Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2016, 21:10   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1st-gen Toyota Innova production comes to an end

Takes me back to 2008 when our Innova came home. Since then Innova has clocked 1.3lac KMs and have a lot of wonderful memories with this truly versatile vehicle.
1st-gen Toyota Innova production comes to an end-1929492_23117210542_8144_n.jpg
Be it carrying 800 Kilos of our farm produce, or carrying 8 people to covering 1000KM in a day without breaking a sweat, Innova does it all. You wont feel awkward taking it to a 5 star hotel or even that big fat Indian wedding.
Coming to the car well I am yet to find a flaw. The engine sounds exactly same like the way it did on day one. Even after we made to carry loads of goods, there is not a single rattle. Apart from the gas struts of the hatch, there is not a single part that has failed. Ever since Innova came home it had a lot of companions, but at the end of the day if we all want comfort we would always pickup innova. Of course it isn't powerful by current standards, insulation is pretty bad and interiors feel plain jane. But after owning all these so called modern cars, these funky features makes you happy for a year or two, and you start hating when these start causing trouble, but what's the point if basic purpose of carrying you from point A to point B without worry and with utmost comfort and this where Innova excels.

Our car is 8 years old and covered 1.3 lacs, that calls for replacement, but the case with Innova is so different. Its working flawlessly and I don't see any other vehicle as of now which can replace Innova. Lets hope the new Crysta is a worthy successor and I hope it replaces our Innova which we plan to do in a year or two.
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 08:55   #62
BHPian

If the production of the 1st gen Innova does stop and the new version of it being 20L+, this might fall right in the hands of Chevrolet.

In the taxi segment Chevrolet's Tavera had only one competition and that was Innova. Since Innova is gonna be priced a lot higher now, Chevrolet has the segment all to itself. Tavera's sale might improve once again now
Old 15th March 2016, 10:21   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanuj_afc View Post
If the production of the 1st gen Innova does stop and the new version of it being 20L+, this might fall right in the hands of Chevrolet.

In the taxi segment Chevrolet's Tavera had only one competition and that was Innova. Since Innova is gonna be priced a lot higher now, Chevrolet has the segment all to itself. Tavera's sale might improve once again now

What about xylo? Is it not the better option for customers apart from innova? Lodgy has not created an impact on taxi segment as of now. So I feel it's time Xylo makes hay out of this. But, who knows, people may get crazy enough to get the basic variant of new Innova as taxi too.
Old 15th March 2016, 11:46   #64
Senior - BHPian

I think Toyota will price the lower variants of Crysta at par or even undercut the older generation.

Over here at Kochi, Toyota sells a whopping 22 variants of the Innova currently. It includes all BS3, BS4 and 7 and 8 seat configurations. And even if we are to discount the BS3 variants, that's 11 variants for a car with just one engine and transmission option with not much kit.

Given the Crysta will have 3 engine options, 2 transmissions and a lot of kit (not just a chrome button for the handbrake), the spread of variants is going to be insane.

And the current generation does about 5000 units per month with ease. Who knows what's the volume Toyota is planning with the new one. I think the new one can do 7500+ each month. But it all depends on having a few variants which should look great value for the the prospective customers. And I think they are going to do just that.

I hope they get us the all black interiors showcased at the expo.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 12:20   #65
Senior - BHPian

Good to see them going the Qualis way. Taxi segment didnt bother as the valuation of used Qualis stayed so high for many years to come. Eventually we see innovas on the road. Toyota is ensuring that the innova wont eat into the shares of new version

Hope they do the same with Etios and just replace it fully with the Vios
Old 15th March 2016, 16:43   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Good riddance. We had a company owned 2.5 G optional which at that time was going around for 15 lacs on road. Never at any point did it feel like a 15L car. Awfully slow, very noisy, unrefined,terribly low equipment and had a very UV like feeling to it. Safety was quite poor as well, judging by Toyota's hesitation to share the crash test results.
It was quite comfortable and supposedly reliable but just not worth the money.

Ha Ha Ha
well said!!! good riddance indeed!
In fact a very expensive utility vehicle. Toyota does take our market for granted, which explains the lack luster updates innova received over the years but it never deterred Toyota from raising prices at every available opportunity.
Old 15th March 2016, 19:46   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanuj_afc View Post
In the taxi segment Chevrolet's Tavera had only one competition and that was Innova.
Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
What about xylo? Is it not the better option for customers apart from innova? Lodgy has not created an impact on taxi segment as of now. So I feel it's time Xylo makes hay out of this.
Regarding taxi segment, add the Sumo, Enjoy, Stile to the list - but Innova alone was selling double the volume of all these put together. With the high levels of localisation for the new Innova Crysta, Toyota may not hike the price much from the current levels and if that is the case, the above competition will not even survive.

P.S.: Hope Chevrolet brings in their new MPV Spin in place of Enjoy asap.
Old 15th March 2016, 20:37   #68
BANNED

I don't think Toyota will let it go the current sales numbers of Innova the way they did for Qualis. They will definitely have alternative plans if not in the near term. They will come up with an alternative to the present Innova either in the form of Avanza, or a modified Innova. Crysta seems to offer a lot more than current one, and won't come in the current Innova rates, IMO.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 15th March 2016 at 20:54.
Old 15th March 2016, 21:46   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurthvader View Post

Ha Ha Ha
well said!!! good riddance indeed!
In fact a very expensive utility vehicle. Toyota does take our market for granted, which explains the lack luster updates innova received over the years but it never deterred Toyota from raising prices at every available opportunity.
I don't think we can blame Toyota for this, after all price is determined by demand!
It's the public which needs to understand that dated, antique platforms aren't worth 18L.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 09:25   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
I don't think we can blame Toyota for this, after all price is determined by demand!
It's the public which needs to understand that dated, antique platforms aren't worth 18L.
+1 to this. Toyota takes our higher end vehicle market for granted because they know they can do that. Both the customer and the competitors have given the market segments of the Innova, Corolla , Fortuner and even the Camry on a platter to Toyota. So they can comfortably sell under specced cars with the comfort and reliability USP's at any price they want.

They probably assumed the same thing when they launched the Etios and Liva. But underestimated the might of Maruti and Hyundai and the loyalty they command to buyers in these segments.

The Crysta, unlike a typical Toyota seems high on features. So I will not be surprised at all if they command a heavy premium. If it does not work out, they will throw in cheaper basic variants.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 17:37   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

They probably assumed the same thing when they launched the Etios and Liva. But underestimated the might of Maruti and Hyundai and the loyalty they command to buyers in these segments.
Rightly said, but Toyota’s take it or leave it arrogance shows in the fact that despite they took a beating from Maruti & Hyundai in compact segment but did nothing to improve the etios twins.
Old 17th March 2016, 21:32   #72
BHPian

Toyota has realized the fact that the Innova is largely being sold in the Indian Market for Commercial usage to the Taxi Operators and that they have not being able to do the numbers with the Private Buyers. Needless to say that the Innova is a fantastic vehicle but again due to the Taxi Image of the Innova, a lot of potential private buyers refrain from buying the Innova.

On the contrary, the New Innova Crysta which was displayed at the Auto Expo 2016 is a feature enriched upmarket MUV which will be impractical (would not say 'Not Affordable') for the Taxi Operators for their commercial usage considering the price bracket is deemed to be starting from 2000K INR and going upto 2700K INR. However, their will be and are a lot of private buyers who are continually eyeing the launch of the Innova Crysta.

It's all about the strategy of classifying a vehicle which previously used to fall in the Utility Category to the Premium Category now. At the end of it it's all number game and depends what Toyota wants to achieve out of this move of theirs.

If they do not plan a replacement of the Innova; they will themselves be opening the doors for the Maruti Ertiga, the Renault Lodgy, the Chevrolet Tavera and all such similar Utility Vehicles capturing and capitalizing the absence of the Innova from the Commercial Taxi Market.

I would like to share an experience of mine here - It was sometime back in 2013 when I went to Bali, Indonesia and got a Self Driven Toyota Avanza on rental basis for myself for a week and found the vehicle an excellent substitute for the Innova. Sharing a Picture :

1st-gen Toyota Innova production comes to an end-dsc05338-2.jpg

It was an excellent car and can be the "Perfect Replacement" for the Previous Generation Innova to cater to the Commercial Taxi Market in India. There will also be umpteen Private Buyers who would also consider an MUV of this size with the T-Badge on it over the Ertiga (considering it to be in the similar price bracket) and give the other competitors a run for their money. But, had the plan been that, the Avanza would have been on display at the Auto Expo 2016 for sure; which was not the case.

I am presuming that first they will sell a handful of Innova Crysta(s) in the Indian Market and thereafter may launch a stripped down version of the Crysta and rename it something else as in the case of Swift Dzire and Dzire Tour for the Maruti. The times to come shall unfold the long term strategy.
Old 17th March 2016, 23:22   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurthvader View Post
Rightly said, but Toyota’s take it or leave it arrogance shows in the fact that despite they took a beating from Maruti & Hyundai in compact segment but did nothing to improve the etios twins.
Toyota has bought Daihatsu, a Japanese carmaker, for small-car development for countries like India.
Old 18th March 2016, 09:00   #74
Senior - BHPian

You know the legendary first-generation Innova will cease to exist when you get mails and promos like this - for the first time in 11 years of the car's existence!

1st-gen Toyota Innova production comes to an end-toyota-innova-exciting-offers-1.jpg
1st-gen Toyota Innova production comes to an end-toyota-innova-exciting-offers-2.jpg

Toyota's snobbish attitude aside, the Innova was an excellent vehicle that quite simply redefined the MPV segment in India. Tatas, Mahindras, Chevrolets and Renaults came and tried to usurp the king but failed miserably. If there's one model in Toyota's lineup that truly signifies the 'Quality Revolution' that Toyota boasts in their adverts, it has to be the Innova. It truly was and will continue to be a fill it, shut it and forget it kind of vehicle on Indian roads.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 09:05   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTRACK View Post
Toyota has bought Daihatsu, a Japanese carmaker, for small-car development for countries like India.
Toyota has had daihatsu for decades now, even before they started operations in India. If they had to compete in the small car market, they would've got a few Kei cars but for some reason, they haven't. Maybe they enjoy their "premium image".
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks