Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2015, 18:31   #16
Lij
BHPian

Re: July 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Jazz coming into the hatchback party and in B2 segment sits right at number 4. But whose pie has it eaten the most? Quick look suggests probably its the pies from C1 segment - Amaze (-32.9% MoM) and Xcent (-44.5% MoM). Maybe also the Elite i20 to an extent as well. But still early days for the Jazz just like it was for Ciaz when it was launched.

The Ciaz numbers are on a downward trend, just 2099 units last month, drop of 43.3% MoM. City and Verna also sees a fall, but not as much as Ciaz, down 27.9% and 18% respectively MoM. So the Creta and S-Cross eating into them?

And talking of Creta they are number 1 in C2 segment in the launch month itself with 6783 units, whereas S-Cross is lagging at 1510 units and with the pricing out seeems S-Cross wil remain a laggard.
Duster too bites the dust this month due to the S-Cross and Creta.
With a waiting period of around 8 months as someone said in the Creta thread, looks like it could de-throne City in C2 segment, although one is (projected as) an SUV and the other is a sedan.

Interesting it would be to see where the Aspire sits in the next 2 months figures.

PS : Has Ford shut shop on the Fiesta?

Last edited by Lij : 5th August 2015 at 18:36. Reason: Edited a typo
Old 5th August 2015, 18:55   #17
BHPian

I am surprised to see a 50% spurt in the sales of the Ritz. Even though a jump to 2000 is nothing for a Maruti car, I am eager to know how this happened. Especially with current thought process considering a very old, cheaper cousin of the Swift. It is due for a Facelift or a phase out, I suppose.

Also do the WagonR sales include the Stingray since I don't see a mention of it. Or has it been discontinued altogether?
Old 5th August 2015, 18:57   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

What happened to Renault (mostly Duster)?
- Effect of S-Cross and Creta's anticipation?
- Or was there a planned shutdown of sorts in the plant?

Otherwise, it is a worrying sign. Almost all their products sold less than half of the previous months. This, at a time, when they are trying to expand aggressively - http://www.business-standard.com/art...3000449_1.html

Let's see what the Kwid does for them.
Old 5th August 2015, 19:08   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

C2 segment sedans on a low, may be due to Creta and Scross anticipation. But looking at the ridiculous pricing of both, we may again see better numbers for C2 sedans this month, duster too!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 19:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Chevrolet: I guess end is very near now unless and untill they do some magic. Company doing nothing to stop the slide.

Datsun: They are doing better than i thought, very consistent. But nothing impressive as well to note it down, no body cares.

Fiat: They have done actually better this month. Total is better after many months. They are still maintaining there uniqueness in market. Loved by some ignored by most.

Ford: Ecosport is still selling but soon will face hard time with launches like Jazz, Creta and S-cross. I guess it will go below 2 K soon. New Fiesta has become joke of the town now. Its one of the most rare car on road ! Figo dying & will dye once new one is launched. I guess they have delayed it to much. Aspire is not that aspiring and will struggle badly.

Honda: Sudden spike due to Jazz. Lets see how it goes in next few months. Mobilio is failing, very fast. Hope Honda learned a lesson hard way. Amaze doing some good numbers but nothing great when you see Dzire numbers. Still some people buy Brio, best thing to happen with Honda in such a crowded market.

Hyundai: Impressive numbers for Creta & Elite i20. Need to see how Creta does after initial hype is done. Eon is going down now, not sure why. May be due to Maruti K10 AMT, just a guess. Also the Celerio diesel. i10 waiting for death now. Xcent losing it now against competition. Verna lost it now & need new model only in this segment. Overall good show by slanted H.

Mahindra: same story again & again. Only 3 cars doing business, Scorpio, XUV & old horse Bolero. Bolero numbers going down really fast, not sure why, may be due to slow growth in rural market. Looks like Quanto and Verito's are dead now.

Nissan & Renault: Nothing much to write, loosing badly now. Worst month for Renault in years. They have all hopes on Kwid now, Lodgy has lost it, very early i guess.

Tata: Little better numbers now. But nothing special for the giant. Nano should do better, hit by bad mouth publicity and their own A.S.S. Need to see what their future launches do. High hopes on Kite.

Toyota: All there expensive cars doing better in their segments & cheap cars failing badly. Corolla feeling heat now. Fortuner & Innova, business running as usual.

Skoda & VW: Nothing much for German duo. Only Polo doing some good numbers for VW & Rapid keeps Skoda factory running & keeps people busy. Superb, Jetta & Octy doing okayish. Vento lost it against City and Ciaz.

& Finally the winner -

Maruti: Very impressive numbers All doing great, almost. Top 4 are doing exceptional, especially DZire. Doing such numbers in this segment is just unimaginable for others. Only Maruti can do it in India, period. Omni & Eeco are workhorses for them. After today's pricing, not much hopes on s-cross though. Celerio aslo doing good numbers. Ertiga doing great against Mobilio and Lodgy.

Some interesting things we can see this month, after new launches of Jazz, Creta & S-cross, numbers for City, Ciaz, Verna, Duster & Terrano has gone down. EcoSport will also struggle for sure in next few months. So basically people are moving towards new launches i guess. Next few months will confirm this trend.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 20:05   #21
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the Monthly Sales Report. Early awaited.Creta at 6783 units is an impressive start. S-Cross at 1510 is a timid start, but lets see how that number holds up after the pricing was released today which i believe was Greed in the minds of the Maruti Suzuki Management.

Ciaz down to 2099 is a surprise. Wasn't it supposed to challenge the Honda City for supremacy in this segment!. IMHO Duster and Terrano and some C2 sedans are feeling the heat from Creta. Jazz at 6676 even beats the Mighty City.

Last edited by sapeco : 5th August 2015 at 20:13.
Old 5th August 2015, 20:31   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Creta of to a big start. Putting in my post from the Creta thread here as it is more relevant here.

Overall looks like the Creta (and maybe S Cross) effect is hitting the C Segment.
  • City-5181 vs 7187 in June (Partially may be due to production priority for the Jazz)
  • Ciaz-2099 vs 3700 in June
  • Verna-1328 vs 1620 in June (Continues to drop. VW starting to dream of the 3rd spot)
  • Vento-1271 vs 1530
  • Rapid-1024 vs 903 (Only one to have an increase)
  • (Linea, Fiesta, Sunny, Scala-Ignorable double digit numbers)
  • Duster seems to be hit: 1005 vs 2310 in June
  • XUV and Ecosport maintain/increase numbers.
  • With both Creta and SCross pricing on the higher side, I think the C Segmenters will make a comeback soon.

Jazz numbers are high. But I think the reception is not as great as Honda expected. I was at Whitefield Honda today and they have most variants in most colors ready for delivery. Only the V CVT can take up to 2 months.

Would be interesting to see how this pans out over the next few months.

14 units of the Fiesta. I hope this is because they are prioritizing production of the Aspire.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 20:41   #23
BHPian

A few observations after I saw the figures:

-Dzire is performing exceptionally well. It is the largest selling vehicle by good margin since Alto figures include K10 and 800 combined.

-Swift is also selling great and this explains why there are absolutely no discounts on Swift and Dzire. Its another thing I managed a discount of 5800/- on Swift ZXI due to business relationship with the dealer.

-Duster is losing badly to Creta which has bagged phenomenal bookings.

-Ecosport figures are decent since it is a practical and competent vehicle for Indian roads. Figo numbers are expected to go up once the new generation hatchback is launched by Diwali.

-Chevrolet is in deathbed now. They have completed 20 years here and they celebrated it by closing down Halol Plant.I can't see a single vehicle from them bringing decent figures in the upcoming months.

- With NANO being deemed a failure by Ratan Tata himself recently,I don't see much hope with them. People of urban areas abhor the brand since it is not aspirational any more. I checked out the Bolt and the Zest yesterday. Both are good competent cars however they are let down by TATA brand. I believe TATA should rename its passenger division at least in India.

-Toyota is running neck and neck with Mahindra now. Will TUV improve sales for Mahindra? Feel sad to see Indian manufacturers running for cover under onslaught from rivals.
pranjal1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 21:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post

Aspire is not that aspiring and will struggle badly.
Bro, with due respect. Please do not write down the car even before it's launched. The Aspire is a promising car and I am sure it gives some stiff competition in the market. Let's wait and watch.

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 5th August 2015 at 21:14. Reason: Typo corrected
Abhi_abarth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 21:13   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
14 units of the Fiesta. I hope this is because they are prioritizing production of the Aspire.
I am not sure if this temporary. Last month was at a Ford Show room in Chennai to TD EcoSport. Wanted to TD Fiesta and their response wasn't that great. SA told me that they have stopped it. Not sure if that it official.
Old 5th August 2015, 22:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathucider View Post
I am surprised to see a 50% spurt in the sales of the Ritz. Even though a jump to 2000 is nothing for a Maruti car, I am eager to know how this happened. Especially with current thought process considering a very old, cheaper cousin of the Swift. It is due for a Facelift or a phase out, I suppose.

Also do the WagonR sales include the Stingray since I don't see a mention of it. Or has it been discontinued altogether?
Ritz production is due to end or has already ended.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 22:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Where is Ciaz? Not even among top 20. Just as I guessed. Once the novelty wore, Ciaz ,too, looks to follow Baleno, SX4. I'm sure same fate awaits S-Cross. Instead of launching stunning XA Alpha, they chose to launch this ugly car. No matter how much MUL tomtoms, Ciaz is just no match for City. Ciaz sold less than even Indica. In my opinion, Swift is the last exciting product from MUL. I'm awaiting XA Alpha.

BTW, it is indeed very surprising to see Jazz sell almost as many as Creta. Who could have thought that a hatchback in its second innings sold same as an all-new mini-SUV? Duster / Terrano / Ecosport may be down but after seeing Creta's pricing, sales of this trio will definitely climb back.
Old 5th August 2015, 22:22   #28
BHPian

Dzire goes from strength to strength. However I have a feeling there is a lot of contribution of fleet/ taxi sales in this. Recently I have seen a lot of Dzires in Uber and Ola in Mumbai. Assuming that given the lack of service network by competition, Dzire would be the primary choice as a taxi vehicle in smaller cities.

If that is the case then its a huge loss of opportunity for Tata Motors which were known to be a 'taxi' brand. They started to focus exclusively on personal vehicles with their new range of cars and the revolution shifted to taxis. Sometimes whatever they do seems wrong.
vivekz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 22:27   #29
BHPian

Though the new entrant Creta managed a substantial amount, it is less than half the no.of pre-booking announced by Hyundai (They said 18k pre-bookings if I'm not mistaken). There seems to be a lot of cancellations after the price announcement. Also the new Jazz at 6k odd seems to be surprising. I am yet to see one on the road. Next month charts will be even more interesting with the S-corss numbers coming in.
Old 5th August 2015, 22:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

Some observations -
  • Taking nothing away from the Dzire, but it's a fact that Dzire is now the favorite among the cab operators which is contributing to it's huge numbers.Also, the Etios is garnering decent sales thanks again to the taxi/cab operators.
  • I think the Jazz will be a decent success for Honda if not a blockbuster. 6.7K is a very healthy start for the Jazz. We have to wait for a few months to see whether it sustains or not. The I20 is still a far distance away at 10K but that also includes the I20 active I guess. I think Honda should be able to sell 4-5K Jazz per month.
  • I believe Jazz will expand the premium hatchback segment further and will take away sales from the compact sedans like Amaze/Xcent etc. (Dzire is obviously not affected by anything).
  • The C+ segment sedans are facing some pressure I guess due to the compact SUV/crossovers. But now that the Create is priced pretty high and the S-cross is ridiculously overpriced, I guess the sedans will make a comeback. But, it is true that the compact crossover/SUV market is here to stay. If a reputed manufacturer gets a good product in this segment, it will set the sales charts on fire! The Creta is already a blockbuster even if most people in this forum feel it's not VFM.

On a separate note - It seems to me that every car launch results in a strong negative reaction in Team BHP specifically regards to the pricing. It's a question worth asking - are we being overly optimistic in our asks?
For me, the Jazz is decently priced if not extremely VFM (may be 10-20K higher for the top variants), Creta is also decently priced (some variants are overpriced though) and S-cross is overpriced.

Last edited by adimicra : 5th August 2015 at 22:49.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks