Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2016, 11:57   #1
Team-BHP Support

Frank Schloeder appointed as acting President of BMW India

Frank Schloeder (41), currently Director Marketing at BMW India, has been appointed as acting President of BMW Group India. He is scheduled to take up this position from May 1, 2016.

Frank Schloeder appointed as acting President of BMW India-1.jpeg

Born in Trier, Germany on November 14, 1974, Schloeder completed International Studies in Business Administration from the University of Munster, Germany and Montpellier Business School, France. He began his career with BMW in France in 1997.

Schloeder replaces Philipp von Sahr (58), current President of BMW India, who will move to BMW Niederlassung in Berlin, Germany.
Aditya is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 13:10   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Frank Schloeder appointed as acting President of BMW India

This is great news to hear. Frank is a proper proper petrol head. He was putting in some hot laps himself during the chennai BMW M event.

From the long interaction I had with him, he seems to understand the Indian market pretty well. He was one of the key guys involved in getting all BMW's to come with space saver tyre for India. If you see now all BMW's have space saver tyre in the boot.

Also, getting all the M cars available in India in a short span of time. Till a couple of years back BMW didn't have a single M car on sale in India.

Great to see true petrol heads in leading positions.
Vid6639 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 13:38   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Had met Frank a few months back at a private event & he indeed is a petrol head

I also had the opportunity to open heartedly speak out on why BMW is not providing 'Manual' transmission option for Indian market (surprisingly not available on the M3 & M4 also which are CBU's ) of which he was of the mutual agreement of the same and himself a purist & in favour of M/T which was good to hear.

Now lets see how things shape up in the coming months.
karan561 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 15:05   #4
Team-BHP Support

I interacted with Frank at a 7 series preview and had a good chat with him. He does understand the Indian market well, and I'm sure we will see a big change in BMW India from now on. This is a great move for the brand.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 15:18   #5
Team-BHP Support

with all the losses and pricing fiasco , this was supposed to happen albeit little late in my opinion.

New guy with Marketing position - I am not sure if he was independently responsible for pricings previously - they seriously need to stop chasing Mercedes. They have not updated their prices after budget because Mercedes is going slow , I think BMW has fairly good products and a fan following which keep on repetitive buying. What they need to do is Stop discounting of their products and instead revise List Prices so that customers can have the advantage of lower on-road prices. Coming to M Cars - they have not priced these correctly and at the listed prices hardly any of these have being sold - Manual - in my opinion, good for discussions - how many will actually buy?
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 15:33   #6
Team-BHP Support

Pardon me if I'm mistaken, but I believe BMW does not have a single petrol car in their line-up, barring the M cars and the Minis of course. Let's hope Frank Schloeder's appointment changes that. I'd certainly like to see more interesting cars from the BMW stable, like the 430i / 435i / 440i Grand Coupe - a car that I believe, could take the fight to the Audi S5 Sportback.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th April 2016 at 15:34.
suhaas307 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 15:59   #7
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2016 at 12:29.
aveemashfaq is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th April 2016, 17:16   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
believe BMW does not have a single petrol car in their line-up,
Yes , they don't have any Petrol variants except for the one's you listed and new 7 . I think they had issues with 8 Cylinder Petrol in past due to fuel quality and even 6 cylinders demand premium petrol which can be an issue here.

of course, they can get a 6 cylinder petrol 3 series but then how many will actually buy this when they had so bad numbers for 4 cylinders in past & talking about manuals I will best leave these for blogs

Perhaps they should consider getting M2 at 65-75 Lac price point , there can be many takers after some very good reviews about this new model.

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th April 2016 at 17:27.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 12:35   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great to hear of the new appointment, especially after reading the comments above in support of him.

Philipp von Sahr was awfully incompetent. Under his leadership, BMW went from a leadership position to last. In a luxury market that grew, Sahr actually lost sales. His predecessor - Andreas Schaaf - was very aggressive and his team fought tooth & nail for market share. Sahr didn't seem like he was bothered at all.

Frank is just 41, similar to Andreas who was 39 or 40 years old when he took over the reins. Hope to see the same aggression that BMW had 5 years back. Frank won't be around for long though. 'Acting President' means a temporary position, unless he really pulls off some magic which makes his stay longer.

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2016 at 12:37.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 18:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Had met Frank a few months back at a private event & he indeed is a petrol head

I also had the opportunity to open heartedly speak out on why BMW is not providing 'Manual' transmission option for Indian market (surprisingly not available on the M3 & M4 also which are CBU's ) of which he was of the mutual agreement of the same and himself a purist & in favour of M/T which was good to hear.

Now lets see how things shape up in the coming months.
Whats the big deal in selling a MT M3/M4? They are all full imports, right? All they need to do is take the order and ship a RHD car specced with a stick, isn't it? We have manual e90 m3's here on our roads.
Old 21st April 2016, 19:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Frank Schloeder (41), currently Director Marketing at BMW India, has been appointed as acting President of BMW Group India. He is scheduled to take up this position from May 1, 2016.

Attachment 1499056

Born in Trier, Germany on November 14, 1974, Schloeder completed International Studies in Business Administration from the University of Munster, Germany and Montpellier Business School, France. He began his career with BMW in France in 1997.

Schloeder replaces Philipp von Sahr (58), current President of BMW India, who will move to BMW Niederlassung in Berlin, Germany.
Great news indeed. Frank is good friend and I just congratulated him and had a brief discussion. I know Frank since last 4 years, apart from being a great human being, he is also very passionate about the brand and truly lives by BMW values. He is a forward thinker and I am sure BMW India will see better days under his leadership.
rishi_kapoor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 21:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
'Acting President' means a temporary position, unless he really pulls off some magic which makes his stay longer.

Just confirmed, this is a permanent tenure position and not "acting" as mentioned in economic times.
rishi_kapoor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 08:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Whats the big deal in selling a MT M3/M4? They are all full imports, right? All they need to do is take the order and ship a RHD car specced with a stick, isn't it? We have manual e90 m3's here on our roads.
The M3/M4 are not exempt from Indian homologation regulations. A vehicle with an additional gearbox option will have to go through the entire range of tests which may not make business sense for BMW India. However, new leadership can change those decisions.
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:10   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Just confirmed, this is a permanent tenure position and not "acting" as mentioned in economic times.
That's fantastic to hear and I hope it's true. Just FYI: It wasn't Economic Times, but BMW themselves who called him an 'acting president'. Here's their press release:

Quote:
Mr. Frank Schloeder appointed as acting President of BMW Group India.

Mr. Philipp von Sahr to assume executive position at BMW Group in Berlin.

Gurgaon. Mr. Frank Schloeder (41), currently Director Marketing at BMW India has been appointed as acting President of BMW Group India (effective 1 May 2016).

In his new role, Mr. Philipp von Sahr (58), will head BMW Niederlassung in Berlin, Germany. During the tenure of Mr. Philipp von Sahr as President, BMW Group India successfully stood ground in a fiercely competitive environment and maintained its momentum in the Indian luxury car market.

Born in Trier, Germany on 14 November 1974, Mr. Frank Schloeder completed International Studies in Business Administration from University of Munster, Germany and Montpellier Business School, France. He began his career with BMW in France in 1997.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 13:26   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshman1645 View Post
The M3/M4 are not exempt from Indian homologation regulations. A vehicle with an additional gearbox option will have to go through the entire range of tests which may not make business sense for BMW India. However, new leadership can change those decisions.
As far as I know, they are exempt. Only cars below 40k USD have to be homogolated. How do you think Mercedes has been launching so many different CBUs in the past year or so.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks