Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2016, 17:47   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyundai to introduce the AMT in its cars by 2018

Surely a good move to bring more automatics closer to the masses.

My only concern - this will lead to AMTs straddling a big spectrum of cars, and might get really synonymous with automatics. With manufacturers only going with what the mass market wants, the dual clutch automatics might soon get cornered even more and we might not get this sporty option in reasonably priced cars.

VW's DSG is not very reliable to begin with, and Ford's DCT is not in the same league as a DSG. With AMT's increasing in prominence, where does that leave the market?
Old 11th May 2016, 19:05   #17
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai to introduce the AMT in its cars by 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Hyundai has confirmed that it will start using automated manual transmission (AMT) technology in its cars in 2018. The technology will be gradually introduced in the company's entire model range.
For Hyundai's sake, I hope it's not across the entire model range!

An AMT would be fine on cars like the Eon, i10 & upcoming "AH". The Grand i10 & Xcent are better off with the current 4-speed torque converter AT, unless an AMT is meant for the diesel engine.

For anything above, it has to be the 6-speed torque converter AT (or their new 7-speed DCT). I hope the folks at Hyundai understand that the basic & jerky (albeit inexpensive & fuel-efficient) AMT technology just doesn't gel well with cars costing nearly a million rupees or more. The 6-speed torque converter AT is a million times better for such cars.

AMTs haven't succeeded in the more developed markets, and I see the same happening here over the long term. At most, they will achieve a fair acceptability & decent success among the more affordable sub-4m cars costing less than a million bucks. Whether they like it or not, manufacturers must realise that AMT is not a technology meant for million rupee mainstream cars!

Last edited by RSR : 11th May 2016 at 19:26.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 15:03   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 AMT to launch in 2016

Hyundai's Grand i10 - facelift caught on test in Chennai- Bangalore highway, external modification on bumpers, headlights, touch screen etc. the biggest addition will be the ZF supplied AMT which will be introduced.

Hyundai Grand i10 AMT to launch in 2016-1.jpg
Hyundai Grand i10 AMT to launch in 2016-2.jpg
Hyundai Grand i10 AMT to launch in 2016-3.jpg
Hyundai Grand i10 AMT to launch in 2016-4.jpg
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th August 2016 at 15:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks