Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2016, 00:30   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata - Great Endurance Challenge @ VRDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The difference here is; if they are clocking a 130 kmph average speed, that means they are almost always at those speeds.

My average speeds on regular drives are around 60 kmph, even after driving certain stretches at 120 kmph continuously for short bursts and mostly being at 100 kmph. The fact is, there is almost zero focus on the (capability of) drivers in this event; it's PURELY the machines.
In one of the videos, Adil mentioned that at times they were clocking 160 kmph.

Tata trying hard to prove the reliability. They should advertise this more at their showrooms.
mrbaddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 17:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

I don't see much point in these endurance run, Tata cars are running in picture perfect scenario, perfect roads, no bumps and maintaining higher speeds.

In normal scenario, doing 15,000 Kms, a car would have gone through a lot of torture given our road scenario. If they really wish to do a endurance run, they should run their cars on public roads and see their performance.

Its the complete picture that's matter not clocking x kms in y hrs. It proves nothing to me. At most they are contributing to air pollution and wastage of fuels and other maintenance parts & supplies.

Lastly, I hope at the end of this event, they do give a elaborate excel explaining all the parts and maintenance that went into clocking these x kms.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 17:34   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
I don't see much point in these endurance run, Tata cars are running in picture perfect scenario, perfect roads, no bumps and maintaining higher speeds....If they really wish to do a endurance run, they should run their cars on public roads and see their performance.
It is done, my friend !!

(1) Multiple prototypes are run for "x" lakh kilometers on public roads.

(2) Multiple prototypes are run on special purpose tracks for "y" lakh kilometers. These special tracks are designed to bring out the potential failures in early stage of development.

Any failures observed during the above road trails are deeply investigated and corrective steps done.
Ravindra M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 17:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't see much point in these endurance run, Tata cars are running in picture perfect scenario, perfect roads, no bumps and maintaining higher speeds.

In normal scenario, doing 15,000 Kms, a car would have gone through a lot of torture given our road scenario. If they really wish to do a endurance run, they should run their cars on public roads and see their performance.

Its the complete picture that's matter not clocking x kms in y hrs. It proves nothing to me. At most they are contributing to air pollution and wastage of fuels and other maintenance parts & supplies.

Lastly, I hope at the end of this event, they do give a elaborate excel explaining all the parts and maintenance that went into clocking these x kms.
Running continuously at top speeds for 15000 kms and running 15000 on roads with stop and go is a huge difference.

The test itself is called endurance test. It might not prove anything to you, but for tata and its customer it speaks a lot about its new generation cars
amit_mechengg is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 21:57   #35
BHPian

I think more then 80 percent of car buyers in our country go with perception while making a decision in buying a car, new cars from Tata are good in form but lack perception.

If I was somewhere in Tata management, I would move Heaven and Earth to keep these cars running as long as they can, forget 20000, go for 100000 or 200000 , if possible even further, change the drivers do quick maintenance there; just keep them running and then when you have some astonishing numbers, publish them, advertise them, mint every possible drop of juice out of this news, this is how perception will change.
amit_snk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 22:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Running continuously at top speeds for 15000 kms and running 15000 on roads with stop and go is a huge difference.
Yes there is a big difference. Former is much easier to achieve under standard test condition whereas later is more tough to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
The test itself is called endurance test. It might not prove anything to you, but for tata and its customer it speaks a lot about its new generation cars
It's more of Engine test. Endurance test should be complete package, wherein the suspension, air conditioner, constant gear changes, braking, stop go traffic, etc form it. True their new generation is trying to catch up but other than their Tiago, all their cars are still based on Indica platform which I owned way back in 2003 till 2010 Indica DLS 1.3 lac kms.

Tata has a long way to go. They rested on their laurels for long and kept on using old platforms when the competition moved on. Another example is Tata Storme, which is based on Safari which is going to be 2 decade old bodywork, but they still holding on it.
Old 20th March 2016, 23:57   #37
BANNED

Tata - Great Endurance Challenge @ VRDE

Quote:

True their new generation is trying to catch up but other than their Tiago, all their cars are still based on Indica platform which I owned way back in 2003 till 2010 Indica DLS 1.3 lac kms.

Tata has a long way to go. They rested on their laurels for long and kept on using old platforms when the competition moved on. Another example is Tata Storme, which is based on Safari which is going to be 2 decade old bodywork, but they still holding on it.

You know? Right there is the reason why Tata probably deserves to be in the pickle they find themselves in now. For customers like you, who have endeared them for more than 8 years, driven over a lakh on the counter and admonish them in public and social circles. To an extent you are right too. Their products, up in front, have been pedestrian, there was scant importance given to QC and the sight of them in their abused states didn't give the best picture to the public at large.

But what you are wrong in doing is being judgmental, and being ill informed on it. Please don't take any offence, since you mentioned it here, I thought it's only right to correct you. The Tiago is based on the existing XO platform, not a new platform as such. And no! The Indica DLS underpinnings was not used for the Tata Zest. The Storme is similar to the Safari only for people who can't separate an SUV from a Crossover. 'Nuf said. Having said that, maybe these endurance tests will not percolate to the masses in the rurals, nor get the urban majority to sit up and take notice. However, for the informed, it'll be a very good warmer to the brand, its products and probably future ownership. Because of the presumably bad taste Tata left in the past on you, maybe you are not even its target market now. But the least we can all do, is appreciate the company who is trying to dust off its backside, on which it has fallen very badly.

Ps. I have never owned a Tata car, but not someone who says never ever! Peace

Last edited by methecupid : 21st March 2016 at 00:02.
methecupid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 07:16   #38
BHPian

150 Hours done. 20000kms clocked.

Tata - Great Endurance Challenge @ VRDE-ceaqfb6waairduc.jpg

Remarkable feat, in my opinion.

The way this discussion has been going on off late reminds me of an old Hindi song.

Quote:
Kuch toh log kahenge. Logon ka kaam hai kehna.
sachinayak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 09:17   #39
BHPian

IMHO TATA is pulling all strings to drop off ther dead baggage perception of poor QC. This though has been proved with the launches in 2015, the perception of the masses dates back to the Indica days.

Having said this, these results will only help them to substantiate that they mean business & are working their tails off to gain every bit of lost ground.

The least we can all do is acknowledge their feat & give credit for their honest attempt in this. I do not recall any manufacturer who has even come close to perform what is being done at the VRDE today. A probable argument to this could be "they do not have to". Well, i would differ
m3_07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 10:16   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
150 Hours done. 20000kms clocked.

Remarkable feat, in my opinion.
Yes. Considering the day time temperatures were between 33-39 degrees over the last few days, it is indeed remarkable.

Few minutes ago they completed 7 days of running.

It seems they had done services to the cars after 10k and 20k runs with regular minor checkups at other intervals.

From latest tweets, it looks like they are targeting even higher numbers and are not stopping soon.
Old 21st March 2016, 10:38   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
You know? Right there is the reason why Tata probably deserves to be in the pickle they find themselves in now. For customers like you, who have endeared them for more than 8 years, driven over a lakh on the counter and admonish them in public and social circles. To an extent you are right too. Their products, up in front, have been pedestrian, there was scant importance given to QC and the sight of them in their abused states didn't give the best picture to the public at large.

But what you are wrong in doing is being judgmental, and being ill informed on it. Please don't take any offence, since you mentioned it here, I thought it's only right to correct you. The Tiago is based on the existing XO platform, not a new platform as such. And no! The Indica DLS underpinnings was not used for the Tata Zest. The Storme is similar to the Safari only for people who can't separate an SUV from a Crossover. 'Nuf said. Having said that, maybe these endurance tests will not percolate to the masses in the rurals, nor get the urban majority to sit up and take notice. However, for the informed, it'll be a very good warmer to the brand, its products and probably future ownership. Because of the presumably bad taste Tata left in the past on you, maybe you are not even its target market now. But the least we can all do, is appreciate the company who is trying to dust off its backside, on which it has fallen very badly.

Ps. I have never owned a Tata car, but not someone who says never ever! Peace
I would agree just appreciate how this company has improved un a short span of time, it entered with products which had issues from day 1. But yes i would say they have improved more than any other company in India. No offence but i would not say the same for the number 1 manufacturer in india. I have owned and driven indigo diesel for 1.5 lakh km in 3 years. Manza diesel for 1.3 lakh km in 3 years and vista petrol for 70,000 km and i own many other vehicles from Hyundai to Maruti. And i am so impressed i am looking forward to their nexon. Just appreciate the Indian company and the efforts they are making to rebuild the loss image.
Old 21st March 2016, 10:47   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Yes. Considering the day time temperatures were between 33-39 degrees over the last few days, it is indeed remarkable.

Few minutes ago they completed 7 days of running.

It seems they had done services to the cars after 10k and 20k runs with regular minor checkups at other intervals.

From latest tweets, it looks like they are targeting even higher numbers and are not stopping soon.
They are also doing FE tests, after the 15k KM were completed. Expect to see the TIAGO figures in a day or two.
Old 21st March 2016, 11:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

Awesome achievement by Team TATA.

This kind of result is what make us wait for Nexon.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 15:46   #44
BHPian

And all cars have gone past the 20K km mark. As of 2:25p.m. the Zest had clocked 21,897km.

They say, not all can be winners. But those who stop trying definitely cannot get there. Tata Motors, as I see, are definitely not the ones who will give up. All the best folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata - Great Endurance Challenge @ VRDE-cednqumuuaebudu.jpg-large.jpg  

Last edited by sachinayak : 21st March 2016 at 15:49.
sachinayak is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 10:58   #45
BHPian

After 168 hours (7 days) of motoring.

Below are the stats posted on various twitter handles.

Zest Revotron Petrol - 21146.9 km (Avg Speed 125.8 kmph, 5004 laps)
Tiago Revotorq Diesel - 20677.8 km (Avg Speed 123 kmph, 4893 laps)
Tiago Revotron Petrol - 20449.6 km (Avg Speed 121.7 kmph, 4838 laps)
Bolt Revotron Petrol - 20280.5 km (Avg Speed 120.7 kmph, 4799 laps)
mrbaddy is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks