Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2016, 20:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Zest XM, XMS engine downgraded from 89 BHP to 74!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post

The question is why would somebody buy a Zest for Dzire money?

I agree that it is unfair to expect Tata to ask significantly lower prices for an almost equal car to the Dzire. But the ownership experience and the resale value of the latter are very hard to ignore in a buying decision.

Confusing move form Tata, I agree with the other members here.
I agree with you on the confusing part. However, my opinion is, though Zest has better room inside compared to that of Dzire, the boot space will be in short supply ( Dzire Tour is old Dzire, which has bigger boot).

Also, the resale value of the product is a very dominant theme in making a buying decision. Here, Maruti is very much ahead of Tata and Swift cousins even more so.

However, I tend to disagree on money front and 'almost equal' thing. I do believe the statement should be made in reverse - Dzire is almost equal to Zest - product wise. Why do people by Zest for Dzire money? Answer is obvious - one gets a Zest at the price of Dzire( again speaking product - wise).

I own an XM diesel. I also have a Dzire in our firm. Dzire was bought in January. Zest was bought in October( it was launched in August '14). By the time I was looking for a compact sedan, I drove Dzire for about 10,000 km. I planned to buy a Dzire. I test drove Zest the same day and the difference was obvious. Knowing that I am taking a risk, i pitched in for the Zest even as my friends warned me about below par product and lack of resale value. I was convinced about the product, so i went ahead with the purchase. I feel vindicated about my decision as I regularly drive both the vehicles and know about both.

PS: I am not a Tata fanboy, nor am I its baiter.
simplyself is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2016, 21:56   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
I planned to buy a Dzire. I test drove Zest the same day and the difference was obvious. Knowing that I am taking a risk, i pitched in for the Zest even as my friends warned me about below par product and lack of resale value. I was convinced about the product, so i went ahead with the purchase. I feel vindicated about my decision as I regularly drive both the vehicles and know about both.

That is the best comparison one can ever have. When you buy a car with YOUR money, its all about how YOU feel regarding the purchase. You don't have to listen to what others (including friends, relatives or auto expert journalists) have to say. It's your money and you should do what makes YOU happy.
We are glad that you made the right decision for yourself. :thumbsup:
Old 25th March 2016, 00:13   #33

Re: Tata Zest XM, XMS engine downgraded from 89 BHP to 74!

Not a good move from Tata Motors. The biggest differentiator between Zest and the upcoming Kite Compact Sedan is the engine make and the power - 1.3 mutltijet 90 bhp (Zest) and Revotorq 70 bhp (Kite) . The Revotorq engine (indigenously developed by Tata) is a new engine while 1.3 Multijet is from Fiat which is time tested and proven to be one of the best diesel engines.

With the move to reduce the power, it will be a challenging task for Tata to differentiate two compact sedan that has similar power. For sure this will lead to confusion in customer's mind.

Because Zest will be priced higher than Kite, I think the sales person will try to push the customer for Zest. It may lead to cannibalization of their own product. Let us wait and watch the marketing strategy of Tata.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks