Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What is the top influencer in choice of car color?
Ease of maintenance 123 19.46%
Based on model to color suitability 340 53.80%
Superstition 7 1.11%
Family decides. No personal choice 49 7.75%
Has to be a specific color. No compromise. 69 10.92%
Depends on availability. Most colors work 27 4.27%
Any Other (Please Specify) 17 2.69%
Voters: 632. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2019, 14:22   #121
BHPian

Re: What influences your choice of car colour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I was pretty much stuck in the same dilemma as you - was finding it difficult to choose between white and the grey steel colours for the City. While I initially thought the steel will be a good colour, as I started to closely observe steel coloured Citys in Bangalore during my everyday commutes, I realised that almost all of them had lost the initial sheen that makes the colour looks good. Unless it is maintained well with regular polishing, the colour starts to look really drab and dull in the long term, after the initial polish wears off. On the flip side, it will conceal dirt and grime better than other colours. But overall, did not like the colour when it comes to its long term sheen.

Hence, white will be the colour of choice for me when it comes to the City. None of the other colours are that great in my view. Also, the white colour on the City has a slight pearlescent/ metallic quality, which is visible in good light (hence the name Pearl Orchid White I suppose!). The current City looks awesome in the white shade- the front end looks aggressive, especially when you spot the DRLs from afar. The overall design looks very classy and sporty at the same time.

Generally speaking, my colour choice would depend from car to car. My present 2012 Swift is a dark blue, for instance. This colour wouldn't look great on a sedan, but looks super on a hatchback.
After high level discussions for Honda City Color-
1. White --> Wife doesn't like
2. Silver --> I already have Silver Santro. Need something different
3. Red --> None of us want it
Leaves us with Metallic Golden Brown and Metallic Modern Steel (dark shade of grey)

Big time confusion!
Old 16th March 2019, 16:57   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakwontsing View Post
Leaves us with Metallic Golden Brown and Metallic Modern Steel (dark shade of grey)

Big time confusion!
Both the shortlisted colours are pretty good in their own right. Boils down to personal preference. But both of them being darker colours, they will need periodic maintenance by way of polishing and detailing, every 6 months or so, in order to retain the gloss. All the best and let us know how you solved the dilemma finally
Old 16th March 2019, 17:28   #123
BHPian

It's good to remember that certain colors look better on specific vehicles, for instance, an yellow hatch is much more desirable than a bright yellow SUV. In many cases, we can only speculate on the effect color will have on your bottom line. Because at the end of the day, only you can answer the question. However, my choice of colors have been always been black or white on my SUVs.
Old 16th March 2019, 17:50   #124
Senior - BHPian

Living in a perpetually hot city skews your preference towards a lighter colored car and our first car was therefore White. Since then we have had an affinity towards this neutral, non-offensive shade and all our cars since then have been white. Tried out silver somewhere in between and loved that too. So then it became white and/or silver.

Against all practical purposes and defying history, the latest addition to the garage is now a Stargaze Blue. Know why the change? The Wife
Old 16th March 2019, 19:04   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
All the best and let us know how you solved the dilemma finally
definitely!
This is the first car I am going to buy on my own and I am all lost. So difficult to find the best deal, negotiating with dealers required some Chanakya-neeti and now the color is another war.
Old 7th April 2020, 09:04   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this video by donut media, on car colours. Interesting facts about the evolution of popular car colours.

dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2024, 15:22   #127
BHPian

Link - Black Is The New White For Car Buyers

What influences your choice of car colour?-16blacksuv.jpg

Quote:
The preference for white cars among Indians is on the decline as shades like black, blue and grey have emerged as the new favourites.

In 2021, 43.9% of Indians opted for white cars. That dropped to 42.2% in 2022 and further to 39% in 2023, according to Jato Dynamics's data, reviewed by Business Standard.

In 2021, only 14.8% of the cars sold in India were black. That increased to 15.5% in 2022 and further to 19.5% in 2023.

The average car buyer today is younger and has greater wealth and better global exposure, affecting colour preferences, according to him.

As darker shades become more acceptable, their resale value has come on par with white vehicles, he said.

For a single-car household, white was the most acceptable colour among different family members. Now, as households are buying more than one car, non-white colours are also being picked, Srivastava said.
Quote:
Hyundai Motor India Chief Operating Officer Tarun Garg said buyers aged less than 30 years now comprised about 27% of the company's customers as compared to just 12% in 2018. These buyers are more experimental and individualistic about colour preferences.

Therefore, 30% of sales of Hyundai's newly-launched Exter is in ranger khaki colour. "For the Creta, black now accounts for nearly 32% of sales as against only 9% in 2018. Similarly, 40% of Verna sales are of Abyss Black colour, as compared to 26% in 2018," Garg said.
Quote:
According to Jato Dynamics, the preference for white in the SUV segment has been steadily diminishing over the past three years in India.

In 2021, 45.8% of customers bought white SUVs, but this percentage dropped to 38.7% in 2023.
Old 22nd January 2024, 18:29   #128
BHPian

It was TEAM-BHP!!

Back in 2017 when I had pre-booked my Octavia TSI Style+, I really wanted the gorgeous Race Blue color and unfortunately it wasn't available in the standard brochure.

I noticed someone in Bangalore had bought the same color and had posted on Team-BHP! I immediately called back my salesguy and told him I will not pick up the car unless he gets me the Race-Blue car! They didn't believe me until I pulled out the TBHP name card and after that they fell over backwards to help!

It turns out, that color was only available in the soon-to-be-launched L&K version (like literally a month later, DUH). I made a hue and cry and was able to get the beauty delivered to me! Still one of the few STYLE+ 2017 facelift Octys in that color to my understanding.

Still going strong! Pic attached for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
What influences your choice of car colour?-img_3720.jpg  

pickdj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks