Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What is the top influencer in choice of car color?
Ease of maintenance 123 19.46%
Based on model to color suitability 340 53.80%
Superstition 7 1.11%
Family decides. No personal choice 49 7.75%
Has to be a specific color. No compromise. 69 10.92%
Depends on availability. Most colors work 27 4.27%
Any Other (Please Specify) 17 2.69%
Voters: 632. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2018, 10:55   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: What influences your choice of car colour?

Voted for Ease of maintenance.

Two major aspects are ease of maintenance and summer. I love a shining black car but a black car is a nightmare in summer. Red and blue are very hard to maintain. I always avoid white. My preferred colours are silver and light grey. IMO, these colours are classy and easy to maintain.

Last edited by SJM1214 : 19th March 2018 at 11:10. Reason: Minor Change.
Old 19th March 2018, 10:57   #107
BHPian

Wife...I didnt have any choice
Uprasenjit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 14:05   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Not red though, thanks!
Sometimes, one's words come back to bite one, after some years. So I now have a red Thar. Technically not quite mine, since my wife is the owner.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 16:09   #109
BHPian

Purely Model to Color suitability

For eg, We had the Aquarius Blue Fiesta S, which looked gorgeous. A similar shade of Blue (Cerulean Blue) on Vitara Brezza however, is a no-no for everyone in my family.

Most of our cars has been in the so called "brochure cover" colors. Manufacturers choose to advertise the color they think works best, and we agree mostly.

Some of the exceptions have been due to urgent requirement. Had to choose between colors available readily.

History
1. Hyundai Santro -> Golden Beige
2. Maruti Versa -> Silver
3. Ford Fiesta TDCi -> Silver/Beige-ish color, dont remember the name
4. Fiat Punto -> Exotica Red
5. Ford Fiesta S -> Aquarius Blue
6. Chevrolet Sail U-VA -> Sand Drift Grey
7. Maruti Ertiga -> Cherry Red shade, forgot the name
8. Hyundai Elite i20 -> Passion Red
9. Suzuki S-Cross -> Nexa Blue

Last edited by ts1506 : 19th March 2018 at 16:14.
Old 19th March 2018, 16:35   #110
BHPian

I don't get this idea of buying the dull/boring/bland hues of white, silver etc just because they are easy to maintain. While color is a personal choice and subjective too, and I agree that some cars look good in silver/white, but none of the mass-market cars look best in these colors (among the palette of colors available as a choice).

During foggy winter mornings up north (e.g. in NCR), it feels gloomy looking out of your car window (standing on a traffic signal) and see a sea of gloomy white and silver color cars all around (and it is dangerous too on highways from visibility point of view) . It feels there is no color left in this world.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 16:42   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
I don't get this idea of buying the dull/boring/bland hues of white, silver etc just because they are easy to maintain. While color is a personal choice and subjective too, and I agree that some cars look good in silver/white, but none of the mass-market cars look best in these colors (among the palette of colors available as a choice).

During foggy winter mornings up north (e.g. in NCR), it feels gloomy looking out of your car window (standing on a traffic signal) and see a sea of gloomy white and silver color cars all around (and it is dangerous too on highways from visibility point of view) . It feels there is no color left in this world.
I have observed this in Delhi / Chandigarh. Go to a parking lot and you see only white / silver. In Bangalore, I see the best range of colors for cars from the Polo red to the vRS Blue to the Custom Ignis.

I think South as a region is more color friendly, just look at the buses down south. Very well painted. Was amazed when I saw these buses.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 16:57   #112
Senior - BHPian

I usually go for the car colour in their advertisements! That's usually the best iteration from the designer's point of view. But in Bangalore dust, I feel White is very easy to manage and Gray, really difficult. I also take a consensus from family members and we argue till the cows come home. In my opinion - Red belongs to Polo, Orange to XUV, Blue to Nexon, Dark Blue to BMW, White to Mercedes, Black to Compass, Silver to Skoda ... and so on
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 20:22   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I usually go for the car colour in their advertisements! That's usually the best iteration from the designer's point of view. But in Bangalore dust, I feel White is very easy to manage and Gray, really difficult. I also take a consensus from family members and we argue till the cows come home. In my opinion - Red belongs to Polo, Orange to XUV, Blue to Nexon, Dark Blue to BMW, White to Mercedes, Black to Compass, Silver to Skoda ... and so on
I am going to buy Honda City and slightly confused between Silver and Steel (dark grey) colors with Golden brown also not looking bad either. So, you see how slightly confused I am

Don't want to go for white as it is so much common even though City looks elegant in White.

But after reading your post I searched for Honda City commercial to see what color they used there. Watched the following videos on YouTube (both almost 2 years apart):

and

And in both, it seems, they used dark grey color and it actually looks nice. The cons may be that scratches are more prominent on darker shades. However, possibly chrome would look better on this color.
Old 13th March 2019, 23:45   #114
BHPian

Voted "Any Other". I love unique/different car colours that will still look fresh after years. My father's Maruti 800 was a metallic light purple that still looked great after 16 years of poor maintenance. When I got it detailed in its 13th year, people asked me if it was repainted! For my 2018 Ford EcoSport, I chose the bronze colour (officially called Canyon Ridge), as it looked different and really dashing. Although not all unique colours look good! I've seen a pink Zen Estillo in our office parking that looks hideous! Even the new Aquamarine colour on the XUV300 doesn't appeal to me.
Old 14th March 2019, 00:02   #115
BHPian

Although I've voted for "Based on model to color suitability", I'm a sucker for black cars. That being said, there are two exceptions. I think the Race Blue on the Skoda Octavia vRS looks smashing, and so does the Red Rage on the Mahindra Thar. Therefore, my opinion does vary ever so slightly based on the model
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 01:24   #116
Senior - BHPian

I opted for White on my 2014 Terrano as I felt that car looked bigger and elegant at the same time in this particular color. Though I am not buying a car in immediate future but I am kind of stucked with the mental thought that my next car also has to be white. It is some weird idea about building a all white garage. Even when I like some different color on a particular car, I kinda wrestle with myself to convince me that white would be better.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:08   #117
BHPian

Some points to consider:

-When we went for the Swift ZXi variant in 2007, my mom wanted the Ozone Blue colour. We had booked one of the rarest variant-colour combo. The ZXi variant itself had a long waiting period due to low demand (and HUGE demand for the VXi and VDi variants. The waiting period for the combo was 3 months. My dad asked her to change the colour. But she put her foot down (I’m glad- it does look very nice!) and we welcomed home the car on 7 July 2007 (after lot of follow-ups with the dealer and many calls).

- My dad purchased the Maruti 800 in 1999 in white. There were not many colour choices and white was anyway a generic colour. Here he did not have any specific requirements of colour.

- When he purchased the Forester in 2004, he said the silver looks the best (I agree). The red did not look good with that silver plastic cladding and my family is against black (general superstition ) I heard that there was a blue and pink colour also offered on the car at that time? My dad said that these were not there when he bought it.

Last edited by balderash_12 : 14th March 2019 at 07:10. Reason: Adding more details about the Swift booking.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:16   #118
BHPian

Voted for ease of maintenance and if there was another reason, it would have been doesn't absorb too much heat. Earlier used to have a dark color and it was a nightmare on sunny days, after switching to Silver color, heat absortion is minimal and maintenance is also easy.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:48   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakwontsing View Post
I am going to buy Honda City and slightly confused between Silver and Steel (dark grey) colors with Golden brown also not looking bad either. So, you see how slightly confused I am

Don't want to go for white as it is so much common even though City looks elegant in White.
I was pretty much stuck in the same dilemma as you - was finding it difficult to choose between white and the grey steel colours for the City. While I initially thought the steel will be a good colour, as I started to closely observe steel coloured Citys in Bangalore during my everyday commutes, I realised that almost all of them had lost the initial sheen that makes the colour looks good. Unless it is maintained well with regular polishing, the colour starts to look really drab and dull in the long term, after the initial polish wears off. On the flip side, it will conceal dirt and grime better than other colours. But overall, did not like the colour when it comes to its long term sheen.

Hence, white will be the colour of choice for me when it comes to the City. None of the other colours are that great in my view. Also, the white colour on the City has a slight pearlescent/ metallic quality, which is visible in good light (hence the name Pearl Orchid White I suppose!). The current City looks awesome in the white shade- the front end looks aggressive, especially when you spot the DRLs from afar. The overall design looks very classy and sporty at the same time.

Generally speaking, my colour choice would depend from car to car. My present 2012 Swift is a dark blue, for instance. This colour wouldn't look great on a sedan, but looks super on a hatchback.
Old 14th March 2019, 11:03   #120
Senior - BHPian

For me colour choice has always been secondary. Unless the colour is very obviously flashy and out of place for my personality, I will pick up any colour which is available or where the dealer is extending a better discount.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks