Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2016, 16:08   #16
BHPian

Re: Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Also does this car come with a spare wheel or not?
Yes, XE has about 30 litres lesser boot space compared to the 3 but includes space saver under the boot floor unlike the 3. The Jag scores very well when it comes to combined overall boot space and space saver compared to the competition.
Old 9th February 2016, 14:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Good looking car in general and good front rows, but things goes south for back seat. Looking at it purely from a layman perspective it totally beats me as to how manufacturers with 4.7m car length to play around can't match 4m hatchbacks in terms of leg and head space.
Old 9th February 2016, 14:43   #18
BANNED

I don't get this point. WHY ON EARTH can't jaguar can't give good plush interiors? Even the new Endevour's interior is looking much better than XE and XF interior. That is just 26 lakhs. I really don't understand now they have even messed up the 2016 XJL interior, which looks so outdated. Jaguar would once again be nowhere close the German Trio when it comes to sales yet again. EPIC fail #XE & #XF

Last edited by ravelsnip@gmail : 9th February 2016 at 14:44.
Old 9th February 2016, 17:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Isn't the positioning of the engine start/stop button odd. It's right below the A/C button. On the move you could end up hitting the start/stop button instead of the A/C one!
Old 11th February 2016, 17:12   #20
Team-BHP Support

Just wondering if the boot have a space saver in a wheel well? Or is it run flat with spare if required to be placed in the main boot (without concealed wheel well).

Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 19:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Pro View Post
Looks great, will await to test drive the car in chennai and compare it to the Bmw F30 328i in performance and handling
Have you driven a 328i earlier or do you know someone with a 328i? As far as I know 328i has been discontinued in India so you won't find one available for a test drive at a BMW dealership.

Last edited by Bookkeeper : 11th February 2016 at 19:59.
Old 11th February 2016, 21:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravelsnip@gmail View Post
I don't get this point. WHY ON EARTH can't jaguar can't give good plush interiors? Even the new Endevour's interior is looking much better than XE and XF interior. That is just 26 lakhs. I really don't understand now they have even messed up the 2016 XJL interior, which looks so outdated. Jaguar would once again be nowhere close the German Trio when it comes to sales yet again. EPIC fail #XE & #XF
I sat in the XE and the interiors are top class. Excellent materials, well built, nice feel to the buttons, lots of leather/metal to feel and a top class sound system. The seats are nigh perfect as well, excellent support. The touchscreen, I think Audi still has the best interface. Unless one is a massive geek, the XE does its job, more than whats required for regular driving.

On the other hand by plush, if you mean lots of bling, chrome, buttons everywhere, 5-6 front air vents or whatever merc deems necessary nowadays, then this is not your cup of tea.

The XE is a very classy product and a brilliant drivers car. The double wishbone from the F type, aluminium chassis etc.... a lot of the engineering is hidden. But if its 'the show' one is looking for then you will be disappointed. There's beauty in lines, proportion and curves, Ian Callum does this better than anyone else.
shortbread is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 01:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
There's beauty in lines, proportion and curves, Ian Callum does this better than anyone else.
Thanks for saying it the way it is meant to be . For folks interested in more background about Callum, head over to My Life in Cars
Amartya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 09:08   #24
BANNED

Quote:
I sat in the XE and the interiors are top class. Excellent materials, well built, nice feel to the buttons, lots of leather/metal to feel and a top class sound system. The seats are nigh perfect as well, excellent support. The touchscreen, I think Audi still has the best interface. Unless one is a massive geek, the XE does its job, more than whats required for regular driving.

On the other hand by plush, if you mean lots of bling, chrome, buttons everywhere, 5-6 front air vents or whatever merc deems necessary nowadays, then this is not your cup of tea.

The XE is a very classy product and a brilliant drivers car. The double wishbone from the F type, aluminium chassis etc.... a lot of the engineering is hidden. But if its 'the show' one is looking for then you will be disappointed. There's beauty in lines, proportion and curves, Ian Callum does this better than anyone else.
Well i don't even see ay good "curvy" stuff you are talking about. Compared to even the new BMW 3 and also the C class. Interiors and plush is what sells the cars these days especially in India. They do lot of cost cuttings in India if it is a CKD. The last thing they can do is give a good interior. 90 out of 100 here feel the jag lags Good interiors. Have a look at the XF. One wouldnt believe that car looks so good from the outside looks so outdated from the inside. There are very few like 10 in 100 like you who found this good. Aah i now see why u say this, regionality factor influencing u maybe ?

Last edited by ravelsnip@gmail : 12th February 2016 at 09:10.
Old 12th February 2016, 11:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There's beauty in lines, proportion and curves, Ian Callum does this better than anyone else.
Quote:
Well i don't even see ay good "curvy" stuff you are talking about. Compared to even the new BMW 3 and also the C class. Interiors and plush is what sells the cars these days especially in India.
The pull quotes from the two of you show a fundamental difference in thinking ... and that should be okay.

Quote:
Aah i now see why u say this, regionality factor influencing u maybe ?
But this ... is not okay. Firstly, adding a smiley does not hide true intent -- and you can/will choose to say otherwise -- but it's just in very poor taste. But thinking about it, I feel this kind of explains why you don't see the Jaguar in a good light, and your opinion and Shortbread's differs.
Old 12th February 2016, 12:25   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post

But this ... is not okay. Firstly, adding a smiley does not hide true intent -- and you can/will choose to say otherwise -- but it's just in very poor taste. But thinking about it, I feel this kind of explains why you don't see the Jaguar in a good light, and your opinion and Shortbread's differs.
Nope, you got me wrong buddy there. Honestly i don't even know him. I was surprised he really liked the interiors of the XE so much when i personally along with bunch of other friends, who have a good taste when it comes to these kind of cars felt it was otherwise. But then, I also realised "MAY BE" Just the sort of May be, he was influenced by that. Well like you said, fundamental differences based on taste is acceptable, ones own perspective counts finally and what he/she is happy with. To me honestly, I wouldnt be paying 55 lakhs for a XE with that kind of interiors. Most of them CERTAINLY won't. The only reason i don't see jaguar in a good light like you mentioned is their pricing is ridiculous considering what they are giving with their cars if you compare them with any of the German cars. I had great respect for TATAs but looking at their pricing even when some of the cars of CKU, makes me believe they are another set of greedy businessman who doesn't actually care like how they falsely fake being proud of bringing the iconic brand to india like how they mentioned when they took over the JLR.

Last edited by ravelsnip@gmail : 12th February 2016 at 12:30.
Old 12th February 2016, 12:50   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
Have you driven a 328i earlier or do you know someone with a 328i? As far as I know 328i has been discontinued in India so you won't find one available for a test drive at a BMW dealership.
Hi, yeah, i have driven the 328i here in chennai, a friend of mine own's one.
I own a Bmw 320d (2011) so might plan an upgrade later on in the year, Also Bmw are planning to relaunch the 328i in lci form later on this year as a 330i.
Cheers!
Golf Pro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 12:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Pro View Post
Also Bmw are planning to relaunch the 328i in lci form later on this year as a 330i.
Didn't know that. Thanks for bringing this to my notice.
Bookkeeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 01:49   #29
BHPian

A great car, but an expensive proposition.

Old 15th April 2016, 23:28   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Jaguar XE Review !

Behind the Wheel of the Jaguar XE;

Jaguar XE Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-imageuploadedbyteambhp1460743055.579581.jpg

I recently had the Jaguar XE over the weekend & had the opportunity to review it;

Likes;

- Amazing looks & good road presence
- Gearbox, 8 speed ZF unit is fast & smooth
- Handling Dynamics
- Ride Quality
- Fun to Drive (Thanks to RWD & good engine/gearbox combo)

Dislikes;

- Rear seat is cramped & Headroom too is limited
- Pricing, especially the Portfolio trim is too steeply priced
- Interior not as exciting as exterior
- No diesel engine option
- Service with JLR is still a gamble.

The model im driving is the top spec Portfolio 25t i.e. 2L 237 HP, 340 NM petrol.

Other Key Observations;

- Though the engine specifications are similar to my 328i (N20 engine) But my BMW is much faster. Firstly the 328i has a factory quoted 0-100 km/h of 6.1 secs (also some websites and articles have quoted 5.9 secs) compared to this Jag's factory quoted 6.8 secs.
- This engine is actually Ford derived 2L Ecoboost & might be replaced with Ingenium petrol engine.
- Engine note is sweet when revved hard, but the exhaust should have had some more fruity note (Likewise in 328i i needed an exhaust upgrade to make the car sound good)
- Infotainment system is improved compared to XF & XJ but still not as good as iDrive user-friendliness.
- Spare wheel is a space saver.
- Battery is in the boot just like BMW's.
- Boot Space at 455L is smallest in the segment (BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Merc C Class are all at 480L) also it is a bit narrow because of the boot hinges.
- Headlights are regular HID whereas competition has started offering LED now also no fog or bumper lamps on the XE.
- No space for bottle storage in front doors.
- Though there is leather on top of the dashboard but surprisingly there is no leather on top of instrument cluster & feels Plasticky (cost reduction measure ?)
- While operating paddles the car in manual mode i did not know how to get back to regular D mode, Hence i had to go to S mode and then switch back to D. Whereas in a BMW if you have used the paddles & are not in sport mode (gearbox to the left) the car will automatically come back to D mode after some seconds.
- Operating the buttons on steering felt better than the ones on the dashboard.
- Inspite of so much of Aluminium usage the XE is weighing 1548 kg whereas the BMW 3 series weighs only 1505 Kg.
- My brother 6ft 1"(taller than me) sitting at the back while shooting the video was always complaining about the limited space, also the hump in the floor making things difficult for the middle passenger as well.
- Front center armrest is not that comfortable and feels a bit too hard, more cushioning would have been welcome.
- Driving Modes (Jaguar Drive Select) gets Dynamic, Normal, Eco & Winter modes.
- Globally the car gets Heads up Display, the portfolio missing out on the HUD is disappointing.
- The car gets many Cameras which is a good thing - There is a regular reverse camera, 360 Degree View, Front bumper has 2 intersection cameras placed on the sides & then there is one in front as well placed on the grille above the Jaguar logo.
- Both trims get the same alloy wheel design. IMO the portfolio which is pricier by 7L deserved better looking rims to differentiate it being the top model (18"ers would have been nice too)

Full Video Review on this thread;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...jaguar-xe.html

Last edited by karan561 : 15th April 2016 at 23:55.
karan561 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks