that on to the customer on slower moving inventory.

You don't need to compare so many models and brands for checking this. Simply take one model of F30 at the time of launch and compare the price of the same model same trim today. If you can find a 10-14 lakhs difference, please let us know. Mine is not a one off case and no matter how many F30's anyone buy, I don't see that kind of "10-14" lakh price hike for the same model (exact same trim) of F30 from launch till date.
Old 10th July 2015, 10:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

With the Euro falling about 20% from a peak of about INR 90 in Sept 2013 to the present rate of about 70, I would have expected a much steeper cut in price. I think they are trying to make all of us believe that the reduction is due to increased localization. If they mention that it is due to exchange rate, then they will have reduce it even more.

Last edited by vasoo : 10th July 2015 at 10:30.
vasoo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 10:49   #29
BHPian

It's good that BMW has brought the price down.

But is it really because of localisation. If that is the case that cars running with 50% localized content the reduction should be much more on account of local prices and savings in duty.

Also , the reduction is nothing compared to the increase we have seen on the vehicles for the past 3 years.

The big three has various levels of localizations in their vehicles, but the benefits are not passed on to us. Till the time they decide on higher volume we will not get affordable cars from them. Until then, it will be a dream for many including myself.

Should keep an eye on forex and maybe further reduction might be on cards.
varunanb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 11:18   #30
BHPian

Some more information from BMW press release:

Up to eight car models can be locally produced on two assembly lines at BMW Plant Chennai. Presently, the BMW 1 Series, the BMW 3 Series, the BMW 3 Series Gran Turismo, the BMW 5 Series, the BMW 7 Series, the BMW X1, the BMW X3 and the BMW X5 are locally produced at BMW Plant Chennai.

Some of the major auto components sourced for local production of cars at BMW Plant Chennai are:
* Engine and Transmission from Force Motors
* Axles from ZF Hero Chassis
* Door Panels and Wiring Harness from Draexlmaier India
* Exhaust Systems from Tenneco Automotive India
* Heating, Ventilating, Air-conditioning and Cooling Modules from Valeo India and Mahle Behr
* Seats from Lear India
giri is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks