Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2015, 21:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo gets more features. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 5.23 lakh

These are very nice features, duly turning up late in typical VW style. Wonder why OEMs don't give an upgrade package to owners of previous versions. Surely a mirror swap and a cruise control add-on under warranty would have takers
Old 7th September 2015, 23:13   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

Having said that , I hadn't driven the 3 cylinder extensively until my sister bought it last week. In city driveability I feel is quite good and I feel it is best suited for within city use . It is the top end that suffers, I am not sure about the mid range. But I enjoyed driving it in city with loads of torque in low rpms.
Coming from a Figo petrol in which I need to rev above 3k rpms for some decent speeds, this was totally different.
But I know for sure when I hit the highway, it is going to be straining to do a decent cruise speed.
Petrol 1.2 is not such a bad motor as it is made out to be. (Disclaimer: I own one). Agreed refinement levels compared to competition is poor especially during start when it feels like a diesel.

However, the engine is pretty tractable in city conditions and even speed up to 100-110 after which it feels strained. However, low end torque is good and in most conditions you can move forward just by part releasing the clutch even on flyover inclines.

Coming back to the updated feature list, VW has surely added lots of features over the last 3-4 years but the prices have also climbed up. Still I feel a key gizmo missing is a touch screen infotainment system and a reversing camera at least in the top variants. Cruise control has its advantages for highway munchers but I suspect most Polos spend their time within city limits. For such an audience, these two features would be more important criteria.
vivekz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 10:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Volkswagen has announced the prices of the updated Polo range:
  • Polo 1.2 MPI - Rs. 5,23,500
  • Polo 1.5 TDI - Rs. 6,55,800
  • Cross Polo Petrol - Rs. 7,04,384
  • Cross Polo Diesel - Rs. 8,31,489
  • Polo GT TSI - Rs. 8,41,466
  • Polo GT TDI Rs. 8,41,524

Link to Team-BHP News Article
How times have changed!. When Polo was launched in 2010, it used to cost 5.23 lacs on road in Bangalore. And now we are looking at 5.23 ex-showroom Mumbai.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 16:35   #19
MSC
BHPian

The addition of cruise control is a new step and a segment first. The integrated indicators on ORVM and cooled glove box are seen already.
Now hopefully 4 cylinder engines too should be placed in versions other than GT twins. At same time to make GT twins more appealing, how about a 1.6?
Old 8th September 2015, 17:36   #20
BHPian

Quote:
In city driveability I feel is quite good and I feel it is best suited for within city use.
But I know for sure when I hit the highway, it is going to be straining to do a decent cruise speed.
I've been driving the 3-pot for two years now, and the odo recently crossed 25k kms. The biggest drawback for me when it comes to in-city driving has always been the 2nd gear. I have to downshift to the 1st for almost every speed-breaker and pothole. I can manage it in the 2nd only if I slip the clutch, and I'd rather not do that.

Coming to highway runs, I have done Mumbai-Pune (via the expressway) and Mumbai-Baroda a number of times, and the 3-pot can comfortably cruise at 120-130 kmph all day without breaking a sweat. That is pretty "decent", and any faster would be unsafe anyway. Disclaimer: The 5th gear is strictly for cruising. Even if I decelerate to the 80s, I have to downshift to the 4th to get going again. Which is also why I end up staying in the 4th on the highways (Eastern and Western Express Highways) in Mumbai.

My two cents.
Old 8th September 2015, 18:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
I've been driving the 3-pot for two years now, and the odo recently crossed 25k kms. The biggest drawback for me when it comes to in-city driving has always been the 2nd gear. I have to downshift to the 1st for almost every speed-breaker and pothole. I can manage it in the 2nd only if I slip the clutch, and I'd rather not do that.

Coming to highway runs, I have done Mumbai-Pune (via the expressway) and Mumbai-Baroda a number of times, and the 3-pot can comfortably cruise at 120-130 kmph all day without breaking a sweat. That is pretty "decent", and any faster would be unsafe anyway. Disclaimer: The 5th gear is strictly for cruising. Even if I decelerate to the 80s, I have to downshift to the 4th to get going again. Which is also why I end up staying in the 4th on the highways (Eastern and Western Express Highways) in Mumbai.

My two cents.
My experience in city driving was good. I understand the situation of clutch slipping and I have experienced it as well. But that I felt was because of a short unresponsiveness when flooring the pedal in low rpms. But soon as that is crossed, it picks up quite fast.
I haven't driven on a highway yet since the car is new, will comment after doing so.

My sister comes from a Alto and she felt very much home when driving the Polo due to the similar engine behavior. She hardly shifts to lower gears in city and uses 2nd and 3rd gears like an automatic.
One thing I noticed was, when stuck on an incline like a entrance to a parking lot or a rut , it does not budge with minimal acceleration. In those situations , the engine needs more revs.

But end of the day, I don't feel the 3 cylinder is a negative on the car as much as I thought it would be. I enjoy engine sound and although on this the sound is audible inside almost like a diesel, it is fine by me.

All this is with single or 2 individuals in the car. It may be a different story fully loaded.
Old 8th September 2015, 18:51   #22
BHPian

Just noticed another feature from their website "Opening and closing of windows with key remote" in Comfortline and highline. Not heard of this from other hatchbacks. (Segment first? ) Also does it provide power windows with one touch operation in all 4 windows? Its another good useful feature.
Old 8th September 2015, 18:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizay View Post

Just noticed another feature from their website "Opening and closing of windows with key remote" in Comfortline and highline. Not heard of this from other hatchbacks. (Segment first? ) Also does it provide power windows with one touch operation in all 4 windows? Its another good useful feature.
Technically Vizay, these features have been "Segment Only" rather than segment first for a long time now!!

I am not quite sure if these have been incorporated onto Comfortline now though!!

These have been on Polo/Vento/Rapid for as long as they have been:

- Open/close all 4 windows remotely from the key
- All 4 windows one touch up & down
- Pinch guard on all 4 windows
- Memory lock on doors
- Visual and audible alarm for low fuel, headlights left switched on after taking out the key, hand break engaged while in motion, etc

Absolutely useful and brilliantly thoughtful to say the least.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 8th September 2015 at 19:00.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 19:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Technically Vizay, these features have been "Segment Only" rather than segment first for a long time now!!

I am not quite sure if these have been incorporated onto Comfortline now though!!

These have been on Polo/Vento/Rapid for as long as they have been:

- Open/close all 4 windows remotely from the key
- All 4 windows one touch up & down
- Pinch guard on all 4 windows
- Memory lock on doors
- Visual and audible alarm for low fuel, headlights left switched on after taking out the key, hand break engaged while in motion, etc

Absolutely useful and brilliantly thoughtful to say the least.
Except for Memory lock which I am not sure, all other features are available in the Comfortline. Not sure if it was part of the latest updates or present earlier.

Talking of power windows, is it normal that the winding down and up makes above normal sounds on the Polo?
Old 9th September 2015, 09:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Except for Memory lock which I am not sure, all other features are available in the Comfortline. Not sure if it was part of the latest updates or present earlier.
Hey tharian I am sorry if I managed to confuse you/others with that line.

What I really meant was:

If you press the 'Lock' button on the key fob while one/any of the doors are still ajar/open, the function is stored. So all you have to do, is shut the doors and the car gets locked.

Quote:

Talking of power windows, is it normal that the winding down and up makes above normal sounds on the Polo?
Not sure what you mean by "above normal sounds".

If the car is around a silent place the winding motor of the power windows can be heard, which by the way is quite normal with all cars equipped with power windows buddy.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 9th September 2015 at 09:45.
Old 9th September 2015, 14:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey tharian I am sorry if I managed to confuse you/others with that line.

What I really meant was:

If you press the 'Lock' button on the key fob while one/any of the doors are still ajar/open, the function is stored. So all you have to do, is shut the doors and the car gets locked.
I will try that out and confirm if it is present on the Comfortline.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "above normal sounds".

If the car is around a silent place the winding motor of the power windows can be heard, which by the way is quite normal with all cars equipped with power windows buddy.
I was comparing it with the power windows of my Figo which isn't as loud, hence the query.
Old 9th September 2015, 14:50   #27
BHPian

I don't see a real benefit of having cruise control in India. We don't have proper speed cameras in the first place.

I am about to buy a new hatchback in few months. I am very much tempted by Polo (base variant) for its look, ride and build. However the dealership / service reviews really scared me. Still these things exists (in Pune atleast) ?
Old 9th September 2015, 16:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
I don't see a real benefit of having cruise control in India.
If you take your car to the highways frequently you'll find lot of places where cruise does come into use. On something like 500-1000+ km run, giving the right leg some rest makes a lot of difference.

Since you are from TN, stretches like Villupuram-Trichy-Madurai, Salem-Madurai-Kanyakumari, Krishnagiri-Vellore that are mostly empty. Except for toll, you really don't even need to downshift anywhere

If am in the market today to buy a sub-10L INR car, Polo TDI and GT TDI are high on my radar precisely for cruise control.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 21:00   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If you take your car to the highways frequently you'll find lot of places where cruise does come into use. On something like 500-1000+ km run, giving the right leg some rest makes a lot of difference.

Since you are from TN, stretches like Villupuram-Trichy-Madurai, Salem-Madurai-Kanyakumari, Krishnagiri-Vellore that are mostly empty. Except for toll, you really don't even need to downshift anywhere

If am in the market today to buy a sub-10L INR car, Polo TDI and GT TDI are high on my radar precisely for cruise control.
I agree 100%, I would also add that it is a useful safety feature of sorts. With the powerful engines these days combined with good ride and handling at speed, it is all too easy to go much faster than one realizes. Cruise control on highways helps maintain a safe pace that is easy on the pocket (mileage) too.
Old 11th September 2015, 17:22   #30
BHPian

No wonder, they were giving out huge discounts on the outgoing model.
The New Vento had these features, and the outgoing model was selling 75K cheaper.
We bought the Polo TDI, and we got a discount of 50K + a few more discounts
Happy that the newer model does not have any mechanical changes

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks