Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2006, 10:42   #1
BHPian

Why do some cars have a single reversing light???

Dear BHPians,
I always wanted to ask this question that why do some cars have a single reversing light? Does it have any legal, aesthetic, scientific or an economical reason? Many american/european cars have a single reversing lamps and in india the very first ford ikons and the new Indica(?) has a single reversing lamp... Can anybody pls comment on this????
salilpawar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2006, 11:33   #2

Well thts because there is provision for a rear fog light. The company has not fitted it in themselves. Makes no sense to me for the companies to keep such a feature in Bangalore and other cities with decent weather, rather have it fitted specially for hill stations etc. And also skoda octavia has a rear fog light too which is red(one of the brake lights becomes bright) not the reverse light which i think makes more sense too!!
Old 15th September 2006, 12:15   #3
BHPian

I really wonder where all the money these companies say being spent on "R&D" goes to! in their pockets!!!? with such "suppandi" kinda mistakes they make on their cars! and worst thing, when some other company has come out with a better idea, they still stick to theirs!!!

The Ford Icon is one which used to come with single reverse light, i remember, but cant recall seeing the new indica with this thing.
Old 15th September 2006, 13:07   #4
BHPian

I've seen this single reverse lamp in the Indica too! Initially, I thought of it as a one-of case. But later, I saw more an more Indica V2 (new model) with a single reverse lamp. In fact, if you look closely, the bulb holder exists, but no bulb in it! Looks more like Tata's forgotten to plug in that bulb
Old 15th September 2006, 13:57   #5
BHPian

European rule dictates that there must be at least one reversing light and one rear fog light. Now to meet that standard, car manufacturers can either provide 2x2 such lights (thus increased cost) or just provide 1x2 to save the law (and reduce the cost).

I personally feel it is stupid idea. There can be no rear fog light and two reversing lights should be given. It's pity that now Indian manufacturers have also started doing the same.
Old 15th September 2006, 19:43   #6
BHPian

it just looks weird..and is quite illogical here..ive heard people saying one of your reverse lights is not working.. its the same on the honda vtec..and its clearly visible too..atleast in other cars its not visible !
Old 15th September 2006, 19:52   #7
BHPian

Its a known method how to rig the rear fog lamp in the XETA or Turbo and have them function as 2 reverse lamps, I'm just wondering-Will it void electrical warranty just incase you rig it, I asked at a TASC and response was It will !, But if its the Europe Thing...My Uno did have 2 lamps..!
Old 16th September 2006, 08:50   #8
BHPian

why r da manufacturers so greedy when it comes to providing a simple but useful bulb? Are bulbs really that expensive? The same theory goes with the LHS rear view mirrors.........
Old 18th September 2006, 18:01   #9
BHPian

[SIZE=2]Yeah guys, my Turbo Indica too has just one reverse lamp, its the DLX version but still.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Was asking the dealer guys if it was possible to just put in a bulb, he said yes, but the entire wiring had to be done for it!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Dont know if the wiring for a fog lamp is there though, and we can just fix a bulb.[/SIZE]
Old 18th September 2006, 18:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

saving money ( remember the airliner who saved $$$ by not giving olive in their onboard meal? ) , and they can say that the next one up version has more added features!
Old 18th September 2006, 18:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ok. The ACCORD has the same issue.

When one turns On the Rear Fog lamp, only the Right side rear light turns on. This is the part on the inner sides of the rear lamps (towards the No. plate).

I initially thought this was a problem but was shocked when Honda told me this is the way its supposed to be. !! I'm like .. just put an extra bulb dude ... but seems that not possible. So the Left side extended rear-lamp is just for show it seems.

Now I just don't turn it on lest people think my LHS bulb is fused !!
Old 18th September 2006, 20:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Indica V2 comes with this "feature"....
Many of my folks pointed out the "fused" reverse lamp and laughed at it when they came to see my new car (when it was new). So I asked the service guys to put a bulb on it....and it was done for Rs EIGHTEEN only.

Turbo_freak, are you reading this?

The Indica comes completely pre-wired, and all you have to do is just put in a bulb.

LHS ORVM costs you Rs 1200 or so that is saving for them.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 18th September 2006 at 20:54.
Old 9th October 2006, 12:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas
The Indica V2 comes with this "feature"....
Many of my folks pointed out the "fused" reverse lamp and laughed at it when they came to see my new car (when it was new). So I asked the service guys to put a bulb on it....and it was done for Rs EIGHTEEN only.

Turbo_freak, are you reading this?

The Indica comes completely pre-wired, and all you have to do is just put in a bulb.

LHS ORVM costs you Rs 1200 or so that is saving for them.
I read you loud and clear sandeep. Thanks much!
So the service guy i guess was just plain lazy to make an effort for Eighteen bucks.

But i guess i might as well put in a rear fog lamp, if one can do that.

Is yours the Turbodiesel too??
Old 9th October 2006, 13:59   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Cost cutting while ensuring compliance with ARAI mandate of minimum 1 reverse light.
Old 9th October 2006, 15:56   #15
BHPian

Years ago, when the Ikon was launched, I read it in the newspapers that "the Ikon would have only one reversing light to keep costs down"! What a load of crap.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks