Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2015, 12:19   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

*Rumour* - Datsun Go Cross version coming up?

Though not very successful of its recent launches, Datsun is very aggressive in its product portfolio. Now it is eyeing the lucrative Crossover market.

*Rumour* - Datsun Go Cross version coming up?-datsungocrossrendered633927.jpg

Quote:
There have been no further details shared with us but yesterday, at the technical center in Atsugi, we did come across designers working on a digital model of the Go hatchback with flared arches, roof rails, different wheel design et al! If the crossover version does happen, expect it to be launched in other markets as well.
Quote:
Japanese automaker Datsun seems keen on entering various segments in India, including the new crossover market. In a discussion with Vincent Cobee (Corporate Vice President - Global Head of Datsun) earlier today in Yokohama (Japan), it seemed that the company is closely following new trends in the Indian market and will possibly look at creating its presence felt in some of the new emerging segments.
Quote:
The Datsun crossover, if it comes to India, will be the most affordable car in its segment, a segment that has options including Toyota Etios Cross, Volkswagen Cross Polo and Ford Ecosport

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th September 2015 at 15:16. Reason: Typo
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 15:37   #2
BHPian

re: *Rumour* - Datsun Go Cross version coming up?

This is hilarious! Build a moderate car first, then add a third row of seats within almost the same space - that makes an MPV - GO+.
Now, for the same GO, add plastic cladding, roofrails etc, it becomes GO Cross?!
BTW, when is the GO Compact Sedan, GO Mini SUV are arriving?
It can also give a run for money for Tata Ace, as well as Isuzu D-Max at the same time in the commercial segment, if GO Pickup is launched!
Datsun GO has a lot of potential!
I hope this news just stays as a rumour and just an imagination of someone who simply wanted to make fun of GO!

Last edited by hybridpetrol : 4th September 2015 at 15:41.
hybridpetrol is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 15:01   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: *Rumour* - Datsun Go Cross version coming up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Now, for the same GO, add plastic cladding, roofrails etc, it becomes GO Cross?!
Notice how we see cross versions only for slow moving products like the Polo, Liva & Punto. Reason? It's a good way to bring a spurt of sales, even if that's only temporary. Lets say an automaker is facing rising inventory problems or is about to miss his targets. A cross version hardly takes any effort to design & build. For a car like the Punto, an additional 500 sales (from the Avventura) still means a hike of 30 - 35 crores in turnover.

Hyundai was smart - they saw that the Elite i20 has 6 month long waiting ques, with some dealers / agents charging a premium for quick delivery. In comes their 'tatkaal' edition, the i20 Active. Variant to variant, it was priced 1 - 1.5 lakh over the Elite i20. Why let the dealer / broker make a quick buck when you yourself can ?
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 16:10   #4
BHPian

This is seriously interesting! I mean Go Cross is a shear brilliance and its entry to cross segment will set charts on fire!
I would really like to meet those customers who will buy this car! Sorry SUV!
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 18:45   #5
MSC
BHPian

This is going to be interesting. A failed car produced a failed MPV which is now going to produce a cross version. Instead of creating imaginative products, Datsun should focus on current offerings. Cost cutting doesn't means that you go to extent of chopping the glove box as well. Neither it means an exhaust tail pipe which stops rattling only when engine is switched off.
Cost cutting factors plus the NCAP crash report led to downfall of Datsun brand.
Old 5th September 2015, 19:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is exactly what I thought!

I would not only want to meet those customers who will buy this car but who bought GO+ too.
But at the same time don't we have hordes of people buying Omni which is a benchmark in diver/passenger safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
I would really like to meet those customers who will buy this car! Sorry SUV!
Old 5th September 2015, 19:53   #7
BHPian

Errrr...what about Datsun Go+ cross?
Old 5th September 2015, 20:29   #8
BHPian

Just the other afternoon I went to a local mall and there was a Maroon Datsun Go Plus displayed with a bunch of leaflets and brochures on a makeshift table. No one gave a second glance to the vehicle as were the disinterested salesmen themselves.
They should rather find a job at the top selling car showrooms keep themselves busy.

The exteriors doesn't look cheap at all, looks sharp, not very awkwardly proportioned - in fact I liked it but the interiors reminded me of the erstwhile Renault Logan and looked all right and hardy.

Agreeing on the skewed safety aspects of the vehicle as discussed here - but this definitely feels more upmarket and worth a consideration than say an Eeco with similar specifications and price.

Last edited by ciddharth : 5th September 2015 at 20:31.
Old 5th September 2015, 21:20   #9
BHPian

I still remember one of my clients approaching me for a car loan and when I asked him to provide the quotation I was surprised to see him select the Go Plus. I tried to persuade him for at least the Ertiga but he said that Go Plus is the cheapest 7 seater in the market. Finally financed it in February
Old 29th September 2015, 07:45   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Datsun’s fourth product which will be a crossover will be unveiled at the upcoming 2016 Auto Expo as the GO-CROSS or the GO-X

Quote:
This will be launched in 2017 and will be based on the new CMF-A platform that Renault and Nissan have jointly developed. The first product from this platform is the newly launched Kwid.

http://motoroctane.com/news/19288-da...er-exclusive-2
Old 29th September 2015, 09:14   #11
BHPian

Two points:
1) If they are building the car on a new platform, and not based on Go, they can do away with this Go-X name for this.
2) If the car is built on a same platform which also shares Kwid, can it be a crossover? If adding plastic cladding and roof rails will convert a car into a crossover, Kwid has several such accessories listed already, which will convert Kwid into a Kwid-Cross, that too after market! If this Go-X will have more GC, even Kwid's GC stands at 180mm!

Datsun, as a budget brand, has been challenging unusual vehicles, for its price tag from beginning. For instance, Go plus directly challenged Innova, and then announced free gold to clear stock. Now, if launched Go-Cross will challenge S-Cross!
Old 15th October 2015, 10:02   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Datsum don't seem to be deterred by the poor response to their cars. As per this report, they may be working on a compact sedan

Quote:

Now, it seems that plans are being chalked out of a new compact sedan to come for the Datsun brand too. This will be based on the CMF-A platform and a lot of things are already in place for this.Renault and Datsun both will be sharing the CMF platform and Renault has already announced that it is in the works for a compact sedan too. Datsun has also taken a similar route and could be introducing a compact sedan mostly by 2017.
Source: Motoroctane
Old 15th October 2015, 12:28   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Notice how we see cross versions only for slow moving products like the Polo, Liva & Punto. Reason? It's a good way to bring a spurt of sales, even if that's only temporary.
The picture is truly hilarious. But, I doubt Datsun would do a similar cross job.

The redi - go concept was supposed to be the low cost Datsun crossover, and is the brand's equivalent of the Renault Kwid. The concept version was displayed at the auto expo and we had covered it -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3365054

*Rumour* - Datsun Go Cross version coming up?-01dsc00870.jpg

Amid all the fun and jokes, I would suggest not to dismiss this news. If this is actually the redi-go that is being designed (and the OP mistook it for a Datsun Go crossover), then we are looking at another game changer (If it can succeed at even 50% of what Renault did) of the Indian Automotive industry.
Old 15th October 2015, 15:14   #14
BHPian

Another few GO possibilities:
a) GO-O - GO Open top. Can be covered with a soft top manually if required. Car cover will be provided as an accessory for this purpose as an accessory
b) GO- - GO Minus. Two door GO. Last row can be used at the cost of bootspace.
c) GO-GT - Added 5 bhp and 10 Nm to the current configuration
d) GO-AMT - Why leave AT here? Introduce AMT in all possibibilities!
e) GO-sedan - Add a boot, sedan is ready!
f) GO-offroader - 20 inch rims, with 245mm tyres on the same GO. GC increased to 182 mm.

What else? I guess enough of Datsun fun, with existing models itself now they have gold equivalent of jewellery to clear the stock!
hybridpetrol is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 14:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Lets say an automaker is facing rising inventory problems or is about to miss his targets. A cross version hardly takes any effort to design & build. Why let the dealer / broker make a quick buck when you yourself can ?
GTO, this thread can better be closed, allowing co-members to make fun of a product to this extent should not be promoted on teambhp.com.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks