Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2016, 11:50   #1
Team-BHP Support

Volvo revises prices of all its cars in India

Volvo India has announced a revision in the ex-showroom prices of all the cars in its portfolio. The revised prices are effective from April 1, 2016.

The company has reduced the prices of some of its models - V40 Cross Country D3 Inscription (reduced by Rs. 3,04,000), S60 Kinetic (reduced by Rs. 1,51,000) and S60 Momentum (reduced by Rs. 24,000). Volvo claims that efficiencies of scale have enabled it to reduce costs and it has passed on the benefits to its customers.

For all the other models, Volvo has increased the ex-showroom prices by 3%. The increase is a result of the recently proposed taxation norms on cars across various categories in Budget 2016.

Volvo's model line-up consists of the S60, S60 Cross Country and S80 sedans, V40 and V40 Cross Country hatchbacks and XC60 and XC90 SUVs.

Name:  Volvo.png
Views: 16309
Size:  26.8 KB

Last edited by Aditya : 5th April 2016 at 12:56.
Aditya is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 12:45   #2
BHPian

Re: Volvo revises prices of all its cars in India

They had recently advertised in the local newspaper and were getting rid of their Test Drive cars sold as "new" with complete warranties at a significant discount. I am unsure if the discount was from the company end or the dealer end. Either way, if I remember correctly most cars had less than 200 kms. on the odometer. However, besides the diplomatic community, you hardly see any Volvos on the road in Bombay.
Old 2nd April 2016, 17:09   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
However, besides the diplomatic community, you hardly see any Volvos on the road in Bombay.
+1.

However, just saw a black XC90 with beige/brown interior climbing up Malalbar Hill - just a few minutes ago, ironically. (MHO1, no CC plates)

Was pretty surprised to see it, actually!

Saw many older Norwegian XC90s in Denmark over the last few days - they were quite impressive, as seen from a 320d wagon.

Newer one is much more of a looker though...

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy : 2nd April 2016 at 17:15.
SuperFlyBoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 23:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
+1.

However, just saw a black XC90 with beige/brown interior climbing up Malalbar Hill - just a few minutes ago, ironically. (MHO1, no CC plates)

Was pretty surprised to see it, actually!

Saw many older Norwegian XC90s in Denmark over the last few days - they were quite impressive, as seen from a 320d wagon.

Newer one is much more of a looker though...
I see one every now and then close to my office premises in Tardeo. They come for resale too and the prices can be termed "throwaway". Given their small market share and their niche demand they don't command a resale.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 01:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Volvo is the only brand known for inconsistent pricing for customers in Hyderabad(some times 3 to 4 lakhs)
Heard that the company doesn't impose an maximum retail pricing, resulting in dealers controlling prices.
This is what I heard regarding the Hyderabad dealer, can't say if it holds true across India.

Others can pitch in.

Last edited by ecosport rules : 3rd April 2016 at 01:26.
Old 3rd April 2016, 03:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I see one every now and then close to my office premises in Tardeo. They come for resale too and the prices can be termed "throwaway". Given their small market share and their niche demand they don't command a resale.
Not sure what resale would mean - can you clarify?

How much of a discount do they command then - for how vehicles of what age/mileage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Volvo is the only brand known for inconsistent pricing for customers in Hyderabad(some times 3 to 4 lakhs)
Heard that the company doesn't impose an maximum retail pricing, resulting in dealers controlling prices.
This is what I heard regarding the Hyderabad dealer, can't say if it holds true across India.

Others can pitch in.
Understand that there is only 1 dealer in Mumbai - so I guess he holds all the cards if one were intent on buying a Volvo...!
Old 3rd April 2016, 10:20   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, besides the diplomatic community, you hardly see any Volvos on the road in Bombay.
That says something of Volvo's quality and image outside India.

Quote:
They come for resale too and the prices can be termed "throwaway". Given their small market share and their niche demand they don't command a resale.
You are most likely right on that score. What is relevant is whether when you buy a car how important is resale value 10 years out and what is the impact of the difference between great and poor re-sale value after adjusting for inflation in 10 years. I suppose it will be different for each individual buyer. In my case I don't factor it in at all as I don't have the skill to judge a price 10 years or even 7 years out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Volvo is the only brand known for inconsistent pricing for customers in Hyderabad(some times 3 to 4 lakhs) Heard that the company doesn't impose an maximum retail pricing, resulting in dealers controlling prices. This is what I heard regarding the Hyderabad dealer, can't say if it holds true across India. Others can pitch in.
Thank you for this input. If you have hard data please share it with me. As an XC60 owner & driver and a potential client for the S.90 I certainly would like to take this up with their management in India if supported by facts. My personal buying experience however did not indicate this lack of a maximum retail price.

Happy car happy owner.....
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo revises prices of all its cars in India-volvo-7.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 10:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
Not sure what resale would mean - can you clarify?

How much of a discount do they command then - for how vehicles of what age/mileage?

Understand that there is only 1 dealer in Mumbai - so I guess he holds all the cards if one were intent on buying a Volvo...!
I was offered an S60 with 13000 odd on the odometer and less than 2 years old for about 14 lacs. It was a diesel automatic - I am unsure of which variant. I asked the dealer what about maintenance and parts and he said with the assurance only a car dealer or a politician can muster - "Nothing will happen to the car for 100,000 kms".
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 10:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was offered an S60 with 13000 odd on the odometer and less than 2 years old for about 14 lacs. It was a diesel automatic - I am unsure of which variant. I asked the dealer what about maintenance and parts and he said with the assurance only a car dealer or a politician can muster - "Nothing will happen to the car for 100,000 kms".
What he said is kind of true. Unlike the Germans, Volvo has zilch reliability issues. Most parts of Europe have volvos that have run 6 or even 7 digit odo numbers without issues. Parts and service are also pretty cheap compared to the German big three. Average service would be in the 15000 ball park or less.

Also just to add regarding pricing - bargain hard. You can take quite a few lacs off the published prices. I got 5 lacs off list and free extended warranty on a new car. For demo stock, it would be much more.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 3rd April 2016 at 11:00.
reignofchaos is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 11:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
What he said is kind of true. Unlike the Germans, Volvo has zilch reliability issues. Most parts of Europe have volvos that have run 6 or even 7 digit odo numbers without issues. Parts and service are also pretty cheap compared to the German big three. Average service would be in the 15000 ball park or less.
That might indeed be true, but the question isn't really about reliability.

A Sedan like the S60 which has run 13000kms as a test drive vehicle, would have definitely taken a bit of abuse on the roads. These cars are adapted for our market but definitely not designed for it. The car would have encountered so many people, almost all of whom will be insensitive and unfamiliar to the particular model and the way it drives, some who think they are "amazing drivers" charging down patchy roads at the first chance to scare the sales guy or showoff to their friends and god only knows what kind of driving the service attendants at the showroom would have treated it with. All of this is done for 13000kms that is like a round trip going up and down the country (southern-most tip to northern most border) about 2-3 times with a cocktail of wrong drivers the least wrong of which are people who are new to the car.

It would be safe to assume that brake pads, suspension linkages and few other bits and bobs will need replacement. Diagnosing and rectifying every little detail like this is going to be annoying especially if you are buying a "new" car. Hence Invidious' quite frankly, understandable apprehension.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 3rd April 2016 at 11:47.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 12:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

A Sedan like the S60 which has run 13000kms as a test drive vehicle, would have definitely taken a bit of abuse on the roads. These cars are adapted for our market but definitely not designed for it. The car would have encountered so many people, almost all of whom will be insensitive and unfamiliar to the particular model and the way it drives, some who think they are "amazing drivers" charging down patchy roads at the first chance to scare the sales guy or showoff to their friends and god only knows what kind of driving the service attendants at the showroom would have treated it with. All of this is done for 13000kms that is like a round trip going up and down the country (southern-most tip to northern most border) about 2-3 times with a cocktail of wrong drivers the least wrong of which are people who are new to the car.

It would be safe to assume that brake pads, suspension linkages and few other bits and bobs will need replacement. Diagnosing and rectifying every little detail like this is going to be annoying especially if you are buying a "new" car. Hence Invidious' quite frankly, understandable apprehension.
Well the risk is accounted for when you are being offered the car for probably a third of the real price. The question now would be whether the risk is worth taking and whether it makes sense to buy a test drive car. That is something the buyer must decide. A 2 year old TD car would probably have had wear and tear akin to a 3-4 year old single person driven car. So that must be taken into consideration obviously. He/she can of course ask them to change all wear and tear parts before delivery.

The fact here is that the buyer knows it is a TD car and can negotiate the package as desired. At least they are not being unethical and trying to pawn off TD and demo cars as new.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 3rd April 2016 at 12:35.
Old 3rd April 2016, 12:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

The post piqued my curiosity and I just looked up the features of the S60 Kinetic versus the other variants. At the revised prices the Kinetic is terrific value for money with all the really important features intact.

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 3rd April 2016, 12:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Well the risk is accounted for when you are being offered the car for probably a third of the real price....

...The question now would be whether the risk is worth taking and whether it makes sense to buy a test drive car. That is something the buyer must decide.

The fact here is that the buyer knows it is a TD car and can negotiate the package as desired. At least they are not being unethical and trying to pawn off TD and demo cars as new.
Well I would say possibly a third and just as possibly more like a bit less than half.

Yup precisely. I was merely pointing out that a good reliability record doesn't mean one need not think about parts and maintenance when jumping into such a deal.

No one said anything about unethical practices mate

Anyway, I suppose we have digressed now. This thread simply highlights the fact that all in all Volvo seems to be run by some nice folks. With C-Classes pushing the boundary of what a premium mid-size sedan can command, it is nice to see Volvo actually passing on such major benefits to the customer. From the invention and resistance to patent the seatbelt, to making the most vfm premium SUV (XC90), it looks like good guys have always been a part of Volvo and it sort of shows in the company's outreach.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 3rd April 2016 at 12:24.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:31   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

FYI - this is was not a test drive vehicle. It had only one original owner. Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier.
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:52   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
FYI - this is was not a test drive vehicle. It had only one original owner. Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier.
In that case at Rs. 14 lakhs the S.60 is a good deal in my opinion. Of course you should take the normal prudent precautions of PDI, test drive, check for accidents and ask Volvo for the service record. It has probably completed only the first service. Volvo parts are expensive if your measure is Maruti. But relative to the German trio the parts are better priced. You can read about an owners long term experience with Volvo S.60 here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ip-review.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks