Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2006, 20:44   #16
BHPian

saw a Scorpio and Safari battle out in the dirt and the Scorpio showed whose the boss off road.
But still 10L is way too high. in pune many are used as airport taxis to sahar so 10L wont create the buyers. its just like Sumo and Sumo Victa turbo.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 16th September 2006 at 20:46.
Old 16th September 2006, 20:53   #17
BHPian

Brunei!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee
Dude, where is Seria Brunei? Man! Team-Bhp is going places!
hi, Brunei is 2 hrs flight from singapore..
juz have a look at this forum...

.it has some interesting cars and some of them we cant see anywhere else!
Old 17th September 2006, 21:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u
saw a Scorpio and Safari battle out in the dirt and the Scorpio showed whose the boss off road.
Guess you have not read a team-bhpians adventure.I cant find the exact thread.
Old 17th September 2006, 22:00   #19
Team-BHP Support

To sell scorpio at 10L it needs the following
1. Front seat space
2. Middle row space
3. Comfortable seating for atleast 2 at the last row
4. Character
5. 4 wheel drive
6. More powerful engine.

Handling is not important to sell cars in India. The 10L Suv Buyer wants a large thing which excludes character and is powerful and gives comfort.

Except for power, scorpio fails in everything else
Old 17th September 2006, 23:09   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Current scorp with any number of changes at 10 lakhs wont sell. They HAVE to release a new platform because the Scorpio name is equated to economy price tags.
I agree with him... i don't get how people are going to differentiate it...
atleast they must change the name ... they can't push the same piece of pie for the more price... i guess its time make a revolutionary change like in the honda city...
Old 18th September 2006, 00:26   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

THis would definitely cannibalize the exisitng Scorpio. It may not be a bad idea for Mahindra to phase out the current Scorpio and stick with this new SUV line
Old 18th September 2006, 11:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

What if they sell the CRDe and the new 140bhp AVL side by side but with 2 price tags and some addons?
Old 18th September 2006, 21:57   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum
I agree with him... i don't get how people are going to differentiate it...
atleast they must change the name ... they can't push the same piece of pie for the more price... i guess its time make a revolutionary change like in the honda city...
it is sure luck that the new city was accepted in India
lookswise the old city is gr8.

Qualis is another eg.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 18th September 2006 at 21:59.
Old 30th September 2006, 21:50   #24
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u
it is sure luck that the new city was accepted in India
lookswise the old city is gr8.

Qualis is another eg.
luck had nothing to do there bro...it was VFM.
Old 2nd October 2006, 18:38   #25
BHPian

I agree with others that the Scorpio will need a new platform to sell at Rs.10L.
Right now, the design looks pretty cheap both exterior and interior and the fake hood scoop doesn't do any good at all.

This is what I would like to see in a Rs.10L Scorpio:

1) Bigger size: Comparable mid seat comfort to the Safari and better leg room for the third row. Definitely the chassis needs to be extended for this. The vehicle needs to get a little bit wider for better hip room.

2) An upscale exterior front end with matching rear end. Get rid of the "laughing grill" and make it all elegant chrome (like in Grand Vitara but add a few vertical chrome elements). Right now, the head lights are out of proportion in the front end. Need the front end to be more aerodynamic too. Move the spare wheel underbody and get a hatch that opens up.

3) Instrument panel. I think the new Jeep Commander in the US has a very good IP. Copy some of the details and add on a MID. (Optitron anyone!)

4) ABS, Traction Control and EBD. A selectable 4x4 available more widely.

5) the 140HP engine.

For me, the Scorpio tries to compete with the Safari and is falling miserably short in many areas. Mahindras need to fix that, but I don't think they're going to. This revision I think is going to be an also ran.

Last edited by THE-U- : 2nd October 2006 at 18:42.
Old 2nd October 2006, 19:22   #26
BHPian

M&M will need to work real hard if they are planning to sell the scorp at 10L
IMHO M&M shud keep the present scorp and introduce a new car which will be more justifiable to the general public
Old 2nd October 2006, 19:51   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U-
Move the spare wheel underbody and get a hatch that opens up.
Guess I must've been sleeping. Anyway, they already do this in the current version.
Old 2nd October 2006, 20:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

more than specs and actualy performance that the "new scorpio " can deliver, there are some companies who are slotted/branded in certain segments in various markets. in india, a FORD, HYUNDAI or even a TATA can probably never sell a luxury car despite the car being really good on specs or performance. look at the fate of the MONDEO or the SONATA...the only expensive car TATA is selling is the SAFARI primarily bcos it started life alone in this segment. while the SAFARI now sells in the few hundreds of units in a month, SCORPIO sells over 3000 units every month. unless Mahindra are able to collaborate with some international brand and co brand the "10 lakh SUV" theres no way our people are going to put in that kind of money on a MAHINDRA brand. they would rather put in twice that money on a 20 year old design called the PAJORO 2.8 bcos of the brand connotations. so brand conscious is the car market that it has made even the TATAs invest so heavily on motor racing...why else do u think TATA is putting in so much money on F1 and other motorsports when it has no where near even a performance saloon in its line up...? bcos its been stuck with this downmarket image that it simply is not able to command the premium that even a HYUNDAI gets in its cars in India...no matter how better the INDICA gets, out ppl will still wont be willing to pay more than a given amount..hence the only way is to build the brand this way...(sorry slightly off topic !!)
Old 2nd October 2006, 22:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Seriously....ppl would say...."if iam getting an innova in 8Lakhs which is a better car than the scorpio then why not go for that...and if the scorpio will be 11lakhs on road mumbai why not go in for the crv....much better in all aspects...
Old 2nd October 2006, 23:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan
bcos its been stuck with this downmarket image that it simply is not able to command the premium that even a HYUNDAI gets in its cars in India...no matter how better the INDICA gets, out ppl will still wont be willing to pay more than a given amount..hence the only way is to build the brand this way...(sorry slightly off topic !!)
I think this is faulty logic. While there is certainly some truth to this thinking, VFM is a big thing anywhere. If Scorpio can come up with a fabulous interior and all the toys that innova has and provide better performance with a standard 4x4 then they would be successful. If Mahindra expects to sell a Rs.10L Scorpio, it should have all the features and fit and finish of the Rs.15L Honda CR-V. My only surprise is that why are Indian car companies other than TATA not able to do that? If the quality is on par or above that of the competition one can easily turn things around. I would take the Safari anyday over the Pajaro 2.8 although the Safari interior is not upto the mark.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks