Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2019, 16:23   #271
BHPian

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasha View Post
I understand that it won't be possible to register or register BS IV vehicle once the ban sets in. But , will it be possible to transfer the ownership of a BS IV car post-ban? In other words , can one buy a pre-owned BS IV legally ?
I just sold my Scorpio (would complete 10 years in July 2019), so can share my 'seller' experience

1) Don't wait till the last minute to sell, there is a sharp price drop in the resale market in the last year (I made this mistake)

2) Delhi RTO will not issue a NOC for transfer if the car has less than 2-3 months left for 10 year completion. This I heard from various agents and contacts, not sure how accurate it is. Cars24 declined to purchase my vehicle stating that, it had less then 3 months left to complete the 10 year period and Delhi RTO will not issue a NOC. They were offering to purchase it for scrap value.

3) 10 year period is calculated from the manufacturing date and not registration date.
ukoul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 16:42   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

Quote:
I understand that it won't be possible to register or register BS IV vehicle once the ban sets in. But , will it be possible to transfer the ownership of a BS IV car post-ban? In other words , can one buy a pre-owned BS IV legally ?
Diverging from the other Delhi-specific reply you just received a while earlier - in your context (for Kerala, as your profile suggests), transferring a BS IV vehicle to your name will be allowed. Hell, there are still BS II and BS III standard used cars (such as Toyota Qualis) still being traded and bought in Indian cities outside of the NCR area. I bought a used BS III A-Star here in Chennai last year.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 09:34   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
What would be the advantage in buying a BS6 ready car when compared to a non BS6 ready car ?
I have exactly the same question, and have tried to find some answers on this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
My question is what is in it for the consumers ? Is there a chance that manufactures will come up with kits that can convert our non BS6 cars to BS6 ?
No advantage for the consumer / buyer. There will be no kit. Once registered as a BS-IV vehicle, it will remain so till the end.
Quote:
But , will it be possible to transfer the ownership of a BS IV car post-ban? In other words , can one buy a pre-owned BS IV legally ?
Yes. Once a city goes BS-VI, one can still buy/sell BS-IV / BS-III vehicles registered in that city / state (provided the car has not been de-registered). Transfers from another state to that city / RTO will not be possible, unless registering such a vehicle is permitted.

For example:
a. A DL-reg BS-III car can undergo transfer of ownership within Delhi, so long as it has not been de-registered (10 years for diesels, 15 years for petrols).
b. The same DL-reg BS-III car's transfer of ownership can also happen to a city / RTO that permits registring of BS-III vehicles (for e.g. to Guwahati, but not to Kolkata).
c. A non-DL-reg BS-III vehicle cannot be re-registered in DL, but a BS-IV vehicle can be re-registered in DL (subject to the 10/15 year rule).
d. Once DL is BS-VI only, the same rules will apply for BS-IV vehicles - BS-IV vehicles within Delhi can be bought and sold, or transferred out to other places which allow BS-IV, but non-DL-reg BS-IV cars cannot be re-registered in DL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukoul View Post
I just sold my Scorpio (would complete 10 years in July 2019), so can share my 'seller' experience

1) Don't wait till the last minute to sell, there is a sharp price drop in the resale market in the last year (I made this mistake)
I sold my BS-III Scorpio too in February 2019 (would complete 10 years in August 2019) to a buyer in Punjab. Buyers within Delhi are just not interested to buy a car that has less than 2-3 years of effective life left.
Quote:
2) Delhi RTO will not issue a NOC for transfer if the car has less than 2-3 months left for 10 year completion. This I heard from various agents and contacts, not sure how accurate it is. Cars24 declined to purchase my vehicle stating that, it had less then 3 months left to complete the 10 year period and Delhi RTO will not issue a NOC. They were offering to purchase it for scrap value.
That is not true. RTOs in Delhi will accept NOC applications upto 30 days before the 10/15-year deadline expires. It's an online application, with the buyer's ID, address proof and RTO information required before they'll process the application, and issue the NOC in 30 days' time.
Quote:
3) 10 year period is calculated from the manufacturing date and not registration date.
True.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 11:17   #274
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I have exactly the same question, and have tried to find some answers
I am not sure what engines will survive after 1 April next year. By going in for BS-VI you ensure the 'mill' be still there after 1 April.

Rest is a matter of taste.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 11:55   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

I am not sure what engines will survive after 1 April next year.
Rest is a matter of taste.
I'm sorry, but I didn't quite understand you there?! BS-IV engines sold today cannot be scrapped a year later in 2020 just by a government / court order...
Old 23rd May 2019, 13:35   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BS-IV engines sold today cannot be scrapped a year later in 2020 just by a government / court order...
Yikes! That's a scary thought.

But I reckon that a national vehicle scrapping policy along with a stop of renewing registrations for BS II and BS III vehicles is something that'll logically follow once BS VI rolls out nationally. Something along the lines of Obama's "Cash for clunkers" scheme would really entice old car owners to part with their rides. But as you said, a guy who's 2019 BS IV car is virtually spanking new in 2020 shouldn't be penalized!
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 14:13   #277
BHPian

Pardon me if this has been asked already.
I'll need to renew the RC of my car (Santro Xing), which will complete 15 years in 2020. Does anyone know if it's permitted post April 2020?

The city in question is Pune.
Old 23rd May 2019, 18:30   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Does anyone know if it's permitted post April 2020?

The city in question is Pune.
Yes its permitted.

NGT orders of scrapping 15 yrs old petrol cars are only applicable in NCR.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 18:58   #279
BHPian

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I didn't quite understand you there?! BS-IV engines sold today cannot be scrapped a year later in 2020 just by a government / court order...
- Car dealers can't sell new BS4 vehicles beyond 1st April 2020.

- Any car sold before April 2020 will be allowed to run freely and smoothly for 10 years or 15 years registered life depends on NCR or pan India.

- Resale of BS4 will be affected as those vehicles are needed to be scrapped after 10 or 15 years after registered life.

- It is also true that unsold vehicles will be offered with heavy discounts by the dealers to clear stocks before April 2020.

Venkatesh.H
Old 23rd May 2019, 19:03   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.H View Post
- Resale of BS4 will be affected as those vehicles are needed to be scrapped after 10 or 15 years after registered life.
There is no clarity whether BS-VI vehicles will be allowed to operate beyond the 10-/15-year deadline which is applicable to BS-IV vehicles today.
Old 23rd May 2019, 19:17   #281
BHPian

Quote:
There is no clarity whether BS-VI vehicles will be allowed to operate beyond the 10-/15-year deadline which is applicable to BS-IV vehicles today.
- There is no clarity about govt allowing BS6 compliant vehicles to run beyond 10 - 15 years.

- But BS6 engines will be following stringent emission norms and produce lesser emission. Hence we can safely assume that govt will allow BS6 vehicles to run more than initial registered life.

Venkatesh.H
Old 23rd May 2019, 19:29   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.H View Post
- But BS6 engines will be following stringent emission norms and produce lesser emission. Hence we can safely assume that govt will allow BS6 vehicles to run more than initial registered life.
That is perhaps a fallacious assumption given that we have this (Government mandates that BS6 compliant vehicles should be able to run on BS4 fuel too). In another 5 years, we would be looking at equal or worse pollution despite having introduced BS-VI norms, and the current government may well mandate that all LMVs will need to be scrapped at the end their initial registration period (commercial vehicle owners have far more clout with the government, and they might well be excused for 20 years as is being done at present - i.e., starting 2020, CVs registered before 2000 will need to be scrapped).

One of the quickest ways to find out about this would be, if diesel BS-VI vehicles (especially in the NCR region) continue to have a lifetime tax (LTT) period of 10 years as is happening now, or 15 years as was the norm earlier.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 23:23   #283
BHPian

Quote:
[url="https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/194529-government-mandates-bs6-compliant-vehicles-should-able-run-bs4-fuel-too.html"]

One of the quickest ways to find out, if diesel BS-VI vehicles (especially in the NCR region) continue to have a lifetime tax (LTT) period of 10 years as is happening now, or 15 years as was the norm earlier.
Thanks for sharing ''govt mandate for car makers to manufacture BS6 cars to suit BS4 fuel''.

- Using BS4 fuel in BS6 engine alone will not do any good in reducing pollution.

- Fully agree to your views about what will happens to BS6 vehicles in NCR region 10 or 15 years will decide possible extension of BS6 vehicles beyond registered life.

Venkatesh.H
Venkatesh.H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 10:00   #284
BANNED

Quote:
No. But if they do not survive 2020 then spares, repairs, etc. will become difficult and expensive. So in many ways a BS-6 ready car will be better.

Last edited by navin : 24th May 2019 at 15:59. Reason: typo
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 17:45   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Hi shasha,
In case of ownership transfer, no registration is required if it's happening within the same state. So it will be possible to buy and sell pre- owned cars.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks