Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2016, 19:46   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyundai @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
The present premium hatchbacks hit 10 lakh plus, it would be impossible to price the i30 at those levels, considering the Elantra ( The booted i30) sells for more than 20 lakhs!
The price can be even more like 10-15 lakhs maybe, hence I have written that it doesn't makes sense in the Indian market currently as the premium hatchback segment is owned by Baleno and i20 and there will be no takers for i30.

Once the market matures even more, then i30 can be a sensible option and Hyundai can launch it. 5 years ago, who would have thought have 6-10 lakh hatchbacks like Baleno and i20 will be selling like 20,000 units every month.
Old 3rd February 2016, 21:42   #17
BHPian

The i30 is the "Elantra GT" in the US. My experience of driving it as a rental was very good. The engine very refined. But it comes with a centre console like the Verna and the Elantra and not like the Grandi10, i20 and Creta. That sure looks a generation old from inside, eagerly asking for a interior facelift. I love the toggle controls on the steering on new gen Hyundais. This still had the button based controls which were not so nice to operate.

My only real grudge was the gear box. Although felt much better than lancer and the corolla, but still lot lagging than the DSG in jetta. Felt like so much of a let down to the nice refined engine. I had the exact same feeling after driving the petrol version of Sonata shown above. I read somewhere that now they did mange to develop a dual clutch automatic gearbox. Hyundai so needs it very soon !!!
Old 3rd February 2016, 22:49   #18
BHPian

Excellent coverage of Hyundai pavilion...Kudos.
Is it only me or anyone else also feels that these latest fluidic 2.0 designs are looking monotonously similar among the complete Hyundai family more so among the hatch backs and SUVs.
So the concept Carlino looks out of the box design from Hyundai to break the mundane. But whether it will see the day light is a discussion for another day...!
Old 3rd February 2016, 22:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_breakfree View Post
The price can be even more like 10-15 lakhs maybe, hence I have written that it doesn't makes sense in the Indian market currently as the premium hatchback segment is owned by Baleno and i20 and there will be no takers for i30.

Once the market matures even more, then i30 can be a sensible option and Hyundai can launch it. 5 years ago, who would have thought have 6-10 lakh hatchbacks like Baleno and i20 will be selling like 20,000 units every month.
Since when has the Baleno and i20 been considered as a Premium Hatchback.
IMO, we don't have any appropriately priced premium hatch backs in India and neither the market for it. People who have the money would go for either Mercedes or Volvo and others would like a bigger car for the 12-18L that a premium hatchback like this should cost.
Old 4th February 2016, 09:56   #20
BHPian

No display of the 2016 Elantra?
Old 4th February 2016, 11:21   #21
BHPian

Nice Coverage!!!

I strongly feel i30 is not going to make it in India any time soon if they are going to price it below 13-15L.
Also, why was the Sonata shown with left hand drive. It looks like a clear indication that it is not going to come in near future. I somehow felt that they just wanted to show a nice looking car and just keep audience entertained. Not a good move I guess!
Old 4th February 2016, 11:43   #22
BHPian

Probably should have displayed Veloster and Equus as well. Not sure if Veloster will be accepted in India. Surely Equus, despite being Hyundai’s high on protein and muscles super car wont be accepted in India.
Old 4th February 2016, 12:21   #23
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai have put up a decent range of show cars at the Expo - Carlino, Tucson, i30, Genesis (G80), Sonata Plug-in Hybrid, the N concept etc.

However, I'm disappointed at the list of cars they did not bring along to the show. Cars like the New Elantra, Genesis G90, i20 Coupé, Veloster and i20 WRC are sorely missed.

What's shocking is that the Hexaspace MPV (codename - IP) that's currently undergoing road testing is nowhere to be seen. The Hexaspace / IP compact MPV was supposed to be a key launch for them this year, along with the gorgeous new Tucson. But there's no sign of the new MPV at their stall, which is a big disappointment!

Also conspicuous by its absence is the rumoured Eon facelift. Renault's Kwid has dramatically changed the A-segment in India, and the Eon badly needs a facelift (along with feature additions) to take on the runaway success from the French diamond.

Last edited by RSR : 4th February 2016 at 12:30.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 12:33   #24
BHPian

I see the Elite i20 with projector headlights!!! Please Hyundai, make it reach the market asap! I've been waiting for this to happen!
Old 4th February 2016, 12:49   #25
BHPian

Mod note: Post Edited to fix Quotes. Please do a Preview before Submitting. Thanks.

Great pictures!
The Tucson looks stunning! The rim design looks superb too! Hope they retain them when it gets launched in our market. It would look much better in Metallic red or Deep Blue. i always loved the first gen Tucson It was a great VFM product with the space and comfort it provided for its price. Shame it was a market dud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Genesis... what's with the fake-Bentley-looking badge? Why couldn't they have their own unique-looking logo and be proud of it?
Completely agree on that. The moment i saw the picture the first thing that striked was the strikingly similar logo to the Bentley.

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th February 2016 at 12:54.
Old 4th February 2016, 14:23   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
The i30 is the "Elantra GT" in the US. My experience of driving it as a rental was very good. The engine very refined. But it comes with a centre console like the Verna and the Elantra and not like the Grandi10, i20 and Creta. That sure looks a generation old from inside, eagerly asking for a interior facelift. I love the toggle controls on the steering on new gen Hyundais. This still had the button based controls which were not so nice to operate.

My only real grudge was the gear box. Although felt much better than lancer and the corolla, but still lot lagging than the DSG in jetta. Felt like so much of a let down to the nice refined engine. I had the exact same feeling after driving the petrol version of Sonata shown above. I read somewhere that now they did mange to develop a dual clutch automatic gearbox. Hyundai so needs it very soon !!!
A long lost friend from down under. Totally loved the i30 with its practicality and space whilst still being a hatch. When i first started hunting for a car in India was hoping i find one as i loved it to bits. Shame our market segment is not evolved enough to offer a smart hatch as this one. Would have been perfect for a lot of people with a small family.
Old 4th February 2016, 15:41   #27
BHPian

I was hoping Hyundai would showcase their MPV that was rumored to release this year. Since there is no news of that in the AutoExpo, we can safely assume that it won't be coming this year...
Old 4th February 2016, 16:01   #28
BHPian

Tucson and i30 look pretty promising for India. Especially the Tucson which can be priced where the Yeti is priced today and can be a much better alternative to that. Just hope Hyundai doesn't give it with the Elantra engines atleast in diesel. Yes the new Elantra should also have been show cased but it does seem its not headed here anytime soon.

Whatever happened to the 6 seater concept (Hexaspace?) they'd showcased at the last EXPO? Any news on that or is Hyundai not going for this segment?
Old 4th February 2016, 16:02   #29
BHPian

Hyundai made i30 even before i20 and I was praying that they would launch it in Indian in 2009 when I was looking for cars. But as you say, Indians will never accept i30, Ford Fiesta hatch, Suzuki SX4 hatch, FIAT Bravo, etc. etc. Or, I say, they are simply assuming.

Take it this way, i30 will beat C+ or entry level D segment cars in space, power and features. Besides, the looks of a matured 4.3m hatch. They look really pleasing.

Of course, you don't expect it to sell like i20 elite or Swift. But it should sell at least like Creta or Verna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_breakfree View Post

Old 4th February 2016, 16:06   #30
BHPian

Excellent coverage of the Hyundai Pavilion - thanks S2 and Aditya. Those high quality pictures make sure that we are not missing the event even though not present physically.

From the line-up of cars displayed from Hyundai, only few will come to India if at all they plan to launch them.

The all new Tucson seems pretty impressive and if priced sensibly this could be a winner for Hyundai in their line-up, but with Creta selling like hot-cakes even with exorbitant pricing it seems impossible. Those alloy wheels looks cool.

Don't know when the sub-4m SUV Marlino will be launched here, they may be late to the party considering Maruti has already launched Vitara Brezza. But the vehicle looks butch and muscular but not sure whether the production ready version will retain these characteristics.

i30 may makes sense may be some 5 years down the line and surely the Genesis brand will not be accepted in a brand conscious country like India.

Hyundai should have showcased their new MPV based on Hexa Space concept and it would have surely garnered some interest during the Expo and also disappointed with the absence of Veloster.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks