Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2016, 10:12   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: 15% discount on new vehicles if you junk your old ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It is good for the automobile industry, no doubt. But for the environment, questionable.
Manufacturing a new vehicle will be accomplished without any pollution?
Agreed. Some years back Tata Cummins which makes engines for trucks, and also collects old ceased engine and provides re conditioned engines for a price in exchange wanted a policy for this, where there would be tax concession for those submitting Euro I engines and collecting Euro III in exchange, as block, piston crank are same right from Euro I onwards but govt had not accepted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakthishanmugam View Post
But I doubt last generation car lovers will scrap the old vehicle because they have an emotional attachment. One of my brother-in-law never sells a vehicle he owned, I still find generation old Luna (moped) at his garage. I own a 1991 Yamaha Rx 100 and for sure I won't scrap it.
It is not compulsary, just an incentive you can avail off if you want to scrap a old vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
With all the viewpoints that i see here i am surprised to not see even one opinion that isnt just a product of public brainwashing.
Fact 2: A brand new diesel vehicle today produces 10-100 times more particulate mater than a good condition euro 2 vehicle.
PM is not the only pollution, there are other pollutants too, blaming it is political, if you do not see smoke it dosent mean smoke doesn't exist. It is only in visible.

Quote:
Fact4: Almost all old gasoline vehicles in delhi run on CNG. Asuming they are not burning oil.....that makes a new diesel vehicle infinetely more polluting in terms of particulate matter(CNG vehicles produce ZERO PM).
CNG is restricted to a few metros in North and west of the country, and one state Gujarat. What about others. CNG also emits nano particles, worst is many of the city buses with CNG, you often see then running with one cylinder missing, this happens for days on end until engine is overhauled, or the bus just refuses to climb a fly over. If you are next to one at a traffic light it really chokes you, in diesels at least the black smoke tells you to keep away, and the bus is also pulled to the workshop at the end of the day.

Quote:
Fact 6: The environmental consequences of adding large quantities of plastics to the environment blow any possible the environmental advantages out of the water. Most of the plastic in this country currently is incinerated. And the gases released, well you guys have no idea what all they can do.

Fact 7:The number of old vehicles is highly over estimated. A large number of the crore vehicles mentioned are already scrapped. the number is of registered vehicles. And most scrap dealers dont submit papers of the scrapped vehicle.

Fact 8:With no standards established for vehicle scrapping, the environmental consequences of scraping a vehicle in our country is far more than letting it run.
Go to a scrap yard and see the colour of the ground. Yeah thats black stuff is toxic motor fluid seeping into the ground. And its estimated, one litre of used motor oil can pollute upto 1 million litres of water.
Totally agree to this.

Fact 9: You must have seen a lot of old diesel vehicles including trucks belching out continuous clouds of smoke. A lot of them have been adjusted(you can adjust the diesel injection pump for this) at local mechanics to increase power by injecting more fuel since they struggle with the rampant overloading goods and people carriers are subjected to. No they arent supposed to pollute that much!

Quote:
BTW, the straight jump to euro 6 isnt a favour the govt is doing to the people. for them euro 5 and 6 are just the same(pretty much the same fuel) They did it because they didnt do their job to meet the long planned target of providing euro5 fuel to the country by 2017. (Euro 5 means Diesel particulate filters means diesel cars produce minuscule amounts of PM)
Any thing above Euro V needed expense to the government as refineries needed upgradation, it is hapening now as crude is at the lowest, and the govt can spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
1. Limit the annual production of new vehicles, set strict limits as to the new ones that can be produced and even then they should have a very high standard of refinement and clear cut technological advances to justify production.
cannot do that just fast forward to Euro IV vehicles as early as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
2. All vehicle makers should retrofit older vehicles with parts to make them less polluting than before.

3. Start giving incentives for older vehicles made green and let there be a strict test every 5 years to determine if the older vehicle is to be continued or not.

Will this work? I wonder.
This is something the government refused in the past.
Old 13th March 2016, 12:00   #47
Senior - BHPian

When can this see the light of the day? Meaning when will this be presented for passing in the parliament?
A lot of people will be waiting for an answer to this, including myself, as to whether this will be passed or rejected.
Old 26th April 2016, 10:42   #48
BHPian

Auto Cos and Govt consider discounts and duty cuts

Saw this in today's newspaper. Sounds interesting. Wish I had not sold my old car already.

Quote:
Auto cos consider discounts to back govt's plan to retire old vehicles

NEW DELHI: As the government works on an incentive scheme to take older polluting cars and commercial vehicles off the roads, the auto industry is considering to offer discounts to those who opt for cleaner vehicles under the proposed green plan.
The government awaits a final report by consultancy firm AT Kearney, which has been appointed to submit an action plan for retiring older vehicles. A person who opts to retire his vehicle will get a certificate from registered scrapyards, which could be used to avail incentives (such as tax rebates) from the government.
"There have been demands from the government that the industry also throw its weight behind this effort and the auto industry is considering the matter. Companies are looking at ways to award customers who opt for new vehicles under the plan and this could be in the form of discounts, which will be over and above the government incentive," a top source said.

The 'voluntary vehicle modernization scheme' is being viewed as a move that will enable the entry of cleaner vehicles, while phasing out the ones that are not environmentally friendly. The move, when implemented, is also expected to create demand for new vehicles as a large number of people with older cars may opt for the change, lured by incentives.
AT Kearney has had a few rounds of discussions with some of the stakeholders and is wrapping up its findings. Sources in the road transport ministry, however, said it may still take about six months to finalize a policy proposal since it involves "huge financial issues".

One proposal is to award incentive in the form of excise duty rebate. "A certificate from an authorized scrappage agency would....

READ THE FULL ARTICLE

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th April 2016 at 17:52. Reason: Replacing with online link
jaunthead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 11:26   #49
BHPian

Re: Auto Cos and Govt consider discounts and duty cuts

So take your running car, waste it, get certified, get discount, get a new car. Looks like scrapyards are going to flourish.

2 generations back an Indian car was meant for at least 10-15 years (& that is just the first owner). Companies can start cutting cost in durability as well!
anoop.nair is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 12:01   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunthead View Post
Saw this in today's newspaper. Sounds interesting. Wish I had not sold my old car already.
Do you think the discounts offered by auto companies in this case would be any different from the exchange bonus? Those who actually take the time out to do the home work and sell the car online would get better value for their car. But many opt to sell the car at the showroom with an exchange bonus to save a lot of work (and the dealers advertise in such a way that, the buyer of new vehicle believes that selling an old car to them with an additional exchange bonus actually is a very good financial deal).
I guarantee you - if we are talking purely in financial terms, the discount and the tax benefits you would get from Governments & Auto Cos would be much lesser than the sales value of your car.

However, if the Government brings any new rule, de-registering all cars > 15 years (or 20 years), then the resale value would drop drastically, making things entirely different.
Right now, since there is no such rule, and you have already sold your car, you have not lost anything!
hybridpetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 13:44   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
I guarantee you - if we are talking purely in financial terms, the discount and the tax benefits you would get from Governments & Auto Cos would be much lesser than the sales value of your car.
That solely depends on the car in question. My car would hardly fetch 50-60k in the market (A Palio). For people like me, this makes much more sense. In fact, even without the incentive from the government, for me it is better to exchange the car for 30k odd, get an exchange bonus of ~30k and avoid the hassle of trying to sell it on my own.
vinit.merchant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 15:14   #52
Senior - BHPian

I guess the 15% discount will be based on the original purchase value of the old car that is set to be scrapped. So, if the car was bought new for 10L, you will get a discount certificate worth Rs.1.5L when you scrap it. Which means that the Govt will value all cars to be worth 15% of their original price after 12 years (or is it 15?). That may be good for some cars and not so much for some others.
Old 26th April 2016, 16:34   #53
Senior - BHPian

Scenario 1: 15% discount is on the original invoice value of the scrapped car.
I scrap a car (say Merc) who's value was 25 L. So discount will be 3.75 L. Which means I can walk into a Maruti showroom and walk out with a free Alto.

Scenario 2: 15% discount is on the invoice value of the new car.
I scrap a car (say 800) who's value was 2.5 L . Now I can walk into a Mercedes showroom and pick up a C Class worth 45 L and avail a discount of 6.75 L.

Now it both cases the manufacturers are loosing out. Maybe the law should state 15% of the original invoice value of the scrapped car or 15% of the invoice value of the new car whichever is lower. Having a fixed discount of 50K like someone suggested would not be feasable as lot of people would not opt for it as the resale would be more than 50K.
pedrolourenco is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 19:13   #54
Senior - BHPian

IF the government is serious about cutting pollution, the first thing they need to do is ENSURE good quality unadulterated fuel. That itself will cure a large part of the problem.

Secondly they should be able to provide 24/7 power supply, which will ensure nobody needs to run diesel gensets for meeting day to day power needs.

Thirdly - ENFORCE proper pollution checks, what is lacking right now, we all know PUC is hogwash.
Old 5th July 2016, 13:44   #55
BHPian

Central Government Plans to Scrap 28 Million 12 Year Old Polluting Cars

To fight the air pollution, On 04/07/16, the central government unveiled a plan of rolling out the incentive based scheme to replace 28 million vehicles registered before 31st March 2005 with BS-IV compliant cars before the supreme court.

Under the scheme, the government plans to have the dedicated area to dispose off their old vehicles and in return would offer incentives to buy a new car. This initiative is also a part of "Voluntary vehicle fleet modernization programme" initiated by the government earlier.

Post implementation, the vehicles registered before 31st March 2005 amounting to about 28 million would have to be replaced / scrapped. Government plans to roll out this Pan India scheme by April 2017.

Further, the government is also likely to consider the implementation of flexi / staggered office timings plans to minimize / control peak movement of vehicles. Diesel vehicles would also be allowed to ply with the fitment of 'particulate filters'

Source : http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...-cars/53049860
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 14:09   #56
BHPian

Re: Central Government Plans to Scrap 28 Million 12 Year Old Polluting Cars

Wonder what would be the impact on used cars market as they are sure to have stockpiles of pre-2005 cars. Incentives to buy new car may not be that lucrative to them.
Old 5th July 2016, 14:38   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this a compulsory scheme, or an incentive based one like the Cash for Clunkers in USA/UK done post recession?

Know that old imported Landcruisers/Patrols and diesel Mercedes Benzes are a drop in the ocean of the vast polluting mass of old diesel vehicles, but compulsory scrapping (if it is) should be replaced by a heavily incentivised scheme.

Would like to believe what @GTO said about India having low vehicle penetration and hence outright banning of old cars won't happen and all.

But when both SIAM and the Governments standing to gain from new vehicle sales, I fear to think otherwise.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 14:41   #58
BANNED

Remember India barring 14 cities (now 40) is still on BS-III. In 2005 when BS-IV came as mentioned there were only 14 cities. Our OMCs were unable to produce fuel for even these 14 cities. Somebody need to be told India is not just the Metros and even more specifically Delhi!

Last edited by navin : 7th July 2016 at 12:20.
sgiitk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 14:58   #59
BHPian

Every Plan needs to be Implemented. Unfortunately in INDIA each and every person is hell bent on putting his own preconceived notions & Big Mouth to use. Without having the least consideration that Goat Mentality is not the way ahead. My words are strong but having stayed in few different countries, i have come to feel its not Politicians but we common people who take the country ahead or behind. This policy is excellent and needs to be implemented properly and only possible when we all believe it can happen.
rajchetan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 15:01   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Remember India barring 24 cities (now 40) is still on BS-III. In 2005 when BS-IV came as mentioned there were only 14 cities. Our OMCs were unable to produce fuel for even these 14 cities. Somebody need to be told India is not just the Metros and even more specifically Delhi!
I thought BS IV came in 2010. As per my understanding the article says 28 million vehicles registered pre 2005 (BS I & II mainly) would be replaced with BS IV under this scheme

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks