Team-BHP - Tata wants your help in renaming the Zica! (Edit: Now renamed Tiago)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Tata wants your help in renaming the Zica! (Edit: Now renamed Tiago) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/173000-tata-wants-your-help-renaming-zica-edit-now-renamed-tiago.html)

Update - Thread closed. Please continue the discussions in the Tata Tiago : Official Review thread. Thanks!

Tata recently announced that it will rename the Zica due to the Zika virus (related discussion).

Now, Tata has announced the #Fantastico Name Hunt, a crowd-sourcing activity for all netizens to suggest a new name for the Zica.

Through the contest, the company will be looking forward to suggestions from folk around the world to share what they think should be the name of the car.

Over the next three days, Tata will receive all entries through its social media channels. The hunt for the new name will end at 23:59 IST, 18:29 GMT and 13:29 EST on 7th of February, 2016. The contest is being conducted on social media and mobile platforms with entries being accepted via SMS and whatsapp.

To participate in this contest, customers can use the below mentioned platforms:
• Facebook handle: www.facebook.com/tatamotorsmadeofgreat
• Twitter handle: https://twitter.com/madeofgreat
• Via SMS <Name of the car> to 9227112345
• Via Whatsapp <Name of the car> to 09920425487

Tata will further shortlist these entries for viewers to vote for their favourite name. One of the contestants whose selection matches the final name stands a chance to win the car (if within India) or win a reward of equal value, if located outside India.

Must say, a smart way to turn a negative situation into a positive one. Though, I still think that it was a knee-jerk reaction from Tata Motors. I don't think dropping the Zica name was necessary due to the Zika virus. For one, everyone already knows the Zica as....well, Zica. It's not going to change.

Then, we've had so many other unsuitable / controversial car names that were worse off, yet the models went on to enjoy success. Creta (so many jokes on that), Laura (even more jokes), Duster (as in a cloth used for dusting furniture), Dzire (seriously, what kind of name is that)...the list goes on.

A Wild theory! :D
Does tata motors have any plans to expand in South America?
With Lionel Messi as a brand ambassador et al.
Then the renaming would make more sense!

But end of the day, this is a good initiative to spread the word. Smart marketing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3906764)
Tata will further shortlist these entries for viewers to vote ...

Glad to hear that...

...because we've seen too many things like this in the past:
Name:  Screenshot  20160205164614.png
Views: 7007
Size:  37.4 KB
source

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3906764)
Must say, a smart way to turn a negative situation into a positive one. Though, I still think that it was a knee-jerk reaction from Tata Motors....

Agree, though I must say that N.r.K has a good point above!

The decision to change the name gave Tata not just local but even international publicity from both mainstream (BBC, Guardian) and business media (Forbes, CNBC etc). That Messi was the Brand Ambassador for launch was extra topping on the cake from media's point of view.

Methinks this was a smart decision

Zica was always an iffy choice, IMO. Glad they're ditching it.

I can't seem to understand why they didn't stick to the factory-code / pre-production-name 'Kite'. I think it suits the car nicely.

FO some reason, I was thinking of such a move from TATA where they ask 'common man' to choose the name. This ensures they get a much more audience signed off name rather than too much backlash. Somehow I feel that Kite will be the chosen name.

+1 to the name- Kite. The car looks sharp and well done.
Hope they don't go the Skoda or the MM way of naming.

I see a sharp and opportunistic marketing mind at work! Did the general public even know what Zica was before this ?!

One of the Facebook comment was to name it as Nut, that way Tata Motors would have a nut and bolt.

One a more serious note, Kite or Neo would be my personal choice.

Short name for a hatchback.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachinayak (Post 3906874)
One of the Facebook comment was to name it as Nut, that way Tata Motors would have a nut and bolt.

:uncontrol , That will be the funniest and a logical name. I had a good laugh to start the weekend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachinayak (Post 3906874)

Short name for a hatchback.

Cool Nut and Bolt for hatchbacks, and Zest and Best (for kite5) for sedan. But this is a smart move by Tata according to me.

I'd suggest

Tata Smart
Tata Fun
Tata belle

Smart might be used already but then :)

Nut and Bolt was hilarious. I always admire the creativity of the people who come up with these trolls. This was worth a genuine laugh. A Nut and a Bolt that can hold Tata Motors together.

Coming to reality, i still do not think a lot of people living in rural India will know much about the zika virus. Yes, i say that coz urban India never buys a Tata as they are image conscious. They say there is a taxi image attached to it even if the car offers better value or they are afraid of their neighbors mocking at them after spending 6L on a car. So the name should not matter to people who are ACTUALLY planning to buy this car. But i am sure that there is a sharp, young mind behind this name change fiasco. It was practically not necessary. If people can buy Creta, they can easily buy Zica. Tata wanted people to take note of their new car. So here they are. I wish them all the best.

They have a completely new portfolio now. Only if they were commercially half as successful as Mahindra !!!

Those serious about the competition can pick & choose names from the first paragraph of the classic ENA MINA DIKA song -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85-vsILZjvw

Most of the words rhyme with ZICA

Thanks for this thread, I've suggested they name it, Slym.

In memory of the genius who made us believe that Tata Motors CAN deliver.

I really do see shades of some of our suggestions for the "Next Tata Car Ideator Meet" actually being developed.

Like GTO's suggestion of a good MUV, or like my suggestion of having "Sport" versions of their cars (they're developing a Sport Division) & the oft repeated suggestion from you'll to further improve ergonomics

Anyway, let's see!