Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2006, 21:10   #1
BHPian

Is it true that post launch of New ZEN in October, Alto will be upgraded to Old Zen Engine? The result: Alto engine with 996 cc / 1.0 L and the new Zen engine as 1.1.

Any comments or updates on this?
Old 26th September 2006, 22:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Acording to magazine/website information new ZEN will be Suzuki MR Wagon which was sold in japan 6 yrs back, look wise its Suzuki MR Wagon and most probably engine will be taken from wagon R with few tuning, MR Wagon is based on alto/wagon R platform, they also hinted its just master mind of MUL producing 3 birds (New Zen, Wagon R, Alto) from single egg (all share same platform/engine).

NewZen is compitetion to upcoming new Santro and GM's Spark.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 27th September 2006, 09:25   #3
BHPian

Does that mean, the new Alto prices are gonna be increased?

I was wondering if this is the case that the new Alto would have a better engine then why not get it changed to the new engine. Do you guys think that they would take the old engine and place the new engine on to this car?
By the way I have Alto 2003 model. Very curious to know about it.
Old 27th September 2006, 10:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat
Acording to magazine/website information new ZEN will be Suzuki MR Wagon which was sold in japan 6 yrs back
Even i have heard this... ...mr wagon is a really pathetic looking car...hoping that they dont launch mr wagon as the new zen..
Old 27th September 2006, 18:52   #5
BHPian

I don't think Maruti will pay around with Alto at this stage. Alto is the top-selling car of India today. Maybe they can launch Alto 1.0 as a entirely different version or so. MR Wagon as new Zen? I am not convinced with the design either. Zen should be more like earlier Zen rather than like Wagon R!
Old 27th September 2006, 19:18   #6
BHPian

[SIZE=2]If Maruti wants to do it why did they discountiue Alto VX with 1.1L engine in the first place??[/SIZE]
Old 27th September 2006, 19:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
[SIZE=2]If Maruti wants to do it why did they discountiue Alto VX with 1.1L engine in the first place??[/SIZE]
I guess Alto VX 1.1 was in competition with Zen so they removed that variant. Now with Zen being stopped, probably they are considering for an upgrade. Just a thought!

Also, I have heard that you can still get an Alto 1.1L one if you place an order. They put in Wagon R engine and the cost is placed around the wagon r price.
Old 27th September 2006, 22:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinz
Is it true that post launch of New ZEN in October, Alto will be upgraded to Old Zen Engine? The result: Alto engine with 996 cc / 1.0 L and the new Zen engine as 1.1.

Tell us the source of you information and then we can comment on the probability of it being true.
Old 27th September 2006, 22:25   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinz

Where might you have read this?!
Old 27th September 2006, 22:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
This is the reason that MUL might not come out out with a more powerful Alto soon. It would canabalise the sales of the new ZEN and Wagon R. I did ask for the 1.1 engine when I brought my Alto. No such options exists atleast in chennai.
Old 27th September 2006, 23:07   #11
BHPian

ruled out by SA

Had been to Maruti *** today, the service advisor ruled out any such move. Also said swift diesel could some in 2007. Same for new zen ... its launch data might get extended. (keeping in mind how public looks at new insurance deregulation) everyone is keeping the fingers crossed... they have this fear that public might stop using cars....(just like they are paraniod about fuel economy), they might get paranoid about insurance.
Old 27th September 2006, 23:09   #12
BHPian

Intially Alto came with an Alto SPIN version which is the same as the current avatar, and then they phased out the 1.1..! However I also enquired on all options with an Alto when I was car hunting a few months back and don't recall any dealer talking of the Alto 1.1 retrofitted with the Wagon R engine on Custom Order basis, I think All what maruti offers on custom basis is the Handicap car or the Automatic varient. Even the Web does not mention any such option, Which if it was available it would kill the sales of any ZEN,Wagon R, XETA, Santro or whatever small car in the market simply because the Alto 1.1 was a legend in its class..!
Old 28th September 2006, 11:15   #13
BHPian

Well, my friend was telling this to me. He is planning to pick an Alto. So I am not sure how authentic is the information. That is why I posted here to check if it is true or not!
Old 29th September 2006, 00:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

If the Zen (in its current form is finally discontinued) then offerring its engine on the Alto in one of its variants will ensure that it will not clash with Wagon R (as the previous VX 1.1 was clashing with both the Wagon R as well as the Zen) and the bigger drivers car would be the Swift. Could be a masterstroke. But is the Zen engine to Alto engine Bay swap possible?
Old 12th October 2006, 17:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

the zen is about 12 years old, it has seen several facelifts... i guess it is time to "retire" and move on. however, the alto 1.1 was taken off due to the fact it competed directly with the zen and wagon R. it was much cheaper than the two and hence ate into the market. the alto itself was introduced to phase out the 800, but after noticing the popularity of the 800, MUL decided against the move, and kept both. I guess the Zlto Vxi would have been quite a pocket rocket!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks