Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2015, 18:49   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyankar85 View Post
I am not sure why have they termed it Explore if it doesn't have an AWD variant. I was going through the news reports but all the models seem to be FWD.

The interiors look great though.

That was exactly my thought why limit exploration of the Explore by giving only FWD which has been confirmed BTW.There is no AWD in the Ltd Edition.
Old 3rd September 2015, 19:37   #32
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster Explore (limited edition) launched at Rs. 9.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin11 View Post
XUV Niggles thread is growing day by day and Innova (facelift one or current) may be beyond budget, even though it is a benchmark in space and comfort. You can have a look at the Scorpio, Terrano (still a Duster any way) or maybe consider sedans like Ciaz, Rapid, Linea or City.
What's surprising is that in spite of consistent niggles being reported by XUV owners, the popularity of the vehicle in terms of increased ownership numbers keeps growing. I see so many of them on the road and of the many owners I have talked to, they all are really very happy with their ownership. Their stand is that they have 'Fortuner' type 7 seater true SUV (not a 5 seater compact SUV), with so many creature comforts at such a affordable price (as compared to Fortuner's price).

As for the Innova, I've always said, it is already over priced for the features it provides. But still one of the best sellers due to space & comfort, like you mentioned. Until Toyota has the huge continued support from the taxi segment, they can demand any amount of high price on the Innova and it will still sell in large numbers. Their strategy seems to be sell large numbers of G variants to cab & taxi operators. The private owners will anyways go for the V variant with additional features and charge these V variant customers a high price and make high profits. From a V variant owner's perspective also, in their social circles, it's not like they purchased a 'cheap MUV'. A INR 18L+ V or now even a Z variant, is a 'status symbol' in its own way.
Old 3rd September 2015, 21:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
It would be great if you can put an ownership review or update your ownership cost/experience in the Duster review thread. First time I am seeing someone who has clocked 100K+ in Duster
I will update for sure sir. Just travelled 250 kms today and the duster is as good as it was when I took the delivery of the vehicle. Some problems started due to the clocked kms and Duster has never failed to take me to the destination
Old 3rd September 2015, 23:07   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
What's surprising is that in spite of consistent niggles being reported by XUV owners, the popularity of the vehicle in terms of increased ownership numbers keeps growing....A INR 18L+ V or now even a Z variant, is a 'status symbol' in its own way.
XUV has a lot of planning and thinking gone into it - packing 70% features of the Fortuner at 60% of the price - which clearly is a reason behind the consistent numbers on the sales chart.

But a Mahindra is a Mahindra. One can't expect tons of technology (which is ample in XUV) and reliability at the same time. Not that it is not a reliable vehicle by any chance, but the service people aren't trained for such level of modern gizmos. Mahindra has come out as a synonym for robust, built-to-last and niggle-free vehicle which can eat anything that comes in their way.

I completely agree with every single line that you've mentioned about the Innova. Overpriced but the fact that 'you can never go wrong with an Innova' makes it a worthy purchase even at that premium price. Despite the launch of Lodgy, Evalia, Enjoy and other MPVs targeted for cab owners, they have a seperate place for the Innova.

EDIT - Budget was not specified, that's why I suggested the Innova. No doubt top variant is overpriced.

Last edited by vin11 : 3rd September 2015 at 23:08.
Old 3rd September 2015, 23:51   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjegadeesh View Post
XUV 500 is not as good as it should be even after 3 years of launch lots of niggles to take care of.
My XUV W10 AWD(facelift version) has done 2.5k kms and no niggles till now, I am very happy with the car. Other than notchy gear shift in the lower gears especially second to first, bit of nose dive during braking and unfriendly IPod interface, I have absolutely no trouble with the car.

Take my opinion with a pinch of salt as I upgraded to XUV from an Alto .
Old 4th September 2015, 16:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhirama View Post
Take my opinion with a pinch of salt as I upgraded to XUV from an Alto .
That's a huge upgrade in terms of the size. Coming from the Alto, do you not face any issues in maneuvering within the city especially? Do you find two wheelers giving you space automatically when they see the huge beast beside them?
Old 4th September 2015, 18:47   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangvins View Post
That's a huge upgrade in terms of the size. Coming from the Alto, do you not face any issues in maneuvering within the city especially?
Maneuvering on city roads is not a problem, but I am not an aggressive driver, so your mileage may vary. You have to be careful while navigating the MLCP in malls, I did scrape my vehicle against a wall in one of the tight curves, but that was more to do with me not being careful rather than the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangvins View Post
Do you find two wheelers giving you space automatically when they see the huge beast beside them?
Frankly speaking, I have not been cognizant of this.
Old 9th September 2015, 01:39   #38
BHPian

Hi All

I just visited a showroom in Bangalore to check out the new explore. i always loved the amazon green but it was never available in 2wd. While most of the facelift is only cosmetic, its fully loaded now. The 2 things missing in 110 RxL compared to RXZ is passenger airbag and media nav system.

Renault owners do you think there are good aftermarket media nav available? Sales rep told they can install the renault one for additional cost of 40k, any thoughts?

Couple of pics below (sorry for the angle didnt have too much space)
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster Explore (limited edition) launched at Rs. 9.99 lakhs-image.jpg  

arun.kulkarni is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 08:03   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun.kulkarni View Post
Renault owners do you think there are good aftermarket media nav available? Sales rep told they can install the renault one for additional cost of 40k, any thoughts?
Do you really want to spend that much cash on a navigation unit? Instead I would suggest spending on getting better speakers. For navigation, get a good Garmin unit. Its much better that way.
Old 9th September 2015, 13:22   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Do you really want to spend that much cash on a navigation unit? Instead I would suggest spending on getting better speakers. For navigation, get a good Garmin unit. Its much better that way.
Thanks a lot, this is helpful and I did not think of it that way. Pardon my lack of knowledge, but these units will not have Media options right and the one I might get from Renault will be Media+ Navigation? So with a Garmin unit I will have to fit it somewhere else and use the HU space Primarily for music?
Old 9th September 2015, 16:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot, this is helpful and I did not think of it that way. Pardon my lack of knowledge, but these units will not have Media options right and the one I might get from Renault will be Media+ Navigation? So with a Garmin unit I will have to fit it somewhere else and use the HU space Primarily for music?
Yes, the Garmin device would be a separate piece of equipment which you will have to fix either on the dashboard or the front windscreen, whereas the Renault unit will probably handle both media + navigation.

The advantage of Garmin is cheaper cost (probably about 30-40% of Renault unit), more frequent map updates, easier map updates (can do it from your own PC) and free map updates (not sure if Renault offers free map updates).
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 16:45   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The regular unit is very good. But the car has pathetic speakers. So changing them make a LOT of sense. On the GPS Front front, even I use Garmin. I dont like to mount its stand on a windshield. So I have the Garmin Friction mount. Its like a stand which I put it in the central dash.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Portabl...friction+mount

I dont the GPS unit in the car. I primarily use it only for highways. So when needed, I mount it on the stand and power it up with the charger. Works much better.

The regular headunit has nicely integrated voice (bluetooth) and music, which is more than enough for me. The steering control works well with iPods.

Last edited by ampere : 9th September 2015 at 20:58.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 20:39   #43
BHPian

Ampere is right.You could also go for the Map my India head unit with in built navigation. I paid around 20k for it.Replace the speakers with good components and add a sub.
Only drawback is you wont be able to use the steering controls.You need a separate adapter for that
tomraven99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 02:04   #44

I am in market for new vehicle. This vehicle will be primarily driven on rural roads and will be driven mostly by dad. Hence the requirements:
1. Safety features (ABS+Airbags at least)
2. High GC
3. Diesel
4. Easy clutch(Dad does not like AMT
5. Under 11L OTR
I was waiting for TUV300, took a TD of it and here’s the verdict:
For:
Safety features
Adequate GC
Good interiors
From Mahindra stable hence easy availability of parts
Against:
1. Engine lacks punch. 3 pot motor is just too basic. Not sure how it will hold up in longer run
2. Didn’t quite liked the looks (Subjective)
3. Wooden bench like rear seat
4. Limited boot space. Rear seat folds only on top model. I guess Mahindra folks think customers buying mid and lower variants do not need luggage space.
Yesterday took a thorough TD of Duster 85PS Explore Edition.
For:
1. I quite liked the high GC. Provides take me anywhere capability
2. Outstanding ride quality.
3. Reliable engine. Have seen folks having done 1L kms without any major issues
4. Huge boot. Fold the rear bench and you can carry a washing machine.
Against:
1. No safety features. 85PS Explore edition comes with single Airbag. 110PS has 1 Airbag and ABS+EBD
2. Interiors picked from medieval era
3. No storage space provided for rear seat occupants
IMHO Renault should have provided Airbags and ABS+EBD on 85PS as well. Attaching pic of the brochure (Apologies for poor quality).

Sales rep at Noida dealership had no idea about the launch of next generation Duster. Shall I wait for the new generation Duster or go for existing one (85PS Top variant or 110Explore Edition) in January 2016 when it's raining discounts (Last year discounts went up to 1.5Lacs). Suggestions are welcome.
Thanks for bearing with this lengthy post.
p.s. It is my first post on the forum. Feels great to be here. Finally.
Mods: Please merge with appropriate thread if I’m posting at wrong place.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster Explore (limited edition) launched at Rs. 9.99 lakhs-explore.jpeg  

FOXBAT25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 23:21   #45
BHPian

I'm on the look out to buy a new car in the coming week. After TD's of many vehicles in the budget of around 13L, I have come to point to select any one of these 2

1. Duster 110 Explore Edition
2. Vento Diesel Highline Plus - my earlier car was the same.

both of the above fit my budget. I love the solidity of the VW, but was really thinking of getting myself a high GC vehicle as 4 lane expansion of the road I use often would start in a couple of months. Is the Explore edition a wise choice. need some help to make the decision.
Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks